Need help with error message - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Need help with error message - Ubuntu ; I am fairly new with Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux. I have my Sony Laptop set up with a dual boot with M$ XP. I started getting the following error message about 5 days ago when I boot up and at ...

  1. Need help with error message

    I am fairly new with Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux. I have my Sony Laptop set up
    with a dual boot with M$ XP. I started getting the following error
    message about 5 days ago when I boot up and at the point I enter my
    password a popup message appears with the following message. This error
    message does not appear to be causing me any trouble. It allows me to go
    past it and do what I want to do.

    "Users's $Home/.dnrd file us being ignored. This prevents the default
    session and language from being saved. File should be owned by User and
    have 644 permissions. User's $Home directory must be owned by user and
    not writable by other users."

    Of course I didn't get this message until the next time I booted up. I
    don't remember installing any files. I do remember a 7.10 update about
    that time, but don't believe it could be that or it would have effected
    more than just me and a fix would most likely been released. I had been
    downloading some files from the newsgroups via PAN to a folder on my
    system.

    I was unable to locate anything re: this error message using Google or
    Forums. Is this something to worry about?

    Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

  2. Re: Need help with error message

    Al Wilkins wrote:
    > I am fairly new with Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux.

    welcome to your journey

    > "Users's $Home/.dnrd file us being ignored. This prevents the default
    > session and language from being saved. File should be owned by User and
    > have 644 permissions. User's $Home directory must be owned by user and
    > not writable by other users."

    I wouldn't consider it a warning, but rather an information. I don't
    know which daemon or program has a file like that. There is software
    called DNRD but as far as I know it saves it's configuration somewhere
    else. (And doesn't need any session or language files saved).

    Maybe you can post the content of that file? Just type (case sensitive)
    in a terminal of your choice:

    cd [Enter]
    cat $HOME/.dnrd [Enter]

    One thing, that would probably solve the issue would be to do what the
    "info" tells us to do, i.e. fix the ownership and permission. But let's
    have a look at the file first just to make sure...

    cheers,
    Alexander Ladda

  3. Re: Need help with error message

    Al Wilkins illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I am fairly new with Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux. I have my Sony Laptop set up
    > with a dual boot with M$ XP. I started getting the following error
    > message about 5 days ago when I boot up and at the point I enter my
    > password a popup message appears with the following message. This error
    > message does not appear to be causing me any trouble. It allows me to go
    > past it and do what I want to do.
    >
    > "Users's $Home/.dnrd file us being ignored. This prevents the default
    > session and language from being saved. File should be owned by User and
    > have 644 permissions. User's $Home directory must be owned by user and
    > not writable by other users."
    >
    > Of course I didn't get this message until the next time I booted up. I
    > don't remember installing any files. I do remember a 7.10 update about
    > that time, but don't believe it could be that or it would have effected
    > more than just me and a fix would most likely been released. I had been
    > downloading some files from the newsgroups via PAN to a folder on my
    > system.
    >
    > I was unable to locate anything re: this error message using Google or
    > Forums. Is this something to worry about?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

    It's a permissions issue on your ~/home/.dmrc file.

    Occasionally, root can take ownership of this file leading to the
    start up message you see.

    You'll need to open a terminal window (Applications -> Accesories ->
    Terminal)
    At the prompt type the following. Replace the word {USER} with your
    username. So for instance, mine would be /home/moog/.dmrc

    $ sudo chmod 644 /home/{USER}/.dmrc
    ## Resets the .dmrc file to 644

    $ sudo chown {USER} /home/{USER}/.dmrc
    ## This gives {USER} group ownership

    $ sudo chmod -R 700 /home/{USER}
    ## This modifies the file to be read and written by only you. You
    could use 755 which means others can read if you wish

    $ sudo chown {USER} /home/{USER}
    ## This gives {USER} group full ownership

    Let us know how you get on.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  4. Re: Need help with error message

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:55:14 +0100, Alexander Ladda wrote:

    > Al Wilkins wrote:
    >> I am fairly new with Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux.

    > welcome to your journey
    >
    >> "Users's $Home/.dnrd file us being ignored. This prevents the default
    >> session and language from being saved. File should be owned by User
    >> and have 644 permissions. User's $Home directory must be owned by user
    >> and not writable by other users."

    > I wouldn't consider it a warning, but rather an information. I don't
    > know which daemon or program has a file like that. There is software
    > called DNRD but as far as I know it saves it's configuration somewhere
    > else. (And doesn't need any session or language files saved).
    >
    > Maybe you can post the content of that file? Just type (case sensitive)
    > in a terminal of your choice:
    >
    > cd [Enter]
    > cat $HOME/.dnrd [Enter]
    >
    > One thing, that would probably solve the issue would be to do what the
    > "info" tells us to do, i.e. fix the ownership and permission. But let's
    > have a look at the file first just to make sure...
    >
    > cheers,
    > Alexander Ladda

    I tried as you suggested and this is the response I got:

    al@als-laptop:~$ cd
    al@als-laptop:~$ cat $HOME/.dnrd
    cat: /home/al/.dnrd: No such file or directory
    al@als-laptop:~$

    Apparently the file has been removed. I followed your suggestion prior
    the the one Moog gave me as I knew that would change it.

    Thanks for your help.
    Al

  5. Re: Need help with error message

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:52:07 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Al Wilkins illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I am fairly new with Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux. I have my Sony Laptop set
    >> up with a dual boot with M$ XP. I started getting the following error
    >> message about 5 days ago when I boot up and at the point I enter my
    >> password a popup message appears with the following message. This
    >> error message does not appear to be causing me any trouble. It allows
    >> me to go past it and do what I want to do.
    >>
    >> "Users's $Home/.dnrd file us being ignored. This prevents the default
    >> session and language from being saved. File should be owned by User
    >> and have 644 permissions. User's $Home directory must be owned by user
    >> and not writable by other users."
    >>
    >> Of course I didn't get this message until the next time I booted up. I
    >> don't remember installing any files. I do remember a 7.10 update about
    >> that time, but don't believe it could be that or it would have effected
    >> more than just me and a fix would most likely been released. I had
    >> been downloading some files from the newsgroups via PAN to a folder on
    >> my system.
    >>
    >> I was unable to locate anything re: this error message using Google or
    >> Forums. Is this something to worry about?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

    > It's a permissions issue on your ~/home/.dmrc file.
    >
    > Occasionally, root can take ownership of this file leading to the start
    > up message you see.
    >
    > You'll need to open a terminal window (Applications -> Accesories ->
    > Terminal)
    > At the prompt type the following. Replace the word {USER} with your
    > username. So for instance, mine would be /home/moog/.dmrc
    >
    > $ sudo chmod 644 /home/{USER}/.dmrc
    > ## Resets the .dmrc file to 644
    >
    > $ sudo chown {USER} /home/{USER}/.dmrc ## This gives {USER} group
    > ownership
    >
    > $ sudo chmod -R 700 /home/{USER}
    > ## This modifies the file to be read and written by only you. You could
    > use 755 which means others can read if you wish
    >
    > $ sudo chown {USER} /home/{USER}
    > ## This gives {USER} group full ownership
    >
    > Let us know how you get on.

    Moog

    Again you bail me out. Thanks for your help. I wish I could tell you
    which one got rid of the error message. I tried each one and rebooted
    and nothing happened. Then at the end I did a complete shut down and
    then when I rebooted the error message was gone. Again thank you for
    your help.

    Al Wilkins

  6. Re: Need help with error message

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:52:07 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Al Wilkins illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I am fairly new with Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux. I have my Sony Laptop set
    >> up with a dual boot with M$ XP. I started getting the following error
    >> message about 5 days ago when I boot up and at the point I enter my
    >> password a popup message appears with the following message. This
    >> error message does not appear to be causing me any trouble. It allows
    >> me to go past it and do what I want to do.
    >>
    >> "Users's $Home/.dnrd file us being ignored. This prevents the default
    >> session and language from being saved. File should be owned by User
    >> and have 644 permissions. User's $Home directory must be owned by user
    >> and not writable by other users."
    >>
    >> Of course I didn't get this message until the next time I booted up. I
    >> don't remember installing any files. I do remember a 7.10 update about
    >> that time, but don't believe it could be that or it would have effected
    >> more than just me and a fix would most likely been released. I had
    >> been downloading some files from the newsgroups via PAN to a folder on
    >> my system.
    >>
    >> I was unable to locate anything re: this error message using Google or
    >> Forums. Is this something to worry about?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

    > It's a permissions issue on your ~/home/.dmrc file.
    >
    > Occasionally, root can take ownership of this file leading to the start
    > up message you see.
    >
    > You'll need to open a terminal window (Applications -> Accesories ->
    > Terminal)
    > At the prompt type the following. Replace the word {USER} with your
    > username. So for instance, mine would be /home/moog/.dmrc
    >
    > $ sudo chmod 644 /home/{USER}/.dmrc
    > ## Resets the .dmrc file to 644
    >
    > $ sudo chown {USER} /home/{USER}/.dmrc ## This gives {USER} group
    > ownership
    >
    > $ sudo chmod -R 700 /home/{USER}
    > ## This modifies the file to be read and written by only you. You could
    > use 755 which means others can read if you wish
    >
    > $ sudo chown {USER} /home/{USER}
    > ## This gives {USER} group full ownership
    >
    > Let us know how you get on.

    Moog

    Again you bail me out. Thanks for your help. I wish I could tell you
    which one got rid of the error message. I tried each one and rebooted
    and nothing happened. Then at the end I did a complete shut down and
    then when I rebooted the error message was gone. Again thank you for
    your help.

    Al Wilkins

  7. Re: Need help with error message

    Al Wilkins wrote:

    > Again you bail me out. Thanks for your help. I wish I could tell you
    > which one got rid of the error message. I tried each one and rebooted
    > and nothing happened. Then at the end I did a complete shut down and
    > then when I rebooted the error message was gone. Again thank you for
    > your help.

    Just a little tip, if it was a permissions thing you really did not need
    to reboot. That is a "Windows" thing. Depending on the app changing the
    permissions and restating the app should have done it, or at the most
    log out and log back in.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  8. Re: Need help with error message

    Al Wilkins illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog
    >
    > Again you bail me out. Thanks for your help. I wish I could tell you
    > which one got rid of the error message. I tried each one and rebooted
    > and nothing happened. Then at the end I did a complete shut down and
    > then when I rebooted the error message was gone. Again thank you for
    > your help.
    >
    > Al Wilkins

    Al. It's a combination of all of them. All we were doing is making
    usre your .dmrc had the right permissions and just ensuring that you
    actually had access to your own files in your /home folder.

    Glad to have helped though. Stick with Ubuntu. It's a mighty fine
    thing.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"