Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation - Ubuntu ; I'm a newbie. Just wanted to make that clear. Actually a few years ago I experimented with with dual-booting XP and Knoppix and had fun playing with Linux and learned a bit about the way it works, but then I ...

  1. Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    I'm a newbie. Just wanted to make that clear.

    Actually a few years ago I experimented with with dual-booting XP and
    Knoppix and had fun playing with Linux and learned a bit about the way
    it works, but then I got tired of the hassle and wiped the Knoppix
    partition and ran fixmbr or something to get rid of the Linux boot
    loader and went back to Windows.

    The other day my curiosity got the better of me and I loaded Ubuntu
    Gutsy Gibbon on my hard drive where it now sits alongside two versions
    of XP and two versions of Vista. That's right, I'm quintuple booting.
    What fun. Well, it keeps me off the street.

    I actually like Ubuntu -- especially now that I can make Linux read and
    write to my NTFS drives with ntfs-3g. I even set up Linux Thunderbird
    to reference my email directory in an NTFS partition. I can read and
    send email from XP, Vista and Linux with all versions of Thunderbird
    pointed to the same set of emails. No danger of losing an email because
    I received it in one OS and I'm looking for it in another. The Linux
    Open Office word processor even reads and writes Microsoft Word files.
    I'm experiencing much less hassle now that I can do things I couldn't
    figure out how to do before.

    So what's the problem?

    I have an ATI HD 2600XT video card, and the Ubuntu installation drivers
    for that card really suck. So I've been playing around with advice I've
    found on the net in the Ubuntu forums and I've installed ATI drivers and
    I've gedited xorg.conf up one side and down the other, often with
    amusing results, and I've tried this solution and that solution but I
    still have a slow as molasses screen response time and videos are
    abymally jerky and basically I've got to fix this if I want to continue
    playing with Ubuntu.

    So I tried to fix it one more time this afternoon, by loading the
    proprietary (is "unregistered" the word?) ATI driver. That did me in.
    Now when I try to boot I get only a black screen. So I can't fix anything.

    I can get a "DOS" prompt :-) by selecting that option at the Linux boot
    loader, but I don't know what to do at that point. I need to have a GUI
    to get anything accomplished -- cuz I really don't know much about
    Linux. I can muddle around in the directories, but I can't start gedit
    and I don't know how to start a more basic text editor and besides, I
    don't even know what I'd want to edit, unless it's my good friend
    xorg.conf.

    If I can't come up with something soon, I'm going to just reinstall
    Ubuntu and start over. Shouldn't take too long to get back to where I
    was. But I hope I don't have to start all over because I'm eventually
    going find myself back where I was this afternoon, needing to load
    better video drivers. And I really don't need the hassle.

    Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog

    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

    Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA
    775 Processor

    Memory Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-8500

    Video Card
    SAPPHIRE 100210L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16

  2. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Bill Anderson wrote:

    > I can get a "DOS" prompt :-) by selecting that option at the Linux boot
    > loader, but I don't know what to do at that point. I need to have a GUI
    > to get anything accomplished -- cuz I really don't know much about
    > Linux. I can muddle around in the directories, but I can't start gedit
    > and I don't know how to start a more basic text editor and besides, I
    > don't even know what I'd want to edit, unless it's my good friend
    > xorg.conf.

    You can edit your installation's xorg.conf from the Ubuntu Live CD.

    Change the video driver from 'ati' or 'raedon' or whatever it is now to
    'vesa' and see what happens.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  3. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Bill Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I can get a "DOS" prompt :-) by selecting that option at the Linux
    >> boot loader, but I don't know what to do at that point. I need to
    >> have a GUI to get anything accomplished -- cuz I really don't know
    >> much about Linux. I can muddle around in the directories, but I can't
    >> start gedit and I don't know how to start a more basic text editor and
    >> besides, I don't even know what I'd want to edit, unless it's my good
    >> friend xorg.conf.

    > You can edit your installation's xorg.conf from the Ubuntu Live CD.
    >
    > Change the video driver from 'ati' or 'raedon' or whatever it is now to
    > 'vesa' and see what happens.

    D'oh. Of course. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog

  4. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Bill Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > If I can't come up with something soon, I'm going to just reinstall
    > Ubuntu and start over. Shouldn't take too long to get back to where I
    > was. But I hope I don't have to start all over because I'm eventually
    > going find myself back where I was this afternoon, needing to load
    > better video drivers. And I really don't need the hassle.
    >
    > Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

    Hi Bill. Thanks for the great insight into your mondset and
    experiences so far. It made good reading.

    What I would suggest you try before ditching is the following.
    http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    Alberto has written a brilliant script that detects your hardware and
    attempts to auto-install the correct driver. Originally it was for
    Nvidia, but he's recently added detection for ATI cards

    Gie it a whirl. From your post, you don't have too much to lose should
    it fail.

    He's also exceedingly quick at answering should you need any further
    adice. He's one of the stalwarts of the Ubuntu community and a good
    example of *why* ubuntu and its users are well thought of through
    computing circles.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Bill Anderson wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> Bill Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can get a "DOS" prompt :-) by selecting that option at the Linux
    >>> boot loader, but I don't know what to do at that point. I need to
    >>> have a GUI to get anything accomplished -- cuz I really don't know
    >>> much about Linux. I can muddle around in the directories, but I
    >>> can't start gedit and I don't know how to start a more basic text
    >>> editor and besides, I don't even know what I'd want to edit, unless
    >>> it's my good friend xorg.conf.

    >> You can edit your installation's xorg.conf from the Ubuntu Live CD.
    >>
    >> Change the video driver from 'ati' or 'raedon' or whatever it is now
    >> to 'vesa' and see what happens.

    > D'oh. Of course. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

    You're welcome. It's a mind-set thing. It's not obvious until you get
    your head out of the Windows-bind.

    Good luck with the ATI graphics. I have no experience with ATI -- I've
    made it a point to stick with nVidia. From everything I've read, nVidia
    is much more Linux-friendly, but ATI can be made to work.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  6. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Bill Anderson wrote:
    >> Mark Warner wrote:

    >>> You can edit your installation's xorg.conf from the Ubuntu Live CD.
    >>>
    >>> Change the video driver from 'ati' or 'raedon' or whatever it is now
    >>> to 'vesa' and see what happens.

    >> D'oh. Of course. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

    > You're welcome. It's a mind-set thing. It's not obvious until you get
    > your head out of the Windows-bind.
    >
    > Good luck with the ATI graphics. I have no experience with ATI -- I've
    > made it a point to stick with nVidia. From everything I've read, nVidia
    > is much more Linux-friendly, but ATI can be made to work.

    I'm back, and I'm typing this from my Ubuntu installation, which is
    running OK again. I don't quite know how I muddled through finding the
    hard drive directory I wanted while booted through the installation
    disk, but I did ... eventually. Almost certainly not as elegantly as
    you'd have done it, but I got where I wanted to be as a superuser so I
    could gedit xorg.conf. Unfortunately just changing "ati" to "vesa"
    didn't do the trick. But fortunately I'd saved several working backup
    versions of xorg.conf and by simply replacing the contents of xorg.conf
    with the contents of a backup version, I found myself back in business
    where I'd left off. This time I've just loaded the latest ATI drivers
    straight from where I extracted them onto the desktop without trying any
    of the recommended fancy tricks I found in the Ubuntu forums. And now
    xorg.conf points to "ati" instead of "vesa," and the desktop display
    looks almost right, but the refresh rate is abysmal, video is choppy,
    and I'm still looking for a solution.

    But thanks for saving my butt.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog

  7. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Moog wrote:
    > Bill Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> If I can't come up with something soon, I'm going to just reinstall
    >> Ubuntu and start over. Shouldn't take too long to get back to where I
    >> was. But I hope I don't have to start all over because I'm eventually
    >> going find myself back where I was this afternoon, needing to load
    >> better video drivers. And I really don't need the hassle.
    >>
    >> Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

    > Hi Bill. Thanks for the great insight into your mondset and
    > experiences so far. It made good reading.
    >
    > What I would suggest you try before ditching is the following.
    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >
    > Alberto has written a brilliant script that detects your hardware and
    > attempts to auto-install the correct driver. Originally it was for
    > Nvidia, but he's recently added detection for ATI cards
    >
    > Gie it a whirl. From your post, you don't have too much to lose should
    > it fail.

    Guess what -- it didn't fail. In fact, for the first time since I began
    playing with Ubuntu, I have a decent display. Not great, mind you, but
    decent at least. There is some horizontal tearing when I play a High
    Def video file, but still -- the improvement is remarkable. Many thanks
    for the pointer! As I'm typing this I'm realizing the font is too tiny,
    so now I'm going to try to change the screen resolution. Wish me luck.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog

  8. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Bill Anderson wrote:
    > Moog wrote:

    >> What I would suggest you try before ditching is the following.
    >> http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >>
    >> Alberto has written a brilliant script that detects your hardware and
    >> attempts to auto-install the correct driver. Originally it was for
    >> Nvidia, but he's recently added detection for ATI cards
    >>
    >> Gie it a whirl. From your post, you don't have too much to lose should
    >> it fail.

    > Guess what -- it didn't fail. In fact, for the first time since I began
    > playing with Ubuntu, I have a decent display. Not great, mind you, but
    > decent at least. There is some horizontal tearing when I play a High
    > Def video file, but still -- the improvement is remarkable. Many thanks
    > for the pointer! As I'm typing this I'm realizing the font is too tiny,
    > so now I'm going to try to change the screen resolution. Wish me luck.

    Get and use Envy anyway: it rocks.

  9. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Moog wrote:
    > Bill Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> If I can't come up with something soon, I'm going to just reinstall
    >> Ubuntu and start over. Shouldn't take too long to get back to where I
    >> was. But I hope I don't have to start all over because I'm eventually
    >> going find myself back where I was this afternoon, needing to load
    >> better video drivers. And I really don't need the hassle.
    >>
    >> Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

    > Hi Bill. Thanks for the great insight into your mondset and
    > experiences so far. It made good reading.
    >
    > What I would suggest you try before ditching is the following.
    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >
    > Alberto has written a brilliant script that detects your hardware and
    > attempts to auto-install the correct driver. Originally it was for
    > Nvidia, but he's recently added detection for ATI cards
    >
    > Gie it a whirl. From your post, you don't have too much to lose should
    > it fail.
    >
    > He's also exceedingly quick at answering should you need any further
    > adice. He's one of the stalwarts of the Ubuntu community and a good
    > example of *why* ubuntu and its users are well thought of through
    > computing circles.

    Thanks for the info Moog on that Envy program. I got it and I'll try it
    out on some high end Nvidia cards in gaming machines.
    Bman.

  10. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Bill Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Bill Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> If I can't come up with something soon, I'm going to just reinstall
    >>> Ubuntu and start over. Shouldn't take too long to get back to where I
    >>> was. But I hope I don't have to start all over because I'm eventually
    >>> going find myself back where I was this afternoon, needing to load
    >>> better video drivers. And I really don't need the hassle.
    >>>
    >>> Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

    >> Hi Bill. Thanks for the great insight into your mondset and
    >> experiences so far. It made good reading.
    >>
    >> What I would suggest you try before ditching is the following.
    >> http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >>
    >> Alberto has written a brilliant script that detects your hardware and
    >> attempts to auto-install the correct driver. Originally it was for
    >> Nvidia, but he's recently added detection for ATI cards
    >>
    >> Gie it a whirl. From your post, you don't have too much to lose should
    >> it fail.

    > Guess what -- it didn't fail. In fact, for the first time since I began
    > playing with Ubuntu, I have a decent display. Not great, mind you, but
    > decent at least. There is some horizontal tearing when I play a High
    > Def video file, but still -- the improvement is remarkable. Many thanks
    > for the pointer! As I'm typing this I'm realizing the font is too tiny,
    > so now I'm going to try to change the screen resolution. Wish me luck.

    Hi Bill.

    All you need to do is increase your font dpi.
    System -> Preferences -> Appearence

    Then select the "Font" Tab. Then the "Details Button (at the bottom
    right above the close button
    Simply increas the "Dots Per Inch" setting to a settint you're happy
    with.

    Enjoy.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: Need to Recover Ubuntu from ATI Graphics Driver installation

    Bman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Bill Anderson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> If I can't come up with something soon, I'm going to just reinstall
    >>> Ubuntu and start over. Shouldn't take too long to get back to where I
    >>> was. But I hope I don't have to start all over because I'm eventually
    >>> going find myself back where I was this afternoon, needing to load
    >>> better video drivers. And I really don't need the hassle.
    >>>
    >>> Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

    >> Hi Bill. Thanks for the great insight into your mondset and
    >> experiences so far. It made good reading.
    >>
    >> What I would suggest you try before ditching is the following.
    >> http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >>
    >> Alberto has written a brilliant script that detects your hardware and
    >> attempts to auto-install the correct driver. Originally it was for
    >> Nvidia, but he's recently added detection for ATI cards
    >>
    >> Gie it a whirl. From your post, you don't have too much to lose should
    >> it fail.
    >>
    >> He's also exceedingly quick at answering should you need any further
    >> adice. He's one of the stalwarts of the Ubuntu community and a good
    >> example of *why* ubuntu and its users are well thought of through
    >> computing circles.
    >>

    > Thanks for the info Moog on that Envy program. I got it and I'll try it
    > out on some high end Nvidia cards in gaming machines.
    > Bman.

    No problem Bman. Thank Alberto though, not me.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

+ Reply to Thread