radeon 7000 driver - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on radeon 7000 driver - Ubuntu ; Running xubuntu 7.10 and all seems to work OK except the video. Google Earth runs at a snails pace. The card is too old for support at ATI has anyone here had sucess with this card and if so, where ...

  1. radeon 7000 driver

    Running xubuntu 7.10 and all seems to work OK except the video. Google
    Earth runs at a snails pace.
    The card is too old for support at ATI has anyone here had sucess with
    this card and if so, where can I get the proper driver?

    Thanks,
    Wendell

  2. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Wendell writes:

    > Running xubuntu 7.10 and all seems to work OK except the video. Google
    > Earth runs at a snails pace.
    > The card is too old for support at ATI has anyone here had sucess with
    > this card and if so, where can I get the proper driver?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wendell

    I just bought an NVidia geforce fx5200 with s-vid out for a small
    business I installed Linux for, for a measly 25 euro. I suggest
    you do the same and you will save yourself a fortune in time and effort.

    ps - Back to compiz:

    the widget layer is really cool. Pity the documentation is so poor.

  3. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Wendell wrote:

    > Running xubuntu 7.10 and all seems to work OK except the video. Google
    > Earth runs at a snails pace.
    > The card is too old for support at ATI has anyone here had sucess with
    > this card and if so, where can I get the proper driver?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wendell

    There is no other driver than the one that you have installed. There is only
    the Open Source driver for this card.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  4. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    NoStop said:
    > Wendell wrote:
    >
    > > Running xubuntu 7.10 and all seems to work OK except the video.
    > > Google Earth runs at a snails pace.
    > > The card is too old for support at ATI has anyone here had sucess
    > > with this card and if so, where can I get the proper driver?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Wendell

    > There is no other driver than the one that you have installed. There
    > is only the Open Source driver for this card.
    >
    > Cheers.

    A thought:
    Perhaps Wendell is on dial-up. That would explain google earth's
    slowness as well as a faulty graphics driver.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  5. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    > NoStop said:
    >> Wendell wrote:
    >>
    >> > Running xubuntu 7.10 and all seems to work OK except the video.
    >> > Google Earth runs at a snails pace.
    >> > The card is too old for support at ATI has anyone here had sucess
    >> > with this card and if so, where can I get the proper driver?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Wendell

    >> There is no other driver than the one that you have installed. There
    >> is only the Open Source driver for this card.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > A thought:
    > Perhaps Wendell is on dial-up. That would explain google earth's
    > slowness as well as a faulty graphics driver.
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard

    Well, he could post the output of glxgears and we'd all know his fps in 3d.
    I know the card, and it is old technology and not very fast by today's
    requirements.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  6. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    NoStop wrote:
    > Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop said:

    >>> There is no other driver than the one that you have installed. There
    >>> is only the Open Source driver for this card.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> A thought:
    >> Perhaps Wendell is on dial-up. That would explain google earth's
    >> slowness as well as a faulty graphics driver.
    >>
    >> Cybe R. Wizard

    > Well, he could post the output of glxgears and we'd all know his fps in 3d.
    > I know the card, and it is old technology and not very fast by today's
    > requirements.
    >
    > Cheers.

    I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:

    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    wendell@wendell-desktop:~$

    BTW google earth runs just fine in windoz 2K on this machine.

    Wendell

  7. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Wendell wrote:

    > I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >
    > Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    > Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    > wendell@wendell-desktop:~$
    >
    > BTW google earth runs just fine in windoz 2K on this machine.
    >

    > Wendell

    Have you tried Envy?

  8. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Derek Turner writes:

    > Wendell wrote:
    >
    >> I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >>
    >> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    >> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    >> wendell@wendell-desktop:~$
    >>
    >> BTW google earth runs just fine in windoz 2K on this machine.
    >>

    >> Wendell

    > Have you tried Envy?

    OK, I'll help:

    My development machine an intel core 2 duo 6750 with 2 gigs and an 8800gts video
    card. It has a gigybyte sata hard drive and a sata dvd burner.

    That should make him green!

  9. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Wendell wrote:
    >
    >> I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >>
    >> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    >> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    >> wendell@wendell-desktop:~$
    >>
    >> BTW google earth runs just fine in windoz 2K on this machine.
    >>

    >> Wendell

    > Have you tried Envy?

    Envy doen't recognize my elderly card.
    No big deal if I have to use video I.ll use a different box or the laptop.
    Not worth buying a new card. It's to hard to get them shipped here, and
    the local availability is somewhat wanting.

    Wendell

  10. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Wendell wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    >>> A thought:
    >>> Perhaps Wendell is on dial-up. That would explain google earth's
    >>> slowness as well as a faulty graphics driver.
    >>>
    >>> Cybe R. Wizard

    >> Well, he could post the output of glxgears and we'd all know his fps
    >> in 3d.
    >> I know the card, and it is old technology and not very fast by today's
    >> requirements.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >
    > Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    > Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    > wendell@wendell-desktop:~$

    I've got a Radeon 7000VE on an AMD 1800XP+, 768 of RAM with Kubuntu. My
    output is 1338 - 1349 frames in five seconds and a frame rate of 267.458
    - 268.097 FPS. At least this is something to compare it to. Hope this helps.

    Later
    Mike

  11. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    > Wendell wrote:
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Well, he could post the output of glxgears and we'd all know his fps
    >>> in 3d.
    >>> I know the card, and it is old technology and not very fast by today's
    >>> requirements.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >>
    >> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    >> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    >> wendell@wendell-desktop:~$

    > I've got a Radeon 7000VE on an AMD 1800XP+, 768 of RAM with Kubuntu. My
    > output is 1338 - 1349 frames in five seconds and a frame rate of 267.458
    > - 268.097 FPS. At least this is something to compare it to. Hope this
    > helps.
    >
    > Later
    > Mike

    Here's mine running nvidia card in a compiz-fusion environment ...

    16122 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3224.393 FPS
    15913 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3182.564 FPS
    16802 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3360.313 FPS

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  12. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Wendell wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    >>> A thought:
    >>> Perhaps Wendell is on dial-up. That would explain google earth's
    >>> slowness as well as a faulty graphics driver.
    >>>
    >>> Cybe R. Wizard

    >> Well, he could post the output of glxgears and we'd all know his fps in
    >> 3d. I know the card, and it is old technology and not very fast by
    >> today's requirements.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >
    > Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    > Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    > wendell@wendell-desktop:~$
    >
    > BTW google earth runs just fine in windoz 2K on this machine.
    >

    > Wendell

    Post your xorg.conf here. Looks like you aren't loading glx.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  13. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:02:53 +0000, someone purporting to be Derek Turner
    scrawled firmly:

    > Wendell wrote:
    >
    >> I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >>
    >> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    >> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    >> wendell@wendell-desktop:~$
    >>
    >> BTW google earth runs just fine in windoz 2K on this machine.
    >>

    >> Wendell

    > Have you tried Envy?

    3D Support or acceleration is not enabled on the card. You need to make
    sure the glx and dri modules are being loaded in xorg.conf, perhaps even
    some others as well.

    Use the radeon driver in your device section,

    include this section at the bottom of the file

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    Make sure you back up the file if it borks X afterwards:

    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.confbackup then you can at least
    get it back after viewing any error messages to use X to fix it.

  14. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    On 2008-02-14, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >> Envy doen't recognize my elderly card. No big deal if I
    >> have to use video I.ll use a different box or the laptop.
    >> Not worth buying a new card. It's to hard to get them
    >> shipped here, and the local availability is somewhat
    >> wanting.

    > Are you in prison?

    Hadron apparently thinks the *worst* of people :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric

  15. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    NoStop wrote:
    > Wendell wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Well, he could post the output of glxgears and we'd all know his fps in
    >>> 3d. I know the card, and it is old technology and not very fast by
    >>> today's requirements.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> I have a not killer speed DSL and the output of glxgears is:
    >>
    >> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    >> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    >> wendell@wendell-desktop:~$
    >>
    >> BTW google earth runs just fine in windoz 2K on this machine.
    >>

    >> Wendell

    > Post your xorg.conf here. Looks like you aren't loading glx.
    >
    > Cheers.

    How do I get the file to post it?

    Wendell

  16. Re: radeon 7000 driver

    Wendell illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > <....>
    > How do I get the file to post it?
    >
    > Wendell

    You need to open it in a text editor. Then copy the contents and paste
    it back into a response to No Stop's message

    The easy way to do this is to open a terminal window and either type
    or copy and past the following command

    How to do this will vary on desktop envionemt. (I'm posting three
    solutions here for the benefit of any other users following the thread
    thyat it may help)

    Gnome
    $ gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    KDE