Registry cleaer for Wine - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Registry cleaer for Wine - Ubuntu ; I use Wine a lot on Gutsy and often end up with aborted and/or unsuccessful attempts that leave a mess in the registry files. Most of the time it's trivial to clean the registry with a text editor but sometimes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Registry cleaer for Wine

  1. Registry cleaer for Wine

    I use Wine a lot on Gutsy and often end up with aborted
    and/or unsuccessful attempts that leave a mess in the
    registry files. Most of the time it's trivial to clean the
    registry with a text editor but sometimes the software has
    left so much crap in so many places it becomes a pain.

    Does anyone know a simple Windows registry cleaner that
    installs cleanly and works reliably in Wine? If not I'll go
    ahead and test some, but I'd rather someone else had already
    done the work :-)

    BTW I have Googled and looked in the obvious places but the
    only real lead was an old version of Regclean which I can no
    longer find. The current 2008 version installs but doesn't
    run :-(

    --
    John Bean

  2. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    John Bean illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I use Wine a lot on Gutsy and often end up with aborted
    > and/or unsuccessful attempts that leave a mess in the
    > registry files. Most of the time it's trivial to clean the
    > registry with a text editor but sometimes the software has
    > left so much crap in so many places it becomes a pain.
    >
    > Does anyone know a simple Windows registry cleaner that
    > installs cleanly and works reliably in Wine? If not I'll go
    > ahead and test some, but I'd rather someone else had already
    > done the work :-)
    >
    > BTW I have Googled and looked in the obvious places but the
    > only real lead was an old version of Regclean which I can no
    > longer find. The current 2008 version installs but doesn't
    > run :-(


    've never tried it, but if you haven't already done so, try ccleaner.

    It's my preferred windows registry cleaner. It is also pretty small
    footprint wise.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:56:32 +0000, John Bean wrote:

    > I use Wine a lot on Gutsy and often end up with aborted and/or
    > unsuccessful attempts that leave a mess in the registry files. Most of
    > the time it's trivial to clean the registry with a text editor but
    > sometimes the software has left so much crap in so many places it
    > becomes a pain.
    >
    > Does anyone know a simple Windows registry cleaner that installs cleanly
    > and works reliably in Wine? If not I'll go ahead and test some, but I'd
    > rather someone else had already done the work :-)


    Soemthing like (when the setup is as you like):

    tar -czvf ~/wine_baseline.tar.gz ~/.wine

    Then, when a problem occurs, do:

    cd ; tar -xzvf ~/wine_baseline.tar.gz

    TA-DA! It's back just like it was. Feel free to improvise on this theme.



  4. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    On 24 Feb 2008 21:01:19 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    >'ve never tried it, but if you haven't already done so, try ccleaner.
    >
    >It's my preferred windows registry cleaner. It is also pretty small
    >footprint wise.


    I tried Easyclean - a similar program - before I read your
    suggestion and that worked perfectly.

    No more searching for *hundreds* of leftover
    Apple/Quicktime/QT* entries...

    NB: I didn't want to install Quicktime at all but it's a
    prerequisite for iView MediaPro which I've been trying - and
    failing - to make work in Wine. I've giveup for now, I'll
    try again when the Wine is a little more mature ;-)

    --
    John Bean

  5. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:06:27 -0600, Joe User
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:56:32 +0000, John Bean wrote:
    >
    >> I use Wine a lot on Gutsy and often end up with aborted and/or
    >> unsuccessful attempts that leave a mess in the registry files. Most of
    >> the time it's trivial to clean the registry with a text editor but
    >> sometimes the software has left so much crap in so many places it
    >> becomes a pain.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know a simple Windows registry cleaner that installs cleanly
    >> and works reliably in Wine? If not I'll go ahead and test some, but I'd
    >> rather someone else had already done the work :-)

    >
    >Soemthing like (when the setup is as you like):
    >
    > tar -czvf ~/wine_baseline.tar.gz ~/.wine
    >
    >Then, when a problem occurs, do:
    >
    > cd ; tar -xzvf ~/wine_baseline.tar.gz
    >
    >TA-DA! It's back just like it was. Feel free to improvise on this theme.


    Sure, but that's for more organised people than me ;-)

    The down side to that method is that it loses any changes
    made by "good" installed programs, not usually what I want
    to do. I often run untested Wine stuff for a while before
    abandoning for whatever reason, and that's when I want to
    clean up the mess they leave behind without losing all other
    everyday registry changes.

    I've just installed EasyClean which seems to work perfectly
    and without fuss, plus it can get rid of all the leftover
    "start menu" (Wine menu) shortcuts and orphaned uninstallers
    from stuff no longer there. Handy :-)

    Thanks for the input though, it should be useful to others
    doing similar things.

    --
    John Bean

  6. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    John Bean wrote:

    > On 24 Feb 2008 21:01:19 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >>'ve never tried it, but if you haven't already done so, try ccleaner.
    >>
    >>It's my preferred windows registry cleaner. It is also pretty small
    >>footprint wise.

    >
    > I tried Easyclean - a similar program - before I read your
    > suggestion and that worked perfectly.
    >
    > No more searching for *hundreds* of leftover
    > Apple/Quicktime/QT* entries...
    >
    > NB: I didn't want to install Quicktime at all but it's a
    > prerequisite for iView MediaPro which I've been trying - and
    > failing - to make work in Wine. I've giveup for now, I'll
    > try again when the Wine is a little more mature ;-)
    >

    Just curious. What does iView MediaPro offer that you can't get with some
    native Linux app?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  7. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:12:22 -0800, NoStop
    wrote:

    >Just curious. What does iView MediaPro offer that you can't get with some
    >native Linux app?


    I don't know where to start. There is no native Linux app
    that even comes close if you need (and are used to using) a
    proper DAM program like MediaPro.

    I ran the full gamut of Linux apps like F-Spot or Digikam
    (amongst numerous others) but they have little or no ability
    to properly handle standard IPTC and XMP metadata in the way
    the DAM programs do. At best they're competitors for simple
    "image organiser" programs for Windows like Picasa or Adobe
    Album, and that's not at all what I need.

    I keep an XP dual-boot purely for my photography using
    mainly a combination of MediaPro and Photoshop CS2 along
    with my raw converter of choice, Silkypix. Everything else I
    do with Ubuntu and I'm looking forward to the day I can use
    it for everything - but in the meanwhile I have no intention
    of lowering my standards or expectations of the software
    I've used successfully for many years.

    It's just a matter of time though, either MediaPro will work
    in some future version of Wine or maybe someone will
    eventually produce a native Linux DAM app that meets my
    needs. I'm not holding my breath on that one though ;-)

    --
    John Bean

  8. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    John Bean wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:12:22 -0800, NoStop
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just curious. What does iView MediaPro offer that you can't get with some
    >>native Linux app?

    >
    > I don't know where to start. There is no native Linux app
    > that even comes close if you need (and are used to using) a
    > proper DAM program like MediaPro.
    >
    > I ran the full gamut of Linux apps like F-Spot or Digikam
    > (amongst numerous others) but they have little or no ability
    > to properly handle standard IPTC and XMP metadata in the way
    > the DAM programs do. At best they're competitors for simple
    > "image organiser" programs for Windows like Picasa or Adobe
    > Album, and that's not at all what I need.
    >
    > I keep an XP dual-boot purely for my photography using
    > mainly a combination of MediaPro and Photoshop CS2 along
    > with my raw converter of choice, Silkypix. Everything else I
    > do with Ubuntu and I'm looking forward to the day I can use
    > it for everything - but in the meanwhile I have no intention
    > of lowering my standards or expectations of the software
    > I've used successfully for many years.
    >
    > It's just a matter of time though, either MediaPro will work
    > in some future version of Wine or maybe someone will
    > eventually produce a native Linux DAM app that meets my
    > needs. I'm not holding my breath on that one though ;-)
    >

    Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of DAM before and your answer
    caused me to search out info on it.

    Have you considered running VMWare? Should be able to run that Windows
    sofware on your desktop using something like VMPlayer. Makes it far more
    convenient than having to dual-boot.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  9. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:49:49 -0800, NoStop
    wrote:
    >Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of DAM before and your answer
    >caused me to search out info on it.


    It a "serious" photographer's thing ;-)
    >
    >Have you considered running VMWare? Should be able to run that Windows
    >sofware on your desktop using something like VMPlayer. Makes it far more
    >convenient than having to dual-boot.


    First thing I tried, but it's a bit short of resources on my
    old-ish PC and performance is not so hot. Maybe a new PC is
    the answer...

    --
    John Bean

  10. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    John Bean wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:49:49 -0800, NoStop
    > wrote:
    >>Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of DAM before and your answer
    >>caused me to search out info on it.

    >
    > It a "serious" photographer's thing ;-)
    >>
    >>Have you considered running VMWare? Should be able to run that Windows
    >>sofware on your desktop using something like VMPlayer. Makes it far more
    >>convenient than having to dual-boot.

    >
    > First thing I tried, but it's a bit short of resources on my
    > old-ish PC and performance is not so hot. Maybe a new PC is
    > the answer...
    >

    I'm always looking for an excuse to warrant purchasing a new PC. :-) This
    one is old, running an Athlon 2500+. Damn thing just keeps working and even
    with dual monitors and compiz, is fast enough for me. Damn.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  11. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:51:01 -0800, NoStop
    wrote:

    >John Bean wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:49:49 -0800, NoStop
    >> wrote:
    >>>Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of DAM before and your answer
    >>>caused me to search out info on it.

    >>
    >> It a "serious" photographer's thing ;-)
    >>>
    >>>Have you considered running VMWare? Should be able to run that Windows
    >>>sofware on your desktop using something like VMPlayer. Makes it far more
    >>>convenient than having to dual-boot.

    >>
    >> First thing I tried, but it's a bit short of resources on my
    >> old-ish PC and performance is not so hot. Maybe a new PC is
    >> the answer...
    >>

    >I'm always looking for an excuse to warrant purchasing a new PC. :-) This
    >one is old, running an Athlon 2500+. Damn thing just keeps working and even
    >with dual monitors and compiz, is fast enough for me. Damn.


    Heh. I know the feeling - my Sempron 2600+ also works well
    except for a few photographic apps that demand the
    availability of SSE2 instructions that are sadly lacking.

    I might have to bit the bullet :-(

    --
    John Bean

  12. Re: Registry cleaer for Wine

    John Bean illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 24 Feb 2008 21:01:19 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >>'ve never tried it, but if you haven't already done so, try ccleaner.
    >>
    >>It's my preferred windows registry cleaner. It is also pretty small
    >>footprint wise.

    >
    > I tried Easyclean - a similar program - before I read your
    > suggestion and that worked perfectly.


    I'm glad you got your solution John.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

+ Reply to Thread