Mplayer will not load - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mplayer will not load - Ubuntu ; Mplayer will not load. The only clue I have is that when I enter in the terminal the command "mplayer", I get: mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libglide3.so.3: undefined symbol: __LINE__ AS this is apparently a binary file, I am stumped. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Mplayer will not load

    Mplayer will not load.

    The only clue I have is that when I enter in the terminal the command
    "mplayer", I get:

    mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libglide3.so.3:
    undefined symbol: __LINE__

    AS this is apparently a binary file, I am stumped. I tried reinstalling
    mplayer, but it made no difference.

    I am running Ubuntu 6.10

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    CSSJR

    --
    If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom

  2. Re: Mplayer will not load

    Claude S. Sutton, Jr wrote:
    > Mplayer will not load.
    >
    > The only clue I have is that when I enter in the terminal the command
    > "mplayer", I get:
    >
    > mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libglide3.so.3:
    > undefined symbol: __LINE__
    >
    > AS this is apparently a binary file, I am stumped. I tried
    > reinstalling mplayer, but it made no difference.
    >
    > I am running Ubuntu 6.10

    I don't know exactly what you mean when you say 'tried reinstalling',
    but I would remove mplayer, log out, login, and reinstall.

    Your error googles, but there isn't any fruitful information I could
    see.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Mplayer will not load

    On 2008-02-23, Claude S. Sutton, Jr wrote:
    > Mplayer will not load.
    >
    > The only clue I have is that when I enter in the terminal the command
    > "mplayer", I get:
    >
    > mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libglide3.so.3:
    > undefined symbol: __LINE__

    ARe you installing from the repository or compiling? You error must
    relate to this package:

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/libglide3

    which I guess you should reinstall, and its dev file if you are
    compiling.

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  4. Re: Mplayer will not load

    Claude S. Sutton, Jr wrote:

    > Mplayer will not load.
    >
    > The only clue I have is that when I enter in the terminal the command
    > "mplayer", I get:
    >
    > mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libglide3.so.3:
    > undefined symbol: __LINE__
    >
    > AS this is apparently a binary file, I am stumped. I tried reinstalling
    > mplayer, but it made no difference.
    >
    > I am running Ubuntu 6.10
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > CSSJR

    Did you have Beryl installed and then removed it?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  5. Re: Mplayer will not load

    Claude S. Sutton, Jr wrote:

    > Mplayer will not load.
    >
    > The only clue I have is that when I enter in the terminal the command
    > "mplayer", I get:
    >
    > mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libglide3.so.3:
    > undefined symbol: __LINE__
    >
    > AS this is apparently a binary file, I am stumped. I tried reinstalling
    > mplayer, but it made no difference.
    >
    > I am running Ubuntu 6.10
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > CSSJR

    Further if you have a Voodoo graphics card, take a look at whether this
    package is installed: libglide3

    graphics library for 3Dfx Voodoo based cards - shared libraries
    This package allows you to use the 3D functions of cards based on
    3dfx Interactive, Inc's Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo 3, Voodoo 4, and
    Voodoo 5, chipsets.
    You should install it if you have such a card.

    An uninstall of Beryl can remove these library files.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  6. Re: Mplayer will not load

    I am reinstalling from the repository.

    I removed, shut down completely, restarted, reinstalled and have the
    same problem.

    CSSJR

    --
    If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

  7. Re: Mplayer will not load

    "Claude S. Sutton, Jr" wrote:

    > I am reinstalling from the repository. I removed, shut down
    > completely, restarted, reinstalled and have the same problem.

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: Mplayer will not load

    On 2008-02-24, CBFalconer wrote:
    > "Claude S. Sutton, Jr" wrote:
    >>
    >> I am reinstalling from the repository. I removed, shut down
    >> completely, restarted, reinstalled and have the same problem.

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links:

    I know all of that.

    A short lapse of memory in that I rarely post on newsgroups.

    By the way, I would be much more impressed with your vast knowledge if
    you knew something about how to solve the problem.

    Apparently the extent of your knowlege is where to insert your opinion
    in the page.

    Thank you so much for your help.

    CSSJR

  9. Re: Mplayer will not load

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:15:34 +0100 (CET), "Claude S. Sutton,
    Jr" wrote:

    >By the way, I would be much more impressed with your vast knowledge if
    >you knew something about how to solve the problem.

    Heh :-)

    Yep. there's a lot of that sort of thing in this place but
    thanks for the chuckle. Your barbed response is so much more
    effective than the usual juvenile flaming I'm used to seeing
    in these cases.

    --
    John Bean

  10. Re: Mplayer will not load

    On 2008-02-24, John Bean wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:15:34 +0100 (CET), "Claude S. Sutton,
    > Jr" wrote:
    >
    >>By the way, I would be much more impressed with your vast knowledge if
    >>you knew something about how to solve the problem.

    > Heh :-)
    >
    > Yep. there's a lot of that sort of thing in this place but
    > thanks for the chuckle. Your barbed response is so much more
    > effective than the usual juvenile flaming I'm used to seeing
    > in these cases.

    Thanks.

    At the time I committed that mortal sin, I not only was trying to figure
    out what was the matter with my Mplayer, which by the way I still have
    not fixed, but my Alltel wireless broadband was dropping me so often
    that I could not compose a message and send it before it would drop.

    I would guess that I was getting dropped about every 120 seconds, with
    reconnects taking many minutes, usually requiring that I wait for
    several minutes to see what my router would do, then disconnecting it
    from power so as to get a restart. So each reconnect could take up to
    10 minutes or more.

    This was not a short term thing, it went on from late afternoon until
    midnight.

    And in the middle of all of that, frustrated beyond description, I am
    supposed to remember where to insert my next line?

    The service seems to be OK now, but I had a bad night with it Friday
    night.

    Thanks for the comment. I know others will flame me, but my hide is
    thick.

    CSSJR
    --
    If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

  11. Re: Mplayer will not load

    Claude S. Sutton, Jr illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-02-24, CBFalconer wrote:
    >> "Claude S. Sutton, Jr" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am reinstalling from the repository. I removed, shut down
    >>> completely, restarted, reinstalled and have the same problem.

    >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    >> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    >> irrelevant material. See the following links:
    >>

    > I know all of that.
    >
    > A short lapse of memory in that I rarely post on newsgroups.
    >
    > By the way, I would be much more impressed with your vast knowledge if
    > you knew something about how to solve the problem.
    >
    > Apparently the extent of your knowlege is where to insert your opinion
    > in the page.
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help.
    >
    > CSSJR

    Heh. Great response Claude.

    Ignore Falconer. He's just an old fool who likes to preach
    "netiquette" while falling foul of it himself.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Mplayer will not load

    Claude S. Sutton, Jr illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Mplayer will not load.
    >
    > The only clue I have is that when I enter in the terminal the command
    > "mplayer", I get:
    >
    > mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libglide3.so.3:
    > undefined symbol: __LINE__
    >
    > AS this is apparently a binary file, I am stumped. I tried reinstalling
    > mplayer, but it made no difference.
    >
    > I am running Ubuntu 6.10
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Yes.

    After q quick Goodle it would seem that people who have had this error
    installed the kubuntu desktop to cure it. I believe it relates to
    Amarok although I cannot find any specific reason as to why.

    Here goes. Open a terminal and type
    $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    The download is around 30 minutes (broadband) and should take up about
    800meg after installation.

    If either is a problem, then another fix could be
    $ sudo apt-get install amarok
    This will install amarok and all it's dependencies. I don't know
    whether that will fixi it or not though.

    Good luck.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: Mplayer will not load

    > After q quick Goodle it would seem that people who have had this error
    > installed the kubuntu desktop to cure it. I believe it relates to
    > Amarok although I cannot find any specific reason as to why.
    >
    > Here goes. Open a terminal and type
    > $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    >
    > The download is around 30 minutes (broadband) and should take up about

    I really appreciate that.

    I googled it also, but I missed that solution.

    I will try immediately and let you know what happens.

    However, my connection has gone to crap again and this may take all
    night or I might even have to wait until in the morning.

    When I have connection problems, it is from this time until midnight, I
    think because all of the kids are on their machines and overloading the
    system.

    Anyhow, thank you.

    CSSJR

    --
    If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

  14. Re: Mplayer will not load

    Claude S. Sutton, Jr illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> After q quick Goodle it would seem that people who have had this error
    >> installed the kubuntu desktop to cure it. I believe it relates to
    >> Amarok although I cannot find any specific reason as to why.
    >>
    >> Here goes. Open a terminal and type
    >> $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    >>
    >> The download is around 30 minutes (broadband) and should take up about

    > I really appreciate that.
    >
    > I googled it also, but I missed that solution.
    >
    > I will try immediately and let you know what happens.
    >
    > However, my connection has gone to crap again and this may take all
    > night or I might even have to wait until in the morning.
    >
    > When I have connection problems, it is from this time until midnight, I
    > think because all of the kids are on their machines and overloading the
    > system.
    >
    > Anyhow, thank you.
    >
    > CSSJR

    No problem Claude.

    Why not try the
    $ sudo apt-get install amarok
    first?

    It's a far smaller download and may just do the trick

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: Mplayer will not load

    Claude S. Sutton, Jr wrote:

    >> After q quick Goodle it would seem that people who have had this error
    >> installed the kubuntu desktop to cure it. I believe it relates to
    >> Amarok although I cannot find any specific reason as to why.
    >>
    >> Here goes. Open a terminal and type
    >> $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    >>
    >> The download is around 30 minutes (broadband) and should take up about

    > I really appreciate that.
    >
    > I googled it also, but I missed that solution.
    >
    > I will try immediately and let you know what happens.
    >
    > However, my connection has gone to crap again and this may take all
    > night or I might even have to wait until in the morning.
    >
    > When I have connection problems, it is from this time until midnight, I
    > think because all of the kids are on their machines and overloading the
    > system.
    >
    > Anyhow, thank you.
    >
    > CSSJR

    Did you even try the simple suggestion that I left you? I don't see why the
    whole Kubuntu desktop needs to be loaded to just get a missing lib?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  16. Re: Mplayer will not load

    > Did you even try the simple suggestion that I left you? I don't see why the
    > whole Kubuntu desktop needs to be loaded to just get a missing lib?
    >
    > Cheers.

    I thought I replied to yours. I have had connection problems that are
    about to drive me nuts.

    I have the lib file. I never had Beryl.

    It is not that I don't have the lib file, it is that it has a flaw. I
    have tried reinstall and get the same error message.

    CSSJR

    --
    If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

  17. Re: Mplayer will not load

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:11:15 +0100 (CET),
    Claude S. Sutton, Jr wrote:

    > At the time I committed that mortal sin, I not only was trying to
    > figure out what was the matter with my Mplayer, which by the way I
    > still have not fixed, but my Alltel wireless broadband was dropping
    > me so often that I could not compose a message and send it before
    > it would drop.
    >
    > I would guess that I was getting dropped about every 120 seconds,
    > with reconnects taking many minutes, usually requiring that I wait
    > for several minutes to see what my router would do, then
    > disconnecting it from power so as to get a restart. So each
    > reconnect could take up to 10 minutes or more.

    I had set a machine up for a buddy of mine a few weeks back, with a
    similar problem. I had set the machine up with a static address and
    forgot to tell the router not to use that address for dhcp. So it was
    two machines running with the same IP address that was causing the
    problem.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
    in one which is infinitely worse. - Margaret Atwood

  18. Re: Mplayer will not load

    "Claude S. Sutton, Jr"
    writes:

    > On 2008-02-24, CBFalconer wrote:
    >> "Claude S. Sutton, Jr" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am reinstalling from the repository. I removed, shut down
    >>> completely, restarted, reinstalled and have the same problem.

    >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    >> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    >> irrelevant material. See the following links:
    >>

    > I know all of that.
    >
    > A short lapse of memory in that I rarely post on newsgroups.
    >
    > By the way, I would be much more impressed with your vast knowledge if
    > you knew something about how to solve the problem.
    >
    > Apparently the extent of your knowlege is where to insert your opinion
    > in the page.
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help.

    Fantastic response.

  19. Re: Mplayer will not load

    On 2008-02-25, Michael C. wrote:

    > I had set a machine up for a buddy of mine a few weeks back, with a
    > similar problem. I had set the machine up with a static address and
    > forgot to tell the router not to use that address for dhcp. So it was
    > two machines running with the same IP address that was causing the
    > problem.
    >
    > Michael C.

    Thanks for a ver good suggestion.

    I am leaving shortly for the rest of the day and will not get to recheck
    my machine settings until tonight or tomorrow, but I will do so.

    Because the problem is sporadic, I believe I have it right, but I will
    look into it.

    Thanks again.

    CSSJR

    --
    If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

  20. Re: Mplayer will not load

    On 2008-02-24, Moog wrote:

    > Here goes. Open a terminal and type
    > $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop