Ubuntu 7.10 and power management - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 and power management - Ubuntu ; Running a dual boot with XP and Ubuntu 7.10 on my Thinkpad, I notice that Ubuntu's power management does not seem to perform nearly as well as XP's. I get more than 50% more battery life running XP than with ...

  1. Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    Running a dual boot with XP and Ubuntu 7.10 on my Thinkpad, I notice that
    Ubuntu's power management does not seem to perform nearly as well as XP's.
    I get more than 50% more battery life running XP than with Ubuntu.

    Google doesn't seem to be telling me much that's useful. The power
    management options provided under "Preferences" seem pretty basic, and
    don't do much to improve things.

    Is there any way to tweak up the power management in Ubuntu?

    --
    Dale

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    Dale Beckett wrote:

    > Running a dual boot with XP and Ubuntu 7.10 on my Thinkpad, I notice that
    > Ubuntu's power management does not seem to perform nearly as well as XP's.
    > I get more than 50% more battery life running XP than with Ubuntu.
    >
    > Google doesn't seem to be telling me much that's useful. The power
    > management options provided under "Preferences" seem pretty basic, and
    > don't do much to improve things.
    >
    > Is there any way to tweak up the power management in Ubuntu?

    CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor Applet. This applet is enabled for user
    selection in some distros (Fedora 7/8 and Mandriva 2008, etc) but not in
    others (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, openSUSE, etc) and can be easily enabled
    by the following command:
    sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector
    or (if you are in root console mode)
    chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector

    The same code with '-s' puts it back to how it was.

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:07:32 +1100, Peter wrote:

    >> Is there any way to tweak up the power management in Ubuntu?
    >>

    > CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor Applet. This applet is enabled for user
    > selection in some distros (Fedora 7/8 and Mandriva 2008, etc) but not in
    > others (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, openSUSE, etc) and can be easily enabled
    > by the following command:
    > sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector or (if you are in root console
    > mode)
    > chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector
    >
    > The same code with '-s' puts it back to how it was.

    What exactly does this do?

    --
    Dale Beckett

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    Dale Beckett wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:07:32 +1100, Peter wrote:
    >

    >>> Is there any way to tweak up the power management in Ubuntu?
    >>>

    >> CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor Applet. This applet is enabled for user
    >> selection in some distros (Fedora 7/8 and Mandriva 2008, etc) but not in
    >> others (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, openSUSE, etc) and can be easily enabled
    >> by the following command:
    >> sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector or (if you are in root console
    >> mode)
    >> chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector
    >>
    >> The same code with '-s' puts it back to how it was.

    > What exactly does this do?

    http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/...uency-scaling/

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:18:06 -0600, User wrote:

    ..

    >> What exactly does this do?
    >>

    > http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/...uency-scaling/

    Thank you.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:29:16 +0100, Dale Beckett wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:18:06 -0600, User wrote:

    Okay, I did all these things and now have the Frequency Scaling Monitor
    on my top panel, giving me speed options from 800MHz to 1.7 GHz. But to
    be honest, I see no difference in battery life. I'm I missing something?

    --
    Dale Beckett

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    Dale Beckett wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:29:16 +0100, Dale Beckett wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:18:06 -0600, User wrote:
    >>

    > Okay, I did all these things and now have the Frequency Scaling Monitor
    > on my top panel, giving me speed options from 800MHz to 1.7 GHz. But to
    > be honest, I see no difference in battery life. I'm I missing something?

    Well, run your laptop/notebook in powersave mode or at 800Mhz (lowest
    available)
    and hope for the best. The less applications/programs/services and devices
    running on your machine, the less power you will use. Use "Powertop"
    program/utility to see what is running and using power on your machine
    and turn off as much as you can. You could also try another distro that
    offers better power management, e.g. openSUSE 10.2 (Gnome/KDE)/ 10.3
    (KDE and Gnome with an updated GPM package from their 10.3 Gnome STABLE
    repo) or SLED 10.1. SUSE/epenSUSE offer the ability to RETAIN your power
    policy choices, unlike the CPU FSM applet, which resets at every session.

  8. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 and power management

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:43:36 +1100, Peter wrote:

    > Dale Beckett wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:29:16 +0100, Dale Beckett wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:18:06 -0600, User wrote:
    >>>

    > I'm I missing
    >> something?

    > Well, run your laptop/notebook in powersave mode or at 800Mhz (lowest
    > available)
    > and hope for the best.

    Okay, thanks. I'll keep poking.

    --