Harddrive power down - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Harddrive power down - Ubuntu ; I have Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook. I want the Harddrive to power down after xxx minutes. Is this possible, if so, how do I do that. thanks...

  1. Harddrive power down

    I have Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook. I want the
    Harddrive to power down after xxx minutes. Is this possible, if so, how
    do I do that.

    thanks

  2. Re: Harddrive power down

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:25:30 +0000, John Pawlicki wrote:

    > I have Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook. I want the
    > Harddrive to power down after xxx minutes. Is this possible, if so, how
    > do I do that.

    in a terminal type;

    hdparm --help

  3. Re: Harddrive power down

    On 2008-02-17, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:25:30 +0000, John Pawlicki wrote:
    >
    >> I have Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook. I want the
    >> Harddrive to power down after xxx minutes. Is this possible, if so, how
    >> do I do that.
    >>

    > in a terminal type;
    >
    > hdparm --help

    ....and please report back with whatever you discover

    --
    -Toby

  4. Re: Harddrive power down

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:05:20 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:25:30 +0000, John Pawlicki wrote:
    >
    >> I have Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook. I want the
    >> Harddrive to power down after xxx minutes. Is this possible, if so, how
    >> do I do that.
    >>

    > in a terminal type;
    >
    > hdparm --help

    Thanks for direction to look. I am now using hdparm. However I do have a
    question - as root if I set the parameters is still set after a reboot?

  5. Re: Harddrive power down

    * John Pawlicki :
    > Thanks for direction to look. I am now using hdparm. However I do have a
    > question - as root if I set the parameters is still set after a reboot?

    No. Have a look at "man hdparm.conf" then edit '/etc/hdparm.conf'.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

+ Reply to Thread