Random Lock-ups - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Random Lock-ups - Ubuntu ; I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4 added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu ...

  1. Random Lock-ups

    I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard
    and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    KDE.
    Hardware:
    MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

  2. Re: Random Lock-ups

    null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de wrote:

    > I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    > added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    > drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    > Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    > random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    > are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard
    > and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    > switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    > 75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    > KDE.
    > Hardware:
    > MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    > Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    > When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    > not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    > Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    > helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

    Ubuntu 7.10 is too new

  3. Re: Random Lock-ups

    null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de wrote:

    > I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    > added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    > drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    > Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    > random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    > are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard
    > and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    > switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    > 75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    > KDE.
    > Hardware:
    > MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    > Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    > When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    > not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    > Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    > helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

    Well... it would be just easier if you installed grub in the first hard
    drive. I tried your method some time ago, with the same results, and
    installing GRUB finished my problems. Remember to have your system updated
    as well.
    --
    "¿Por qué la gente que no admite consejos siempre intenta darlos?" - Hitch

  4. Re: Random Lock-ups

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:07:48 -0500, Takmadeus
    wrote:

    >null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    >> added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    >> drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    >> Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    >> random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    >> are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard
    >> and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    >> switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    >> 75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    >> KDE.
    >> Hardware:
    >> MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    >> Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    >> When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    >> not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    >> Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    >> helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

    >Well... it would be just easier if you installed grub in the first hard
    >drive. I tried your method some time ago, with the same results, and
    >installing GRUB finished my problems. Remember to have your system updated
    >as well.

    Don't really want to install anything on the Windoze drive, but just
    disconnecting it should solve the problem if what you say is true.
    The side cover is always off and they're SATA drives, so it's real
    easy to do.

  5. Re: Random Lock-ups

    "null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de" wrote:

    > I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    > added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    > drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    > Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    > random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    > are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard

    That's a kernel panic, i.e. an error the kernel couldn't recover from.
    Usually it's caused by a hardware problem or a kernel bug.

    How frequent does the lockup occur? Any patterns?
    Do you use any 3D graphics?

    > and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    > switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    > 75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    > KDE.
    > Hardware:
    > MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    > Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    > When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    > not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    >
    > Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    > helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

    There is /var/log/messages but most likely it doesn't contain anything
    about the error as the kernel has halted before anything could be
    written there.

    Florian

  6. Re: Random Lock-ups

    wrote:

    >null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    >> added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    >> drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    >> Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    >> random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    >> are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard
    >> and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    >> switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    >> 75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    >> KDE.
    >> Hardware:
    >> MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    >> Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    >> When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    >> not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    >> Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    >> helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

    >Well... it would be just easier if you installed grub in the first hard
    >drive. I tried your method some time ago, with the same results, and
    >installing GRUB finished my problems. Remember to have your system updated
    >as well.

    I tried your suggestion by disconnecting the Windoze drive and just
    booting with the kubuntu drive and it locked up again (heavy sigh)
    Nice try.

  7. Re: Random Lock-ups

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 05:27:29 +0100, Florian Diesch
    wrote:

    >"null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    >> added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    >> drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    >> Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    >> random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    >> are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard

    >That's a kernel panic, i.e. an error the kernel couldn't recover from.
    >Usually it's caused by a hardware problem or a kernel bug.
    >
    >How frequent does the lockup occur? Any patterns?
    >Do you use any 3D graphics?

    It usually takes a few hours; no patterns that I can see.
    Does compiz count as a 3D graphic

    >> and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    >> switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    >> 75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    >> KDE.
    >> Hardware:
    >> MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    >> Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    >> When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    >> not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    >> helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

    >There is /var/log/messages but most likely it doesn't contain anything
    >about the error as the kernel has halted before anything could be
    >written there.

    Thanks for responding

    > Florian

  8. Re: Random Lock-ups

    null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de schreef:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 05:27:29 +0100, Florian Diesch
    > wrote:

    >> Do you use any 3D graphics?

    > It usually takes a few hours; no patterns that I can see.
    > Does compiz count as a 3D graphic

    You bet!
    When it works it's nice but it can really lock up.

    So you should give it a try running straight Gnome or KDE.

    > Thanks for responding
    >>
    >> Florian

  9. Re: Random Lock-ups

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:17:08 +0100, "Dirk T. Verbeek"
    wrote:

    >null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de schreef:
    >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 05:27:29 +0100, Florian Diesch
    >> wrote:

    >>> Do you use any 3D graphics?

    >> It usually takes a few hours; no patterns that I can see.
    >> Does compiz count as a 3D graphic

    >You bet!
    >When it works it's nice but it can really lock up.
    >
    >So you should give it a try running straight Gnome or KDE.

    I was all ready to post about my success after removing compiz, but I
    switched over to that computer just one more time to be sure and it
    was locked up again!!! Oh well.......

  10. Re: Random Lock-ups

    >>"null_pointer@nowhere.com.net.edu.gov.de" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm running what started out as Ubuntu 7.10 and had KDE 3.5 and 4
    >>> added to it. It is a dual boot system with Ex Pee on a seperate hard
    >>> drive. Boot selection is done from MicroStar's F11 boot menu (BIOS)
    >>> Ex Pee runs fine with no problems, but (K)Ubuntu will experience
    >>> random lockups. When it locks up, the caps lock and scroll lock keys
    >>> are blinking in unison about 1 blink per second. Both the keyboard

    >>That's a kernel panic, i.e. an error the kernel couldn't recover from.
    >>Usually it's caused by a hardware problem or a kernel bug.
    >>
    >>How frequent does the lockup occur? Any patterns?
    >>Do you use any 3D graphics?

    >It usually takes a few hours; no patterns that I can see.
    >Does compiz count as a 3D graphic
    >>
    >>> and mouse are inoperative. This computer is connected to a KVM
    >>> switch. The ubuntu machine is usually running BOINC Manager at about
    >>> 75% processor load. The lockups occur under Gnome and both flavors of
    >>> KDE.
    >>> Hardware:
    >>> MSI AV8 (939) NForce4 AMD 4800 X2, 1.5 Gigs ram
    >>> Evga 7600GT, 2 SATA drives, Nothing over clocked; memtest86=OK
    >>> When it locks up, the clock stops, so I think the whole thing locks,
    >>> not just the keyboard/mouse interface.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions??? Is there any sort of log file which might be
    >>> helpful?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!

    >>There is /var/log/messages but most likely it doesn't contain anything
    >>about the error as the kernel has halted before anything could be
    >>written there.

    I looked in this log and saw that my PDA (Windows based) was being
    connected and disconnected every few seconds. When I start the
    computer with the PDA turned off, none of this happens. I can then
    turn it back on and this activity doesn't occur then either. Since
    I've been doing this, the lock ups have stopped...who woulda' thunk!!!
    Thanks for the advice...in a roundabout way you solved my problem.
    BTW, is there any linux program which will interface with an IPAQ
    running windows mobile OS; The default app in windows is Outlook and
    I don't think I'd be successful in running THAT under Wine.

+ Reply to Thread