Need help with Ubuntu Server Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Need help with Ubuntu Server Install - Ubuntu ; I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso During the install everything was going well until a window popped up requesting a media change to the disk labelled - Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016) Of course I don't have that disk and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

  1. Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso

    During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    requesting a media change to the disk labelled -

    Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)

    Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.

    Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    dumb thing I am overlooking?

    Thanks
    Roy

  2. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT, Roy Strachan
    wrote:

    >I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >
    >During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >
    >Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >
    >Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >
    >Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    >dumb thing I am overlooking?


    I think pehaps your disk made from the ISO (or perhaps the
    ISO itself) has a problem. I've built servers from this same
    ISO so I know it works without the issues you describe so I
    can only suggest you make a new CD and if that also fails
    download a new completely new copy of the ISO.

    --
    John Bean

  3. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    > I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso


    You can check the md5 and I think you can also check the CD media before
    you start the install.


    --
    Mike Easter


  4. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT
    Roy Strachan wrote:

    > I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >
    > During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    > requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >
    > Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >
    > Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    > dumb thing I am overlooking?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roy

    Just to make sure, you are not mixing 64 bit with 32 bit?
    Are you using the alternate CD? If not, download and install from it.

    --
    :-)


  5. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:34:38 -0800, "Mike Easter"
    wrote:

    >Roy Strachan wrote:
    >> I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso

    >
    >You can check the md5 and I think you can also check the CD media before
    >you start the install.


    Did both before starting install.


  6. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:39:30 -0800, Holz
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT
    >Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >>
    >> During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >> requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >>
    >> Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >>
    >> Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    >> dumb thing I am overlooking?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Roy

    >Just to make sure, you are not mixing 64 bit with 32 bit?

    Nope
    >Are you using the alternate CD? If not, download and install from it.

    Server CD.


  7. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >
    >During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >
    >Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >
    >Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >
    >Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    >dumb thing I am overlooking?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roy


    I think the incredibly dumb thing I did was to find a minor bug in the
    install program. When I was initially trying to install I mistakenly
    pressed instead of when selecting software to
    install, so I backed up to resellect and though I didn't reallize it
    at the time I was given more options to choose from (bug?) I may have
    made a conflicting choice or chose something that wasn't supposed to
    be available?? At any rate the reinstall worked as advertised. Now I
    can start to play. Thanks for trying to help.

    Roy


  8. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >
    >During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >
    >Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >
    >Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >
    >Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    >dumb thing I am overlooking?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roy


    Oops! I thought this problem was solved, however any time I try to
    install anything I get the same media change message :-( Any helpful
    ideas?


  9. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:49:48 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >>I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >>
    >>During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >>requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >>
    >>Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >>
    >>Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    >>dumb thing I am overlooking?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Roy

    >
    >Oops! I thought this problem was solved, however any time I try to
    >install anything I get the same media change message :-( Any helpful
    >ideas?


    OK got a little further. In sources.list is a line

    deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ -Release i386
    (20071016)/gutsy main restricted

    I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and a sudo
    apt-get dist_upgrade. I still get asked to insert the cd. Still
    looking for ideas.


  10. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    > OK got a little further. In sources.list is a line
    >
    > deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ -Release i386
    > (20071016)/gutsy main restricted
    >
    > I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and a sudo
    > apt-get dist_upgrade. I still get asked to insert the cd. Still
    > looking for ideas.
    >


    I know that. Just delete (or comment out) the line (and all other lines,
    that start with 'deb cdrom:'). That did it for me.
    But I don't remember the exact circumstances. I don't even know if it
    was Debian or Ubuntu... I just remember the error message, the line in
    /etc/apt/sources.list...

  11. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    Roy Strachan wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:49:48 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>
    >>>I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >>>
    >>>During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >>>requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >>>
    >>>Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >>>
    >>>Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly
    >>>dumb thing I am overlooking?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Roy

    >>
    >>Oops! I thought this problem was solved, however any time I try to
    >>install anything I get the same media change message :-( Any helpful
    >>ideas?

    >
    > OK got a little further. In sources.list is a line
    >
    > deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ -Release i386
    > (20071016)/gutsy main restricted
    >

    With this line in sources.list, apt-get will include the CDROM as one of its
    repositories. This is the way Gutsy installs by default. Best to just
    remove or comment out the line and do an update to rebuild your repo list
    that doesn't include the CDROM. Then all installs will come to you only
    online.

    Cheers.

    > I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and a sudo
    > apt-get dist_upgrade. I still get asked to insert the cd. Still
    > looking for ideas.


    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  12. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:08:41 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:49:48 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>
    >>>I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >>>
    >>>During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >>>requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >>>
    >>>Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >>>
    >>>Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly dumb
    >>>thing I am overlooking?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Roy

    >>
    >>Oops! I thought this problem was solved, however any time I try to
    >>install anything I get the same media change message :-( Any helpful
    >>ideas?

    >
    > OK got a little further. In sources.list is a line
    >
    > deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ -Release i386
    > (20071016)/gutsy main restricted
    >
    > I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and a sudo apt-get
    > dist_upgrade. I still get asked to insert the cd. Still looking for
    > ideas.


    As other people have mentioned, simply remove any deb cdrom: lines from
    your sources.list

    Basically what it's looking for is the CD you used to install as that is
    listed as one of the repository sources and it favors it over having to
    download the package.

    --
    Stephan

  13. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:14:34 -0600, Stephan Rose
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:08:41 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:49:48 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:05:04 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>I downloaded the ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso
    >>>>
    >>>>During the install everything was going well until a window popped up
    >>>>requesting a media change to the disk labelled -
    >>>>
    >>>>Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy_Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)
    >>>>
    >>>>Of course I don't have that disk and cannot find a download for it.
    >>>>
    >>>>Does anyone know where I can get this .iso or know what incredibly dumb
    >>>>thing I am overlooking?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks
    >>>> Roy
    >>>
    >>>Oops! I thought this problem was solved, however any time I try to
    >>>install anything I get the same media change message :-( Any helpful
    >>>ideas?

    >>
    >> OK got a little further. In sources.list is a line
    >>
    >> deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ -Release i386
    >> (20071016)/gutsy main restricted
    >>
    >> I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and a sudo apt-get
    >> dist_upgrade. I still get asked to insert the cd. Still looking for
    >> ideas.

    >
    >As other people have mentioned, simply remove any deb cdrom: lines from
    >your sources.list
    >
    >Basically what it's looking for is the CD you used to install as that is
    >listed as one of the repository sources and it favors it over having to
    >download the package.


    Thanks to all. It makes sense once someone points out the
    semi-obvious. I'll give it a try.

    Roy


  14. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:41:04 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:14:34 -0600, Stephan Rose
    > wrote:
    >


    >>>
    >>> deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ -Release i386
    >>> (20071016)/gutsy main restricted
    >>>
    >>> I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and a sudo apt-get
    >>> dist_upgrade. I still get asked to insert the cd. Still looking for
    >>> ideas.

    >>
    >>As other people have mentioned, simply remove any deb cdrom: lines from
    >>your sources.list
    >>
    >>Basically what it's looking for is the CD you used to install as that is
    >>listed as one of the repository sources and it favors it over having to
    >>download the package.

    >
    >Thanks to all. It makes sense once someone points out the
    >semi-obvious. I'll give it a try.
    >
    > Roy


    Thanks again. It worked for me too!!! :-)


  15. Re: Need help with Ubuntu Server Install

    On 2008-02-26, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    > OK got a little further. In sources.list is a line
    >
    > deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ -Release i386
    > (20071016)/gutsy main restricted
    >
    > I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and a sudo
    > apt-get dist_upgrade. I still get asked to insert the cd. Still
    > looking for ideas.
    >


    Comment out that line. You don't need the CD as a source. Once that
    is commented, the system will look to the Web for it's files...


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

+ Reply to Thread