Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I recently used my computer bios setup to disable one of two on-board Marvell network devices (on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium board). This resulted in Ubuntu hanging during boot-up. Re-enabling the network device corrected the problem. I will probably replace ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

  1. Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

    I recently used my computer bios setup to disable one of two on-board
    Marvell network devices (on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium board). This
    resulted in Ubuntu hanging during boot-up. Re-enabling the network
    device corrected the problem.

    I will probably replace the board in the near future, unless I can
    find a common denominator for the apparent hardware problem.

    With a new motherboard, would a full re-install of Ubuntu be required,
    or is it possible to perform some kind of low level re-start that will
    force it to update the appropriate hardware drivers? (The slated
    replacement board is an Asus P5E3 Premium board).

    Possibly related background: The P5WD2-E board appears to have a
    hardware problem, as both (of two) instances of WinXP and the single
    installation of Ubuntu 7.10 report the network (device) is not found.
    This only happens when the board is at ambient room temperature, after
    having been turn-off for several hours. On reboot, in any one of the
    three operating systems, the network is fully enabled.


  2. Re: Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:13:32 +0000, longgone wrote:

    > I recently used my computer bios setup to disable one of two on-board
    > Marvell network devices (on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium board). This
    > resulted in Ubuntu hanging during boot-up. Re-enabling the network
    > device corrected the problem.
    >

    Remove the network adapter in Ubuntu and then disable in BIOS which will
    save it waiting for a time out trying to use a non-existent eth
    connection to get an address via DHCP.
    --
    Conor

    I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't
    looking good either. - Scott Adams

  3. Re: Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

    > I recently used my computer bios setup to disable one of two on-board
    > Marvell network devices (on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium board). This
    > resulted in Ubuntu hanging during boot-up. Re-enabling the network
    > device corrected the problem.


    On a vaguely related subject, I had a similar problem with gOS running
    under VirtualBox - it'd boot up and work perfectly when in range of my
    wireless connection, but refused to boot when out of range (I took it
    to work to show how nicely set up it was).

    Very strange...

  4. Re: Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

    Conor illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:13:32 +0000, longgone wrote:
    >
    >> I recently used my computer bios setup to disable one of two on-board
    >> Marvell network devices (on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium board). This
    >> resulted in Ubuntu hanging during boot-up. Re-enabling the network
    >> device corrected the problem.
    >>

    > Remove the network adapter in Ubuntu and then disable in BIOS which will
    > save it waiting for a time out trying to use a non-existent eth
    > connection to get an address via DHCP.


    This can be easily achieved by editing the interfaces file
    $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

    Completely remove the entry for eth0/eth1, or whatever the adaptor is
    configured to use, and you should be able to boot into Ubuntu.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

    On 2008-02-24, longgone@faraway.com hit the keyboard and wrote:



    > With a new motherboard, would a full re-install of Ubuntu be required,
    > or is it possible to perform some kind of low level re-start that will
    > force it to update the appropriate hardware drivers? (The slated
    > replacement board is an Asus P5E3 Premium board).


    I did replace a motherboard AMD-K6 with a AMD Athlon dual-core CPU
    and I did not need to reinstall. The only problem I had was that on
    my old motherboard I was able to boot from a RAID-Card, the new BIOS
    didn't give me this choice, so I had to swap some HDD's around, and
    use some Live-CD to get everything right.But the OS was intact.
    I still would advise to back-up "valuable" Data, especially you
    /home directory, because if you do install again, then you still can
    salvage your settings.

    Also you might have to change the kernel (since I will use 4 GB of
    RAM with the box) if the need arises. If the Hardware on the
    motherboard is 100% compatible with Gnu/Linux Ubuntu will have all
    the modules for it.

    So if you just a normal setup with one/two HDD's you should be fine
    and mot likely no reinstall will be needed.

    Good luck and please report back when you do replace the
    motherboard.

    >



    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    This signature is licensed under the GPL and may be
    freely distributed as long as a copy of the GPL is included... :-)


  6. Re: Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-02-24, longgone@faraway.com hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >> With a new motherboard, would a full re-install of Ubuntu be required,
    >> or is it possible to perform some kind of low level re-start that will
    >> force it to update the appropriate hardware drivers? (The slated
    >> replacement board is an Asus P5E3 Premium board).

    >
    > I did replace a motherboard AMD-K6 with a AMD Athlon dual-core CPU
    > and I did not need to reinstall. The only problem I had was that on
    > my old motherboard I was able to boot from a RAID-Card, the new BIOS
    > didn't give me this choice, so I had to swap some HDD's around, and
    > use some Live-CD to get everything right.But the OS was intact.
    > I still would advise to back-up "valuable" Data, especially you
    > /home directory, because if you do install again, then you still can
    > salvage your settings.
    >
    > Also you might have to change the kernel (since I will use 4 GB of
    > RAM with the box) if the need arises. If the Hardware on the
    > motherboard is 100% compatible with Gnu/Linux Ubuntu will have all
    > the modules for it.
    >
    > So if you just a normal setup with one/two HDD's you should be fine
    > and mot likely no reinstall will be needed.
    >
    > Good luck and please report back when you do replace the
    > motherboard.
    >
    >
    >
    > Dragomir Kollaric



    I just did the same thing and upped to an AMD64 dual core.
    Started out with the same 32 bit os (Gutsy) that I had on the K6. Had
    trouble with the Nvidia graphics drivers. Finally got them to work. Also
    couldn't get all the features on the motherboard to work. Would only see
    3.5 gigs of the 4 of memory. First day saw both cores. After that would
    only see one.Wouldn't load all co copiz.
    So I finally bit the bullet and loaded 64bit Gutsy and everything just
    worked. Should have done that in the first place. See's all 4 Gigs of
    memory. Graphics are much better.
    My suggestion is if you have 64 bit hardware install 64bit Gutsy.
    caver1

  7. Re: Disabled One Network Device ==> Disabled Ubuntu

    On 2008-02-27, caver1 hit the keyboard and wrote:




    > I just did the same thing and upped to an AMD64 dual core.
    > Started out with the same 32 bit os (Gutsy) that I had on
    > the K6. Had trouble with the Nvidia graphics drivers.
    > Finally got them to work. Also couldn't get all the
    > features on the motherboard to work. Would only see 3.5
    > gigs of the 4 of memory. First day saw both cores. After
    > that would only see one.Wouldn't load all co copiz. So
    > I finally bit the bullet and loaded 64bit Gutsy and
    > everything just worked. Should have done that in the first
    > place. See's all 4 Gigs of memory. Graphics are much
    > better. My suggestion is if you have 64 bit hardware
    > install 64bit Gutsy.


    Actually I tried it too, but I got some problem with my NIC,
    and as I don't use the 64bit machine (got some serious
    hardware problem, Graphic-card/Monitor graphic-card was sent
    to the manufacturer) at this moment.

    I am still planing to use the 64bit OS in the future, when I
    have sorted out the "issue" with the NIC, other then that I
    liked it. I installed the "Studio" variant of it with Gnome
    but I'll continue to use XFCE.




    > caver1




    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    This signature is licensed under the GPL and may be
    freely distributed as long as a copy of the GPL is included... :-)


+ Reply to Thread