printing from linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on printing from linux - Ubuntu ; Three questions: (1)Is there a newsgroup for linux printing? (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0 (3)Does there exist a simple step-by-step printer installation? Charles...

  1. printing from linux

    Three questions:
    (1)Is there a newsgroup for linux printing?
    (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0
    (3)Does there exist a simple step-by-step printer
    installation?
    Charles

  2. Re: printing from linux

    charles cashion wrote:

    > Three questions:
    > (1)Is there a newsgroup for linux printing?

    No clue

    > (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0

    "lp" exists and awaits your commands

    > (3)Does there exist a simple step-by-step printer
    > installation?

    Yes

    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

  3. Re: printing from linux

    Peter KŲhlmann wrote:
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >
    >> (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0

    > "lp" exists and awaits your commands

    I tried lp file.txt and got
    request id is 6mp-0 (1 file(s))
    I remember trying to make Linux talk to my 6mp printer,
    so I suspect I need to enter something to tell it to
    talk to a Canon i550. The Canon is plugged into the
    printer port on a desktop.

    How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?
    Charles

  4. Re: printing from linux

    charles cashion wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>
    >>> (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0

    >> "lp" exists and awaits your commands

    > I tried lp file.txt and got
    > request id is 6mp-0 (1 file(s))
    > I remember trying to make Linux talk to my 6mp printer,
    > so I suspect I need to enter something to tell it to
    > talk to a Canon i550. The Canon is plugged into the
    > printer port on a desktop.
    >
    > How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?
    > Charles

    man lp
    --
    Windows is just the instable version of Linux for users who are too
    dumb to handle the real thing

  5. Re: printing from linux

    On 2008-02-14, charles cashion hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>
    >>> (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0

    >> "lp" exists and awaits your commands

    > I tried lp file.txt and got
    > request id is 6mp-0 (1 file(s))
    > I remember trying to make Linux talk to my 6mp printer,
    > so I suspect I need to enter something to tell it to
    > talk to a Canon i550. The Canon is plugged into the
    > printer port on a desktop.
    >
    > How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?

    Turn it on :-)

    Well if you use a desktop like gnome/kde there is
    "Preferences" >> Printer

    Add new Printer (the tool will search and hopefully find it)
    and for the rest just follow the onscreen instructions.

    In case the above doesn't give the desired result:

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...num=Canon-i550

    > Charles

    Dragomir Kollaric

  6. Re: printing from linux

    charles cashion wrote:

    > How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?

    Unless there's a specific driver for your model ( /very/ unlikely with a
    Canon), you'll either have to use the linux printing suggestion of
    something "similar" or *buy* a specially built driver from

    http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

    Canon printers are notorious for being Linux-unfriendly, and Canon don't
    seem to want to provide support.

    C.

  7. Re: printing from linux

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:07:06 +0000, charles cashion wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>
    >>> (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0

    >> "lp" exists and awaits your commands

    > I tried lp file.txt and got
    > request id is 6mp-0 (1 file(s))
    > I remember trying to make Linux talk to my 6mp printer, so I suspect I
    > need to enter something to tell it to talk to a Canon i550. The Canon is
    > plugged into the printer port on a desktop.
    >
    > How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550? Charles

    You probably don't Canon is legendary for their lack of Linux support -
    they make decent boat anchors, and that's about it.

  8. Re: printing from linux

    paid for the Canon i960 drivers from TurboPrint and have had no problems
    printing text or color photos.

    ray

    "charles cashion" wrote in message
    > Three questions:
    > (1)Is there a newsgroup for linux printing?
    > (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0
    > (3)Does there exist a simple step-by-step printer
    > installation?
    > Charles

  9. Re: printing from linux

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Three questions:
    > (1)Is there a newsgroup for linux printing?
    > (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0
    > (3)Does there exist a simple step-by-step printer
    > installation?
    > Charles

    Hi Charles.

    If you want to use Canon printers on linux, install (turboprint)

    http://www.turboprint.de

    Try first buy later.

    It works.
    Keep smiling.

    Don.

  10. Re: printing from linux

    charles cashion wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>
    >>> (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0

    >> "lp" exists and awaits your commands

    > I tried lp file.txt and got
    > request id is 6mp-0 (1 file(s))
    > I remember trying to make Linux talk to my 6mp printer,
    > so I suspect I need to enter something to tell it to
    > talk to a Canon i550. The Canon is plugged into the
    > printer port on a desktop.
    >
    > How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?
    > Charles

    You'll need to install drivers for that Canon i550 printer. You can find
    them here ...

    http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/#canon

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  11. Re: printing from linux

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:21:04 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > charles cashion wrote:
    >
    >> How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?

    > Unless there's a specific driver for your model ( /very/ unlikely with a
    > Canon), you'll either have to use the linux printing suggestion of
    > something "similar" or *buy* a specially built driver from
    >
    > http://www.turboprint.de/english.html
    >
    > Canon printers are notorious for being Linux-unfriendly, and Canon don't
    > seem to want to provide support.
    >
    > C.

    Hmm. Wish you would have told me that earlier. Here I have been happily
    printing to my old Canon I860 for the past year. I guess Ubuntu doesn't
    know that it shouldn't print to it. Didn't have a problem getting it
    print under ubuntu 7.04 either. Just go to add printer.

  12. Re: printing from linux

    LittleGorm wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:21:04 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?

    >> Unless there's a specific driver for your model ( /very/ unlikely with a
    >> Canon), you'll either have to use the linux printing suggestion of
    >> something "similar" or *buy* a specially built driver from
    >>
    >> http://www.turboprint.de/english.html
    >>
    >> Canon printers are notorious for being Linux-unfriendly, and Canon don't
    >> seem to want to provide support.
    >>
    >> C.

    > Hmm. Wish you would have told me that earlier. Here I have been happily
    > printing to my old Canon I860 for the past year. I guess Ubuntu doesn't
    > know that it shouldn't print to it. Didn't have a problem getting it
    > print under ubuntu 7.04 either. Just go to add printer.

    You're lucky. /Most/ Canon stuff just isn't supported, and Canon are
    notorious for their lack of support. Most of the Canon MP series
    "all-in-one" machines just /don't/ work (and they're junk anyway!).

    C.

  13. Re: printing from linux

    > You're lucky. /Most/ Canon stuff just isn't supported, and Canon are
    > notorious for their lack of support. Most of the Canon MP series
    > "all-in-one" machines just /don't/ work (and they're junk anyway!).
    >
    > C.

    My Canon MP600R works well using either the Canon driver or Turboprint.
    Scanning is also supported, but you have to do a bit of work first.
    Incidentally, speaking as a professional engineer, I find this printer-
    scanner to be well made, versatile and good value.

    --
    Eric

  14. Re: printing from linux

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:07:06 +0000, charles cashion wrote:

    > Peter KŲhlmann wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>
    >>> (2)can plain text be printed using >dd file.txt lp0

    >> "lp" exists and awaits your commands

    > I tried lp file.txt and got
    > request id is 6mp-0 (1 file(s))
    > I remember trying to make Linux talk to my 6mp printer,
    > so I suspect I need to enter something to tell it to
    > talk to a Canon i550. The Canon is plugged into the
    > printer port on a desktop.
    >
    > How do I tell the OS that I am using a Canon i550?
    > Charles

    GUI way: System -> Administration -> Printing

    another GUI way: in web browser, enter "localhost:631" in the address
    window.

    CLI way: lpstat -p -d: lists printers and shows default
    lpoptions -d destination: sets "destination" as the default printer

    --
    MarkA
    Chairman, EAC Dept of Incompetent Cryptography

  15. Re: printing from linux

    Eric wrote:

    >> You're lucky. /Most/ Canon stuff just isn't supported, and Canon are
    >> notorious for their lack of support. Most of the Canon MP series
    >> "all-in-one" machines just /don't/ work (and they're junk anyway!).
    >>
    >> C.

    > My Canon MP600R works well using either the Canon driver or Turboprint.
    > Scanning is also supported, but you have to do a bit of work first.
    > Incidentally, speaking as a professional engineer, I find this printer-
    > scanner to be well made, versatile and good value.

    I had both the MP 360 and MP 390 (bought for the office in a rash moment),
    and /neither/ survived the warranty period. We got refunds for both of
    them when they'd each failed for the third time!

    C.

+ Reply to Thread