Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007? - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:19:22 -0500, Jay Somerset wrote: >Not if it doesn't work properly. Running Ubuntu within a VM under >Vista or XP works well -- running XP or Win2K within a VM under Ubuntu >does not. I've ...

  1. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    wrote:
    >Not if it doesn't work properly. Running Ubuntu within a VM under
    >Vista or XP works well -- running XP or Win2K within a VM under Ubuntu
    >does not. I've tried it both ways (using 7.04). If there has been a
    >significant improvement in this regard using 7.10, I have yet to hear
    >of it.

    Not my experience, I run both Win2k and XP in Virtualbox
    under Ubuntu without any issues at all. In fact my early
    version of Win2k (build 2195 circa 1999) won't correctly
    install on my 2006 hardware, it can't even initialise the
    nic to download updated drivers, but it installs and runs
    perfectly in Virtualbox and brings itself into the 21st
    century after connecting to Windows Update.

    XP just installs and works both on the real and virtual
    hardware. It also seems pretty much as quick (or slow) in
    the virtual PC as it is in the real one.

    I first started using the virtual Win PCs under Feisty (they
    worked just fine) but when I updated to Gutsy it broke
    something in Virtualbox that needed a re-install. It has
    worked fine ever since, I didn't lose any data in my virtual
    machines of course.

    --
    John Bean

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On 21 Feb 2008 10:32:12 GMT, Moog
    wrote:
    >You could also try VMware server. It's good, but I prefer Virtualbox.

    I agree, after using both.

    --
    John Bean

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >

    >> "PeterKöhlmann" wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Why do you think that people in a ubuntu group would run a stable OS on a
    >>> unstable Host?
    >>> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host makes much more
    >>> sense than the other way around

    >> Especially when you don't have linux drivers for some of the hardware.
    >> Do you always jump in and tell people they are wrong without thinking
    >> first? It appears that you do.
    >>

    > Strange. I have linux drivers for *all* the hardware in my different
    > computers.

    Strange. No one gives a flying **** about your HW and how it
    works. Strangely enough they are interested in their HW and how THAT
    works. Your constant lies and bull**** are turning this help group in to
    another COLA. You constantly claiming Linux is "perfect" and "all HW
    works" is a load of bollox and you know it. Now go away and pull the
    legs off some spiders or something.

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>

    >>> "PeterKöhlmann" wrote in message

    >>> Especially when you don't have linux drivers for some of the hardware.
    >>> Do you always jump in and tell people they are wrong without thinking
    >>> first? It appears that you do.
    >>>

    >> Strange. I have linux drivers for *all* the hardware in my different
    >> computers.

    > Strange. No one gives a flying **** about your HW and how it
    > works. Strangely enough they are interested in their HW and how THAT
    > works. Your constant lies and bull**** are turning this help group in to
    > another COLA. You constantly claiming Linux is "perfect" and "all HW
    > works" is a load of bollox and you know it. Now go away and pull the
    > legs off some spiders or something.

    Works better than Vista. Right or wrong?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "Moog" wrote:
    > There's one polished point and click solution
    >
    > www.virtualbox.org
    >
    > It is *far* better than VistualPC and is far easier to set up.
    >
    > You could also try VMware server. It's good, but I prefer Virtualbox.

    OK, thanks for pointing me back at VirtualBox. I somehow
    thought that it had become a pay-for download when Sun bought
    it recently.

    *TimDaniels*

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "Peter Khlmann" wrote:
    > Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host
    > makes much more sense than the other way around

    I'm stuck with Vista because I need it for other purposes,
    such as running Visual Studio, and I don't want to mess it up.
    I was hoping that someone running Ubuntu as a VM on Vista
    would read this NG.

    *TimDaniels*

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Peter Khlmann" wrote:
    >> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host
    >> makes much more sense than the other way around

    > I'm stuck with Vista because I need it for other purposes,

    You have my sympathy. Nobody deserves such a cruel fate
    Except MD5-dennis and Frank, perhaps
    --
    "...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
    the Ugly)." (By Matt Welsh)

  8. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "NoStop" wrote:
    > Look dickbrain, the host computer should be Linux. Of course,
    > VirtualPC won't run on a Linux host, so your choices of VMs
    > are then limited to those suggested here.

    My question has to do with running Virtual PC on a Vista host
    to run Ubuntu as a guest OS. I'm stuck with Vista as the host OS.

    *TimDaniels*

  9. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "John Bean" wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >>You could also try VMware server. It's good, but I prefer Virtualbox.

    > I agree, after using both.

    Did those uses involve a Windows host OS?

    *TimDaniels*

  10. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "NoStop" wrote:
    >> Look dickbrain, the host computer should be Linux. Of course,
    >> VirtualPC won't run on a Linux host, so your choices of VMs
    >> are then limited to those suggested here.

    > My question has to do with running Virtual PC on a Vista host
    > to run Ubuntu as a guest OS. I'm stuck with Vista as the host OS.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Why are you *stuck* with Vista? What kind of idiot is stuck with anything
    when there are so many ways to be unstuck?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  11. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "Moog" wrote:
    > You could also try VMware server. It's good,
    > but I prefer Virtualbox.

    Were your experiences with VirtualBox using
    Windows as the host OS?

    *TimDaniels*

  12. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "johnny bobby bee" wrote:
    > God, I really do wish you'd get tired of trolling here. Just install Ubuntu
    > already or get lost.

    Do yourself a favor and do some research on "Timothy Daniels"
    in groups.google.com .

    *TimDaniels*

  13. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Peter Khlmann" wrote:
    >> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host
    >> makes much more sense than the other way around

    > I'm stuck with Vista because I need it for other purposes,
    > such as running Visual Studio, and I don't want to mess it up.
    > I was hoping that someone running Ubuntu as a VM on Vista
    > would read this NG.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Take it to a Windoze newsgroup if you want to look for Windoze "solutions"
    for using virtual machines. Why do you think you should get any help in the
    Ubuntu newsgroup on how to use a Microsoft product? Are you nuts?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  14. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    NoStop writes:

    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >
    >> "Peter Khlmann" wrote:
    >>> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host
    >>> makes much more sense than the other way around

    >> I'm stuck with Vista because I need it for other purposes,
    >> such as running Visual Studio, and I don't want to mess it up.
    >> I was hoping that someone running Ubuntu as a VM on Vista
    >> would read this NG.
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > Take it to a Windoze newsgroup if you want to look for Windoze "solutions"
    > for using virtual machines. Why do you think you should get any help in the
    > Ubuntu newsgroup on how to use a Microsoft product? Are you nuts?
    >
    > Cheers.

    It was clear that he was a troll from day one.

  15. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:46:00 +0100, Peter Khlmann
    wrote:

    >Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >
    >> "Peter K?ann" wrote:
    >>> Running windows as a guest system in a VM on a linux host
    >>> makes much more sense than the other way around

    >> I'm stuck with Vista because I need it for other purposes,

    >You have my sympathy. Nobody deserves such a cruel fate

    You got that right. Visual Studio (in particular) is very
    flaky in Vista but fine in XP. Even Microsoft admit defeat
    by strongly recommend you run Visual Studio as Administrator
    in Vista.

    Nobody *needs* Vista for *anything*. Outside of Microsoft I
    know no serious developer using it from choice.

    >Except MD5-dennis and Frank, perhaps

    Heh :-)

    --
    John Bean

  16. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "NoStop" wrote:
    > Take it to a Windoze newsgroup if you want to look for
    > Windoze "solutions" for using virtual machines. Why do
    > you think you should get any help in the Ubuntu newsgroup
    > on how to use a Microsoft product? Are you nuts?

    I assume that anyone running Ubuntu under a VM might
    read this NG. Some of those people might be using Vista
    as a host OS.

    *TimDaniels*

  17. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "NoStop" wrote in message

    > Take it to a Windoze newsgroup if you want to look for Windoze "solutions"
    > for using virtual machines. Why do you think you should get any help in
    > the
    > Ubuntu newsgroup on how to use a Microsoft product? Are you nuts?

    Yes you must be nuts asking for help to run linux in a linux group.

    Try asking the question in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general where they
    will be able to help you run ubuntu in vpc.
    With some here it doesn't matter how many linux machines you run if you have
    a windows machine you don't know what you are doing.

  18. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    "NoStop" wrote:

    > Why are you *stuck* with Vista? What kind of idiot is stuck
    > with anything when there are so many ways to be unstuck?

    I need Vista to run Visual Studio and SQL Server and IIS
    at times. Vista is pre-installed on my Dell laptop, and I don't
    want to mess it up with dual-booting to Linux. (See the treatise
    by Dan Goodell on dual-booting Linux with Vista on a Dell
    laptop with Media Direct, and you'll see that the Dell-proprietary
    boot loader complicates things.) I had hoped to get around that
    by using VMs hosted by Vista. With VMware, I don't know
    the differences between using VM Server, VM Player, and VM
    Appliances. I just want to run a virtual Ubunto Server Edition
    on my laptop with minimal hassles and learning curve.

    *TimDaniels*

  19. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "NoStop" wrote:
    >> Take it to a Windoze newsgroup if you want to look for
    >> Windoze "solutions" for using virtual machines. Why do
    >> you think you should get any help in the Ubuntu newsgroup
    >> on how to use a Microsoft product? Are you nuts?

    > I assume that anyone running Ubuntu under a VM might
    > read this NG. Some of those people might be using Vista
    > as a host OS.

    Yes. All three of them worldwide

    --
    Microsoft? Is that some kind of a toilet paper?

  20. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Virtual PC 2007?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > Do yourself a favor and do some research on "Timothy Daniels"
    > in groups.google.com .

    I don't need to. I've seen enough of your useless questions here to know
    you're nothing but a time-wasting troll who's not installed Linux even once.

    --Benjamin Franklin