GUI network tool - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on GUI network tool - Ubuntu ; SamSpade for Win is a GUI network query tool which I use very frequently in spam related issues along with NetDemon and some websites such as DNSStuff, mxtoolbox, robtex, serversniff and numerous others. -n-x has a great reputation for various ...

  1. GUI network tool

    SamSpade for Win is a GUI network query tool which I use very frequently
    in spam related issues along with NetDemon and some websites such as
    DNSStuff, mxtoolbox, robtex, serversniff and numerous others.

    -n-x has a great reputation for various network tools, but I seem to be
    finding it hard to find a GUI tool like SamSpade or NetDemon for simple
    tasks like nslookup an IP, dns & mx a domainname, whois an IP at ripe,
    arin, apnic, afrinic, krnic, jpnic, internic, geektools, cymru, radb,
    and others, dig a domainname, tracert an IP using icmp + udp + tcp
    port80, or a similar /n/x tool to Steve Gibson's IDServe. There are
    plenty of ways to do things with a commandline in linux. I don't need
    'graphics', but I want to point and click at the wordstring function I
    want instead of keyboarding in every letter of every whois in the world.

    I've googled on such combination terms as samspade linux and I've
    searched thru' the descriptions and symbols of the top 100 security
    tools at http://sectools.org/ -- but those tools don't seem to be what
    I'm looking for. The list contains both linux and win (and mac) network
    security tools in both gui and commandline versions, but it doesn't seem
    to have a nice little linux gui which performs like samspade or netdemon
    or idserve.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: GUI network tool

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:43:01 -0800, "Mike Easter"
    wrote:

    >SamSpade for Win is a GUI network query tool which I use very frequently
    >in spam related issues along with NetDemon and some websites such as
    >DNSStuff, mxtoolbox, robtex, serversniff and numerous others.

    Ok, if you must ;-)

    >I've googled on such combination terms as samspade linux and I've
    >searched thru' the descriptions and symbols of the top 100 security
    >tools at http://sectools.org/ -- but those tools don't seem to be what
    >I'm looking for. The list contains both linux and win (and mac) network
    >security tools in both gui and commandline versions, but it doesn't seem
    >to have a nice little linux gui which performs like samspade or netdemon
    >or idserve.

    Have you actually tried SamSpade on linux? The Windows
    version worked fine under Wine last time I tried it.

    --
    John Bean

  3. Re: GUI network tool

    John Bean wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> SamSpade for Win is a GUI network query tool which I use

    >> a nice little linux gui which performs
    >> like samspade or netdemon or idserve.

    > Have you actually tried SamSpade on linux? The Windows
    > version worked fine under Wine last time I tried it.

    No, I just used the wine app db to find that SSwin wasn't mentioned.

    There is some interesting experimentation one could do with the wine
    implementation, as there are some registry mods which help with some SSw
    whois menues.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: GUI network tool

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:30:42 -0800, "Mike Easter"
    wrote:

    >John Bean wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> SamSpade for Win is a GUI network query tool which I use

    >>> a nice little linux gui which performs
    >>> like samspade or netdemon or idserve.

    >> Have you actually tried SamSpade on linux? The Windows
    >> version worked fine under Wine last time I tried it.

    >No, I just used the wine app db to find that SSwin wasn't mentioned.

    Just download the SS installer and run it in Wine. It
    installs and even puts a shoetcut on the desktop. It appears
    to work, I just tried it.

    Better (and quicker) than reading or asking about it is to
    just try it yourself.

    >There is some interesting experimentation one could do with the wine
    >implementation, as there are some registry mods which help with some SSw
    >whois menues.

    Then T R Y I T !

    --
    John Bean

  5. Re: GUI network tool

    John Bean wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    > Just download the SS installer and run it in Wine. It
    > installs and even puts a shoetcut on the desktop. It appears
    > to work, I just tried it.
    >
    > Better (and quicker) than reading or asking about it is to
    > just try it yourself.
    >
    >> There is some interesting experimentation one could do with the wine
    >> implementation, as there are some registry mods which help with some
    >> SSw whois menues.

    > Then T R Y I T !

    yeah yeah yeah... :-)

    Generally I'm running a linux distro install 'parallel' (via KVM on
    another box) when I'm running this win98 I'm on right now.

    The particular distro 'there'/(here now) is Freespire 2.0.8 which has
    Wine 0.9.4.1 (an ub feisty version) which was installed with freespire
    CNR.

    But, the freespire installed menu situation is funky compared to my Ub
    install of Wine, which is on another partition and isn't booted up just
    now.

    In the freespire2 (which is a kde derivation of ub feisty) I don't have
    the right kind of menu access to wine's function. In Utilities I have a
    wine file, wine help browser and wine notepad; and in System I have a
    wine uninstall. Wine file is a windows explorer gizmo. I don't have
    the same kind of 'wine place' I have in Ub.

    In a little while I'll boot up the ub wine and compare how it works.
    That ub's the one which/where it/ looks like it would/should be possible
    to install SSwin and perhaps IrfanView as well.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: GUI network tool

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:30:42 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > No, I just used the wine app db to find that SSwin wasn't mentioned.

    Most of the wine programs I use aren't listed. I guess people are just
    too lazy to mention when things work and that's a shame. We really
    ought to make more of an effort.

  7. Re: GUI network tool

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:24:14 -0800, "Mike Easter"
    wrote:
    >yeah yeah yeah... :-)

    Heh ;-)

    >The particular distro 'there'/(here now) is Freespire 2.0.8 which has
    >Wine 0.9.4.1 (an ub feisty version) which was installed with freespire
    >CNR.

    I used 0.9.46 on Gutsy, it is a considerable improvement in
    both desktop integration and stability compared with earlier
    versions IMO.

    >In a little while I'll boot up the ub wine and compare how it works.
    >That ub's the one which/where it/ looks like it would/should be possible
    >to install SSwin and perhaps IrfanView as well.

    Try Faststone instead of Irfanview if you've never tried it,
    it works perfectly installed by Wine and is a remarkably
    professional piece of software, less quirky than Irfanview.

    There's also a "portable" version of it (no install needed)
    that I use from a usb memory stick on both Windows and Linux
    PCs.

    Perfect :-)

    --
    John Bean

  8. Re: GUI network tool

    John Bean wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> IrfanView

    > Try Faststone instead of Irfanview if you've never tried it,

    One of my 'favoritest' functions of IV is the ability to snag a graphic
    from somewhere, say a webpage, and determine what size bigger or littler
    I would like for it to be by jacking up or down its 'zoom' with the
    little +/- 10% function so that I can get it exactly the size I like for
    sending to someone or such. Then I resize/resample it according to that
    size. Then typically I annotate it with the insert text function and I
    might be changing its fileformat or its color depth or whatever to suit
    me.

    Most other viewers/manipulators aren't as slick and easy about helping
    me to choose the size I want by clicking a button to get there and/or
    they don't handle the resize/resample function as gracefully as IV.

    I'll take a look at faststone. http://www.faststone.org/index.htm

    > it works perfectly installed by Wine and is a remarkably
    > professional piece of software, less quirky than Irfanview.
    >
    > There's also a "portable" version of it (no install needed)
    > that I use from a usb memory stick on both Windows and Linux
    > PCs.
    >
    > Perfect :-)

    I like the idea that it is portable and that it runs under wine and that
    it runs under W98.

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: GUI network tool

    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > SamSpade for Win is a GUI network query tool which I use very frequently
    > in spam related issues along with NetDemon and some websites such as
    > DNSStuff, mxtoolbox, robtex, serversniff and numerous others.
    >
    > -n-x has a great reputation for various network tools, but I seem to be
    > finding it hard to find a GUI tool like SamSpade or NetDemon for simple
    > tasks like nslookup an IP, dns & mx a domainname, whois an IP at ripe,
    > arin, apnic, afrinic, krnic, jpnic, internic, geektools, cymru, radb,
    > and others, dig a domainname, tracert an IP using icmp + udp + tcp
    > port80, or a similar /n/x tool to Steve Gibson's IDServe. There are
    > plenty of ways to do things with a commandline in linux. I don't need
    > 'graphics', but I want to point and click at the wordstring function I
    > want instead of keyboarding in every letter of every whois in the world.

    gnome-nettool can do some of this things. But as you usually have one
    tool for one task in the Unix world you'll most likely find better
    apps if you don't insist in having everything in on app.

    Florian

  10. Re: GUI network tool

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:43:01 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    So what is wrong with dig and whois?