Creative X-Fi sound card - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Creative X-Fi sound card - Ubuntu ; Is there a way to use my Creative X-Fi sound card with Ubuntu? After some Googling, I suspect the answer is "no", but I wondered if anyone had any more definitive answers? Having just made my Vista machine (where the ...

  1. Creative X-Fi sound card

    Is there a way to use my Creative X-Fi sound card with Ubuntu? After some
    Googling, I suspect the answer is "no", but I wondered if anyone had any more
    definitive answers?

    Having just made my Vista machine (where the sound card works fine) dual boot
    Ubuntu, I find that Ubuntu only recognises the on-motherboard sound card. Which
    is all very well, but I don't really want to be swapping cables every time I
    reboot to the other operating system.

    Many thanks in advance for any information,

  2. Re: Creative X-Fi sound card

    Dave Weaver wrote:

    > Is there a way to use my Creative X-Fi sound card with Ubuntu? After some
    > Googling, I suspect the answer is "no", but I wondered if anyone had any
    > more definitive answers?
    >
    > Having just made my Vista machine (where the sound card works fine) dual
    > boot Ubuntu, I find that Ubuntu only recognises the on-motherboard sound
    > card. Which is all very well, but I don't really want to be swapping
    > cables every time I reboot to the other operating system.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for any information,

    If you don't want to have to switch cables manually and there is no driver
    for the Creative card for Linux, you can look into purchasing an
    inexpensive switch box to easily route the sound to your speakers (and mic
    too) from one card or the other.

    Something like this would work fine ...

    http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/pr...en-CA&ref=2005

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  3. Re: Creative X-Fi sound card

    Dave Weaver wrote:
    > Is there a way to use my Creative X-Fi sound card with Ubuntu? After some
    > Googling, I suspect the answer is "no", but I wondered if anyone had any more
    > definitive answers?
    >
    > Having just made my Vista machine (where the sound card works fine) dual boot
    > Ubuntu, I find that Ubuntu only recognises the on-motherboard sound card. Which
    > is all very well, but I don't really want to be swapping cables every time I
    > reboot to the other operating system.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for any information,

    looks like there is hope:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=990&num=1

  4. Re: Creative X-Fi sound card

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:28:05 -0600, User wrote:

    > Dave Weaver wrote:
    >> Is there a way to use my Creative X-Fi sound card with Ubuntu? After
    >> some Googling, I suspect the answer is "no", but I wondered if anyone
    >> had any more definitive answers?
    >>
    >> Having just made my Vista machine (where the sound card works fine)
    >> dual boot Ubuntu, I find that Ubuntu only recognises the on-motherboard
    >> sound card. Which is all very well, but I don't really want to be
    >> swapping cables every time I reboot to the other operating system.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance for any information,
    >>

    > looks like there is hope:
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=990&num=1

    Yea creative went onto my ****list of hardware vendors whom I no longer
    buy from over a year ago.

    These days I just stick to the HD Audio hardware provided by ASUS on my
    motherboard. The new motherboard I used for my new PC at work even came
    with a separate HD Audio card with shielding and everything from Asus
    instead of it being integrated on the motherboard.

    Works absolutely flawless under Ubuntu and quality is excellent.

    Creative labs? Who the hell is Creative Labs?

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: Creative X-Fi sound card

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:28:05 -0600, User wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Weaver wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to use my Creative X-Fi sound card with Ubuntu? After
    >>> some Googling, I suspect the answer is "no", but I wondered if anyone
    >>> had any more definitive answers?
    >>>
    >>> Having just made my Vista machine (where the sound card works fine)
    >>> dual boot Ubuntu, I find that Ubuntu only recognises the on-motherboard
    >>> sound card. Which is all very well, but I don't really want to be
    >>> swapping cables every time I reboot to the other operating system.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks in advance for any information,
    >>>

    >> looks like there is hope:
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=990&num=1

    > Yea creative went onto my ****list of hardware vendors whom I no longer
    > buy from over a year ago.
    >
    > These days I just stick to the HD Audio hardware provided by ASUS on my
    > motherboard. The new motherboard I used for my new PC at work even came
    > with a separate HD Audio card with shielding and everything from Asus
    > instead of it being integrated on the motherboard.
    >
    > Works absolutely flawless under Ubuntu and quality is excellent.
    >
    > Creative labs? Who the hell is Creative Labs?

    So I take it you are intimating that there are definitely no drivers for
    Creative hardware as I also have X-Fi?

    No drivers whatsoever?

    At least this is the impression I am getting.

    Pity.

    Ampers

  6. Re: Creative X-Fi sound card

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:35:26 +0000, Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:

    >>> looks like there is hope:
    >>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=990&num=1

    >> Yea creative went onto my ****list of hardware vendors whom I no longer
    >> buy from over a year ago.
    >>
    >> These days I just stick to the HD Audio hardware provided by ASUS on my
    >> motherboard. The new motherboard I used for my new PC at work even came
    >> with a separate HD Audio card with shielding and everything from Asus
    >> instead of it being integrated on the motherboard.
    >>
    >> Works absolutely flawless under Ubuntu and quality is excellent.
    >>
    >> Creative labs? Who the hell is Creative Labs?
    >>

    > So I take it you are intimating that there are definitely no drivers for
    > Creative hardware as I also have X-Fi?
    >
    > No drivers whatsoever?
    >
    > At least this is the impression I am getting.
    >
    > Pity.

    Pity for creative labs as far as I am concerned. I've been a creative
    labs customer since the day I owned a soundblaster on my 286.

    Not anymore...even if they were to release working drivers tomorrow, I
    have no more reasons to buy their products.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  7. Re: Creative X-Fi sound card

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:35:26 +0000, Ampers Taylor wrote:

    > So I take it you are intimating that there are definitely no drivers for
    > Creative hardware as I also have X-Fi?
    >
    > No drivers whatsoever?

    There are currently two.

    Creative released a proprietary BETA driver for x86_64 last year (64 bit
    only):

    OSS 4.0 build 1013 includes a new open source BETA driver for X-Fi:
    http://4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7485#7485

    Also, this report from The Inquirer indicates ALSA expects to receive some
    *real* hardware documentation from Creative within the next few weeks so
    we'll probably see an ALSA driver soon too:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...releases-specs

  8. Re: Creative X-Fi sound card

    Dave Weaver wrote:
    > Is there a way to use my Creative X-Fi sound card with Ubuntu? After some
    > Googling, I suspect the answer is "no", but I wondered if anyone had any more
    > definitive answers?
    >
    > Having just made my Vista machine (where the sound card works fine) dual boot
    > Ubuntu, I find that Ubuntu only recognises the on-motherboard sound card. Which
    > is all very well, but I don't really want to be swapping cables every time I
    > reboot to the other operating system.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for any information,

    1 apt-get install asoundconf-gtk
    2 run it
    3 choose your card
    4 quit and reboot