Printing hangs with some pdf files - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Printing hangs with some pdf files - Ubuntu ; I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades. Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I installed acroread 8. ...

  1. Printing hangs with some pdf files

    I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.

    Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    those which will not.

    I have googled with little success.

    It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to fix
    it.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >
    > Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    > have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    > installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    > those which will not.
    >
    > I have googled with little success.
    >
    > It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to fix
    > it.

    Look in /var/log/cups/error_log for what's going wrong. Maybe switch
    on debug mode in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

    Florian

  3. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:57:34 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >>
    >> Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    >> have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    >> installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    >> those which will not.
    >>
    >> I have googled with little success.
    >>
    >> It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to
    >> fix it.

    > Look in /var/log/cups/error_log for what's going wrong. Maybe switch on
    > debug mode in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    >

    > Florian

    the file /var/log/cuups/error_log is empty

    also looked in cupsd.conf and can't find way to switch on debug mode.
    Not familiar with this command.

  4. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:57:34 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >>
    >> Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    >> have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    >> installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    >> those which will not.
    >>
    >> I have googled with little success.
    >>
    >> It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to
    >> fix it.

    > Look in /var/log/cups/error_log for what's going wrong. Maybe switch on
    > debug mode in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    >

    > Florian

    In /var/log/user.log I found the following but haven't any idea what is
    meant:

    The programme 'cupsd' used the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
    Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi
    For more information see http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?
    s=libdns_sd&e=cupsd

  5. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Tuesday 19 Feb 2008 16:19 franz fripplfrappl licked a pencil and jotted:

    > I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >
    > Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    > have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    > installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    > those which will not.
    >
    > I have googled with little success.
    >
    > It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to fix
    > it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Not protected pdfs are they? Been having a spate of them sent to users at
    work with the printing option disabled this last month or so.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  6. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    In <2223750.zIitS0XDnp@baldylocks> Baldylocks-Ubuntu:

    [Snip...]

    > Not protected pdfs are they? Been having a spate of them sent to users

    Apologies for coming late to the thread, but it's not clear to me if the
    PDFs are printable from FOSS readers (like kpdf/xpdf).

    IIRC I had similar problems years ago with Acroread and kpdf printed the
    "protected" material fine.

    BTW, I'm wary of Adobe's DRM/spyware history; I won't install Adobe now:

    http://lwn.net/Articles/129729/

    (I'll make do with 2400 baud BBS and dot matrix printers before that BS)

  7. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Thursday 21 Feb 2008 20:08 Harold Stevens licked a pencil and jotted:

    snip

    > BTW, I'm wary of Adobe's DRM/spyware history; I won't install Adobe now:
    >
    > http://lwn.net/Articles/129729/
    >
    > (I'll make do with 2400 baud BBS and dot matrix printers before that BS)

    Hmm, interesting. Not heard that one before. Thanks for posting that.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  8. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    In <1427069.N1z2Jmuy2D@baldylocks> Baldylocks-Ubuntu:

    [Snip...]

    > Hmm, interesting. Not heard that one before. Thanks for posting that.

    Also, FWIW, in the roughly 2+ years since that incident, I do not recall
    Adobe make any official announcements about it, or fixing it.

    If Adobe or any other DRM/spyware cat burglar (like Sony) thinks I don't
    have a choice about PRIVILEGE (not "rights") on MY PROPERTY, they've got
    another thunk coming.

  9. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:19:11 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >
    > Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    > have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    > installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    > those which will not.
    >
    > I have googled with little success.
    >
    > It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to fix
    > it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I took one poster's suggestion and installed kpdf. Everything prints
    fine now. I wonder what was happening with other pdf viewers.

  10. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 02:55:52 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:19:11 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >>
    >> Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    >> have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    >> installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    >> those which will not.
    >>
    >> I have googled with little success.
    >>
    >> It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to fix
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > I took one poster's suggestion and installed kpdf. Everything prints
    > fine now. I wonder what was happening with other pdf viewers.

    You could probably also use lp to print your pdfs

    lp file.pdf

  11. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    In franz fripplfrappl:

    [Snip...]

    > I took one poster's suggestion and installed kpdf. Everything prints
    > fine now. I wonder what was happening with other pdf viewers.

    I was one of those suggesting kpdf. As for other pdf viewers, I don't know
    but possibly they mimic Abode's obnoxious DRM/spyware I mentioned:

    http://lwn.net/Articles/129729/

    And yes, that means I don't install Flash, either. So sue me, Adobe.

    I'll say it again: M$, Adobe, Sony, etc. will NOT trespass knowingly on my
    property. Some of these "innovators" are greedy sociopathic bullies.

    JMO; HTH; YMMV...

  12. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:23:09 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In franz fripplfrappl:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> I took one poster's suggestion and installed kpdf. Everything prints
    >> fine now. I wonder what was happening with other pdf viewers.

    > I was one of those suggesting kpdf. As for other pdf viewers, I don't
    > know but possibly they mimic Abode's obnoxious DRM/spyware I mentioned:
    >
    > http://lwn.net/Articles/129729/
    >
    > And yes, that means I don't install Flash, either. So sue me, Adobe.
    >
    > I'll say it again: M$, Adobe, Sony, etc. will NOT trespass knowingly on
    > my property. Some of these "innovators" are greedy sociopathic bullies.
    >
    > JMO; HTH; YMMV...

    Sage advice. Thank you.

  13. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    Harold Stevens writes:

    > In franz fripplfrappl:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> I took one poster's suggestion and installed kpdf. Everything prints
    >> fine now. I wonder what was happening with other pdf viewers.

    > I was one of those suggesting kpdf. As for other pdf viewers, I don't know
    > but possibly they mimic Abode's obnoxious DRM/spyware I mentioned:
    >
    > http://lwn.net/Articles/129729/
    >
    > And yes, that means I don't install Flash, either. So sue me, Adobe.
    >
    > I'll say it again: M$, Adobe, Sony, etc. will NOT trespass knowingly on my
    > property. Some of these "innovators" are greedy sociopathic bullies.
    >
    > JMO; HTH; YMMV...

    LOL. another fine Ubuntu article from Harold "Tin Foil Hat" Stevens.

  14. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:23:09 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In franz fripplfrappl:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> I took one poster's suggestion and installed kpdf. Everything prints
    >> fine now. I wonder what was happening with other pdf viewers.

    > I was one of those suggesting kpdf. As for other pdf viewers, I don't know
    > but possibly they mimic Abode's obnoxious DRM/spyware I mentioned:
    >
    > http://lwn.net/Articles/129729/
    >
    > And yes, that means I don't install Flash, either. So sue me, Adobe.
    >
    > I'll say it again: M$, Adobe, Sony, etc. will NOT trespass knowingly on my
    > property. Some of these "innovators" are greedy sociopathic bullies.
    >
    > JMO; HTH; YMMV...

    WRT Adobe's PDF viewer sending info to Remote Approach, I had not heard of
    this before. I notice the article is from 2005. Is the info still
    current? I have been unable to get an IP address for
    'www.remoteapproach.com', but not because the name is not known, it's just
    that the nameserver (ns3.webecs.com) close to remoteapproach.com does not
    respond do my DNS query. I'd like to know their IP address, so I can
    look at my Smoothwall logs to see if there has been any traffic to/from my
    network.

    --
    MarkA
    (My OTHER sig line is clever)

  15. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    In MarkA:

    [Snip...]

    > I notice the article is from 2005. Is the info still current?

    I honestly don't know; what I do know is I don't recall Adobe ever making
    any *OFFICIAL* statements about it, or taking any corrective actions.

    (That's my understanding; *POLITE* corrections/info welcome)

    I can't speak for others, but when somebody ignores their moronic minions
    pawing through my privacy, they're all shown the door immediately.

    > logs to see if there has been any traffic to/from my network

    Sorry I can't help you here, because it interests me, too.

    (Perhaps somebody else will pitch in with some recent relevant info)

  16. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:57:34 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >>>
    >>> Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    >>> have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    >>> installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    >>> those which will not.
    >>>
    >>> I have googled with little success.
    >>>
    >>> It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to
    >>> fix it.

    >> Look in /var/log/cups/error_log for what's going wrong. Maybe switch on
    >> debug mode in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    >>

    >> Florian

    > the file /var/log/cuups/error_log is empty
    >
    > also looked in cupsd.conf and can't find way to switch on debug mode.

    LogLevel debug

    Florian

  17. Re: Printing hangs with some pdf files

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:57:34 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have latest Ubuntu with all current upgrades.
    >>>
    >>> Every once in a while, I run into a pdf file which will not print. I
    >>> have tried various pdf readers and run into the same issue. Lately I
    >>> installed acroread 8. Most pdf prints fine, but now I am running into
    >>> those which will not.
    >>>
    >>> I have googled with little success.
    >>>
    >>> It seems the same thing happened several years ago and I was able to
    >>> fix it.

    >> Look in /var/log/cups/error_log for what's going wrong. Maybe switch on
    >> debug mode in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    >>

    >> Florian

    > In /var/log/user.log I found the following but haven't any idea what is
    > meant:
    >
    > The programme 'cupsd' used the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
    > Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi
    > For more information see http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?
    > s=libdns_sd&e=cupsd

    I guess CUPS uses some deprecated functions of the Avahi API.

    Most likely your problem caused by an error when converting your
    printer job to the printer's file format.

    Florian