Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System - Ubuntu ; I have been running a dual boot XP/Gutsy system for about 2 months now. It is setup to boot using Grub with a menu entry to select XP. In the last 2 weeks I have had 3 or 4 incidents ...

  1. Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System

    I have been running a dual boot XP/Gutsy system for about 2 months now.
    It is setup to boot using Grub with a menu entry to select XP. In the last
    2 weeks I have had 3 or 4 incidents where XP went to standby and could not
    be resumed. I get the "resume failure, press any key to continue" white
    text on a black screen message. When I press any key, the system goes to
    the PXE pre-boot (I think that's correct) and restarts.

    Has anybody else seen this behavior? Any hints on where to start troubleshooting?

    Thanks for any advice,
    Jim

  2. Re: Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 03:02:20 GMT
    Jim Edmondson wrote:

    > When I press any key, the system goes to
    > the PXE pre-boot (I think that's correct) and restarts.

    Sounds like your boot partition is corrupted. Can you see your XP files
    from Ubuntu?

    --
    live, or leave & let live.
    :-)

  3. Re: Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System

    Jim Edmondson wrote:
    > I have been running a dual boot XP/Gutsy system for about 2 months now.
    > It is setup to boot using Grub with a menu entry to select XP. In the last
    > 2 weeks I have had 3 or 4 incidents where XP went to standby and could not
    > be resumed. I get the "resume failure, press any key to continue" white
    > text on a black screen message. When I press any key, the system goes to
    > the PXE pre-boot (I think that's correct) and restarts.
    >
    > Has anybody else seen this behavior? Any hints on where to start troubleshooting?

    What am i missing? Seems like your problem is with XP, no?

    XP newsgroups that-a-way --->>>

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:07:52 -0800, Holz >
    wrote in message <20080227190752.05d488dc@laptop>:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 03:02:20 GMT
    > Jim Edmondson wrote:
    >
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > Sounds like your boot partition is corrupted. Can you see your XP files
    > from Ubuntu?

    Yes, I am able to open files from non-encrypted folders in my XP partition.

    --
    Jim
    posted from Ubuntu/Pan

  5. Re: Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:01:57 +0000, johnny bobby bee > wrote in message
    <9Muxj.41765$FO1.24084@edtnps82>:

    > Jim Edmondson wrote:
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > What am i missing? Seems like your problem is with XP, no?
    >
    > XP newsgroups that-a-way --->>>

    It may very well be, but this never happened before the dual boot
    arrangement. Therefore, I am suspicious that it is due to Ubuntu or
    some interaction between the operating systems now that Ubuntu is the the
    boot partition.

    --
    Jim
    posted from Ubuntu/Pan

  6. Re: Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:52:58 -0600, Joe > wrote in message
    :

    > On 2008-02-29, Jim Edmondson wrote:
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > If you resized an XP partition to get the free space for the
    > dual-boot, do you have enough contiguous free space for the
    > hibernation and swap files?
    >
    > Boot into XP, turn off Hibernation, turn off swap, defrag the drive a
    > couple of times, then re-enable both and try again.

    thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try

    --
    Jim
    posted from Ubuntu/Pan

  7. Re: Resume Failure on Dual Boot XP/Gutsy System

    On 2008-02-29, Jim Edmondson wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:01:57 +0000, johnny bobby bee >> wrote in message
    ><9Muxj.41765$FO1.24084@edtnps82>:
    >
    >> Jim Edmondson wrote:
    >>> [quoted text muted]

    >> What am i missing? Seems like your problem is with XP, no?
    >>
    >> XP newsgroups that-a-way --->>>

    > It may very well be, but this never happened before the dual boot
    > arrangement. Therefore, I am suspicious that it is due to Ubuntu or
    > some interaction between the operating systems now that Ubuntu is the the
    > boot partition.

    If you resized an XP partition to get the free space for the
    dual-boot, do you have enough contiguous free space for the
    hibernation and swap files?

    Boot into XP, turn off Hibernation, turn off swap, defrag the drive a
    couple of times, then re-enable both and try again.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread