Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007? - Ubuntu ; I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007 and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier, though. I've heard about mouse driver ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101

  1. Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?

    *TimDaniels*

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    > and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    > experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    > though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    > bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    > run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    > any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?

    Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.

    Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    Archives for VMware GSX Server

    http://www.vmware.com/download/

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "Ampers Taylor" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    >> and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    >> experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    >> though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    >> bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    >> run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    >> any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?

    > Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >
    > Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    > Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >
    > http://www.vmware.com/download/

    I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    space than Virtual PC. Have you had any recent experience with
    VPC and Ubuntu?

    *TimDaniels*

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    > and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    > experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    > though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    > bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    > run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    > any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Disparaging? Not really VirtualPC is a poor VM implemtation. It's
    nowhere near as good as other solutions.

    There's one polished point and click solution

    www.virtualbox.org

    It is *far* better than VistualPC and is far easier to set up.

    You could also try VMware server. It's good, but I prefer Virtualbox.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Ampers Taylor" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    >>> any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?

    >> Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >>
    >> Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    >> Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >>
    >> http://www.vmware.com/download/

    > I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    > space than Virtual PC. Have you had any recent experience with
    > VPC and Ubuntu?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I doubt, that HD Space is an issue. 4GB for a guest OS in a virtual
    machine should be enough. About RAM I don't know - I have 4 GB on my PC
    and 64 MB on my XBox. Both run some kind of Debian. But if performance
    is the most important thing for you, than you should think about a dual
    boot setup.

    btw. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on in vmware: Like a charm. Very smooth.

    Why don't you just find out? Install both, compare and share your
    findings. I would be happy to hear about it.

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Ampers Taylor" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    >>> and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    >>> experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    >>> though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    >>> bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    >>> run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    >>> any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?

    >> Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >>
    >> Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    >> Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >>
    >> http://www.vmware.com/download/

    > I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    > space than Virtual PC.

    Good. Feel free to believe anything
    You could naturally try yourself, as you could simply download it and look
    for yourself.
    But that would be too easy, I guess

    > Have you had any recent experience with VPC and Ubuntu?

    Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    unstable Host?
    Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    sense than the other way around
    --
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
    To mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    > sense than the other way around

    That's not necessarily true. There are scenarios, where it makes a lot
    more sense to run a Linux guest in a windows host.

    But now, we are getting slightly off topic.

  8. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    > and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS.

    God, I really do wish you'd get tired of trolling here. Just install
    Ubuntu already or get lost.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  9. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Ampers Taylor" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    >>> and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    >>> experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    >>> though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    >>> bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    >>> run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    >>> any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?

    >> Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >>
    >> Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    >> Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >>
    >> http://www.vmware.com/download/

    > I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    > space than Virtual PC. Have you had any recent experience with
    > VPC and Ubuntu?

    Having tried both, they both work but I found vmware far easier to get
    set up and running regarding networking and so on, initially at least.
    vmware also has more useful features, virtual PC sems a little sparse in
    comparison.

    But! Installing vmware tools broke the networking in ubuntu in a way
    I've not had time to really look into yet, and I'm having an awful time
    with how fast / slow it runs (issues with using an AMD dual core
    processor it seems) which I've also not fully got to the bottom of either.

    Of course, ymmv. I'd install them both and see which you prefer to be
    honest, creating a VM and installing ubuntu doesn't take much time in
    either.

    --
    [ste]

  10. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Moog wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    >> and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    >> experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    >> though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    >> bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    >> run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    >> any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > Disparaging? Not really VirtualPC is a poor VM implemtation. It's
    > nowhere near as good as other solutions.
    >
    > There's one polished point and click solution
    >
    > www.virtualbox.org
    >
    > It is *far* better than VistualPC and is far easier to set up.
    >
    > You could also try VMware server. It's good, but I prefer Virtualbox.

    Not tired that one, will give it a go. Thanks!

    --
    [ste]

  11. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "PeterKöhlmann" wrote in message

    > Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    > unstable Host?
    > Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    > sense than the other way around

    Especially when you don't have linux drivers for some of the hardware.
    Do you always jump in and tell people they are wrong without thinking first?
    It appears that you do.

    > --
    > To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
    > To mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.

    --
    To install a linux box you need to work at it.
    To install a windows box you just order it.

  12. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "[ste parker]" wrote in message
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >>>
    >>> Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    >>> Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >>>
    >>> http://www.vmware.com/download/

    >> I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    >> space than Virtual PC. Have you had any recent experience with
    >> VPC and Ubuntu?

    > Having tried both, they both work but I found vmware far easier to get set
    > up and running regarding networking and so on, initially at least.

    Are you sure?
    It just worked when I did it on vpc.. no effort required once you add the
    command line stuff needed to fix the mouse and graphics.

    > > vmware also has more useful features, virtual PC sems a little sparse in

    > comparison.

    ???

    > But! Installing vmware tools broke the networking in ubuntu in a way I've
    > not had time to really look into yet, and I'm having an awful time with
    > how fast / slow it runs (issues with using an AMD dual core processor it
    > seems) which I've also not fully got to the bottom of either.
    >
    > Of course, ymmv. I'd install them both and see which you prefer to be
    > honest, creating a VM and installing ubuntu doesn't take much time in
    > either.
    >
    > --
    > [ste]

  13. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "PeterKöhlmann" wrote in message
    >

    >> Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    >> unstable Host?
    >> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    >> sense than the other way around

    > Especially when you don't have linux drivers for some of the hardware.
    > Do you always jump in and tell people they are wrong without thinking
    > first? It appears that you do.

    Strange. I have linux drivers for *all* the hardware in my different
    computers.
    Face it: The driver situation for Vista is worse than for linux, and for
    64bit Vista it is completely ****ty.

    As usual, you are blubbering your idiotic drivel. You have no idea at all
    about linux, and you try to compensate that with idiocy

    Figures. You are a Vista user. It can't get possibly dumber than that
    --
    Microsoft? Is that some kind of a toilet paper?

  14. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Ampers Taylor" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> I've heard disparaging remarks about MS's Virtual PC 2007
    >>> and its ability to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) as a guest OS. Those
    >>> experiences seem to have been with Ubuntu v. 7.04 or earlier,
    >>> though. I've heard about mouse driver problems and video
    >>> bit depth which required modifications before the GUI would
    >>> run properly. Does anyone here know if Ubuntu v. 7.10 has
    >>> any fixes for those so that it would run well on Virtual PC 2007?

    >> Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >>
    >> Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    >> Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >>
    >> http://www.vmware.com/download/

    > I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    > space than Virtual PC. Have you had any recent experience with
    > VPC and Ubuntu?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Look dickbrain, the host computer should be Linux. Of course, VirtualPC
    won't run on a Linux host, so your choices of VMs are then limited to those
    suggested here.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  15. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:39:24 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:

    >Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >>>
    >>> Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    >>> Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >>>
    >>> http://www.vmware.com/download/

    >> I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    >> space than Virtual PC.

    >Good. Feel free to believe anything
    >You could naturally try yourself, as you could simply download it and look
    >for yourself.
    >But that would be too easy, I guess
    >
    >> Have you had any recent experience with VPC and Ubuntu?
    >>

    >Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    >unstable Host?
    >Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    >sense than the other way around

    Not if it doesn't work properly. Running Ubuntu within a VM under
    Vista or XP works well -- running XP or Win2K within a VM under Ubuntu
    does not. I've tried it both ways (using 7.04). If there has been a
    significant improvement in this regard using 7.10, I have yet to hear
    of it.

    --
    Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

  16. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Alexander Ladda wrote:

    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Try VMWare's "VMware Server" and it is free.
    >>>
    >>> Includes Drivers & Tools and Open Source
    >>> Archives for VMware GSX Server
    >>>
    >>> http://www.vmware.com/download/

    >> I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    >> space than Virtual PC. Have you had any recent experience with
    >> VPC and Ubuntu?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >>

    > I doubt, that HD Space is an issue. 4GB for a guest OS in a virtual
    > machine should be enough. About RAM I don't know - I have 4 GB on my PC
    > and 64 MB on my XBox. Both run some kind of Debian. But if performance
    > is the most important thing for you, than you should think about a dual
    > boot setup.

    He wants to use networking between Linux and Windoze when he's using his
    computer. Can't do that with a dualboot system. In any case, he's a troll
    and has proven to be a waste of time.

    > btw. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on in vmware: Like a charm. Very smooth.
    >
    > Why don't you just find out? Install both, compare and share your
    > findings. I would be happy to hear about it.

    Good. Give him your email address and he can contact you directly.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  17. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Jay Somerset wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:39:24 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    >>> space than Virtual PC.

    >>Good. Feel free to believe anything
    >>You could naturally try yourself, as you could simply download it and look
    >>for yourself.
    >>But that would be too easy, I guess
    >>
    >>> Have you had any recent experience with VPC and Ubuntu?
    >>>

    >>Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    >>unstable Host?
    >>Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    >>sense than the other way around

    > Not if it doesn't work properly. Running Ubuntu within a VM under
    > Vista or XP works well -- running XP or Win2K within a VM under Ubuntu
    > does not. I've tried it both ways (using 7.04). If there has been a
    > significant improvement in this regard using 7.10, I have yet to hear
    > of it.

    Strange that I run W2K under 2 different VMs (Vmware and VirtualBox) on
    linux. Both work perfectly well

    I don't care for your bull****, I *know* that running windows in VMs runs
    good. The other way around not necessarily
    --
    You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species

  18. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Jay Somerset wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:39:24 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    >>> space than Virtual PC.

    >>Good. Feel free to believe anything
    >>You could naturally try yourself, as you could simply download it and look
    >>for yourself.
    >>But that would be too easy, I guess
    >>
    >>> Have you had any recent experience with VPC and Ubuntu?
    >>>

    >>Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    >>unstable Host?
    >>Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    >>sense than the other way around

    > Not if it doesn't work properly. Running Ubuntu within a VM under
    > Vista or XP works well -- running XP or Win2K within a VM under Ubuntu
    > does not. I've tried it both ways (using 7.04). If there has been a
    > significant improvement in this regard using 7.10, I have yet to hear
    > of it.

    Then you should go out there an look. What you've stated is just bull****.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  19. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    > Not if it doesn't work properly. Running Ubuntu within a VM under Vista
    > or XP works well -- running XP or Win2K within a VM under Ubuntu does
    > not. I've tried it both ways (using 7.04). If there has been a
    > significant improvement in this regard using 7.10, I have yet to hear of
    > it.

    Running 2K and XP on VMware on Linux works perfectly, I'm running both
    using VMware 1.0.4 and 64 bit Fedora 7. The only downside of VMware is
    that you have to use SAMBA to share a directory with Windows. I haven't
    found that to be a problem because the kinds of things that I run on
    Windows don't do a lot of IO.

  20. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Jay Somerset wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:39:24 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> I read that VMware takes much more RAM and hard drive
    >>> space than Virtual PC.

    >> Good. Feel free to believe anything
    >> You could naturally try yourself, as you could simply download it and look
    >> for yourself.
    >> But that would be too easy, I guess
    >>
    >>> Have you had any recent experience with VPC and Ubuntu?
    >>>

    >> Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    >> unstable Host?
    >> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    >> sense than the other way around

    > Not if it doesn't work properly. Running Ubuntu within a VM under
    > Vista or XP works well -- running XP or Win2K within a VM under Ubuntu
    > does not. I've tried it both ways (using 7.04). If there has been a
    > significant improvement in this regard using 7.10, I have yet to hear
    > of it.

    I'll add my "me too" to the list. I have XP and ME VMs working fine
    under VMWare in 7.04 at the moment. Hopefully I'll have the full 7.10
    installed by this evening and they should still work.

    Later
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast