Absolute newbie - Ubuntu

  1. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:33:29 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > Fix your sig.

    He's one of the goobs that thinks a PGP signature has some meaningful use
    on Usenet, and they get to do whatever they like with their signature
    blocks, including the non-standard delimiter characters.

  2. Re: Absolute newbie

    NoStop wrote:
    > Frank wrote:

    >>>Thank you for those, much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird and there
    >>>doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(
    >>>
    >>>Ampers

    >>No, "nostop", aka, "doris" the cross-dressing, RS ass kissing lying
    >>linux troll has no idea what a 'killfile" is nor how to use one.

    > It's the Usenet Village Idiot, aka, Frank that doesn't even use a real
    > newsreader. So go **** yourself. You're such a child.
    >

    >>Frank

    > Cheers.

    So much for you kill filling me...LOL!
    You're pathetic and really stupid!
    Frank

  3. Re: Absolute newbie

    Thank you all very much for the information. I have bookmarked the
    websites and will be ordering the book from Amazon in a few days (I need
    something else so I will order the book at the same time).

    I live in London and seem to remember there is a linux group that meet
    in pubs on a Saturday. I'll look them up and join as well.

    Many thanks to you all.

    Ampers.

  4. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:40:59 +0000, Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >
    > What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    > culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    > into everything in full detail.

    What 'culture shock'? Linux is not so different as to be difficult. When
    we installed Linux on the public access computers at the local library,
    the patrons adjusted without problem. I suggest you boot a Linux Live CD
    and simply try it out.

    > Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >
    > Ampers

  5. Re: Absolute newbie

    On 2008-02-20, ray wrote:

    > What 'culture shock'? Linux is not so different as to be difficult. When
    > we installed Linux on the public access computers at the local library,
    > the patrons adjusted without problem. I suggest you boot a Linux Live CD
    > and simply try it out.

    That is fascinating! Can I ask which linux distro you used and what
    purpose the public access computers have in the library? And country?

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  6. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:59:28 +0000
    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > I might add that although I have been in micro computers since 1977,
    > I am 68 so am not as quick or as bright as I used to be.
    >
    > Ampers

    Think like a kid. Old people are afraid to touch the keyboard since
    something might happen, kids touch the keyboard in a hope that
    something will happen.

    Cheers

    --
    :-)

  7. Re: Absolute newbie

    "ray" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:40:59 +0000, Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>
    >> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >> into everything in full detail.

    > What 'culture shock'?

    The only culture shock is the idiot zealots that hang around waiting for the
    unwary user to ask a question.
    Ignore them and it will be fine.

  8. Re: Absolute newbie

    In article , Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >
    >What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >into everything in full detail.
    >
    >Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?

    In my experience, there isn't any culture shock. There were a few times when
    I thought ... 'how do I do that with this system ?' ... but mostly it was
    more 'that's a much better way to do it !" once I found out.

    Try it ... you'll probably love it.

  9. Re: Absolute newbie

    In article <47bc798b$0$14354$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote:
    >Ampers Taylor schreef:
    >> Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >>> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>>
    >>> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >>> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >>> into everything in full detail.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >>>
    >>> Ampers

    >> I might add that although I have been in micro computers since 1977, I
    >> am 68 so am not as quick or as bright as I used to be.
    >>

    >But you started out without Microsoft indoctrination
    >
    >The secret to running -any- type of new OS or application is to not be
    >afraid of it or intimidated by it.
    >You learned from the ground up you can't break a computer just by
    >hitting the wrong key.

    And that was the best advice I ever got on computers years ago.
    Thanks for the reminder.

    >> Ampers

  10. Re: Absolute newbie

    Noel Foster writes:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, there is. Highlight one of Frank's messages and then go to
    >> Message/Create Filter from Message. Unfortunately, Frank
    >> desperately needs attention and continually changes his email
    >> address to escape filters. I have six for him already.

    > Better still, use a news server that filters boodly roadrunner. Of
    > course you then have to put up with the idiots who can resist
    > answering him.

    Better still use knews where you can kill by [sub]thread based on
    from, subject, etc. :-)

  11. Re: Absolute newbie

    andrew schreef:
    > On 2008-02-20, ray wrote:
    >
    >> What 'culture shock'? Linux is not so different as to be difficult. When
    >> we installed Linux on the public access computers at the local library,
    >> the patrons adjusted without problem. I suggest you boot a Linux Live CD
    >> and simply try it out.

    > That is fascinating! Can I ask which linux distro you used and what
    > purpose the public access computers have in the library? And country?

    Ray is probably living in the USofA where some volunteer effort in the
    local library is quite common.

    Library machines are generally mainly used for browsing the net and
    writing papers.

    I can add I put Linux (Kubuntu) on the new computer I gave to my
    girlfriend and she hardly sees the difference except that it just works
    more reliable than the Windows machines at work.

    > Andrew

  12. Re: Absolute newbie

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:35:30 +1100, andrew wrote:

    > On 2008-02-20, ray wrote:
    >
    >> What 'culture shock'? Linux is not so different as to be difficult.
    >> When we installed Linux on the public access computers at the local
    >> library, the patrons adjusted without problem. I suggest you boot a
    >> Linux Live CD and simply try it out.

    > That is fascinating! Can I ask which linux distro you used and what
    > purpose the public access computers have in the library? And country?
    >
    > Andrew

    Sure - when we started, we had four computers set up with Mandrake and
    one with MS/xp. Later added some more and converted to Ubuntu later.
    Current configuration: five Ubuntu, four RHEL (this is one four seat
    Userful station - see userful.ca) - there is also one MS/xp and one MS/
    vista.

    The purpose of public access computers in a library is to provide
    internet access for the patrons. There are quite a variety of needs: some
    folks still don't have one at home, or they might be having theirs fixed
    - we also have quite a contingent of mormon 'missionaries' who come in to
    communicate with folks back home. - And this is in the U.S - in Chubbuck,
    ID, to be precise.

    I admin the Linux stations on a volunteer basis, having retired from a
    computer career a few years ago.

  13. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird
    > and there doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(

    Yes there is. Mark it "sender" "contains" "Frank" (in the
    appropriate boxes). Set the action to "mark read".

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > I might add that although I have been in micro computers since
    > 1977, I am 68 so am not as quick or as bright as I used to be.

    Pah. You're just a child. :-)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  15. Re: Absolute newbie

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    > ... snip ...
    >
    >>Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird
    >>and there doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(

    > Yes there is. Mark it "sender" "contains" "Frank" (in the
    > appropriate boxes). Set the action to "mark read".

    hehehe...you can kill the messenger but not the message.
    Frank

  16. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >
    > What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    > culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    > into everything in full detail.
    >
    > Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >
    > Ampers

    There's an online book "rute" which maybe helpful to you:
    http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

    When I started learning linux, about 11 years ago, I got "Linux: The Complete
    Reference" book, which I found useful.
    http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Complete.../dp/007222505X

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008.1,

  17. Re: Absolute newbie

    Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Thank you all very much for the information. I have bookmarked the
    > websites and will be ordering the book from Amazon in a few days (I need
    > something else so I will order the book at the same time).
    >
    > I live in London and seem to remember there is a linux group that meet
    > in pubs on a Saturday. I'll look them up and join as well.

    There are several LUGs (Linux User Groups) in London.
    http://lug.org.uk/lugs/london

    Among which are:-
    Luton & St Albans
    www.lust.lug.co.uk

    Watford
    http://watford.lug.org.co.uk

    Silicon Corridor
    www.sclug.co.uk

    London (Greater)
    http://gllug.co.uk

    London (Lonix)
    www.lonix.co.uk

    Brixton
    http://blug.co.uk

    List of groups in the south-east UK:
    http://lug.org.uk/lugs/south-east

    There are also UK mailing lists, among which is:

    HTH :-)

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
    Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.
    -- On 64bit systems --

  18. Re: Absolute newbie

    Frank wrote:

    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> ... snip ...
    >>
    >>>Saw you had put Frank in your killfile. Alas I use Thunderbird
    >>>and there doesn't seem to be a provision to do that. :-(

    >> Yes there is. Mark it "sender" "contains" "Frank" (in the
    >> appropriate boxes). Set the action to "mark read".
    >>

    > hehehe...you can kill the messenger but not the message.
    > Frank

    The messenger is already brain dead, so there isn't much left to kill.
    That's you, Mr. Usenet Village Idiot.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  19. Re: Absolute newbie

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone recommend a book on Linux?
    >>
    >> What I would like is a chatty type book that prepares people for the
    >> culture shock of moving away from Windows to Linux. Rather that going
    >> into everything in full detail.
    >>
    >> Perhaps a weblink to a website which might actually do this as well?
    >>
    >> Ampers

    > There's an online book "rute" which maybe helpful to you:
    > http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
    >
    > When I started learning linux, about 11 years ago, I got "Linux: The Complete
    > Reference" book, which I found useful.
    > http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Complete.../dp/007222505X

    Thanks, I have just ordered two books including that from Amazon...

    1 Linux: The Complete Reference, Sixth Edition (The Complete Reference)
    Richard Petersen; Paperback; 19.13

    2 The Official Ubuntu Book
    Benjamin Mako Hill; Paperback; 16.49

  20. Re: Absolute newbie

    NoStop wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >

    >>CBFalconer wrote:
    >>

    >>>Ampers Taylor wrote:
    >>>
    >>>... snip ...

    >>>Yes there is. Mark it "sender" "contains" "Frank" (in the
    >>>appropriate boxes). Set the action to "mark read".
    >>>

    >>hehehe...you can kill the messenger but not the message.
    >>Frank

    > The messenger is already brain dead, so there isn't much left to kill.
    > That's you, Mr. Usenet Village Idiot.
    >
    > Cheers.

    You stupid POS lying linux troll...I thought you kill filled me...LOL!
    You are numb, dumb and broke.
    Paybacks such a bitch isn't it you lowlife loser asshole...hahaha!
    Frank