Absolute newbie - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Absolute newbie - Ubuntu ; Mike Easter wrote: > .... snip ... > > I don't understand why you are so attached to tera. It isn't a > well admin/ed newsserver. There are free ones which are better, > and there are other commercial NSPs ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 141 to 154 of 154

  1. Re: Absolute newbie

    Mike Easter wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > I don't understand why you are so attached to tera. It isn't a
    > well admin/ed newsserver. There are free ones which are better,
    > and there are other commercial NSPs which are effectively cheaper
    > than tera's $4 and none of them attach ad trailers.
    >
    > What kinds of negative experiences have you had with other
    > newsservers?

    None, except the experience of setting up a wrong password/username
    on one some time ago, and having no way to fix it. I was forced to
    change to teranews quite suddenly, due to my ISPs foulup, and the
    experience of changing all my aliases etc. to continue and control
    my storage systems was a pain. For a year or more there were no
    real comments about the extra length sig., and so things were quite
    happy. Recently however there have been some serious problems with
    teranews, and for some unknown reason people have become excited
    over the sig. They are running into two things - my reluctance to
    do the changing work (and searching out of a suitable server), and
    my fundamental stubborness when faced with unreasonable (to me)
    demands.

    Even without revising things, I find I have little spare time for
    things I want to investigate, and for anything more than following
    the news groups that I do use. I have dropped several already,
    largely based on the spam level.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  2. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:41:10 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > happy. Recently however there have been some serious problems with
    > teranews, and for some unknown reason people have become excited
    > over the sig. They are running into two things - my reluctance to
    > do the changing work (and searching out of a suitable server), and
    > my fundamental stubborness when faced with unreasonable (to me)
    > demands.

    It takes all of 5 minutes to change to a different news server, as far as
    setting up the newsreader client, you dumb ****.

    You've been told a hundred ****ing times that there are numerous decent
    free servers, and that motzarella.org is probably the best choice. Just
    ****ing do it, asshole.

  3. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:41:10 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > For a year or more there were no
    > real comments about the extra length sig., and so things were quite
    > happy. Recently however there have been some serious problems with
    > teranews, and for some unknown reason people have become excited
    > over the sig. They are running into two things - my reluctance to
    > do the changing work (and searching out of a suitable server), and
    > my fundamental stubborness when faced with unreasonable (to me)
    > demands.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: upChuck F (cbfalboner at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

    The problem we have with your doubles sig is not with your double sig. It
    is with you pointing out others flaws, yet your posts are flawed. You
    just don't get it do you.

    stonerfish

  4. Re: Absolute newbie

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > The problem we have with your doubles sig is not with your double
    > sig. It is with you pointing out others flaws, yet your posts
    > are flawed. You just don't get it do you.

    No, you don't get it. The idea is to inform other users of what
    proper Usenet protocol consists. My experience is that such
    messages help greatly. The density of top-posts, html postings,
    etc. have dropped, in my estimation.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:59:35 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> The problem we have with your doubles sig is not with your double
    >> sig. It is with you pointing out others flaws, yet your posts
    >> are flawed. You just don't get it do you.

    > No, you don't get it. The idea is to inform other users of what
    > proper Usenet protocol consists. My experience is that such
    > messages help greatly. The density of top-posts, html postings,
    > etc. have dropped, in my estimation.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: upChuck F (cbfalboner at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

    Right, you are doing such a great service. Usenet would be total chaos
    without you.

    stonerfish
    --
    please read the above post with you irony sensor turned on.

  6. Re: Absolute newbie

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> The problem we have with your doubles sig is not with your double
    >> sig. It is with you pointing out others flaws, yet your posts
    >> are flawed. You just don't get it do you.

    > No, you don't get it. The idea is to inform other users of what
    > proper Usenet protocol consists. My experience is that such
    > messages help greatly. The density of top-posts, html postings,
    > etc. have dropped, in my estimation.

    Your mission to clean up Usenet is far from over! Subscribe to:

    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

    There you can have a fieldday trying to teach the Wintards the merits of not
    top posting.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  7. Re: Absolute newbie

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >>>

    >> ... snip ...
    >>>
    >>> The problem we have with your doubles sig is not with your double
    >>> sig. It is with you pointing out others flaws, yet your posts
    >>> are flawed. You just don't get it do you.

    >> No, you don't get it. The idea is to inform other users of what
    >> proper Usenet protocol consists. My experience is that such
    >> messages help greatly. The density of top-posts, html postings,
    >> etc. have dropped, in my estimation.

    > Right, you are doing such a great service. Usenet would be total
    > chaos without you.

    Well, you have had an explanation. You don't have to accept it,
    and apparently don't. So there is no point to further
    correspondence, and I shall try to refrain from any further answers
    to you. Meanwhile, hopefully, the general public has absorbed my
    attitude, and some fraction of them agree with me.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: Absolute newbie

    jellybean stonerfish writes:

    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:41:10 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >

    >> For a year or more there were no
    >> real comments about the extra length sig., and so things were quite
    >> happy. Recently however there have been some serious problems with
    >> teranews, and for some unknown reason people have become excited
    >> over the sig. They are running into two things - my reluctance to
    >> do the changing work (and searching out of a suitable server), and
    >> my fundamental stubborness when faced with unreasonable (to me)
    >> demands.
    >>
    >> --
    >> [mail]: upChuck F (cbfalboner at maineline dot net)
    >> [page]:
    >> Try the download section.
    >>

    > The problem we have with your doubles sig is not with your double sig.
    > It

    Yes it is.

  9. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:33:56 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Well, you have had an explanation. You don't have to accept it,
    > and apparently don't. So there is no point to further
    > correspondence, and I shall try to refrain from any further answers
    > to you. Meanwhile, hopefully, the general public has absorbed my
    > attitude, and some fraction of them agree with me.

    How about from now on I'll post everything I say twice and no sig.
    Until you amend your ways.

    How about from now on I'll post everything I say twice and no sig.
    Until you amend your ways.

  10. Re: Absolute newbie

    CBFalconer writes:

    > jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>> jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> ... snip ...

    >>> No, you don't get it. The idea is to inform other users of what
    >>> proper Usenet protocol consists. My experience is that such
    >>> messages help greatly. The density of top-posts, html postings,
    >>> etc. have dropped, in my estimation.

    >> Right, you are doing such a great service. Usenet would be total
    >> chaos without you.

    > Well, you have had an explanation. You don't have to accept it,
    > and apparently don't. So there is no point to further
    > correspondence, and I shall try to refrain from any further answers
    > to you. Meanwhile, hopefully, the general public has absorbed my
    > attitude, and some fraction of them agree with me.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

    Nobody agrees with you, you conceited old tosspot.

  11. Re: Absolute newbie

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:33:56 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Well, you have had an explanation. You don't have to accept it,
    >> and apparently don't. So there is no point to further
    >> correspondence, and I shall try to refrain from any further answers
    >> to you. Meanwhile, hopefully, the general public has absorbed my
    >> attitude, and some fraction of them agree with me.

    > How about from now on I'll post everything I say twice and no sig.
    > Until you amend your ways.
    >
    > How about from now on I'll post everything I say twice and no sig.
    > Until you amend your ways.

    That's a good idea.

    That's a good idea.

    That's a good idea.

    Sorry. I got carried away there.

    Sorry. I got carried away there.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Absolute newbie

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:33:56 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Well, you have had an explanation. You don't have to accept it,
    >> and apparently don't. So there is no point to further
    >> correspondence, and I shall try to refrain from any further answers
    >> to you. Meanwhile, hopefully, the general public has absorbed my
    >> attitude, and some fraction of them agree with me.

    > How about from now on I'll post everything I say twice and no sig.
    > Until you amend your ways.

    IMHO it would be nice if you could stop polluting the group with that
    pointless postings.

    Florian

  13. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:16:10 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:33:56 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, you have had an explanation. You don't have to accept it,
    >>> and apparently don't. So there is no point to further
    >>> correspondence, and I shall try to refrain from any further answers
    >>> to you. Meanwhile, hopefully, the general public has absorbed my
    >>> attitude, and some fraction of them agree with me.

    >> How about from now on I'll post everything I say twice and no sig.
    >> Until you amend your ways.

    > IMHO it would be nice if you could stop polluting the group with that
    > pointless postings.

    That Pointless postings?

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  14. Re: Absolute newbie

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:16:10 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best wrote:

    >>> How about from now on I'll post everything I say twice and no sig.
    >>> Until you amend your ways.

    >> IMHO it would be nice if you could stop polluting the group with that
    >> pointless postings.

    > That Pointless postings?

    Telling people like CBFalconer the same thing over and over again.

    fup2 poster

    Florian

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8