Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem. - Ubuntu ; I'm having trouble getting Compiz working nicely with my dual monitors. From a new installation of Ubuntu 7.10, I installed the Nvidia drivers, ran nvidia-settings and got my dual screens working OK. The left hand (main) monitor is 1900x1200 and ...

  1. Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem.

    I'm having trouble getting Compiz working nicely with my dual monitors.

    From a new installation of Ubuntu 7.10, I installed the Nvidia drivers, ran
    nvidia-settings and got my dual screens working OK. The left hand (main)
    monitor is 1900x1200 and has panels at top & bottom. The right hand monitor
    is 1280x1024 and has no panels. When windows are maximised they fill one
    monitor. Centered windows appear in the center of one monitor.

    So far, so good, but no Compiz.

    Next, I used "Add/Remove Applications" to install "Advanced Desktop Effcts
    Settings", then went to Prefeences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects and
    tried to set it to custom, and it failed. Some research told me to run
    Synaptic Package Manager and install xserver-xgl. Once I'd done this I
    could enable custom effects OK.

    However, on relogging I appear to have one large desktop spanning both
    monitors. The panels at top & bottom of the screen stretch across both
    monitors (so I am unable to see half of the bottom panel, since the one
    monitor has less vertical resolution than the other). Maximized windows
    span both monitors, and pop-up windows appear half on the left monitor and
    half on the right. But the fancy Compiz effects work nicely. :-/

    I found that if I touch ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable and restart X, my
    desktop returns to the required format, but Compiz effects are lacking. If
    I enable xserver-xgl then I get the special effects, but annoying desktop
    spanning and behaviour.

    Is there a solution to this problem? Can I get fancy eye candy AND a usable
    desktop?

    Any tips, pointers, etc greatly appreciated.

    Ubuntu 7.10
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    Nvidia driver v100.14.19

  2. Re: Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem.

    On 2008-02-17, Dave Weaver wrote:
    > I'm having trouble getting Compiz working nicely with my dual monitors.
    >
    > From a new installation of Ubuntu 7.10, I installed the Nvidia drivers, ran
    > nvidia-settings and got my dual screens working OK. The left hand (main)
    > monitor is 1900x1200 and has panels at top & bottom. The right hand monitor
    > is 1280x1024 and has no panels. When windows are maximised they fill one
    > monitor. Centered windows appear in the center of one monitor.
    >
    > So far, so good, but no Compiz.
    >
    > Next, I used "Add/Remove Applications" to install "Advanced Desktop Effcts
    > Settings", then went to Prefeences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects and
    > tried to set it to custom, and it failed. Some research told me to run
    > Synaptic Package Manager and install xserver-xgl. Once I'd done this I
    > could enable custom effects OK.
    >
    > However, on relogging I appear to have one large desktop spanning both
    > monitors. The panels at top & bottom of the screen stretch across both
    > monitors (so I am unable to see half of the bottom panel, since the one
    > monitor has less vertical resolution than the other). Maximized windows
    > span both monitors, and pop-up windows appear half on the left monitor and
    > half on the right. But the fancy Compiz effects work nicely. :-/
    >
    > I found that if I touch ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable and restart X, my
    > desktop returns to the required format, but Compiz effects are lacking. If
    > I enable xserver-xgl then I get the special effects, but annoying desktop
    > spanning and behaviour.
    >
    > Is there a solution to this problem? Can I get fancy eye candy AND a usable
    > desktop?
    >
    > Any tips, pointers, etc greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Ubuntu 7.10
    > Nvidia 8800GTX
    > Nvidia driver v100.14.19

    I have had dual monitors and Compiz simultaneously in the past.
    I used Xinerama, as I recall.
    It gave me two separate desktops with two different wallpapers, themes,
    and two different ~/desktop1 and ~/desktop2 folders.
    I could move the mouse from one to the other, but I could not drag an
    application from one to the other.

    --
    -Toby

  3. Re: Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem.

    Dave Weaver wrote:
    > I'm having trouble getting Compiz working nicely with my dual monitors.

    > Is there a solution to this problem? Can I get fancy eye candy AND a usable
    > desktop?
    >
    > Any tips, pointers, etc greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Ubuntu 7.10
    > Nvidia 8800GTX
    > Nvidia driver v100.14.19

    1. Use Envy to install the drivers and utilities from nvidia, then

    2. In a terminal type:
    sudo nvidia-settings

    then play to heart's content.

    IME just using the launcher for nvidia settings lets you play but won't
    save the changes to xorg.conf because you don't have the necessary
    permissions; launching it with sudo cures this.

    Please let me know what settings work for you as I, too, am having some
    difficulties getting it just as I'd like.

  4. Re: Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem.

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:18:15 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > 1. Use Envy to install the drivers and utilities from nvidia, then

    Off the top of my head I don't know what "Envy" is (I'm new to Ubuntu),
    but I did install the nvidia drivers and utilities...

    > 2. In a terminal type:
    > sudo nvidia-settings

    .... and (as I mentioned in my original post) I did use nvidia-settings to
    get things working ok.

    However that was before installing xserver-xgl. Once that is installed and
    running the nvidia-settings program doesn't work (I don't recall the error
    message and I'm not by my PC at the moment), and I get panels and
    maximised windows spanning desktops etc.

    > Please let me know what settings work for you as I, too, am having some
    > difficulties getting it just as I'd like.

    None so far, hence the post. :-/

    I'm somehwat surprised, because dual monitors with an nvdia card can't be
    a particularly uncommon configuration - *someone* must have this working
    nicely, surely..?

  5. Re: Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem.

    Dave Weaver wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:18:15 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:
    >> 1. Use Envy to install the drivers and utilities from nvidia, then

    > Off the top of my head I don't know what "Envy" is (I'm new to Ubuntu),
    > but I did install the nvidia drivers and utilities...
    >
    >> 2. In a terminal type:
    >> sudo nvidia-settings

    > ... and (as I mentioned in my original post) I did use nvidia-settings to
    > get things working ok.
    >
    > However that was before installing xserver-xgl. Once that is installed and
    > running the nvidia-settings program doesn't work (I don't recall the error
    > message and I'm not by my PC at the moment), and I get panels and
    > maximised windows spanning desktops etc.
    >

    >> Please let me know what settings work for you as I, too, am having some
    >> difficulties getting it just as I'd like.

    > None so far, hence the post. :-/
    >
    > I'm somehwat surprised, because dual monitors with an nvdia card can't be
    > a particularly uncommon configuration - *someone* must have this working
    > nicely, surely..?

    Envy is a script designed for *buntu which will download, compile and
    install the latest drivers from the nvidia website and then reconfigure
    xorg to use them. It's available as a .deb file from the author's web-site.

    http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

  6. Re: Compiz, nvidia, dual monitors, desktop spanning problem.

    Dave Weaver wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:18:15 +0000, Derek Turner
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> 1. Use Envy to install the drivers and utilities from nvidia, then

    > Off the top of my head I don't know what "Envy" is (I'm new to Ubuntu),
    > but I did install the nvidia drivers and utilities...
    >
    >> 2. In a terminal type:
    >> sudo nvidia-settings

    > ... and (as I mentioned in my original post) I did use nvidia-settings to
    > get things working ok.
    >
    > However that was before installing xserver-xgl. Once that is installed and
    > running the nvidia-settings program doesn't work (I don't recall the error
    > message and I'm not by my PC at the moment), and I get panels and
    > maximised windows spanning desktops etc.
    >

    >> Please let me know what settings work for you as I, too, am having some
    >> difficulties getting it just as I'd like.

    > None so far, hence the post. :-/
    >
    > I'm somehwat surprised, because dual monitors with an nvdia card can't be
    > a particularly uncommon configuration - *someone* must have this working
    > nicely, surely..?

    I have it working. Only difference is that both my monitors are running at
    the same resolution. I don't know what a desktop stretched across 2
    monitors, running at different resolutions, should look like.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    My Killfile List: Frank, dennis@home ... Sorry, won't be able to read your