Ubuntu 7.10 - Changed CPU and Motherboard - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 - Changed CPU and Motherboard - Ubuntu ; Hi u all I've just changed a AMP Sempron system with a Pentium D 820+ and a Gigabyte Motherboard . First, I must say thatunlike windows, Ubuntu started well with the new config, and almost everything works well . But ...

  1. Ubuntu 7.10 - Changed CPU and Motherboard

    Hi u all

    I've just changed a AMP Sempron system with a Pentium D 820+ and a Gigabyte
    Motherboard . First, I must say thatunlike windows, Ubuntu started well with
    the new config, and almost everything works well . But I have 2 questions :

    - Should I do something to make sure everything is OK ?
    - I can't get lirc to work with VDR - I launch lirc, then vdr, and here is
    the result :
    jef@jef-kubuntu:~$ sudo setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

    jef@jef-kubuntu:~$ sudo lircd -n -d /dev/ttyS0

    lircd: lircd(realmagic) ready

    lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

    lircd: could not reset tty

    lircd: caught signal

    Complété

    And, even before I do anything with lirc, here is the 'dmesg' output :
    [ 4818.651856] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e064 ' to make it known.

    [ 4833.830801] atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xe4 on
    isa0060/serio0).

    [ 4833.830807] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e064 ' to make it known.

    [ 4834.222887] atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xe4 on
    isa0060/serio0).

    [ 4834.222893] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e064 ' to make it known.

    [ 4834.621352] atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xe4 on
    isa0060/serio0).

    [ 4834.621358] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e064 ' to make it known.
    ************************************************** ************

    VDR is OK and I can watch the TV, but I like my realmagic RC
    Thanks a lot for your help,

    cu,
    jf

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 - Changed CPU and Motherboard

    On 2008-02-27, jef_m hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hi u all
    >

    > I've just changed a AMP Sempron system with a Pentium D
    > 820+ and a Gigabyte Motherboard . First, I must say
    > thatunlike windows, Ubuntu started well with the new
    > config, and almost everything works well . But I have 2
    > questions :

    Did you have to change the kernel for your new CPU?
    I tried to compile a kernel, but I was out of luck, the first time
    in a couple of years that I saw "kernel panic" on my screen. :-/

    > - Should I do something to make sure everything is OK ?

    Except for the Kernel, if it works why? As I changed a
    motherboard on my other box (yet Graphic-card is in the
    shop...) I had to set up the Sound-card, it was a built in
    Chip, and it turned out that it was a USB device, so if you
    have some problem with the Sound, you might look into that.

    For the other question you asked, I'm sorry that I can't be
    of help with it. :-/

    Except I used the output "Use 'setkeycodes e064 '
    to make it known." in Google and it reveals that it relates
    to the keyboard so it seems. Are you using a USB keyboard,
    might help if you switch for the time-being to a stand
    PS2....

    HTH,

    Dragomir Kollaric

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 - Changed CPU and Motherboard

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:23:54 +0400, jef_m wrote:

    > Hi u all
    >
    > I've just changed a AMP Sempron system with a Pentium D 820+ and a
    > Gigabyte Motherboard . First, I must say thatunlike windows, Ubuntu
    > started well with the new config, and almost everything works well . But
    > I have 2 questions :
    >
    > - Should I do something to make sure everything is OK ? - I can't get
    > lirc to work with VDR - I launch lirc, then vdr, and here is the result

    Last time I did this, I had to retrain lirc to recognise the device
    again, but this a long time ago. My VDR box overheated and blew something
    serious when the lugs holding the heatsink to the CPU blew. I hope to
    have some time soon to have another go at getting it working again.

    Adrian

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 - Changed CPU and Motherboard

    "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    > On 2008-02-27, jef_m hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    > Did you have to change the kernel for your new CPU?
    > I tried to compile a kernel, but I was out of luck, the first time
    > in a couple of years that I saw "kernel panic" on my screen. :-/

    No, nothing to do , it launched everything OK
    I think I did get a generic architecture when I first installed it ?

    > Except for the Kernel, if it works why? As I changed a
    > motherboard on my other box (yet Graphic-card is in the
    > shop...) I had to set up the Sound-card, it was a built in
    > Chip, and it turned out that it was a USB device, so if you
    > have some problem with the Sound, you might look into that.

    Nothing to do for the sound card, alsa is ok with it

    > For the other question you asked, I'm sorry that I can't be
    > of help with it. :-/

    It's OK now : the 2nd serial port ( not present ) was enabled in the bios, I
    tried to disable it, and... it works !

    > Except I used the output "Use 'setkeycodes e064 '
    > to make it known." in Google and it reveals that it relates
    > to the keyboard so it seems. Are you using a USB keyboard,
    > might help if you switch for the time-being to a stand
    > PS2....
    >
    > HTH,

    I've seen some programs to fix it . The keyboard is a PS2 one, but
    multimedia, and a lot of keys are not set ,I'll ive a try later

    Thanks for your help

    jf

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 - Changed CPU and Motherboard

    "Adrian Challinor" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:23:54 +0400, jef_m wrote:
    >
    >> Hi u all
    >>
    >> I've just changed a AMP Sempron system with a Pentium D 820+ and a
    >> Gigabyte Motherboard . First, I must say thatunlike windows, Ubuntu
    >> started well with the new config, and almost everything works well . But
    >> I have 2 questions :
    >>
    >> - Should I do something to make sure everything is OK ? - I can't get
    >> lirc to work with VDR - I launch lirc, then vdr, and here is the result

    > Last time I did this, I had to retrain lirc to recognise the device
    > again, but this a long time ago. My VDR box overheated and blew something
    > serious when the lugs holding the heatsink to the CPU blew. I hope to
    > have some time soon to have another go at getting it working again.
    >
    > Adrian

    oups, I hope it won't happen here
    It's ok now, for lirc, I disabled the 2nd serial port in the bios, and it
    works

    thanks for your help
    jf

+ Reply to Thread