dansguardian gui - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on dansguardian gui - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I am fairly new at Linux. I have tried to install a web parental control. It is a gui for dansguardian. The script to install it is at: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Secur...ol-24501.shtml I downloaded it and ran the script and rebooted. ...

  1. dansguardian gui

    Hi all,

    I am fairly new at Linux.

    I have tried to install a web parental control. It is a gui for
    dansguardian. The script to install it is at:
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Secur...ol-24501.shtml

    I downloaded it and ran the script and rebooted. Dansguardian seems to be
    working because it blocked some adult websites. However, I am not sure how
    to access the GUI it said it was going to install. I have looked at the
    application menu but could not seem to find it. Does anyone know the command
    to bring up the GUI or where it's located in the application menu?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: dansguardian gui

    Daniel wrote:

    > I have tried to install a web parental control. It is a gui for
    > dansguardian. The script to install it is at:
    > http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Secur...ol-24501.shtml

    The softpedia site sez that the app is found in the default Ub CE, but
    that the script is designed to run on a fresh 'vanilla' Ub 6.10 and your
    mileage may vary if you use anything else.

    Softpedia gives a link to who they say is the developer, but that link
    doesn't seem to be correct. Related, but not the 'home' of
    dansguardian's developer.

    There's an ub page about dansguardian and the proxy tinyproxy.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Se...ansguardian%29
    DansGuardian Internet Content Filter Installation -- The goal of this
    document is to use GUI tools wherever possible.

    That app is in the universe repos.

    If I were wanting to install dansguardian, I think I would do it
    differently than the softpedia script. When I use a script, I like to
    'look at it' and see what it is going to do, especially if I'm been
    warned to use it within narrow confines different than what I'm doing.
    The ub help page also suggests that you might want to handle your proxy
    a particular way.

    I think I would install it with synaptic and I would follow the
    suggestions about the squid proxy.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: dansguardian gui

    Thank you, you are right. I did not expect it there as I was looking in the
    applications menu.

    The app can be found on menu bar at system/administration/configure parental
    controls.

    Also, if you want to run it from a terminal:
    /usr/local/apps/parental-control/UbuntuCE_Parental_Controls

    "ray" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:01:19 -0500, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am fairly new at Linux.
    >>
    >> I have tried to install a web parental control. It is a gui for
    >> dansguardian. The script to install it is at:
    >> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Secur...ol-24501.shtml
    >>
    >> I downloaded it and ran the script and rebooted. Dansguardian seems to
    >> be working because it blocked some adult websites. However, I am not
    >> sure how to access the GUI it said it was going to install. I have
    >> looked at the application menu but could not seem to find it. Does
    >> anyone know the command to bring up the GUI or where it's located in the
    >> application menu?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    > When I previously installed it, it appeared in the system menu.

  4. Re: dansguardian gui

    Daniel wrote:
    > Thank you, you are right. I did not expect it there as I was looking in
    > the applications menu.

    Please do not top-post in this ng.

  5. Re: dansguardian gui

    Daniel wrote:
    > Thank you, you are right. I did not expect it there as I was looking in
    > the applications menu.
    >
    > The app can be found on menu bar at system/administration/configure
    > parental controls.
    >
    > Also, if you want to run it from a terminal:
    > /usr/local/apps/parental-control/UbuntuCE_Parental_Controls
    >

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:01:19 -0500, Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I am fairly new at Linux.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to install a web parental control. It is a gui for
    >>> dansguardian. The script to install it is at:
    >>> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Secur...ol-24501.shtml
    >>>
    >>> I downloaded it and ran the script and rebooted. Dansguardian seems to
    >>> be working because it blocked some adult websites. However, I am not
    >>> sure how to access the GUI it said it was going to install. I have
    >>> looked at the application menu but could not seem to find it. Does
    >>> anyone know the command to bring up the GUI or where it's located in the
    >>> application menu?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance!

    >> When I previously installed it, it appeared in the system menu.

    My only comment would be, "If you are over 14 and not the winner of the
    ugly zit face crowd, just get a girlfriend.".
    Pictures of her would be a lot easier to explain than some porn (which
    when I do hit it, gets stranger every years.)
    If it's a game lockout, do your homework first, then get busy on the 'puter.
    Bill (non-gamer with a real life) Baka

  6. Re: dansguardian gui

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > My only comment would be, "If you are over 14 and not the winner of
    > the ugly zit face crowd, just get a girlfriend.".
    > Pictures of her would be a lot easier to explain than some porn (which
    > when I do hit it, gets stranger every years.)
    > If it's a game lockout, do your homework first, then get busy on the
    > 'puter. Bill (non-gamer with a real life) Baka

    Does this have something/anything to do with the post you replied to?

    I see a 'porn' remark, but I don't get it. Maybe you could
    summarize/paraphrase something for some context about/before 'my only
    comment would be'.

    It doesn't seem to apply to:

    > Thank you, you are right.

    or

    >> When I previously installed it, it appeared in the system menu.

    There is much to be said for trimming and contextualizing.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: dansguardian gui

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> My only comment would be, "If you are over 14 and not the winner of
    >> the ugly zit face crowd, just get a girlfriend.".
    >> Pictures of her would be a lot easier to explain than some porn (which
    >> when I do hit it, gets stranger every years.)
    >> If it's a game lockout, do your homework first, then get busy on the
    >> 'puter. Bill (non-gamer with a real life) Baka

    > Does this have something/anything to do with the post you replied to?
    >
    > I see a 'porn' remark, but I don't get it. Maybe you could
    > summarize/paraphrase something for some context about/before 'my only
    > comment would be'.
    >
    > It doesn't seem to apply to:
    >
    >> Thank you, you are right.

    > or
    >
    >>> When I previously installed it, it appeared in the system menu.

    > There is much to be said for trimming and contextualizing.

    Well,
    He wanted (or appeared to want access to adult sites so I thought the
    answer was relevant in his case. Not a Linux or Ubuntu answer but I
    thought the question was at that level.
    Bill

  8. Re: dansguardian gui

    **** OFF
    "Derek Turner" wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Thank you, you are right. I did not expect it there as I was looking in
    >> the applications menu.

    > Please do not top-post in this ng.

  9. Re: dansguardian gui

    stfu wrote:
    > **** OFF
    > "Derek Turner" wrote in message
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>> Thank you, you are right. I did not expect it there as I was looking in
    >>> the applications menu.

    >> Please do not top-post in this ng.

    Bottom post.
    WTF is the FO for?