Had to go from Gutsy back to Feisty (grumble grumble) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Had to go from Gutsy back to Feisty (grumble grumble) - Ubuntu ; My system is fairly old in computer terms. It's a 2001 vintage 1800+ with a Radeon 7000VE. Until yesterday I had a working copy of Gutsy Tribe 5 (this is a beta version for those not familiar with the naming ...

  1. Had to go from Gutsy back to Feisty (grumble grumble)

    My system is fairly old in computer terms. It's a 2001 vintage 1800+
    with a Radeon 7000VE. Until yesterday I had a working copy of Gutsy
    Tribe 5 (this is a beta version for those not familiar with the naming
    conventions). Unfortunately I was not able to install the full Gutsy (or
    FC 8, Gentoo, and a couple of other current distros). Until yesterday
    only the Gutsy beta would install and function unless I did certain
    updates. Last night I decided to update a couple of things and ended up
    installing the problematic ones as dependencies. I figured I'd just
    reinstall and everything would be fine. This afternoon I tried
    installing the Gutsy beta and then WTF!!! It started behaving like the
    current Gutsy. Specifically it froze after running /etc/rc.local scripts
    (went into graphics mode and dumped back out into text). After a bit of
    searching on the net I found something to try. Namely go into textmode
    ( ) login and see what happens if I try to start X manually. It
    came back with an error 140 - no valid modes. I was smart and made a
    copy of the previous working xorg.conf. So I restored the old one and no
    joy.

    Long story short... After wasting an afternoon I decided to go back one
    version. Now it works (sort of). Now I have to manually connect to the
    net in Gnome before I start KDE. I'm pretty much back to where I was before.

    The point is a question or three... I realise I'll probably have to
    update my video card (any recommendations?) before I can run something
    newer than Feisty. Has anybody else had this same problem? Am I on the
    right track or have I missed something? Is there *ANYTHING* I can do to
    tell this distro I'm not running a laptop?

    At least going back to Feisty has resulted in the machine no longer
    complaining I don't have Bluetooth connected. ;-)

    Later
    Mike

  2. Re: Had to go from Gutsy back to Feisty (grumble grumble)

    Have you considered using xubuntu instead? The lighter interface may
    help out your woes.

    The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    > My system is fairly old in computer terms. It's a 2001 vintage 1800+
    > with a Radeon 7000VE. Until yesterday I had a working copy of Gutsy
    > Tribe 5 (this is a beta version for those not familiar with the naming
    > conventions). Unfortunately I was not able to install the full Gutsy (or
    > FC 8, Gentoo, and a couple of other current distros). Until yesterday
    > only the Gutsy beta would install and function unless I did certain
    > updates. Last night I decided to update a couple of things and ended up
    > installing the problematic ones as dependencies. I figured I'd just
    > reinstall and everything would be fine. This afternoon I tried
    > installing the Gutsy beta and then WTF!!! It started behaving like the
    > current Gutsy. Specifically it froze after running /etc/rc.local scripts
    > (went into graphics mode and dumped back out into text). After a bit of
    > searching on the net I found something to try. Namely go into textmode
    > ( ) login and see what happens if I try to start X manually. It
    > came back with an error 140 - no valid modes. I was smart and made a
    > copy of the previous working xorg.conf. So I restored the old one and no
    > joy.
    >
    > Long story short... After wasting an afternoon I decided to go back one
    > version. Now it works (sort of). Now I have to manually connect to the
    > net in Gnome before I start KDE. I'm pretty much back to where I was before.
    >
    > The point is a question or three... I realise I'll probably have to
    > update my video card (any recommendations?) before I can run something
    > newer than Feisty. Has anybody else had this same problem? Am I on the
    > right track or have I missed something? Is there *ANYTHING* I can do to
    > tell this distro I'm not running a laptop?
    >
    > At least going back to Feisty has resulted in the machine no longer
    > complaining I don't have Bluetooth connected. ;-)
    >
    > Later
    > Mike

  3. Re: Had to go from Gutsy back to Feisty (grumble grumble)

    Justin E. Miller wrote:
    > Have you considered using xubuntu instead? The lighter interface may
    > help out your woes.

    Actually I run it on an older PPC iMac. It's good as long as it remains
    connected to the net. VLC and other programs don't run properly otherwise.

    For this machine it looks like it's something else. Until yesterday the
    Gutsy beta was fine. The machine isn't slow or underpowered for my
    needs. Since the hardware hasn't changed from the day before it must be
    a software issue. The consensus on the net seems to be the support for
    the video card is lacking. If this is indeed the case then going to
    Xubuntu won't solve the problem. AFAIK, *Ubuntu distros use the same
    base with different window managers or default packages.

    Later
    Mike

    > The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >> My system is fairly old in computer terms. It's a 2001 vintage 1800+
    >> with a Radeon 7000VE. Until yesterday I had a working copy of Gutsy
    >> Tribe 5 (this is a beta version for those not familiar with the naming
    >> conventions). Unfortunately I was not able to install the full Gutsy (or
    >> FC 8, Gentoo, and a couple of other current distros). Until yesterday
    >> only the Gutsy beta would install and function unless I did certain
    >> updates. Last night I decided to update a couple of things and ended up
    >> installing the problematic ones as dependencies. I figured I'd just
    >> reinstall and everything would be fine. This afternoon I tried
    >> installing the Gutsy beta and then WTF!!! It started behaving like the
    >> current Gutsy. Specifically it froze after running /etc/rc.local scripts
    >> (went into graphics mode and dumped back out into text). After a bit of
    >> searching on the net I found something to try. Namely go into textmode
    >> ( ) login and see what happens if I try to start X manually. It
    >> came back with an error 140 - no valid modes. I was smart and made a
    >> copy of the previous working xorg.conf. So I restored the old one and no
    >> joy.
    >>
    >> Long story short... After wasting an afternoon I decided to go
    >> back one
    >> version. Now it works (sort of). Now I have to manually connect to the
    >> net in Gnome before I start KDE. I'm pretty much back to where I was
    >> before.
    >>
    >> The point is a question or three... I realise I'll probably have to
    >> update my video card (any recommendations?) before I can run something
    >> newer than Feisty. Has anybody else had this same problem? Am I on the
    >> right track or have I missed something? Is there *ANYTHING* I can do to
    >> tell this distro I'm not running a laptop?
    >>
    >> At least going back to Feisty has resulted in the machine no longer
    >> complaining I don't have Bluetooth connected. ;-)
    >>
    >> Later
    >> Mike

+ Reply to Thread