Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PAN and/orapache - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PAN and/orapache - Ubuntu ; Im using PAN 0.120. When I look at my complete headers after posting I cant see my O/S listed there; it says "User-Agent: pan 0.120 (Plate of Shrimp)" Now this information must *be* somewhere but i don't know where to ...

  1. Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PAN and/orapache

    Im using PAN 0.120. When I look at my complete headers after posting I
    cant see my O/S listed there; it says "User-Agent: pan 0.120 (Plate of
    Shrimp)"

    Now this information must *be* somewhere but i don't know where to
    start to find it and change it.. tried googling but so far haven't turned
    anything up.

    I ask because I quite often have an FTP server set up and make it report
    as something like "Windows 2000 Build 1337" or something like that rather
    than incur the potential security risk (I believe) in revealing the full
    O/S name.

    I also ask about Apache because i cant find the bit where it may report
    something like Ubuntu version xxx especially in cases where a page isn't
    found on your server - it then reveals the whole o/s name.

    Id be more interested in hearing about PAN as i think in time I'll sort
    the Apache one.

    Cheers.

  2. Re: Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PANand/or apache

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:47:05 GMT, ODDity
    wrote:

    > Im using PAN 0.120. When I look at my complete headers after posting I
    > cant see my O/S listed there; it says "User-Agent: pan 0.120 (Plate of
    > Shrimp)"
    >
    > Now this information must *be* somewhere but i don't know where to
    > start to find it and change it.. tried googling but so far haven't turned
    > anything up.

    You can change the "User-Agent:" header by adding
    to the custom headers in your posting profile.

    > I ask because I quite often have an FTP server set up and make it report
    > as something like "Windows 2000 Build 1337" or something like that rather
    > than incur the potential security risk (I believe) in revealing the full
    > O/S name.
    >
    > I also ask about Apache because i cant find the bit where it may report
    > something like Ubuntu version xxx especially in cases where a page isn't
    > found on your server - it then reveals the whole o/s name.

    From my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:

    # ServerTokens
    # This directive configures what you return as the Server HTTP response
    # Header. The default is 'Full' which sends information about the OS-Type
    # and compiled in modules.
    # Set to one of: Full | OS | Minor | Minimal | Major | Prod
    # where Full conveys the most information, and Prod the least.
    #
    # ServerTokens Full
    ServerTokens Prod

    --
    PJR :-)

  3. Re: Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PANand/or apache

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:07:11 +0000, someone purporting to be Peter J Ross
    scrawled firmly:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:47:05 GMT, ODDity
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Im using PAN 0.120. When I look at my complete headers after posting I
    >> cant see my O/S listed there; it says "User-Agent: pan 0.120 (Plate of
    >> Shrimp)"
    >>
    >> Now this information must *be* somewhere but i don't know where to
    >> start to find it and change it.. tried googling but so far haven't turned
    >> anything up.

    > You can change the "User-Agent:" header by adding
    > to the custom headers in your posting profile.
    >
    >> I ask because I quite often have an FTP server set up and make it report
    >> as something like "Windows 2000 Build 1337" or something like that rather
    >> than incur the potential security risk (I believe) in revealing the full
    >> O/S name.
    >>
    >> I also ask about Apache because i cant find the bit where it may report
    >> something like Ubuntu version xxx especially in cases where a page isn't
    >> found on your server - it then reveals the whole o/s name.

    > From my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:
    >
    > # ServerTokens
    > # This directive configures what you return as the Server HTTP response
    > # Header. The default is 'Full' which sends information about the OS-Type
    > # and compiled in modules.
    > # Set to one of: Full | OS | Minor | Minimal | Major | Prod
    > # where Full conveys the most information, and Prod the least.
    > #
    > # ServerTokens Full
    > ServerTokens Prod

    ahh ha.. good work thanks for that!

    Using "Prod" in apache2.conf now gives (using loopback)

    "Apache Server at 127.0.0.1 Port 80" with the not found error above. Nice.

    I'd like to know if there's a way to spoof that, but i think I'll manage
    now i have the "Prod" variable.

    So with PAN - I cant find custom headers.. there are extra headers in my
    posting profile though and i put 'User-Agent: Unknown' in there to see but
    i dont think it'll do what i want. Where does it get 'pan 0.120 (Plate of
    Shrimp)'to put in my posting header i wonder...

    Cant thank you enough for taking the time to reply

    all the best

  4. Re: Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PANand/or apache

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:40:51 +0000, someone purporting to be ODDity
    scrawled firmly:

    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:07:11 +0000, someone purporting to be Peter J Ross
    > scrawled firmly:

    >> You can change the "User-Agent:" header by adding
    >> to the custom headers in your posting profile.
    >>

    > So with PAN - I cant find custom headers.. there are extra headers in my
    > posting profile though and i put 'User-Agent: Unknown' in there to see but
    > i dont think it'll do what i want. Where does it get 'pan 0.120 (Plate of
    > Shrimp)'to put in my posting header i wonder...
    >
    > Cant thank you enough for taking the time to reply
    >
    > all the best

    Well blow me it *has* worked!

    adding 'User-Agent: Unknown' to the "extra headers" box seems to change
    it.. im sorry to have doubted you!

    Unless you can take a look at my headers and tell me any different?

    Can i spoof an O/S in there somehow as well? Im thinking out loud now..
    much appreciated PJR

    Kind regards

  5. Re: Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PAN and/or apache

    "ODDity" wrote in message
    > Im using PAN 0.120. When I look at my complete headers after posting I
    > cant see my O/S listed there; it says "User-Agent: pan 0.120 (Plate of
    > Shrimp)"
    >
    > Now this information must *be* somewhere but i don't know where to
    > start to find it and change it.. tried googling but so far haven't turned
    > anything up.
    >
    > I ask because I quite often have an FTP server set up and make it report
    > as something like "Windows 2000 Build 1337" or something like that rather
    > than incur the potential security risk (I believe) in revealing the full
    > O/S name.
    >
    > I also ask about Apache because i cant find the bit where it may report
    > something like Ubuntu version xxx especially in cases where a page isn't
    > found on your server - it then reveals the whole o/s name.
    >
    > Id be more interested in hearing about PAN as i think in time I'll sort
    > the Apache one.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Its in the source code for Pan.

  6. Re: Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PANand/or apache

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:54:25 GMT, ODDity
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:40:51 +0000, someone purporting to be ODDity
    > scrawled firmly:
    >
    >> Where does it get 'pan 0.120 (Plate of
    >> Shrimp)'to put in my posting header i wonder...

    The default is set in the configure script that comes with the source
    code. If you're compiling from source you can set it there.

    <...>

    > Can i spoof an O/S in there somehow as well?

    Yes, but I don't recommend it unless you want to confuse and or annoy
    the kind of people who answer questions about newsreaders.

    --
    PJR :-)

  7. Re: Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PAN and/or apache

    ODDity wrote:

    > Im using PAN 0.120. When I look at my complete headers after posting I
    > cant see my O/S listed there; it says "User-Agent: pan 0.120 (Plate of
    > Shrimp)"
    >
    > Now this information must *be* somewhere but i don't know where to
    > start to find it and change it.. tried googling but so far haven't turned
    > anything up.
    >
    > I ask because I quite often have an FTP server set up and make it report
    > as something like "Windows 2000 Build 1337" or something like that rather
    > than incur the potential security risk (I believe) in revealing the full
    > O/S name.
    >
    > I also ask about Apache because i cant find the bit where it may report
    > something like Ubuntu version xxx especially in cases where a page isn't
    > found on your server - it then reveals the whole o/s name.

    A workaround is to create your own custom 404 error messages. Just
    create "404.html" and place it in the root of your webspace. This is a
    standard html file and can contain graphics if desired.

    Create a file called: .htaccess there also that contains the line**:

    ErrorDocument 404 http://yourdomain.com/404.html

    You can look at adding other custom error messages in a similar way,
    creating both the .htaccess entry for them and corresponding html error
    page.

    Some errors you might want to handle: 403,404,500

    ** If you already have an .htaccess file doing other things, just add the
    ErrorDocument line(s) to it as required.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  8. Re: Change Headers inc reported O/S and newsreader version PANand/or apache

    On 2008-02-15, ODDity hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Well blow me it *has* worked!
    >
    > adding 'User-Agent: Unknown' to the "extra headers" box seems to change
    > it.. im sorry to have doubted you!
    >
    > Unless you can take a look at my headers and tell me any different?

    I'm not PJR, but a quick look in your headers it indeed states
    "User Agent" Unknown.

    Dragomir Kollaric