Absolute newbie - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Absolute newbie - Ubuntu ; Can someone recommend a book on Linux? What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going into everything in full detail. Perhaps a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 154

  1. Absolute newbie

    Can someone recommend a book on Linux?

    What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    into everything in full detail.

    Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?

    Ampers

  2. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >
    > What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    > culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    > into everything in full detail.
    >
    > Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >
    > Ampers

    Here's a couple of suggestions:

    An online book to get you started with the basics of GNU/Linux:

    http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

    A good site devoted to Ubuntu with plenty of howtos to get things done:

    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

    HTH,

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  3. Re: Absolute newbie

  4. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:
    > Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >
    > What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    > culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    > into everything in full detail.
    >
    > Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >
    > Ampers

    I might add that although I have been in micro computers since 1977, I
    am 68 so am not as quick or as bright as I used to be.

    Ampers

  5. Re: Absolute newbie

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    Thank you for those, much appreciated.

  6. Re: Absolute newbie

    NoStop wrote:
    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>
    >> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >> into everything in full detail.
    >>
    >> Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >>
    >> Ampers

    > Here's a couple of suggestions:
    >
    > An online book to get you started with the basics of GNU/Linux:
    >
    > http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz
    >
    > A good site devoted to Ubuntu with plenty of howtos to get things done:
    >
    > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Cheers.

    Thank you for those, much appreciated.

    Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and there
    doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(

    Ampers

  7. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and
    > there doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(

    Does yours not have
    Message/Create Filter From Message
    then?

    Or
    Tools/Message Filters?

    Unusual.

    Noel.

    --
    It's early retirement. It affects the legs, you know.
    Hyacinth Bucket.

  8. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and there
    > doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(

    Well you can create a message filter in TB. Works better for POP
    accounts then NNTP, with newsgroups the filter can "work" a little
    erratically in my experience. A real newsreader is far better a filtering.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  9. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>>
    >>> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >>> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >>> into everything in full detail.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >>>
    >>> Ampers

    >> Here's a couple of suggestions:
    >>
    >> An online book to get you started with the basics of GNU/Linux:
    >>
    >> http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz
    >>
    >> A good site devoted to Ubuntu with plenty of howtos to get things done:
    >>
    >> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Thank you for those, much appreciated.
    >
    > Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and there
    > doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(
    >
    > Ampers

    Yes, there is. Highlight one of Frank's messages and then go to
    Message/Create Filter from Message. Unfortunately, Frank desperately
    needs attention and continually changes his email address to escape
    filters. I have six for him already.

    Alias

  10. Re: Absolute newbie

    Noel Foster wrote:
    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and
    >> there doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(
    >>

    > Does yours not have
    > Message/Create Filter From Message
    > then?
    >
    > Or
    > Tools/Message Filters?
    >
    > Unusual.
    >
    > Noel.

    AH! I see what you mean. Thanks

  11. Re: Absolute newbie

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and
    >> there doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(

    > Well you can create a message filter in TB. Works better for POP
    > accounts then NNTP, with newsgroups the filter can "work" a little
    > erratically in my experience. A real newsreader is far better a filtering.

    AH! I see what you mean. Thanks

  12. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:
    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>
    >> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >> into everything in full detail.
    >>
    >> Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >>
    >> Ampers

    > I might add that although I have been in micro computers since 1977, I
    > am 68 so am not as quick or as bright as I used to be.
    >
    > Ampers

    If you want to buy books try Alibris.com. Good selection great prices.
    caver1

  13. Re: Absolute newbie

    Alias wrote:
    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Here's a couple of suggestions:
    >>>
    >>> An online book to get you started with the basics of GNU/Linux:
    >>>
    >>> http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz
    >>>
    >>> A good site devoted to Ubuntu with plenty of howtos to get things done:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
    >>>
    >>> HTH,
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Thank you for those, much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and
    >> there doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(
    >>
    >> Ampers

    > Yes, there is. Highlight one of Frank's messages and then go to
    > Message/Create Filter from Message. Unfortunately, Frank desperately
    > needs attention and continually changes his email address to escape
    > filters. I have six for him already.
    >
    > Alias

    You're really are that stupid aren't you?
    Frank

  14. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>>
    >>> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >>> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >>> into everything in full detail.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >>>
    >>> Ampers

    >> Here's a couple of suggestions:
    >>
    >> An online book to get you started with the basics of GNU/Linux:
    >>
    >> http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz
    >>
    >> A good site devoted to Ubuntu with plenty of howtos to get things done:
    >>
    >> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Thank you for those, much appreciated.
    >
    > Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and there
    > doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(
    >
    > Ampers

    No, "nostop", aka, "doris" the cross-dressing, RS ass kissing lying
    linux troll has no idea what a 'killfile" is nor how to use one.
    If you want to killfile anyone or anything I'd start with this entire
    worthless ng which is full of pseudo-intellectual moron idiot lying
    linux losers.
    Frank

  15. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:40:59 +0000
    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >
    > What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    > culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    > into everything in full detail.
    >
    > Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >
    > Ampers

    From a newbie
    No books. google and this forum. Better answers and detailed too!

    --
    :-)

  16. Re: Absolute newbie

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > - --
    > Lew Pitcher
    >
    > Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training | Registered Linux User #112576
    > http://pitcher.digitalfreehold.ca/ | GPG public key available by request
    > - ---------- Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing. ------

    Fix your sig.

  17. Re: Absolute newbie

    Alias wrote:

    > Yes, there is. Highlight one of Frank's messages and then go to
    > Message/Create Filter from Message. Unfortunately, Frank desperately
    > needs attention and continually changes his email address to escape
    > filters. I have six for him already.

    Better still, use a news server that filters boodly roadrunner. Of
    course you then have to put up with the idiots who can resist answering
    him.

    Noel.

    --
    It's early retirement. It affects the legs, you know.
    Hyacinth Bucket.

  18. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor schreef:
    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>
    >> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >> into everything in full detail.
    >>
    >> Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >>
    >> Ampers

    > I might add that although I have been in micro computers since 1977, I
    > am 68 so am not as quick or as bright as I used to be.

    But you started out without Microsoft indoctrination

    The secret to running -any- type of new OS or application is to not be
    afraid of it or intimidated by it.
    You learned from the ground up you can't break a computer just by
    hitting the wrong key.

    > Ampers

  19. Re: Absolute newbie

    Frank wrote:

    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Here's a couple of suggestions:
    >>>
    >>> An online book to get you started with the basics of GNU/Linux:
    >>>
    >>> http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz
    >>>
    >>> A good site devoted to Ubuntu with plenty of howtos to get things done:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
    >>>
    >>> HTH,
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Thank you for those, much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and there
    >> doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(
    >>
    >> Ampers

    > No, "nostop", aka, "doris" the cross-dressing, RS ass kissing lying
    > linux troll has no idea what a 'killfile" is nor how to use one.

    It's the Usenet Village Idiot, aka, Frank that doesn't even use a real
    newsreader. So go **** yourself. You're such a child.

    > Frank

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  20. Re: Absolute newbie

    > Fix your sig.

    What sig?

    I don't see the double-dash-space signature delimiter there.

    I suggest that you fix your attitude

    - --
    Lew Pitcher