Finally got WPA2 working under Gutsy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Finally got WPA2 working under Gutsy - Ubuntu ; If anyone has been struggling with getting WPA to work, here is what I found after wrestling with this problem for 2 weeks. I had no problems connecting without security or using WEP right from the first time I installed ...

  1. Finally got WPA2 working under Gutsy

    If anyone has been struggling with getting WPA to work, here is what I
    found after wrestling with this problem for 2 weeks. I had no problems
    connecting without security or using WEP right from the first time I
    installed Gutsy about 2 months ago.

    I tried many suggestions from various forums and websites. When installed
    wpagui, it gave me a message something like "failed to start wpasupplicant.

    Finally tried the instructions here:

    http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-wp...ntu-linux.html

    Everything worked perfectly after the restart. Now that it is working, I
    suspect that there was something amiss with Network Manager. Now I have
    the signal strength bars icon on the panel and it shows available networks
    on a left click. Before, all I had was the two computer icon that only
    allowed manual connection.

    --
    ´╗┐Jim
    posted from Ubuntu/Pan

  2. Re: Finally got WPA2 working under Gutsy

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:58:05 -0600
    Jim Edmondson wrote:

    > If anyone has been struggling with getting WPA to work, here is what I
    > found after wrestling with this problem for 2 weeks. I had no
    > problems connecting without security or using WEP right from the
    > first time I installed Gutsy about 2 months ago

    Had to settle for wep, will try that.
    --
    live, or leave & let live.
    :-)

  3. Re: Finally got WPA2 working under Gutsy

    Jim Edmondson wrote:
    > If anyone has been struggling with getting WPA to work, here is what I
    > found after wrestling with this problem for 2 weeks. I had no problems
    > connecting without security or using WEP right from the first time I
    > installed Gutsy about 2 months ago.
    >
    > I tried many suggestions from various forums and websites. When installed
    > wpagui, it gave me a message something like "failed to start wpasupplicant.
    >
    > Finally tried the instructions here:
    >
    > http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-wp...ntu-linux.html
    >
    > Everything worked perfectly after the restart. Now that it is working, I
    > suspect that there was something amiss with Network Manager. Now I have
    > the signal strength bars icon on the panel and it shows available networks
    > on a left click. Before, all I had was the two computer icon that only
    > allowed manual connection.

    My network manager worked right after I enabled and installed the
    restricted Broadcom driver (my laptop uses the BC 4306 chip) and
    connects to my WPA2 network. The problem is intermittent operation.
    Sometimes it will just drop for no reason and I can't reconnect unless I
    reboot my router. The router is a WRT54G (v5) running DD-WRT micro.
    Anyone have any ideas?

  4. Re: Finally got WPA2 working under Gutsy

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:25:39 -0500, Brian wrote:

    > My network manager worked right after I enabled and installed the
    > restricted Broadcom driver (my laptop uses the BC 4306 chip) and
    > connects to my WPA2 network. The problem is intermittent operation.
    > Sometimes it will just drop for no reason and I can't reconnect unless I
    > reboot my router. The router is a WRT54G (v5) running DD-WRT micro.
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    Yeah...it's not the router. Have same problem here. Seems that there's a
    problem with the syncing of the key and the connection drops. Tried
    disabling and re-enabling wifi and that didn't appear to work but a
    reboot does. Looks like a driver issue.

    --
    Conor

    The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how
    seldom they defeat us.

+ Reply to Thread