Change I.P. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Change I.P. - Ubuntu ; Here is a question someone may or may not know. In Ubuntu how do you change an External I.P.? Not the one assigned to the machine but the one on the ISP itself. I have rebooted the cable modem and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Change I.P.

    Here is a question someone may or may not know. In Ubuntu how do you
    change an External I.P.? Not the one assigned to the machine but the one
    on the ISP itself. I have rebooted the cable modem and let it sink again
    and that will change it but there must be an easier way or not.
    Thanks for any ideas guys.

  2. Re: Change I.P.

    Bman wrote:
    > Here is a question someone may or may not know. In Ubuntu how do you
    > change an External I.P.? Not the one assigned to the machine but the
    > one on the ISP itself. I have rebooted the cable modem and let it
    > sink again and that will change it but there must be an easier way or
    > not.

    The condition with which I am acquainted with cable modems is that you
    cannot change the IP address which you are leased with any simplistic
    'maneuvers' such as powering down the cable modem for a while so that
    the modem will have to get a new lease.

    My experience with powering down the modem for convenient periods of
    time such as hours is that the new leased IP is most likely to be the
    same old leased IP. There is always a chance that it will not be, but
    the most likely condition is that it will.

    The longer the cable modem is left powered down, the slowly increasing
    likelihood that a new/different IP will be leased upon powerup. So, if
    you left your modem powered down for say a month, you might have a fair
    chance of getting a new different IP.

    There isn't anything you can do with Ubuntu, Windows or any other
    operating system in terms of what you are saying to the modem that will
    cause the modem to 'go get' a different IP than the one that was
    available when last leased.

    Most of the time when people are asking about how to change their IP
    they should be asking something else instead. I suspect that is the
    case here.

    Why don't you just say what you are trying to do? Until you say what
    you are really trying to do, there is no sense to tilting at windmills
    trying to change the IP that you are being leased by a process which is
    beyond your control.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Change I.P.

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Bman wrote:
    >> Here is a question someone may or may not know. In Ubuntu how do you
    >> change an External I.P.? Not the one assigned to the machine but the
    >> one on the ISP itself. I have rebooted the cable modem and let it
    >> sink again and that will change it but there must be an easier way or
    >> not.

    > The condition with which I am acquainted with cable modems is that you
    > cannot change the IP address which you are leased with any simplistic
    > 'maneuvers' such as powering down the cable modem for a while so that
    > the modem will have to get a new lease.
    >
    > My experience with powering down the modem for convenient periods of
    > time such as hours is that the new leased IP is most likely to be the
    > same old leased IP. There is always a chance that it will not be, but
    > the most likely condition is that it will.
    >
    > The longer the cable modem is left powered down, the slowly increasing
    > likelihood that a new/different IP will be leased upon powerup. So, if
    > you left your modem powered down for say a month, you might have a fair
    > chance of getting a new different IP.
    >
    > There isn't anything you can do with Ubuntu, Windows or any other
    > operating system in terms of what you are saying to the modem that will
    > cause the modem to 'go get' a different IP than the one that was
    > available when last leased.
    >
    > Most of the time when people are asking about how to change their IP
    > they should be asking something else instead. I suspect that is the
    > case here.
    >
    > Why don't you just say what you are trying to do? Until you say what
    > you are really trying to do, there is no sense to tilting at windmills
    > trying to change the IP that you are being leased by a process which is
    > beyond your control.

    Thanks for your reply and it gave me another idea to research Proxy
    Servers. I think that may be what I am looking for, thanks again.
    Bman.

  4. Re: Change I.P.

    Bman wrote:

    > Here is a question someone may or may not know. In Ubuntu how do you
    > change an External I.P.? Not the one assigned to the machine but the one
    > on the ISP itself. I have rebooted the cable modem and let it sink again
    > and that will change it but there must be an easier way or not.
    > Thanks for any ideas guys.

    You can't as it is DHCP assigned by your ISP. You'd be better off placing a
    router between your computer and the cable modem. That way you can power
    down your computer and the router will keep the connection open with your
    ISP and keep the lease on the assigned IP address. The added benefit is
    that these routers are NAT routers, offering you basic firewall protection.
    Your system will be much safer having one of these rather than a direct
    connection from your PC to the cable modem. The final benefit is that you
    assign a fixed IP address to your PC and any other boxes on your LAN.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  5. Re: Change I.P.

    Bman wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Bman wrote:

    >>> I have rebooted the cable modem and let it
    >>> sink again and that will change it but there must be an easier way
    >>> or not.

    Is this an 'untruthful question?' -- a question whose stated premise
    isn't truthful? It sounds like you are saying you can change the cable
    modem's IP by 'rebooting' it but you want an easier way.

    >> you cannot change the IP address which you are leased with any
    >> simplistic 'maneuvers' such as powering down the cable modem for a
    >> while so that the modem will have to get a new lease.

    >> Why don't you just say what you are trying to do?

    > Thanks for your reply and it gave me another idea to research Proxy
    > Servers. I think that may be what I am looking for, thanks again.

    Somehow I feel like I'm conversing with a shifty character who is
    evasive and doesn't 'look me in the eye' and answer forthrightly and
    honestly.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: Change I.P.

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:54:44 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Thanks for your reply and it gave me another idea to research Proxy
    >> Servers. I think that may be what I am looking for, thanks again.

    > Somehow I feel like I'm conversing with a shifty character who is
    > evasive and doesn't 'look me in the eye' and answer forthrightly and
    > honestly.

    Yeah, I'd say he's another little punk who's trying to hide something, for
    some reason. Perhaps he's a sporger, or just a run of the mill spammer.

    Either way he sounds like an asshole.

  7. Re: Change I.P.

    Bman schreef:

    > Thanks for your reply and it gave me another idea to research Proxy
    > Servers. I think that may be what I am looking for, thanks again.
    > Bman.

    Oh you got blacklisted!

  8. Re: Change I.P.

    Bman wrote:

    > Here is a question someone may or may not know. In Ubuntu how do you
    > change an External I.P.? Not the one assigned to the machine but the one
    > on the ISP itself. I have rebooted the cable modem and let it sink again
    > and that will change it but there must be an easier way or not.
    > Thanks for any ideas guys.

    Release your IP

    sudo dhclient -r eth0

    Renew IP

    sudo dhclient eth0

    --
    inox

  9. Re: Change I.P.

    inox wrote:
    > Bman wrote:
    >
    >> Here is a question someone may or may not know. In Ubuntu how do you
    >> change an External I.P.? Not the one assigned to the machine but the
    >> one on the ISP itself. I have rebooted the cable modem and let it
    >> sink again and that will change it but there must be an easier way
    >> or not.
    >> Thanks for any ideas guys.

    > Release your IP
    >
    > sudo dhclient -r eth0
    >
    > Renew IP
    >
    > sudo dhclient eth0

    And you get back the same IP you had in the first place.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Change I.P.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > inox wrote:

    >> Release your IP
    >>
    >> sudo dhclient -r eth0
    >>
    >> Renew IP
    >>
    >> sudo dhclient eth0

    > And you get back the same IP you had in the first place.

    Depends on your isp, i have to reset the modem before the renew.

    --
    inox

  11. Re: Change I.P.

    inox wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> inox wrote:

    >>> Release your IP
    >>>
    >>> sudo dhclient -r eth0
    >>>
    >>> Renew IP
    >>>
    >>> sudo dhclient eth0

    >> And you get back the same IP you had in the first place.

    > Depends on your isp, i have to reset the modem before the renew.

    I don't know of any cable modem providers for whom simply powerdown/up
    modem reboot will get the dynamic DHCP client a new-different dynamic IP
    address. The address which is going to be 'sitting there' waiting to be
    leased is going to be the same address which was just released. In my
    experience and the experience I've read about from others.

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: Change I.P.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > inox wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> And you get back the same IP you had in the first place.

    >> Depends on your isp, i have to reset the modem before the renew.

    > I don't know of any cable modem providers for whom simply powerdown/up
    > modem reboot will get the dynamic DHCP client a new-different dynamic IP
    > address. The address which is going to be 'sitting there' waiting to be
    > leased is going to be the same address which was just released. In my
    > experience and the experience I've read about from others.

    In that case change the mac address before the renew, so it seems as if
    you connect with another computer and getting another ip, it's
    still necessary to release the ip at first.

    --
    inox

  13. Re: Change I.P.

    inox wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I don't know of any cable modem providers for whom simply
    >> powerdown/up modem reboot will get the dynamic DHCP client a
    >> new-different dynamic IP address. The address which is going to be
    >> 'sitting there' waiting to be leased is going to be the same address
    >> which was just released. In my experience and the experience I've
    >> read about from others.

    > In that case change the mac address before the renew, so it seems as
    > if you connect with another computer and getting another ip, it's
    > still necessary to release the ip at first.

    We are not on the same page.

    This started out about one computer connected to one cable modem.
    Whether or not the cable modem's MAC is changeable or not is actually
    immaterial in this discussion. The client/customer with the cable modem
    has a 'deal' with the cable ISP, to provide hir cable modem's MAC with
    say one or two IP addresses. Let's just stick with one.

    Cable modem is powered off or just brought into the client's computer
    station/ cable connectivity. Cable modem is fired up. Cable modem
    talks to its gateway and gets itself an IP address. Computer user gets
    itself that address if it is hooked up to the cable modem directly
    without an intervening NAT.

    Now, the user thinks he wants a different IP address. No matter how
    many things are shut down and whether or not the user wants to change
    the MAC on his ethernet card, when the cable modem comes back up and
    asks for an IP, the cable modem's MAC is going to get the one in the par
    above, because that's the one that is 'most available'.

    --
    Mike Easter

  14. Re: Change I.P.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > inox wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> I don't know of any cable modem providers for whom simply
    >>> powerdown/up modem reboot will get the dynamic DHCP client a
    >>> new-different dynamic IP address. The address which is going to be
    >>> 'sitting there' waiting to be leased is going to be the same address
    >>> which was just released. In my experience and the experience I've
    >>> read about from others.

    >> In that case change the mac address before the renew, so it seems as
    >> if you connect with another computer and getting another ip, it's
    >> still necessary to release the ip at first.

    > We are not on the same page.
    >
    > This started out about one computer connected to one cable modem.
    > Whether or not the cable modem's MAC is changeable or not is actually
    > immaterial in this discussion. The client/customer with the cable modem
    > has a 'deal' with the cable ISP, to provide hir cable modem's MAC with
    > say one or two IP addresses. Let's just stick with one.
    >
    > Cable modem is powered off or just brought into the client's computer
    > station/ cable connectivity. Cable modem is fired up. Cable modem
    > talks to its gateway and gets itself an IP address. Computer user gets
    > itself that address if it is hooked up to the cable modem directly
    > without an intervening NAT.
    >
    > Now, the user thinks he wants a different IP address. No matter how
    > many things are shut down and whether or not the user wants to change
    > the MAC on his ethernet card, when the cable modem comes back up and
    > asks for an IP, the cable modem's MAC is going to get the one in the par
    > above, because that's the one that is 'most available'.

    I'm talking about the mac address of the network interface not the one
    from the modem. Because my English is not so good I'll try with an
    illustration ;-)

    IP before:

    IP after release, mac change and renew:

    --
    inox

  15. Re: Change I.P.

    inox wrote:

    > I'm talking about the mac address of the network interface not the one
    > from the modem. Because my English is not so good I'll try with an
    > illustration ;-)
    >
    > IP before:
    >
    > IP after release, mac change and renew:

    If your cable ISP provides more than one IP, you could run the output of
    the cable modem to a cheap 5-port switch, then to router(s), computers, etc.

    My ISP provides four, and this method gives me four WAN IPs (even though
    the bandwidth is shared).

    I would guess that to obtain a new IP, you would need to keep the
    assigned one alive with some network device, while pulling a new one
    from another port on the switch. Then you could move everything.

    --
    John

  16. Re: Change I.P.

    inox wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> The client/customer with the cable
    >> modem has a 'deal' with the cable ISP, to provide hir cable modem's
    >> MAC with say one or two IP addresses. Let's just stick with one.

    > I'm talking about the mac address of the network interface not the one
    > from the modem. Because my English is not so good I'll try with an
    > illustration ;-)
    >
    > IP before:
    >
    > IP after release, mac change and renew:

    That certainly does appear to illustrate your point, changing the IP
    from 213.118.1.159 to 213.118.1.186 in a few minutes.

    I don't think that would work with my provider. My understanding is
    that my provider knows my TV cable box by its MAC and my provider knows
    my cable modem by its MAC address. If I change the cable modem's MAC,
    it wouldn't give me a lease for the cable modem internet, and if I
    change the TV cable box MAC, it wouldn't give me cable TV subscription
    service.

    That result you are showing is acting more like an ASDL result than a
    cable result. Cable modems get/lease their IP differently than ADSL
    modems.

    Here's your provider http://www.telenet.be/en/home/ Your super fast
    secure Internet connection via ADSL or SDSL,

    Cable modems: the IP sticks very tightly to the client, almost like
    static, but 'theoretically' dynamic. Theoretically it could change with
    any new lease, but in reality it (almost) never does.

    DSL modems: the IP doesn't stick tightly to the client. But it /might/
    stay the same or it might not. Very variable.

    Dialup modems: no stickiness whatsoever. It is more likely to be a
    different IP every time the client connects. But it could possibly be
    the same IP twice in a row or even more.

    --
    Mike Easter

  17. Re: Change I.P.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > inox wrote:

    >> IP before:
    >>
    >> IP after release, mac change and renew:
    >>

    > That result you are showing is acting more like an ASDL result than a
    > cable result. Cable modems get/lease their IP differently than ADSL
    > modems.
    >
    > Here's your provider http://www.telenet.be/en/home/ Your super fast
    > secure Internet connection via ADSL or SDSL,

    My isp is definitely an cable provider
    If you want I'll post an
    picture from my Cybersurfer Wave cablemodem ;-)

    --
    inox

  18. Re: Change I.P.

    inox wrote:

    > My isp is definitely an cable provider
    > If you want I'll
    > post an picture from my Cybersurfer Wave cablemodem ;-)

    Once upon a time I leased more than one dynamic IP from my cable
    provider. Do you have two (or more) IPs?

    --
    Mike Easter

  19. Re: Change I.P.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > inox wrote:
    >
    >> My isp is definitely an cable provider
    >> If you want I'll
    >> post an picture from my Cybersurfer Wave cablemodem ;-)

    > Once upon a time I leased more than one dynamic IP from my cable
    > provider. Do you have two (or more) IPs?

    Two at the same time, now my IP is 213.118.1.164

    --
    inox

  20. Re: Change I.P.

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:54:05 +0100, inox wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Once upon a time I leased more than one dynamic IP from my cable
    >> provider. Do you have two (or more) IPs?

    > Two at the same time, now my IP is 213.118.1.164

    It seems there is something wrong with dhcp3, when I connect my PC (Ubuntu
    7.10) directly to the modem the IP is not released properly. With WinXP
    and my router it's no problem to obtain an other IP (even more than 2
    short after each other).

    Posted from WinXP, my IP 213.118.1.134

    --
    inox