Finally got widescreen monitor to work - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Finally got widescreen monitor to work - Ubuntu ; I've posted here, read posts, modified my xorg.conf file, and finally just gave up on getting my Westinghouse LCM-22w2 22" widescreen monitor to work at 1680x1050 with Ubuntu. I have two machines hooked up to the monitor - a dual ...

  1. Finally got widescreen monitor to work

    I've posted here, read posts, modified my xorg.conf file, and finally
    just gave up on getting my Westinghouse LCM-22w2 22" widescreen
    monitor to work at 1680x1050 with Ubuntu.

    I have two machines hooked up to the monitor - a dual boot Ubuntu/XP
    on the monitor's DVI port and a triple boot Linspire/XP/Vista machine
    on the VGA port. The latter has an ATI Radeon 9600 adapter while the
    Ubuntu machine has an nVidia GeForce FX5500 with 256MB.

    All OS's worked fine at the native resolution except Ubuntu, which
    insisted on running at 1280x960 no matter what drivers were installed.
    The "nvidia-settings" utility showed a native resolution of 1280x960,
    and the monitor would not exceed that no way no now. Forget ModeLine
    specifications, etc., etc. It was impossible. At least I got my old
    vi skills back again with all the editing practice.

    Today I had a breakthrough. It's a real duh! although no one's ever
    mentioned this anywhere I've seen. I just throw it out in case someone
    else is having the same problem.

    All I did to fix the problem was switch the video cables around. So
    now my primary Ubuntu/XP machine uses the VGA cable, and the
    Linspire/XP/Vista clunker uses the DVI cable. Problem solved. The
    Ubuntu immediately recognized the EDID info and provided the correct
    resolution right off the bat with nothing else to do.

    On the secondary machine with the ATI card, the Linspire install
    immediately recognized the EDID info and the monitor came up correctly
    with DVI.

    So for whatever reason, the combination of hardware I have along with
    the latest Linux nVidia drivers simply wouldn't work right with the
    monitor's DVI port. There must be a problem with all the nVidia
    drivers I've ever downloaded, either with Envy or directly. The XP
    nVidia drivers never had this problem on the very same hardware.

    I would prefer to run my primary machine through the DVI cable, but
    whatever works.

    Those persons having trouble getting their widescreen monitors to work
    with Ubuntu and an nVidia card may want to try using the VGA port
    rather than DVI just to see if that solves the problem.

  2. Re: Finally got widescreen monitor to work

    Arrowcatcher wrote:
    > I've posted here, read posts, modified my xorg.conf file, and finally
    > just gave up on getting my Westinghouse LCM-22w2 22" widescreen
    > monitor to work at 1680x1050 with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have two machines hooked up to the monitor - a dual boot Ubuntu/XP
    > on the monitor's DVI port and a triple boot Linspire/XP/Vista machine
    > on the VGA port. The latter has an ATI Radeon 9600 adapter while the
    > Ubuntu machine has an nVidia GeForce FX5500 with 256MB.
    >
    > All OS's worked fine at the native resolution except Ubuntu, which
    > insisted on running at 1280x960 no matter what drivers were installed.
    > The "nvidia-settings" utility showed a native resolution of 1280x960,
    > and the monitor would not exceed that no way no now. Forget ModeLine
    > specifications, etc., etc. It was impossible. At least I got my old
    > vi skills back again with all the editing practice.
    >
    > Today I had a breakthrough. It's a real duh! although no one's ever
    > mentioned this anywhere I've seen. I just throw it out in case someone
    > else is having the same problem.
    >
    > All I did to fix the problem was switch the video cables around. So
    > now my primary Ubuntu/XP machine uses the VGA cable, and the
    > Linspire/XP/Vista clunker uses the DVI cable. Problem solved. The
    > Ubuntu immediately recognized the EDID info and provided the correct
    > resolution right off the bat with nothing else to do.
    >
    > On the secondary machine with the ATI card, the Linspire install
    > immediately recognized the EDID info and the monitor came up correctly
    > with DVI.
    >
    > So for whatever reason, the combination of hardware I have along with
    > the latest Linux nVidia drivers simply wouldn't work right with the
    > monitor's DVI port. There must be a problem with all the nVidia
    > drivers I've ever downloaded, either with Envy or directly. The XP
    > nVidia drivers never had this problem on the very same hardware.
    >
    > I would prefer to run my primary machine through the DVI cable, but
    > whatever works.
    >
    > Those persons having trouble getting their widescreen monitors to work
    > with Ubuntu and an nVidia card may want to try using the VGA port
    > rather than DVI just to see if that solves the problem.

    Sorry to hear you have problems with your hardware However, my system
    with a 6800 aopen nvidia card and my samsung 22inch in dvi mode work
    fawlessly together @ 1680 * 1050.

    Ram

  3. Re: Finally got widescreen monitor to work

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:04:05 +0000, Ram wrote:

    > Arrowcatcher wrote:
    >> I've posted here, read posts, modified my xorg.conf file, and finally
    >> just gave up on getting my Westinghouse LCM-22w2 22" widescreen
    >> monitor to work at 1680x1050 with Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> I have two machines hooked up to the monitor - a dual boot Ubuntu/XP
    >> on the monitor's DVI port and a triple boot Linspire/XP/Vista machine
    >> on the VGA port. The latter has an ATI Radeon 9600 adapter while the
    >> Ubuntu machine has an nVidia GeForce FX5500 with 256MB.
    >>
    >> All OS's worked fine at the native resolution except Ubuntu, which
    >> insisted on running at 1280x960 no matter what drivers were installed.
    >> The "nvidia-settings" utility showed a native resolution of 1280x960,
    >> and the monitor would not exceed that no way no now. Forget ModeLine
    >> specifications, etc., etc. It was impossible. At least I got my old
    >> vi skills back again with all the editing practice.
    >>
    >> Today I had a breakthrough. It's a real duh! although no one's ever
    >> mentioned this anywhere I've seen. I just throw it out in case someone
    >> else is having the same problem.
    >>
    >> All I did to fix the problem was switch the video cables around. So
    >> now my primary Ubuntu/XP machine uses the VGA cable, and the
    >> Linspire/XP/Vista clunker uses the DVI cable. Problem solved. The
    >> Ubuntu immediately recognized the EDID info and provided the correct
    >> resolution right off the bat with nothing else to do.
    >>
    >> On the secondary machine with the ATI card, the Linspire install
    >> immediately recognized the EDID info and the monitor came up correctly
    >> with DVI.
    >>
    >> So for whatever reason, the combination of hardware I have along with
    >> the latest Linux nVidia drivers simply wouldn't work right with the
    >> monitor's DVI port. There must be a problem with all the nVidia
    >> drivers I've ever downloaded, either with Envy or directly. The XP
    >> nVidia drivers never had this problem on the very same hardware.
    >>
    >> I would prefer to run my primary machine through the DVI cable, but
    >> whatever works.
    >>
    >> Those persons having trouble getting their widescreen monitors to work
    >> with Ubuntu and an nVidia card may want to try using the VGA port
    >> rather than DVI just to see if that solves the problem.

    > Sorry to hear you have problems with your hardware However, my system
    > with a 6800 aopen nvidia card and my samsung 22inch in dvi mode work
    > fawlessly together @ 1680 * 1050.
    >
    > Ram

    My LG 22" + nvidia 8500GT work flawlessly on DVI. I installed on the VGA
    port then when out and bought the DVI cable. Didn't have to do anything
    when I switched ports.

  4. Re: Finally got widescreen monitor to work

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:11:13 -0500, Meat Plow
    wrote:

    >> Sorry to hear you have problems with your hardware However, my system
    >> with a 6800 aopen nvidia card and my samsung 22inch in dvi mode work
    >> fawlessly together @ 1680 * 1050.
    >>
    >> Ram

    >My LG 22" + nvidia 8500GT work flawlessly on DVI. I installed on the VGA
    >port then when out and bought the DVI cable. Didn't have to do anything
    >when I switched ports.

    This is all very good to know, but the combination I have would not
    work at the native resolution with the DVI cable. And I mean I did
    everything. I must have 3 dozen relabeled xorg.conf files in the X11
    directory. Then when I used VGA, it came right up perfect without
    doing a thing. I simplified the existing xorg.conf file down to the
    minimum, and it still worked fine at 1680x1050.. On the very same
    hardware with the DVI cable, Windows XP worked fine. In fact you could
    even force the monitor way over its native resolution in XP, and it
    still worked (everything tiny and slightly fuzzy though).

  5. Re: Finally got widescreen monitor to work

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:44:22 -0800, Arrowcatcher wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:11:13 -0500, Meat Plow
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Sorry to hear you have problems with your hardware However, my system
    >>> with a 6800 aopen nvidia card and my samsung 22inch in dvi mode work
    >>> fawlessly together @ 1680 * 1050.
    >>>
    >>> Ram

    >>My LG 22" + nvidia 8500GT work flawlessly on DVI. I installed on the VGA
    >>port then when out and bought the DVI cable. Didn't have to do anything
    >>when I switched ports.

    > This is all very good to know, but the combination I have would not
    > work at the native resolution with the DVI cable. And I mean I did
    > everything. I must have 3 dozen relabeled xorg.conf files in the X11
    > directory. Then when I used VGA, it came right up perfect without
    > doing a thing. I simplified the existing xorg.conf file down to the
    > minimum, and it still worked fine at 1680x1050.. On the very same
    > hardware with the DVI cable, Windows XP worked fine. In fact you could
    > even force the monitor way over its native resolution in XP, and it
    > still worked (everything tiny and slightly fuzzy though).

    Are you using the restricted nvidia driver?

+ Reply to Thread