CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280 - Ubuntu ; I just replaced my old HP PSC 1205 with a Photosmart C5280 so I can print onto CDs. of course there is no bundled Linux software for doing this and no details of the page set up requirements. I have ...

  1. CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280

    I just replaced my old HP PSC 1205 with a Photosmart C5280 so I can
    print onto CDs. of course there is no bundled Linux software for doing
    this and no details of the page set up requirements. I have done a test
    print from Open Office and it seems to reference printing to the top
    left corner of the page.

    So, my question is, is there a Linux app that I can use to compose and
    print CD labels to this printer or is there a template I can use in Open
    Office that will restrict printing to within a circular boundary?

    Cheers

    Ian

  2. Re: CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    > I just replaced my old HP PSC 1205 with a Photosmart C5280 so I can
    > print onto CDs. of course there is no bundled Linux software for doing
    > this and no details of the page set up requirements. I have done a test
    > print from Open Office and it seems to reference printing to the top
    > left corner of the page.
    >
    > So, my question is, is there a Linux app that I can use to compose and
    > print CD labels to this printer or is there a template I can use in Open
    > Office that will restrict printing to within a circular boundary?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    Funny you should mention that... Just last week I reinstalled a program
    I used years ago under RH 7. cdlabelgen should do the job. At least
    according to the man page. I was just using it for labels for DVD cases
    but they say it should be able to print onto a CD or DVD.

    Later
    Mike

  3. Re: CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280

    The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >> I just replaced my old HP PSC 1205 with a Photosmart C5280 so I can
    >> print onto CDs. of course there is no bundled Linux software for doing
    >> this and no details of the page set up requirements. I have done a test
    >> print from Open Office and it seems to reference printing to the top
    >> left corner of the page.
    >>
    >> So, my question is, is there a Linux app that I can use to compose and
    >> print CD labels to this printer or is there a template I can use in Open
    >> Office that will restrict printing to within a circular boundary?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Funny you should mention that... Just last week I reinstalled a program
    > I used years ago under RH 7. cdlabelgen should do the job. At least
    > according to the man page. I was just using it for labels for DVD cases
    > but they say it should be able to print onto a CD or DVD.
    >
    > Later
    > Mike

    Thanks, that looks interesting. The man page does indeed say is not
    creates labels for direct printing on CDs. I have also tried glabels
    which allows you to create you own template which so far seems to work
    OK too.

    Cheers

    Ian

  4. Re: CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    > I just replaced my old HP PSC 1205 with a Photosmart C5280 so I can
    > print onto CDs. of course there is no bundled Linux software for doing
    > this and no details of the page set up requirements. I have done a test
    > print from Open Office and it seems to reference printing to the top
    > left corner of the page.
    >
    > So, my question is, is there a Linux app that I can use to compose and
    > print CD labels to this printer or is there a template I can use in Open
    > Office that will restrict printing to within a circular boundary?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    Hi Ian.

    Try KCDlabel. It does the job very nicely.
    Keep smiling.
    Don.

  5. Re: CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280

    don wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >> I just replaced my old HP PSC 1205 with a Photosmart C5280 so I can
    >> print onto CDs. of course there is no bundled Linux software for doing
    >> this and no details of the page set up requirements. I have done a
    >> test print from Open Office and it seems to reference printing to the
    >> top left corner of the page.
    >>
    >> So, my question is, is there a Linux app that I can use to compose and
    >> print CD labels to this printer or is there a template I can use in
    >> Open Office that will restrict printing to within a circular boundary?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Hi Ian.
    >
    > Try KCDlabel. It does the job very nicely.
    > Keep smiling.
    > Don.

    Can't find that with apt-get -is it in the ubuntu repositories??

    Cheers

    ian

  6. Re: CD Printing on HP Photosmart C5280 Solved

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    > don wrote:
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >>> I just replaced my old HP PSC 1205 with a Photosmart C5280 so I can
    >>> print onto CDs. of course there is no bundled Linux software for
    >>> doing this and no details of the page set up requirements. I have
    >>> done a test print from Open Office and it seems to reference printing
    >>> to the top left corner of the page.
    >>>
    >>> So, my question is, is there a Linux app that I can use to compose
    >>> and print CD labels to this printer or is there a template I can use
    >>> in Open Office that will restrict printing to within a circular
    >>> boundary?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> Hi Ian.
    >>
    >> Try KCDlabel. It does the job very nicely.
    >> Keep smiling.
    >> Don.

    > Can't find that with apt-get -is it in the ubuntu repositories??
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > ian

    Don't know if you're printing on CD/DVD after all this time, but I
    just managed to print labels with my C5280 starting from a gratis OO
    Word template from here -http://andrealazzarotto.com/

    If your Italian is as bad as mine, the link to the template is hidden
    under this heading:- Copertine cd con la Hp Photosmart C5280
    (first line in 2nd paragraph under second smiley, - the link doesn't
    work with Babel)

    I made an OO drawing template from that original which anyone is
    welcome to.

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very

+ Reply to Thread