Text to speech (or picture to speech) apps? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Text to speech (or picture to speech) apps? - Ubuntu ; I've done some preliminary searches and will be doing more. I'm not looking for anyone to do any searches for me. I would like to know if anyone knows offhand of any good "Text to Speech" or "Picture to Speech" ...

  1. Text to speech (or picture to speech) apps?

    I've done some preliminary searches and will be doing more. I'm not looking
    for anyone to do any searches for me. I would like to know if anyone knows
    offhand of any good "Text to Speech" or "Picture to Speech" applications and
    where I might look for more info. The goal would be to set something up
    (like an inexpensive laptop) for a speech impaired/autistic person as an aid
    to communication.

    Again, I am not looking for someone to do the legwork... just wondering if
    anyone has already done some and found anything they'd like to share.

    Thanks

    Ed

  2. Re: Text to speech (or picture to speech) apps?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacspeak

    enjoy.

    --
    Murphy was an optimist.

  3. Re: Text to speech (or picture to speech) apps?

    "Hadron" wrote in message

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacspeak
    >
    > enjoy.

    Thanks!

    > "Ed Edelenbos" writes:
    >
    >> I've done some preliminary searches and will be doing more. I'm not
    >> looking
    >> for anyone to do any searches for me. I would like to know if anyone
    >> knows
    >> offhand of any good "Text to Speech" or "Picture to Speech" applications
    >> and
    >> where I might look for more info. The goal would be to set something up
    >> (like an inexpensive laptop) for a speech impaired/autistic person as an
    >> aid
    >> to communication.
    >>
    >> Again, I am not looking for someone to do the legwork... just wondering
    >> if
    >> anyone has already done some and found anything they'd like to share.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>

    > --
    > Murphy was an optimist.

  4. Re: Text to speech (or picture to speech) apps?

    Ed Edelenbos schrieb:
    > I've done some preliminary searches and will be doing more. I'm not looking
    > for anyone to do any searches for me. I would like to know if anyone knows
    > offhand of any good "Text to Speech" or "Picture to Speech" applications and
    > where I might look for more info. The goal would be to set something up
    > (like an inexpensive laptop) for a speech impaired/autistic person as an aid
    > to communication.
    >
    > Again, I am not looking for someone to do the legwork... just wondering if
    > anyone has already done some and found anything they'd like to share.

    http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

    Christopher

  5. Re: Text to speech (or picture to speech) apps?

    "Christopher Hübner" wrote in message
    > Ed Edelenbos schrieb:
    >> I've done some preliminary searches and will be doing more. I'm not
    >> looking
    >> for anyone to do any searches for me. I would like to know if anyone
    >> knows
    >> offhand of any good "Text to Speech" or "Picture to Speech" applications
    >> and
    >> where I might look for more info. The goal would be to set something up
    >> (like an inexpensive laptop) for a speech impaired/autistic person as an
    >> aid
    >> to communication.
    >>
    >> Again, I am not looking for someone to do the legwork... just wondering
    >> if
    >> anyone has already done some and found anything they'd like to share.
    >>

    > http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/
    >
    > Christopher

    Thanks very much.

    Ed