Seagate Sudoku Synopsis - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Seagate Sudoku Synopsis - Ubuntu ; Seagate Sudoku Synopsis Having spent several days doing a Seagate Sudoku puzzle of figuring out how to get their Free Agent Go external hard drive to function on a Linux machine, at last success was achieved. The following is a ...

  1. Seagate Sudoku Synopsis

    Seagate Sudoku Synopsis

    Having spent several days doing a Seagate Sudoku puzzle of figuring
    out how to get their Free Agent Go external hard drive to function
    on a Linux machine, at last success was achieved. The following is
    a synopsis, which will possibly be updated.

    The first problem is the Free Agent Go external hard drive "spins
    down" after about 15 minutes. This is apparently some sort of energy
    saving feature. When the drive "spins down", thereafter Linux has trouble
    finding the drive. So the first quest is to keep the drive from spinning
    down.

    Based on various Google searches on "Seagate Free Agent Linux" it was
    learned a "sdparm" utility was needed. sdparm is listed as being included
    in my Ubuntu 7.10 distribution of Linux. Somehow, though, I didn't find
    it. So I wound up downloading the source
    code from (I think it was) Sourceforge.net

    The file was in a "tar.gz" format. There is some neat way to decompress
    and un-tar such files in a single command. But instead
    of spending time figuring it out, I just did a "gunzip" and then a "tar -
    xvf". Then I did a "./configure", a "make", and a "make install." The
    file got installed in /usr/local/bin

    Based on my notes, if the drive has spun down or gone to sleep,
    this sdparm command wakes it up:
    sdparm --command=start /dev/sdb
    (Replace the "sdb" with whatever device assignment you have.)

    Based on my notes, after you wake up the drive, this sdparm
    command keeps it from going back to sleep:
    sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 /dev/sdb
    (Again, replace the "sdb" with whatever device assignment you have.)

    But I was not out of the woods just yet. The external hard drive I
    was working with is not huge, just 120 Gigabytes. Nonetheless, it seems
    to be set up for "the GPT, or GUID Partition Table." Based on
    my notes, the former "MBR" method cannot address beyond two terabytes. So
    GPT/GUID will be "the next big thing." Linux tends to catch up with
    developments, but for now the question was: Does my kernel support GPT/
    GUID? Again, Google searches on the subject provided answers/clues. The
    Kernel needs to support "File Systems/Partition Types/[*] Advanced
    partition selection" and maybe also "[*] EFI GUID Partition support
    (NEW)".

    For the layman, a good basic book on such Kernel subjects is, "Linux
    Kernel In A Nutshell" by Greg Kroah-Hartman. I did not need to enable
    "advanced partition selection" but others might need to do so.

    The next step involved "gparted", the GNU Partition Editor. I did not
    need to compile and install gparted because it is included in my
    distribution (as was "sdparm" but I somehow missed seeing it.) A label
    needs to be created. I at first skimped on this, thinking, "I don't care
    about a label or not." But it turns out you apparently need the label,
    and also within the label process you need to set it to "GPT". For "new
    label type" I had to go back and set it to "GPT."

    Finally, in gparted, a partition had to be created. I only needed one. I
    set it to "ext3" for the type.

    At last, the moment of truth. After days of puzzling, will I be able to
    write to the Free Agent Go external hard drive? I went to /dev/sdb
    (mounted at /media/disk) and did "touch testfile." The system came back
    with something like, "Can't do that." So next, I upped my permissions
    with "sudo touch testfile". (On distributions other than Ubuntu, you may
    need to "su" into super-user status.) It worked! A "testfile" appeared!

    I still haven't figured out how to get the external drive to allow me as
    an ordinary user to write files. I have tried "chgrp" and "chmod" to the
    "/" mount point directory, but no luck for ordinary user writes so far.
    Still, at least now I have been able to back-up files and directories by
    means of a "sudo" prefix.

    Any feedback on this post is welcomed. Please post to this newsgroup and
    do not e-mail me. As already noted, this post may be updated, refined,
    and amplified by me in the future (or it may not.) I just wanted to post
    some basic notes on the subject of getting the Seagate Free Agent Go
    external hard drive to work with Linux. This may save other people days
    of doing a "Sudoku puzzle" on the subject.

  2. Re: Seagate Sudoku Synopsis

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:18:19 GMT, Brian Redman
    wrote:
    >I still haven't figured out how to get the external drive to allow me as
    >an ordinary user to write files. I have tried "chgrp" and "chmod" to the
    >"/" mount point directory, but no luck for ordinary user writes so far.

    That's because root owns it (you were sudo'd as root when
    you created it).

    You need to change ownership to the real user, namely you.

    See "chown" for how to do it ;-)

    --
    John Bean

  3. Re: Seagate Sudoku Synopsis

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:26:35 +0000, John Bean
    wrote:
    >You need to change ownership to the real user, namely you.

    Or perhaps (as root) just give your real self proper access
    permissions.

    Sorry about answering my own post, I meant to add this
    alternative in the first message.

    --
    John Bean

  4. Re: Seagate Sudoku Synopsis

    Brian Redman schreef:
    > Seagate Sudoku Synopsis
    >
    > Having spent several days doing a Seagate Sudoku puzzle of figuring
    > out how to get their Free Agent Go external hard drive to function
    > on a Linux machine, at last success was achieved. The following is
    > a synopsis, which will possibly be updated.
    >
    > The first problem is the Free Agent Go external hard drive "spins
    > down" after about 15 minutes. This is apparently some sort of energy
    > saving feature. When the drive "spins down", thereafter Linux has trouble
    > finding the drive. So the first quest is to keep the drive from spinning
    > down.
    >

    > Based on my notes, if the drive has spun down or gone to sleep,
    > this sdparm command wakes it up:
    > sdparm --command=start /dev/sdb
    > (Replace the "sdb" with whatever device assignment you have.)

    I get the reply:
    dirk@Tosh2:~$ sdparm -a /dev/sdd1
    unable to access /dev/sdd1, ATA disk?
    dirk@Tosh2:~$ hdparm -I /dev/sdd1

    So instead I invoked hdparm:
    dirk@Tosh2:~$ hdparm -I /dev/sdd1

    /dev/sdd1:
    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument
    dirk@Tosh2:~$ hdparm -i /dev/sdd1

    /dev/sdd1:
    HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument
    dirk@Tosh2:~$

    > Based on my notes, after you wake up the drive, this sdparm
    > command keeps it from going back to sleep:
    > sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 /dev/sdb
    > (Again, replace the "sdb" with whatever device assignment you have.)

    Same results when I try to invoke the power save:
    dirk@Tosh2:~$ hdparm -Z /dev/sdd1

    /dev/sdd1:
    disabling Seagate auto powersaving mode
    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(seagatepwrsave) failed: Invalid argument
    dirk@Tosh2:~$

    Does anyone have a working trick?

  5. Re: Seagate Sudoku Synopsis

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:22:19 +0100, "Dirk T. Verbeek"
    wrote:

    >I get the reply:
    >dirk@Tosh2:~$ sdparm -a /dev/sdd1
    >unable to access /dev/sdd1, ATA disk?
    >dirk@Tosh2:~$ hdparm -I /dev/sdd1

    [snip]

    >Does anyone have a working trick?

    The disk name is "sdd", not "sdd1".

    --
    John Bean

  6. Re: Seagate Sudoku Synopsis

    John Bean schreef:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:22:19 +0100, "Dirk T. Verbeek"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I get the reply:
    >> dirk@Tosh2:~$ sdparm -a /dev/sdd1
    >> unable to access /dev/sdd1, ATA disk?
    >> dirk@Tosh2:~$ hdparm -I /dev/sdd1

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Does anyone have a working trick?

    > The disk name is "sdd", not "sdd1".

    Aaiiiii!!

    I get a bit further now
    But not far enough.

    Btw, this is 'just' a 250GB Seagate Barracuda in a Trekstor/ Cypress
    Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter, not a Seagate
    But it shows the same nasty behaviour to shut down after some minutes of
    no use.

    At least one sdparm switch works:
    dirk@Tosh2:~$ sdparm -a -v /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb: ST332062 0A 0000
    Read write error recovery [0x1] mode page [PS=0]:
    AWRE 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    ARRE 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    TB 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    RC 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    EER 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    PER 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    DTE 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    DCR 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    RRC 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    COR_S 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    HOC 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    DSOC 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    WRC 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    RTL 0 [cha: n, def: 0, sav: 0]
    >> Disconnect-reconnect (SPC + transports) mode page [0x2] not supported
    >> Format (SBC) mode page [0x3] not supported
    >> Rigid disk (SBC) mode page [0x4] not supported
    >> Verify error recovery (SBC) mode page [0x7] not supported
    >> Caching (SBC) mode page [0x8] failed
    >> Control mode page [0xa] not supported
    >> Control extension mode subpage [0xa,0x1] not supported
    >> SAT pATA control mode subpage [0xa,0xf1] not supported
    >> Power condition - old version mode page [0xd] not supported
    >> XOR control (SBC) mode page [0x10] not supported
    >> Protocol specific logical unit mode page [0x18] not supported
    >> Protocol specific port mode page [0x19] not supported
    >> Power condition mode page [0x1a] not supported
    >> Informational exceptions control mode page [0x1c] not supported
    >> Background control (SBC) mode subpage [0x1c,0x1] not supported

    I assume this is what I really wanted to use:
    >> Power condition - old version mode page [0xd] not supported

    I'm going to give it a try to download and install this Seagate Windows
    software.

+ Reply to Thread