How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive - Ubuntu ; Just added a nice little 1TB drive to my system, it's attached to my XP box. If I double click on an MP3 located there, it opens up in totem movie player, which is fine if I only want to ...

  1. How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    Just added a nice little 1TB drive to my system, it's attached to my XP box. If I double click on an MP3 located there, it opens up in totem movie player, which is fine if I only want to listen to one file. But normally I use XMMS to listen to mp3s and if I change the "open with" associated with the mp3, XMMS opens but won't play. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I don't mind using WMP on XP to listen to my tunes, but I thought by adding the 1TB drive, I'd be able to amalgomate all my stuff together and use my smaller USB drives for simple things like backups.

    Cheers.

    --
    I write all my emails in Cobol
    http://improve-usenet.org

  2. Re: How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    Baba O'Reilly wrote:

    > Just added a nice little 1TB drive to my system, it's attached to my XP
    > box. If I double click on an MP3 located there, it opens up in totem
    > movie player, which is fine if I only want to listen to one file. But
    > normally I use XMMS to listen to mp3s and if I change the "open with"
    > associated with the mp3, XMMS opens but won't play. Can anyone tell me
    > how to fix this? I don't mind using WMP on XP to listen to my tunes, but
    > I thought by adding the 1TB drive, I'd be able to amalgomate all my stuff
    > together and use my smaller USB drives for simple things like backups.
    >
    > Cheers.

    I don't know why xmms won't follow the path to a smb share? Do you actually
    mount that Windows share to your Linux filesystem and then try to play the
    MP3s from that mount point?

    As an alternative and a real nice one, you can look at something like
    Amarok, which is a great music player. You can build a collection of your
    music in Amarok from your Windows share. If you're going to have a large
    collection of music, use mysql as the database to hold your collection in
    Amarok. Amarok builds all its collection data from the ID3 tags within the
    MP3s, so you have to have those set up correctly if you want the full
    benefit of a nicely organized collection. As a side benefit, Amarok will
    also interact with an iPod and other MP3 players.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  3. Re: How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    On 2008-02-19, NoStop wrote:
    > Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    >> Just added a nice little 1TB drive to my system, it's attached to my XP
    >> box. If I double click on an MP3 located there, it opens up in totem
    >> movie player, which is fine if I only want to listen to one file. But
    >> normally I use XMMS to listen to mp3s and if I change the "open with"
    >> associated with the mp3, XMMS opens but won't play. Can anyone tell me
    >> how to fix this? I don't mind using WMP on XP to listen to my tunes, but
    >> I thought by adding the 1TB drive, I'd be able to amalgomate all my stuff
    >> together and use my smaller USB drives for simple things like backups.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > I don't know why xmms won't follow the path to a smb share? Do you actually
    > mount that Windows share to your Linux filesystem and then try to play the
    > MP3s from that mount point?
    >
    > As an alternative and a real nice one, you can look at something like
    > Amarok, which is a great music player. You can build a collection of your
    > music in Amarok from your Windows share. If you're going to have a large
    > collection of music, use mysql as the database to hold your collection in
    > Amarok. Amarok builds all its collection data from the ID3 tags within the
    > MP3s, so you have to have those set up correctly if you want the full
    > benefit of a nicely organized collection. As a side benefit, Amarok will
    > also interact with an iPod and other MP3 players.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Thanks, I'll give Amarok a shot. I figures out that if I drag and drop my mp3's
    into the Movie Player Play List I can build and save play lists, but it
    seems to be a bit overkill to have to use a movie player to play mp3s

    --
    I write all my emails in Cobol
    http://improve-usenet.org
    RLU #451587

  4. Re: How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    Baba O'Reilly wrote:

    > On 2008-02-19, NoStop wrote:
    >> Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just added a nice little 1TB drive to my system, it's attached to my XP
    >>> box. If I double click on an MP3 located there, it opens up in totem
    >>> movie player, which is fine if I only want to listen to one file. But
    >>> normally I use XMMS to listen to mp3s and if I change the "open with"
    >>> associated with the mp3, XMMS opens but won't play. Can anyone tell me
    >>> how to fix this? I don't mind using WMP on XP to listen to my tunes,
    >>> but I thought by adding the 1TB drive, I'd be able to amalgomate all my
    >>> stuff together and use my smaller USB drives for simple things like
    >>> backups.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> I don't know why xmms won't follow the path to a smb share? Do you
    >> actually mount that Windows share to your Linux filesystem and then try
    >> to play the MP3s from that mount point?
    >>
    >> As an alternative and a real nice one, you can look at something like
    >> Amarok, which is a great music player. You can build a collection of your
    >> music in Amarok from your Windows share. If you're going to have a large
    >> collection of music, use mysql as the database to hold your collection in
    >> Amarok. Amarok builds all its collection data from the ID3 tags within
    >> the MP3s, so you have to have those set up correctly if you want the full
    >> benefit of a nicely organized collection. As a side benefit, Amarok will
    >> also interact with an iPod and other MP3 players.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Thanks, I'll give Amarok a shot. I figures out that if I drag and drop my
    > mp3's into the Movie Player Play List I can build and save play lists, but
    > it seems to be a bit overkill to have to use a movie player to play mp3s

    I don´t use xmms and it is no longer supported, but did you try my
    suggestion to setup a mount point for your smb share? Nautilus uses
    Gnome-vfs which is an abstract layer to a virtual file system if you
    connect directly with Nautilus to a share. Applications need to be written
    to that api and I'm pretty sure xmms is not. The problem with trying to use
    something like xmms to get to a share that Nautilus recognizes is that it
    won't know how to handle the authentication. If however, you don't rely on
    this abstract layer, but actually mount the share to your filesystem
    (either manually using "mount" or in your fstab so that it gets mounted
    when you bootup Ubuntu), I'd think that xmms should be able to access those
    files through the mount point.

    Others might be able to direct you to a MP3 player that will get what you
    want. But for me, Amarok is just so good, that I haven't tried anything
    else. To me, Amarok is one of those Linux killer-apps. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your
    BS any longer.

  5. Re: How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    On 2008-02-19, NoStop wrote:
    > Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    >> Just added a nice little 1TB drive to my system, it's attached to my XP
    >> box. If I double click on an MP3 located there, it opens up in totem
    >> movie player, which is fine if I only want to listen to one file. But
    >> normally I use XMMS to listen to mp3s and if I change the "open with"
    >> associated with the mp3, XMMS opens but won't play. Can anyone tell me
    >> how to fix this? I don't mind using WMP on XP to listen to my tunes, but
    >> I thought by adding the 1TB drive, I'd be able to amalgomate all my stuff
    >> together and use my smaller USB drives for simple things like backups.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > I don't know why xmms won't follow the path to a smb share? Do you actually
    > mount that Windows share to your Linux filesystem and then try to play the
    > MP3s from that mount point?
    >
    > As an alternative and a real nice one, you can look at something like
    > Amarok, which is a great music player. You can build a collection of your
    > music in Amarok from your Windows share. If you're going to have a large
    > collection of music, use mysql as the database to hold your collection in
    > Amarok. Amarok builds all its collection data from the ID3 tags within the
    > MP3s, so you have to have those set up correctly if you want the full
    > benefit of a nicely organized collection. As a side benefit, Amarok will
    > also interact with an iPod and other MP3 players.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Hi,

    I tried Amarok...it works perfectly.... thanks for your help.

    --
    I write all my emails in Cobol
    http://improve-usenet.org
    RLU #451587

  6. Re: How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    NoStop wrote:
    > Baba O'Reilly wrote:

    >>> I don't know why xmms won't follow the path to a smb share? Do you
    >>> actually mount that Windows share to your Linux filesystem and then try
    >>> to play the MP3s from that mount point?
    >>>
    >>> As an alternative and a real nice one, you can look at something like
    >>> Amarok, which is a great music player. You can build a collection of your
    >>> music in Amarok from your Windows share. If you're going to have a large
    >>> collection of music, use mysql as the database to hold your collection in
    >>> Amarok. Amarok builds all its collection data from the ID3 tags within
    >>> the MP3s, so you have to have those set up correctly if you want the full
    >>> benefit of a nicely organized collection. As a side benefit, Amarok will
    >>> also interact with an iPod and other MP3 players.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, I'll give Amarok a shot. I figures out that if I drag and drop my
    >> mp3's into the Movie Player Play List I can build and save play lists, but
    >> it seems to be a bit overkill to have to use a movie player to play mp3s
    >>

    > I don´t use xmms and it is no longer supported, but did you try my
    > suggestion to setup a mount point for your smb share? Nautilus uses
    > Gnome-vfs which is an abstract layer to a virtual file system if you
    > connect directly with Nautilus to a share. Applications need to be written
    > to that api and I'm pretty sure xmms is not. The problem with trying to use
    > something like xmms to get to a share that Nautilus recognizes is that it
    > won't know how to handle the authentication. If however, you don't rely on
    > this abstract layer, but actually mount the share to your filesystem
    > (either manually using "mount" or in your fstab so that it gets mounted
    > when you bootup Ubuntu), I'd think that xmms should be able to access those
    > files through the mount point.
    >
    > Others might be able to direct you to a MP3 player that will get what you
    > want. But for me, Amarok is just so good, that I haven't tried anything
    > else. To me, Amarok is one of those Linux killer-apps. :-)
    >

    > Cheers.

    I agree. I'm listening to David Bowie's Heathen album right now using
    Amarok.

    Alias

  7. Re: How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    On 2008-02-19, Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    > Thanks, I'll give Amarok a shot. I figures out that if I drag and drop my mp3's
    > into the Movie Player Play List I can build and save play lists, but it
    > seems to be a bit overkill to have to use a movie player to play mp3s

    If you mount the share, it'll work with any of your software. Some
    software will not work on non-local drives without them being mounted.
    Mounting the share will give you a local path to it, like /mnt/music.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  8. Re: How to play mp3 files located on a samba drive

    On Tuesday 19 Feb 2008 15:03 Baba O'Reilly licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Just added a nice little 1TB drive to my system, it's attached to my XP
    > box. If I double click on an MP3 located there, it opens up in totem
    > movie player, which is fine if I only want to listen to one file. But
    > normally I use XMMS to listen to mp3s and if I change the "open with"
    > associated with the mp3, XMMS opens but won't play. Can anyone tell me
    > how to fix this? I don't mind using WMP on XP to listen to my tunes, but
    > I thought by adding the 1TB drive, I'd be able to amalgomate all my stuff
    > together and use my smaller USB drives for simple things like backups.
    >
    > Cheers.

    As others have said, just mount it. I mount all my media shares as a matter
    of course and never have any trouble with any type of media in any
    software.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

+ Reply to Thread