Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz - Ubuntu ; Hi, Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu? It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity ...

  1. Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Hi,

    Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?

    It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity (no
    floppy present though) and then I just get a blank screen with a rapidly
    flashing cursor.

    Any thoughts?

    Rich

  2. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Richard Setford wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    > with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?

    No, schould work.

    > It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity (no
    > floppy present though) and then I just get a blank screen with a rapidly
    > flashing cursor.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Can you choose the second option at boot: Safe Graphics (or something like
    that)?

    de Kameel

  3. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    "de Kameel" wrote in message
    > Richard Setford wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    >> with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?

    > No, schould work.
    >
    >> It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity (no
    >> floppy present though) and then I just get a blank screen with a rapidly
    >> flashing cursor.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > Can you choose the second option at boot: Safe Graphics (or something like
    > that)?
    >
    > de Kameel

    When I started things up, I had a heck of a time. Other than "safe
    graphics", make sure you have a high quality disc. I was using some older
    generic cd-r's and having a hard time. (They always worked for music.) I
    went and got a new box of discs and the first one worked perfect. When
    trying to solve the problems I was having, several sources online suggested
    burning the cd at slow speed (i.e. most burners these days go up to 48x or
    so, manually set it for 8x or so for better reliability.)

    Ed

  4. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Good call on the CD write speed and quality. I'll give that a try.

    Rich

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > "de Kameel" wrote in message
    >> Richard Setford wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    >>> with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?

    >> No, schould work.
    >>
    >>> It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity (no
    >>> floppy present though) and then I just get a blank screen with a rapidly
    >>> flashing cursor.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?

    >> Can you choose the second option at boot: Safe Graphics (or something like
    >> that)?
    >>
    >> de Kameel
    >>

    > When I started things up, I had a heck of a time. Other than "safe
    > graphics", make sure you have a high quality disc. I was using some older
    > generic cd-r's and having a hard time. (They always worked for music.) I
    > went and got a new box of discs and the first one worked perfect. When
    > trying to solve the problems I was having, several sources online suggested
    > burning the cd at slow speed (i.e. most burners these days go up to 48x or
    > so, manually set it for 8x or so for better reliability.)
    >
    > Ed

  5. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Richard Setford wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    > with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?
    >
    > It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity (no
    > floppy present though) and then I just get a blank screen with a rapidly
    > flashing cursor.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Rich

    Blank screen and flashing cursor usually, in my case mean that a disk
    check is been performed.

    Ram

  6. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Richard Setford wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    > with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?
    >
    > It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity (no
    > floppy present though) and then I just get a blank screen with a rapidly
    > flashing cursor.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Rich

    Yes you may need more ram and go into your Bios and choose no floppy.
    See if the last works first.
    caver1

  7. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    On 2008-02-17, Richard Setford hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Good call on the CD write speed and quality. I'll give
    >that a try.
    >
    > Rich

    Two suggestions, please refrain from top-posting, and then
    get yourself the alternate CD. Also with the specs, I'd
    advise that you go for a lightweight Window Manager/Desktop
    combo. Like Xfce or ICEWM. They are easy on the resources. I
    used in the past a AMD-K6 with 400 MHz IIRC and I used
    mainly one of these X-environments.

    This message is typed on a Pentium II with 512 MB Ram...
    The most annoying part I discovered on this thing so far
    is watching videos from youtube, be prepared for some
    sluggishness here. But I'm sure there will be a solution too
    this for slower boxes.

    >> Ed

    Dragomir Kollaric

  8. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Richard Setford wrote:

    > Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    > with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?

    Ubuntu's Live CD implementation has always suffered in comparison to
    others, especially on marginal hardware.

    Additionally, newer kernels no longer support older AMD K6's; that may
    be your problem.

    Might try SimplyMEPIS v3.4-3 or v6.5, or PCLinuxOS v2007. Vector is
    another one that will give you decent performance on old hardware.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  9. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Richard Setford wrote:
    >>
    >> Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    >> with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?

    > Ubuntu's Live CD implementation has always suffered in comparison to
    > others, especially on marginal hardware.

    Indeed.

    > Additionally, newer kernels no longer support older AMD K6's; that may
    > be your problem.
    >
    > Might try SimplyMEPIS v3.4-3 or v6.5, or PCLinuxOS v2007. Vector is
    > another one that will give you decent performance on old hardware.

    Or instead of trying to promote Mepis in a Ubuntu group, again, you
    could simply have pointed to Xubuntu.
    http://www.xubuntu.org/

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  10. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Richard Setford wrote:
    >>> Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
    >>> with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?

    >> Ubuntu's Live CD implementation has always suffered in comparison to
    >> others, especially on marginal hardware.

    > Indeed.
    >
    >> Additionally, newer kernels no longer support older AMD K6's; that may
    >> be your problem.
    >>
    >> Might try SimplyMEPIS v3.4-3 or v6.5, or PCLinuxOS v2007. Vector is
    >> another one that will give you decent performance on old hardware.

    > Or instead of trying to promote Mepis in a Ubuntu group, again, you
    > could simply have pointed to Xubuntu.
    > http://www.xubuntu.org/

    Xubuntu 7.10 would have the same poor Live CD implementation and the
    same problematic kernel. The kernel issue could be resolved by using an
    earlier version, but the Live CD problem would remain. So I guess I
    *could* have recommended using the Alternate CD /and/ an earlier version
    of Xubuntu.

    Fukkit. Pointing him to SimplyMEPIS v6.5 is easier. It's Ubuntu Dapper
    under the hood anyway. It's all good.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  11. Re: Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Ubuntu's Live CD implementation has always suffered in comparison to
    >>> others, especially on marginal hardware.

    >> Indeed.
    >>
    >>> Additionally, newer kernels no longer support older AMD K6's; that may
    >>> be your problem.
    >>>
    >>> Might try SimplyMEPIS v3.4-3 or v6.5, or PCLinuxOS v2007. Vector is
    >>> another one that will give you decent performance on old hardware.

    >> Or instead of trying to promote Mepis in a Ubuntu group, again, you
    >> could simply have pointed to Xubuntu.
    >> http://www.xubuntu.org/

    > Xubuntu 7.10 would have the same poor Live CD implementation and the
    > same problematic kernel. The kernel issue could be resolved by using an
    > earlier version, but the Live CD problem would remain. So I guess I
    > *could* have recommended using the Alternate CD /and/ an earlier version
    > of Xubuntu.

    No. Xubuntu runs on a far smaller footprint than Ubuntu. There is
    every likelihood that the LiveCD will work. It does on many low spec
    machines of mine that Ubuntu doesn't work on.

    Also, I pointed to the xubuntu website that gives you the option of
    downloading the alternate.

    > Fukkit. Pointing him to SimplyMEPIS v6.5 is easier. It's Ubuntu Dapper
    > under the hood anyway. It's all good.

    No. Mepis is a fork. This is a Ubuntu group. If people want to run
    Mepis, they'll go to a Mepis forum or group.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"