Weird Network directory in Home folder - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Weird Network directory in Home folder - Ubuntu ; My Home directory grew unexpectedly over the past week: a shiny new Network directory in my Home dir, full of subdirectories. Sure it must be a website that put it there. When I do a Dir list I get this ...

  1. Weird Network directory in Home folder

    My Home directory grew unexpectedly over the past week: a shiny new Network
    directory in my Home dir, full of subdirectories. Sure it must be a website
    that put it there. When I do a Dir list I get this

    B LCDNET

    ../B:
    OLDNBROKEN

    ../B/OLDNBROKEN:
    C$ Editable NETLOGON PWRCHUTE SALES DOCS PRE 2002 victor
    D$ Geoff NT's CD Remote Clock Standard
    ls: ./B/OLDNBROKEN/C$: Connection timed out

    And it stops at each subdir, and spits out the same time out error.
    Needless to say, rm -fr does not work on it either. Is there any way to
    delete this crap?

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!

  2. Re: Weird Network directory in Home folder

    On 2008-02-29, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    > My Home directory grew unexpectedly over the past week: a shiny new Network
    > directory in my Home dir, full of subdirectories. Sure it must be a website
    > that put it there. When I do a Dir list I get this
    >
    > B LCDNET
    >
    > ./B:
    > OLDNBROKEN
    >
    > ./B/OLDNBROKEN:
    > C$ Editable NETLOGON PWRCHUTE SALES DOCS PRE 2002 victor
    > D$ Geoff NT's CD Remote Clock Standard
    > ls: ./B/OLDNBROKEN/C$: Connection timed out
    >
    > And it stops at each subdir, and spits out the same time out error.
    > Needless to say, rm -fr does not work on it either. Is there any way to
    > delete this crap?

    root might have the power to blow it away.

  3. Re: Weird Network directory in Home folder

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-02-29, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >> My Home directory grew unexpectedly over the past week: a shiny new Network
    >> directory in my Home dir, full of subdirectories. Sure it must be a website
    >> that put it there. When I do a Dir list I get this
    >>
    >> B LCDNET
    >>
    >> ./B:
    >> OLDNBROKEN
    >>
    >> ./B/OLDNBROKEN:
    >> C$ Editable NETLOGON PWRCHUTE SALES DOCS PRE 2002 victor
    >> D$ Geoff NT's CD Remote Clock Standard
    >> ls: ./B/OLDNBROKEN/C$: Connection timed out
    >>
    >> And it stops at each subdir, and spits out the same time out error.
    >> Needless to say, rm -fr does not work on it either. Is there any way to
    >> delete this crap?
    >>

    > root might have the power to blow it away.

    Not if it "spits out the same time out error" again.
    If it complains about a "Connection timed out", this sounds like some
    remote mounted directory/share and it would be better to get to the root
    of this:
    - what does "mount" have to say about this directory?
    - is the "home directory" local or remote?
    - what is in /var/log/messages or one of the other messages files, e.g.
    from samba when this occurs?

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  4. Re: Weird Network directory in Home folder

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Josef Moellers had the audacity to say that:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-29, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >>> My Home directory grew unexpectedly over the past week: a shiny new Network
    >>> directory in my Home dir, full of subdirectories. Sure it must be a website
    >>> that put it there. When I do a Dir list I get this
    >>>
    >>> B LCDNET
    >>>
    >>> ./B:
    >>> OLDNBROKEN
    >>>
    >>> ./B/OLDNBROKEN:
    >>> C$ Editable NETLOGON PWRCHUTE SALES DOCS PRE 2002 victor
    >>> D$ Geoff NT's CD Remote Clock Standard
    >>> ls: ./B/OLDNBROKEN/C$: Connection timed out
    >>>
    >>> And it stops at each subdir, and spits out the same time out error.
    >>> Needless to say, rm -fr does not work on it either. Is there any way to
    >>> delete this crap?
    >>>

    >> root might have the power to blow it away.
    >>

    > Not if it "spits out the same time out error" again.
    > If it complains about a "Connection timed out", this sounds like some
    > remote mounted directory/share and it would be better to get to the root
    > of this:
    > - what does "mount" have to say about this directory?
    > - is the "home directory" local or remote?
    > - what is in /var/log/messages or one of the other messages files, e.g.
    > from samba when this occurs?

    Thanks Josef! A quick *umount Network* did the trick. Geez, that was weird!
    How do you suppose that thing got there? Anyway, thanks for pointing me in
    the right direction with the mount/umount.

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!