Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007? - Ubuntu ; On 2008-02-21, Timothy Daniels wrote: > "Peter Köhlmann" wrote: >> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host >> makes much more sense than the other way around > > I'm stuck with Vista because ...

  1. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On 2008-02-21, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Peter Köhlmann" wrote:
    >> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host
    >> makes much more sense than the other way around

    > I'm stuck with Vista because I need it for other purposes,
    > such as running Visual Studio, and I don't want to mess it up.
    > I was hoping that someone running Ubuntu as a VM on Vista
    > would read this NG.

    My ****ing god, you are thick. Run Vista all you want, but MS's
    Virtualization product is crap. Install VMWare Server on it, and it
    will work fine.

    And have some balls and try things yourself. How much do you think
    you are ever going to learn by asking such trivial questions? If you
    really are a student, you ought to be flunked and sent to McDonald's
    for your career training. Practice saying "Fries with that, sir?",
    because you are never going to make it in the IT world.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >

    >>"Peter K�hlmann" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host
    >>>makes much more sense than the other way around

    >> I'm stuck with Vista because I need it for other purposes,
    >>such as running Visual Studio, and I don't want to mess it up.
    >>I was hoping that someone running Ubuntu as a VM on Vista
    >>would read this NG.
    >>
    >>*TimDaniels*

    > Take it to a Windoze newsgroup if you want to look for Windoze "solutions"
    > for using virtual machines. Why do you think you should get any help inthe
    > Ubuntu newsgroup on how to use a Microsoft product? Are you nuts?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Especially not from stupid POS idiot moron like you.
    FUKK!!!
    Frank

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >

    >>"NoStop" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Take it to a Windoze newsgroup if you want to look for
    >>>Windoze "solutions" for using virtual machines. Why do
    >>>you think you should get any help in the Ubuntu newsgroup
    >>>on how to use a Microsoft product? Are you nuts?

    >> I assume that anyone running Ubuntu under a VM might
    >>read this NG. Some of those people might be using Vista
    >>as a host OS.
    >>
    >>*TimDaniels*

    > Anyone interested in running Ubuntu, would not be running Vista as its host.

    Well only a brain dead idiot like you would run urbuttoo.

    > That way when they learned how beneficial Ubuntu was, compared to Windoze,
    > they could easily just kill Windoze and keep using their computer.

    You have got to kidding? Are you that fukking numb and dumb?
    Figures!
    Asshole loser.
    Frank

    >yeah butt-munch Cheers.

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:52:57 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >> OK, thanks for pointing me back at VirtualBox. I somehow
    >> thought that it had become a pay-for download when Sun bought
    >> it recently.

    > Hmmm. Why would they do that?

    I'd have to wonder that, both Java and OOO are free and from Sun too, do
    they have a history of turning freeware/oss into payware then?

    --
    Some say that Pamela Anderson wouldn't be anybody without her tits.
    That's simply not true, she'd be Paris Hilton

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:01:35 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Why should it? Both 7.04 and 7.10 run just fine and don't need
    > anything from Winders. If you really need Winders access you can
    > dual boot, or run a virtual machine under Linux. Never voluntarily
    > use MS software.

    Do you ever listen to yourself when you talk or do you find that you drift
    in and out?

    --
    Some say that Pamela Anderson wouldn't be anybody without her tits.
    That's simply not true, she'd be Paris Hilton
    - Sarah Silverman

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Joe wrote:
    > And have some balls and try things yourself. How much do you think
    > you are ever going to learn by asking such trivial questions? If you
    > really are a student, you ought to be flunked and sent to McDonald's
    > for your career training. Practice saying "Fries with that, sir?",
    > because you are never going to make it in the IT world.

    Wow, you've crystallized my thoughts eloquently.

    Couldn't have said it better.

    cheers.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:01:35 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Why should it? Both 7.04 and 7.10 run just fine and don't need
    >> anything from Winders. If you really need Winders access you can
    >> dual boot, or run a virtual machine under Linux. Never voluntarily
    >> use MS software.

    > Do you ever listen to yourself when you talk or do you find that you drift
    > in and out?

    The man is an out and out moron. He is clueless.

  8. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    * Timothy Daniels wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "John Bean" wrote:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>>You could also try VMware server. It's good, but I prefer Virtualbox.

    >> I agree, after using both.

    > Did those uses involve a Windows host OS?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I have used Vmware and virtualbox in both ENV's without issue, ie Windows
    host, ubuntu guest and viceversa.

    --
    David

  9. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:17:40 -0500, Jay Somerset
    wrote:

    >It sounds as though I should try the experiment again.

    Maybe it's hardware sensitive but I found Virtualbox far
    simpler and more stable than VMWare when running assorted
    Windows versions in Ububtu.

    Definitely worth another try.

    --
    John Bean

  10. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    John Bean illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:17:40 -0500, Jay Somerset
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It sounds as though I should try the experiment again.

    > Maybe it's hardware sensitive but I found Virtualbox far
    > simpler and more stable than VMWare when running assorted
    > Windows versions in Ububtu.
    >
    > Definitely worth another try.

    I don't know about "simpler". It's got plenty of power under the hood
    and does more than VMware IMHO. The ability to easily create shared
    folders, to steal the hosts USB devices, to adjust virtual graphics
    memory.

    ASAIK, those things aren't available elsehwere.

    Not to mention the ease in which you can bridge networks.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On 22 Feb 2008 20:36:23 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    >John Bean illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:17:40 -0500, Jay Somerset
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It sounds as though I should try the experiment again.

    >> Maybe it's hardware sensitive but I found Virtualbox far
    >> simpler and more stable than VMWare when running assorted
    >> Windows versions in Ububtu.
    >>
    >> Definitely worth another try.

    >I don't know about "simpler". It's got plenty of power under the hood
    >and does more than VMware IMHO. The ability to easily create shared
    >folders, to steal the hosts USB devices, to adjust virtual graphics
    >memory.
    >
    >ASAIK, those things aren't available elsehwere.
    >
    >Not to mention the ease in which you can bridge networks.

    I don't really know what you're arguing about - what you
    just wrote affirms my correct use of the word "simpler". The
    simplicity lies in its ability to "just work" with minimum
    effort on the part of the user, nothing whatsoever to do
    with what goes on behind the scenes. In other words it's
    simpler to deploy and use (than VMWare).

    I thought my meaning was clear, but obviously it wasn't
    clear enough ;-)

    --
    John Bean

  12. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:33:58 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > It's interesting that the big creative names of yesteryear seem to have
    > run out of ideas and are currently running around *purchasing* others.

    Microsoft have been doing that all along. MS-DOS, SQL Server, FoxPro,
    Grate Pains, etc.

    --
    Some say that Pamela Anderson wouldn't be anybody without her tits.
    That's simply not true, she'd be Paris Hilton
    - Sarah Silverman

  13. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    John Bean illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 22 Feb 2008 20:36:23 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >>John Bean illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Maybe it's hardware sensitive but I found Virtualbox far
    >>> simpler and more stable than VMWare when running assorted
    >>> Windows versions in Ububtu.
    >>>
    >>> Definitely worth another try.

    >>I don't know about "simpler". It's got plenty of power under the hood
    >>and does more than VMware IMHO. The ability to easily create shared
    >>folders, to steal the hosts USB devices, to adjust virtual graphics
    >>memory.
    >>
    >>ASAIK, those things aren't available elsehwere.
    >>
    >>Not to mention the ease in which you can bridge networks.

    > I don't really know what you're arguing about - what you
    > just wrote affirms my correct use of the word "simpler". The
    > simplicity lies in its ability to "just work" with minimum
    > effort on the part of the user, nothing whatsoever to do
    > with what goes on behind the scenes. In other words it's
    > simpler to deploy and use (than VMWare).
    >
    > I thought my meaning was clear, but obviously it wasn't
    > clear enough ;-)

    I thought I was being clear too. As *well* as being similar it's got
    power under the hood.

    I was simply embellishing what you said.

    What are you arguing about? ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  14. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:33:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> It's interesting that the big creative names of yesteryear seem to have
    >> run out of ideas and are currently running around *purchasing* others.

    > Microsoft have been doing that all along. MS-DOS, SQL Server, FoxPro,
    > Grate Pains, etc.

    Quite. In fact, isn't that how they started?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:33:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's interesting that the big creative names of yesteryear seem to have
    >>> run out of ideas and are currently running around *purchasing* others.

    >> Microsoft have been doing that all along. MS-DOS, SQL Server, FoxPro,
    >> Grate Pains, etc.

    > Quite. In fact, isn't that how they started?

    Not quite. "Microsoft Basic" for the Altair was actually a copy of a final
    year computer science project written by a guy called Chris Turnbull -
    Gates bootlegged it (Turnbull was /giving/ copies to his friends) and put
    an MS badge on it...

    The rest is unfortunate history!

    C.

  16. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:27:09 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Microsoft have been doing that all along. MS-DOS, SQL Server, FoxPro,
    >>> Grate Pains, etc.

    >> Quite. In fact, isn't that how they started?

    > Not quite. "Microsoft Basic" for the Altair was actually a copy of a final
    > year computer science project written by a guy called Chris Turnbull -
    > Gates bootlegged it (Turnbull was /giving/ copies to his friends) and put
    > an MS badge on it...
    >
    > The rest is unfortunate history!

    The QDOS -> MSDOS saga was a big stepping stone for them though. And as
    for Gary Kill-All-Hope leaving the door wide open for them...

    --
    Some say that Pamela Anderson wouldn't be anybody without her tits.
    That's simply not true, she'd be Paris Hilton
    - Sarah Silverman

  17. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Christopher Hunter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Microsoft have been doing that all along. MS-DOS, SQL Server, FoxPro,
    >>> Grate Pains, etc.

    >> Quite. In fact, isn't that how they started?

    > Not quite. "Microsoft Basic" for the Altair was actually a copy of a final
    > year computer science project written by a guy called Chris Turnbull -
    > Gates bootlegged it (Turnbull was /giving/ copies to his friends) and put
    > an MS badge on it...
    >
    > The rest is unfortunate history!

    Quite. Although that was a part of their history and enabled them to
    operate, their first big break was the QDOS (86-Dos) acquisition IIRC.
    Ironic that IBM (who were looking at purchasing it) farmed their DOS
    to Microsoft (who actually did purchase it)

    One can only wonder.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  18. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Moog wrote:

    > Hmmm. You do this a lot Christopher. While I am no fan of Microsoft,
    > they *have* helped ot enhance computing.

    OK. Credit where credit's due: MS made point 'n click ('n drool!)
    computing available to the masses. However, they made a series of /very/
    poor decisions in the early days, which have repeatedly crippled them.

    If only Gary Kildall had turned up to that meeting...

    C. (still with a machine that runs CP/M3 and GEM!)

  19. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    In article <6amwj.177686$3m6.39821@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > OK. Credit where credit's due: MS made point 'n click ('n drool!)
    > computing available to the masses.

    Which came first -- the Mac, or a usable version of Windows?

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  20. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    In article ,
    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Not quite. "Microsoft Basic" for the Altair was actually a copy of a final
    > year computer science project written by a guy called Chris Turnbull -
    > Gates bootlegged it (Turnbull was /giving/ copies to his friends) and put
    > an MS badge on it...
    >
    > The rest is unfortunate history!

    Odd how no one else ever heard the above story. How did you acquire
    your unique knowledge of this event?

    --
    --Tim Smith