Email Received Sync - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Email Received Sync - Ubuntu ; I don't even know if the title is correct for the problem I am not experiencing. Now that I have more than one computer on my in-house network, I can access email from any of them. I do use evolution ...

  1. Email Received Sync

    I don't even know if the title is correct for the problem I am not
    experiencing.

    Now that I have more than one computer on my in-house network, I can
    access email from any of them. I do use evolution on the Ubuntu boxes and
    Eudora on my Macs. I recently set up a new computer and went to check my
    email. I got 265 email downloading even though I had read all of them
    previously on the other computers. It took a while as some had big
    attachments.

    I use the mailbox my provider had provided. It was my understanding that
    the mail would be marked as read. I didn't realized it would be marked as
    read only locally and not at the remote mailbox.

    Am I missing something? How do I mark the emails read? I did select the
    options in the prefs. as 1) leave mail on server and 2) delete after 3
    days. So why did I get those old messages which were supposedly deleted
    after 3 days?

    Al

  2. Re: Email Received Sync

    Thunderbird & evolution have a 'leave messages on server' in the account
    settings > server. Make sure it is not checked.

  3. Re: Email Received Sync

    Al wrote:

    > Now that I have more than one computer on my in-house network, I can
    > access email from any of them. I do use evolution on the Ubuntu boxes
    > and Eudora on my Macs. I recently set up a new computer and went to
    > check my email. I got 265 email downloading even though I had read
    > all of them previously on the other computers. It took a while as
    > some had big attachments.

    If you are going to want to handle the same mailbox on more than one
    computer, IMAP is a better way to do it than POP.

    > I use the mailbox my provider had provided. It was my understanding
    > that the mail would be marked as read. I didn't realized it would be
    > marked as read only locally and not at the remote mailbox.
    >
    > Am I missing something? How do I mark the emails read? I did select
    > the options in the prefs. as 1) leave mail on server and 2) delete
    > after 3 days. So why did I get those old messages which were
    > supposedly deleted after 3 days?

    Re the prefs:

    In Evolution's Account Editor/ Receiving Options - there is a series of
    checks/options which are not radio buttons - leave message on server -
    delete after x days - disable support for all pop3 extensions

    When you leave the message on the server, unless some other agent
    downloads it and does *not* leave it on the server, it will be
    re-downloaded over and again. When you choose 'delete after x days' you
    are configuring how to handle/maintain the Evolution inbox account's
    items, not what is still sitting on the server.

    If you are trying to not ever download any message twice, you need to
    configure 'everything' - both Evolution & Eudora - to not leave it on
    the server.

    That configuration can cause a problem with having some received mail on
    one machine's db database and some on the other machine's db. Your
    subject, which is not mentioned in the body of your message, sez 'email
    received sync' which indicates that you are interested in some kind of
    synchronization which wishes you haven't yet described.

    I have an account for which I have several different mailuser agents
    accessing, and all of them but one leave the message/s on the server.
    One of them gets all of the messages and deletes all of the messages
    from the server.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Email Received Sync

    Al wrote:

    > I use the mailbox my provider had provided. It was my understanding that
    > the mail would be marked as read. I didn't realized it would be marked as
    > read only locally and not at the remote mailbox.
    >
    > Am I missing something? How do I mark the emails read? I did select the
    > options in the prefs. as 1) leave mail on server and 2) delete after 3
    > days. So why did I get those old messages which were supposedly deleted
    > after 3 days?
    >
    > Al

    Had you thought of using IMAP rather than POP (if your ISP offers it?) I
    have two computers each dual-booting and find that IMAP is by far the
    simplest way to handle email.

  5. Re: Email Received Sync

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:23:46 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >

    >> I use the mailbox my provider had provided. It was my understanding
    >> that the mail would be marked as read. I didn't realized it would be
    >> marked as read only locally and not at the remote mailbox.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something? How do I mark the emails read? I did select the
    >> options in the prefs. as 1) leave mail on server and 2) delete after 3
    >> days. So why did I get those old messages which were supposedly deleted
    >> after 3 days?
    >>
    >> Al

    > Had you thought of using IMAP rather than POP (if your ISP offers it?) I
    > have two computers each dual-booting and find that IMAP is by far the
    > simplest way to handle email.

    That's what I would have said too. My ISP is POP only so I use dovecot
    as my home IMAP server and getmail to retrieve mail from my ISP to my
    IMAP directories.

    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9

  6. Re: Email Received Sync

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:15:48 +0000, gnubie wrote:

    > Thunderbird & evolution have a 'leave messages on server' in the account
    > settings > server. Make sure it is not checked.

    OK, it is checked. But I had also checked the remove the messages after 3
    days. OK, I'll try unchecking it and see what happens.

    Al

  7. Re: Email Received Sync

    Al wrote:
    > OK, it is checked. But I had also checked the remove the messages
    > after 3 days. OK, I'll try unchecking it and see what happens.

    As I explained in an earlier post^1, that 3 days does not apply to the
    server, but to the Evolution inbox.

    ^1 Mike Easter wrote:
    > When you choose 'delete after x days'
    > you are configuring how to handle/maintain the Evolution inbox
    > account's items, not what is still sitting on the server.

    There is also a problem with trying to 'sync' pop email by
    deleting/removing from the server.

    That doesn't sync. Why did you put sync in your subject?

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: Email Received Sync

    prawn wrote:

    > That's what I would have said too. My ISP is POP only so I use dovecot
    > as my home IMAP server and getmail to retrieve mail from my ISP to my
    > IMAP directories.

    My current ISP is POP-only too. I either forward to, or have all my
    accounts POPed by www.spamcop.net and pay them US$30 a year for a the
    only email account I ever need to check. Highly-configurable
    spam-filtering with the option to report spam to the injecting IP. NB
    they're far too savvy to offer SMTP, that goes out through my current
    ISP (whatever that happens to be at the time). No involvement other
    than as very satisfied customer.

  9. Re: Email Received Sync

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > My current ISP is POP-only too. I either forward to, or have all my
    > accounts POPed by www.spamcop.net and pay them US$30 a year for a the
    > only email account I ever need to check.

    I don't have a SC mail account, so I'm speaking as an outsider, but....

    > Highly-configurable
    > spam-filtering with the option to report spam to the injecting IP. NB
    > they're far too savvy to offer SMTP,

    .... this is the part I don't think/ I'm not sure/ is accurate. The
    webpage faq only mentions popping, but the forum describes the beta test
    of the SC smtpauth as early as 2006 Aug, and/but there are many places
    in the forum archived up to 2006 Aug which state SC mail doesn't offer
    SMTP.

    And/But there is a cesmail smtp server answering on port 587

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: smtp.cesmail.net
    The IP address for the domain is: 216.154.195.57
    Connecting to the server on remote port: 587
    [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    220 relay.cesmail.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
    Query complete.

    And the webfaq doesn't seem to recognize that there is IMAP, but there
    is.

    > that goes out through my current
    > ISP (whatever that happens to be at the time). No involvement other
    > than as very satisfied customer.

    Another service with some similarities to SC's is cotse, and cotse
    provides smtp & smtpauth service.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Email Received Sync

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > ... this is the part I don't think/ I'm not sure/ is accurate. The
    > webpage faq only mentions popping, but the forum describes the beta test
    > of the SC smtpauth as early as 2006 Aug, and/but there are many places
    > in the forum archived up to 2006 Aug which state SC mail doesn't offer
    > SMTP.

    From hanging around in the forums for several years I have garnered
    that they experimented with it but in the end decided it was too
    dangerous. We're always telling hacked admins to switch off SMPT AUTH if
    it's not essential because it leaves them open to brute-force attacks.

    > And/But there is a cesmail smtp server answering on port 587
    >
    > Initiating server query ...
    > Looking up IP address for domain: smtp.cesmail.net
    > The IP address for the domain is: 216.154.195.57
    > Connecting to the server on remote port: 587
    > [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    > 220 relay.cesmail.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
    > Query complete.

    interesting... not available to paying customers, perhaps for use by staff?

    > And the webfaq doesn't seem to recognize that there is IMAP, but there
    > is.

    indeed there is imap.spamcop.net

    > Another service with some similarities to SC's is cotse, and cotse
    > provides smtp & smtpauth service.

    worth knowing, thanks.

  11. Re: Email Received Sync

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> And/But there is a cesmail smtp server answering on port 587
    >>
    >> Initiating server query ...

    This/that tool is a tiny Win tool called IDServe by Steve Gibson of GRC.
    I recently installed it under Wine 0.9.46 running under Ub 7.10 and it
    runs just fine.

    >> 220 relay.cesmail.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)

    > interesting... not available to paying customers, perhaps for use by
    > staff?

    So, does that mean that you as a paying customer tried it and you
    couldn't login? Or does the question mark mean that you didn't try it
    (yet)?

    >> Another service with some similarities to SC's is cotse, and cotse
    >> provides smtp & smtpauth service.

    > worth knowing, thanks.

    Cotse provides a lot of useful privacy services, proxies and such at an
    economical rate. The email only service costs more than SC's.

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: Email Received Sync

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Al wrote:
    >
    >> Now that I have more than one computer on my in-house network, I
    >> can access email from any of them. I do use evolution on the
    >> Ubuntu boxes and Eudora on my Macs. I recently set up a new
    >> computer and went to check my email. I got 265 email downloading
    >> even though I had read all of them previously on the other
    >> computers. It took a while as some had big attachments.

    > If you are going to want to handle the same mailbox on more than
    > one computer, IMAP is a better way to do it than POP.

    If he has everything networked anyhow, he would be better off
    setting up the newsreader on only one machine, and setting up
    network access to that reader. Then there will never be any
    confusion about where the mail is kept.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  13. Re: Email Received Sync

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:10:16 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now that I have more than one computer on my in-house network, I can
    >>> access email from any of them. I do use evolution on the Ubuntu boxes
    >>> and Eudora on my Macs. I recently set up a new computer and went to
    >>> check my email. I got 265 email downloading even though I had read all
    >>> of them previously on the other computers. It took a while as some had
    >>> big attachments.

    >> If you are going to want to handle the same mailbox on more than one
    >> computer, IMAP is a better way to do it than POP.

    > If he has everything networked anyhow, he would be better off setting up
    > the newsreader on only one machine, and setting up network access to
    > that reader. Then there will never be any confusion about where the
    > mail is kept.

    It's the email program. At any rate, since there is only one of me using
    the network, I only turn on the computer that I am using, be it the one
    in the bedroom, or the one in the den or the workshop. Why keep the
    computer running all day when I only use it when I get up to check my
    email?

    Why do I have so many? Because they cost me nothing. I get bits and
    pieces from my town's recycling center and build working computers out of
    them. You'd be surprised at the good stuff that is thrown out. And the
    software is free as it's Ubuntu! My latest acquisition is a laptop that
    cost $2300. What is it's problem? A bad hard drive. Jeesh! Now it's good
    again.

    Al

  14. Re: Email Received Sync

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:33:35 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > prawn wrote:
    >

    >> That's what I would have said too. My ISP is POP only so I use dovecot
    >> as my home IMAP server and getmail to retrieve mail from my ISP to my
    >> IMAP directories.
    >>

    > My current ISP is POP-only too. I either forward to, or have all my
    > accounts POPed by www.spamcop.net and pay them US$30 a year for a the
    > only email account I ever need to check. Highly-configurable
    > spam-filtering with the option to report spam to the injecting IP. NB
    > they're far too savvy to offer SMTP, that goes out through my current
    > ISP (whatever that happens to be at the time). No involvement other
    > than as very satisfied customer.

    Heh. TMTOWTDI :-)

    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9

  15. Re: Email Received Sync

    Al wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Why do I have so many? Because they cost me nothing. I get bits
    > and pieces from my town's recycling center and build working
    > computers out of them. You'd be surprised at the good stuff that
    > is thrown out. And the software is free as it's Ubuntu! My latest
    > acquisition is a laptop that cost $2300. What is it's problem? A
    > bad hard drive. Jeesh! Now it's good again.

    I'm not surprised, also being a believer in discarded hardware.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.