cd/dvd drive questions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on cd/dvd drive questions - Ubuntu ; I have an older machine running ubuntu. It is a Compaq celeron 1.4. It currently just has a cd drive (not a burner). I am thinking of upgrading the drive to a cdrw/dvd player or maybe a dvd burner. When ...

  1. cd/dvd drive questions

    I have an older machine running ubuntu. It is a Compaq celeron 1.4. It
    currently just has a cd drive (not a burner). I am thinking of upgrading
    the drive to a cdrw/dvd player or maybe a dvd burner. When I look at
    various drives, the Sys Requirements say I can run the dvd player but my
    processor isn't fast enough for the burner. Are these specs written
    assuming Windows will be the OS or are they generic processor requirements?
    Linux seems to be a lot more efficient processor-wise (i.e. stuff runs
    faster) which is why I ask. Along the same lines, are there any specifics I
    should check for compatability? (i.e. brands/models that Ubuntu has
    problems with, etc.)?

    TIA
    Ed

  2. Re: cd/dvd drive questions

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:13:53 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > I have an older machine running ubuntu. It is a Compaq celeron 1.4. It
    > currently just has a cd drive (not a burner). I am thinking of
    > upgrading the drive to a cdrw/dvd player or maybe a dvd burner. When I
    > look at various drives, the Sys Requirements say I can run the dvd
    > player but my processor isn't fast enough for the burner. Are these
    > specs written assuming Windows will be the OS or are they generic
    > processor requirements? Linux seems to be a lot more efficient
    > processor-wise (i.e. stuff runs faster) which is why I ask. Along the
    > same lines, are there any specifics I should check for compatability?
    > (i.e. brands/models that Ubuntu has problems with, etc.)?

    It'll have no problems. I've used burners on old Pentium 133 Mhz systems
    before to back stuff up so a Celeron 1.4 will be fine.

    --
    Conor

    The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how
    seldom they defeat us.

  3. Re: cd/dvd drive questions

    "Conor" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:13:53 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> I have an older machine running ubuntu. It is a Compaq celeron 1.4. It
    >> currently just has a cd drive (not a burner). I am thinking of
    >> upgrading the drive to a cdrw/dvd player or maybe a dvd burner. When I
    >> look at various drives, the Sys Requirements say I can run the dvd
    >> player but my processor isn't fast enough for the burner. Are these
    >> specs written assuming Windows will be the OS or are they generic
    >> processor requirements? Linux seems to be a lot more efficient
    >> processor-wise (i.e. stuff runs faster) which is why I ask. Along the
    >> same lines, are there any specifics I should check for compatability?
    >> (i.e. brands/models that Ubuntu has problems with, etc.)?
    >>

    > It'll have no problems. I've used burners on old Pentium 133 Mhz systems
    > before to back stuff up so a Celeron 1.4 will be fine.
    >
    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how
    > seldom they defeat us.

    Thanks. I appreciate the response. Re-reading my question, I'm a little
    ambiguous... I'm sure the cd burner will work and that the dvd player will
    work. What I wonder is whether a dvd *burner* will work or not. My error
    in phrasing the question.

    Ed

  4. Re: cd/dvd drive questions

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:28:02 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Conor" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:13:53 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an older machine running ubuntu. It is a Compaq celeron 1.4.
    >>> It currently just has a cd drive (not a burner). I am thinking of
    >>> upgrading the drive to a cdrw/dvd player or maybe a dvd burner. When
    >>> I look at various drives, the Sys Requirements say I can run the dvd
    >>> player but my processor isn't fast enough for the burner. Are these
    >>> specs written assuming Windows will be the OS or are they generic
    >>> processor requirements? Linux seems to be a lot more efficient
    >>> processor-wise (i.e. stuff runs faster) which is why I ask. Along the
    >>> same lines, are there any specifics I should check for compatability?
    >>> (i.e. brands/models that Ubuntu has problems with, etc.)?
    >>>

    >> It'll have no problems. I've used burners on old Pentium 133 Mhz
    >> systems before to back stuff up so a Celeron 1.4 will be fine.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Conor
    >>
    >> The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how
    >> seldom they defeat us.

    > Thanks. I appreciate the response. Re-reading my question, I'm a
    > little ambiguous... I'm sure the cd burner will work and that the dvd
    > player will work. What I wonder is whether a dvd *burner* will work or
    > not. My error in phrasing the question.
    >
    > Ed

    I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that most new units have
    underrun protection - Not sure exactly how that works.

    BTW - I run a DVD writer on my Gentoo mini-itx system with 1 ghz VIA c3
    processor without difficulty - and that is certainly much slower than a
    Celery 1.4. Figures I've seen equat the 1.0 C3 with about a 700mgz Celery.

  5. Re: cd/dvd drive questions

    "ray" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:28:02 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> "Conor" wrote in message

    >>> It'll have no problems. I've used burners on old Pentium 133 Mhz
    >>> systems before to back stuff up so a Celeron 1.4 will be fine.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Conor
    >>>
    >>> The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how
    >>> seldom they defeat us.

    >> Thanks. I appreciate the response. Re-reading my question, I'm a
    >> little ambiguous... I'm sure the cd burner will work and that the dvd
    >> player will work. What I wonder is whether a dvd *burner* will work or
    >> not. My error in phrasing the question.
    >>
    >> Ed

    > I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that most new units have
    > underrun protection - Not sure exactly how that works.
    >
    > BTW - I run a DVD writer on my Gentoo mini-itx system with 1 ghz VIA c3
    > processor without difficulty - and that is certainly much slower than a
    > Celery 1.4. Figures I've seen equat the 1.0 C3 with about a 700mgz Celery.

    Great, thanks.

    Ed

+ Reply to Thread