Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4 - Ubuntu ; I have been playing with the latest interim release. On my Toshiba A70 laptop the Hardy Heron live version hangs. If I replace the flags "quiet" and "splash" with "debug console" (omit the quotes), you see it turn on Gnome ...

  1. Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4

    I have been playing with the latest interim release.
    On my Toshiba A70 laptop the Hardy Heron live version hangs. If I
    replace the flags "quiet" and "splash" with "debug console" (omit the
    quotes), you see it turn on Gnome Display Manager and 3 more lines. Then
    it paints a light blue without any details.

    On my wife's laptop, a Compaq "running" Vista, it seems to get further.

    I have the impression that there is an Xwindow configuration problem.
    Unfortunately the Live version does not write out any log files
    tonon-volatile media. When I press the reset button, there it is ... gone.

    The install (via Update Manager) writes a fair bit to log files (lots of
    different log files). I just havent figured out what it means - other
    than that right now I am "between versions".
    I notice that the ANSI escape sequences that Bash uses to colour stuff
    is not handled but rather displays as things like ESC[31m etc.

    The X configuration stuff is difficult to understand but the same
    sequence of messages and parameters appears 3 or 4 times.
    What do I have to do to get a working config?

    Thanks
    --
    360 Principles of Operations

  2. Re: Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4

    Duinen wrote:

    > I have been playing with the latest interim release.
    > On my Toshiba A70 laptop the Hardy Heron live version hangs. If I

    With "ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP", right?

    > replace the flags "quiet" and "splash" with "debug console" (omit the
    > quotes), you see it turn on Gnome Display Manager and 3 more lines. Then
    > it paints a light blue without any details.
    >
    > On my wife's laptop, a Compaq "running" Vista, it seems to get further.
    >
    > I have the impression that there is an Xwindow configuration problem.

    Can you boot in in "Safe Graphics Mode" (second option) and see what
    happens?

    de Kameel

  3. Re: Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4

    Duinen wrote:
    > I have been playing with the latest interim release.
    > On my Toshiba A70 laptop the Hardy Heron live version hangs. If I
    > replace the flags "quiet" and "splash" with "debug console" (omit the
    > quotes), you see it turn on Gnome Display Manager and 3 more lines.
    > Then it paints a light blue without any details.
    >
    > On my wife's laptop, a Compaq "running" Vista, it seems to get further.
    >
    > I have the impression that there is an Xwindow configuration problem.
    > Unfortunately the Live version does not write out any log files
    > tonon-volatile media. When I press the reset button, there it is ...
    > gone.

    Is there no /var/log directory written to RAM?

    Instead of rebooting, try switching to a TTY console with
    and look around.

    Some good places to check:

    sudo ddcprobe
    dmesg
    sudo dmidecode
    lspci
    less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    less /var/log/syslog

    --
    John

  4. Re: Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4

    de Kameel wrote:
    > Duinen wrote:
    >
    >> I have been playing with the latest interim release.
    >> On my Toshiba A70 laptop the Hardy Heron live version hangs. If I

    > With "ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP", right?

    Right!

    >> replace the flags "quiet" and "splash" with "debug console" (omit the
    >> quotes), you see it turn on Gnome Display Manager and 3 more lines. Then
    >> it paints a light blue without any details.
    >>
    >> On my wife's laptop, a Compaq "running" Vista, it seems to get further.
    >>
    >> I have the impression that there is an Xwindow configuration problem.

    > Can you boot in in "Safe Graphics Mode" (second option) and see what
    > happens?
    >
    > de Kameel

    That's what I have been using. Safe Mode gives me a Bash prompt as Root.
    So I've been browsing the various log files and some config files.
    When I enter ^D it continues the install and waits/stops at a light blue
    screen in graphics mode. No details on this screen. I can than do
    Alt/Ctr/F1-6 and successfully go to a console, including login. Then
    regardless of the login it goes to a wait.
    Standard run mode (#1 on GRUB screen) goes to the same blue GUI screen.
    I think that it is the same point and I'm reasonably sure
    Alt/Ctr/F1.. works.
    At some time in the last few days I had the system in this wait mode and
    it came up with message "Reloading ... SYSLOG" - twice, about 7 minutes
    apart - there is a small SYSLOG file in /var/log

    I think that we're in the spot of the program where we should be, but
    not properly setup for graphics mode.

    What should I check next?
    --
    360 Principles of Operations

  5. Re: Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Duinen wrote:
    >> I have been playing with the latest interim release.
    >> On my Toshiba A70 laptop the Hardy Heron live version hangs. If I
    >> replace the flags "quiet" and "splash" with "debug console" (omit the
    >> quotes), you see it turn on Gnome Display Manager and 3 more lines.
    >> Then it paints a light blue without any details.
    >>
    >> On my wife's laptop, a Compaq "running" Vista, it seems to get further.
    >>
    >> I have the impression that there is an Xwindow configuration problem.
    >> Unfortunately the Live version does not write out any log files
    >> tonon-volatile media. When I press the reset button, there it is ...
    >> gone.

    > Is there no /var/log directory written to RAM?

    When I came back the machine was shut down. Possibly overheating.
    That, I assumed, wiped out all the stuff written in Live mode. I used
    the upgrade option and there was a lot in the logs but there were only 2
    or 3 errors reported in the logs.

    > Instead of rebooting, try switching to a TTY console with
    > and look around.

    Switching to and between TTY consoles worked fine, except that they
    appeared in double-width character mode (40 char per line).

    I ran across what appears to be a log file for the installer program
    with a pkg by pkg details of records added/deleted from the installation
    database. It did not contain date/time stamps and the logfile name was
    not generational. The last message in the log was "rebuilding central
    database" or words to that effect.

    > Some good places to check:
    >
    > sudo ddcprobe
    > dmesg
    > sudo dmidecode
    > lspci

    Nice to have. They give a lot of information. I'll just have to figure
    out what to ignore.
    I looked at both listings but nothing lept up ...

    > less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    > less /var/log/syslog

    I'll do a whole lot of reading about X...

    Thanks

    --
    360 Principles of Operations

  6. Re: Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4

    Duinen wrote:
    > de Kameel wrote:
    >> Duinen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been playing with the latest interim release.
    >>> On my Toshiba A70 laptop the Hardy Heron live version hangs. If I

    It is definitely in the Xorg area, see the clip from Xorg.log

    \\\\\\\\\\extrract from /var/log/Xorg.log \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    (II) Module Intel Poulsbo: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.2
    (EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (2)
    (II) UnloadModule: "psb"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//psb_drv.so
    (EE) Failed to load module "psb" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"

    There are further error messages that are on the screen only (when I
    switch back to Alt/Ctrl/F1 that complain about definition data being in
    the wrong format. They seem to begenerated at the time the Xwindow is
    created. I haven't been able to find these in a log file.

    Any ideas where to capture those messages?
    Also, where to get a good tuturial for X org, like where do the drivers
    come from, who decides what goes into Xorg.conf - only for equipment
    existing on the PC laptop/desktop/server, when is Xorg.conf regenerated?

    Thanks
    --
    Duinen

  7. Re: Upgrade toUbuntu version 8.04 Alpha 4

    Duinen wrote:
    > Duinen wrote:
    >> de Kameel wrote:
    >>> Duinen wrote:
    >>>

    > Also, where to get a good tuturial for X org, like where do the drivers
    > come from, who decides what goes into Xorg.conf - only for equipment
    > existing on the PC laptop/desktop/server, when is Xorg.conf regenerated?

    I ran across a nice tutorial about Xwindow on You Tube (6 parts)
    Basic, but I did find it helpful.