What would be a good group - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on What would be a good group - Ubuntu ; to get help actually *using* ubuntu? There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows", "one-ups-manship" (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm ...

  1. What would be a good group

    to get help actually *using* ubuntu?

    There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by me).
    This seems to be much more of a "bash windows", "one-ups-manship" (i.e.
    mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm not going to tell you" group
    than an advocacy group. Is there a good *USER* forum (either usenet or html
    based)?

    Thanks in advance.

    Ed

  2. Re: What would be a good group

    http://ubuntuforums.org/

    --
    David

  3. Re: What would be a good group

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A4398825DCD5louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >* Ed Edelenbos wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> to get help actually *using* ubuntu?
    >>
    >> There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by
    >> me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows", "one-ups-manship"
    >> (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm not going to tell
    >> you" group than an advocacy group. Is there a good *USER* forum
    >> (either usenet or html based)?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>

    > http://ubuntuforums.org/
    >
    > --
    > David

    Wow... quick and spot on. Thank you very much.

    Ed

  4. Re: What would be a good group

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    Subject: What would be a good group
    > to get help actually *using* ubuntu?

    How to write a question to a newsgroup.

    Do not start a new post with the subject (if you don't know how to make
    a subject and a body). For learning purposes, first create your
    question with sufficient background for understanding in the *BODY* of
    your message. The body should be composed of all complete sentences.
    After you have completely finished writing the body, then you should
    give you body a subject which is short, succinct, and accurately
    entitles what the body is about. It does not need to be in complete
    sentences; it should be structured as a 'title' about the body.

    > There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by
    > me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows",
    > "one-ups-manship" (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm
    > not going to tell you" group than an advocacy group. Is there a good
    > *USER* forum (either usenet or html based)?

    If you can't stand the 'variability' in newsgroups or filter those posts
    you don't want to read either manually, algorithmically, or mentally --
    then you should go to a forum where the moderators will moderate things
    for you.

    The Ub forums are a very busy place; much busier than this newsgroup
    and there are a lot of very helpful people posting there
    http://ubuntuforums.org/

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: What would be a good group

    "Ed Edelenbos" said:
    > to get help actually *using* ubuntu?
    >
    > There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by
    > me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows",
    > "one-ups-manship" (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm
    > not going to tell you" group than an advocacy group. Is there a good
    > *USER* forum (either usenet or html based)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ed

    See below.
    It's not HTML nor Usenet, but it is the most helpful and non-judgmental
    spot for Ubuntu help I've found.

    ubuntu-users mailing list
    ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  6. Re: What would be a good group

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > Subject: What would be a good group
    >> to get help actually *using* ubuntu?

    > How to write a question to a newsgroup.
    >
    > Do not start a new post with the subject (if you don't know how to make
    > a subject and a body). For learning purposes, first create your
    > question with sufficient background for understanding in the *BODY* of
    > your message. The body should be composed of all complete sentences.
    > After you have completely finished writing the body, then you should
    > give you body a subject which is short, succinct, and accurately
    > entitles what the body is about. It does not need to be in complete
    > sentences; it should be structured as a 'title' about the body.
    >
    >> There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by
    >> me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows",
    >> "one-ups-manship" (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm
    >> not going to tell you" group than an advocacy group. Is there a good
    >> *USER* forum (either usenet or html based)?

    > If you can't stand the 'variability' in newsgroups or filter those posts
    > you don't want to read either manually, algorithmically, or mentally --
    > then you should go to a forum where the moderators will moderate things
    > for you.
    >
    > The Ub forums are a very busy place; much busier than this newsgroup
    > and there are a lot of very helpful people posting there
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks!

  7. Re: What would be a good group

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated
    > by me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows",
    > "one-ups-manship" (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but
    > I'm not going to tell you" group than an advocacy group. Is
    > there a good *USER* forum (either usenet or html based)?

    Just stick around and PLONK the bashers and one-uppers. Then their
    nonsense will no longer annoy you, and you can concentrate on the
    useful users.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: What would be a good group

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:57:21 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > to get help actually *using* ubuntu?
    >
    > There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by
    > me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows", "one-ups-manship"
    > (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm not going to tell
    > you" group than an advocacy group. Is there a good *USER* forum (either
    > usenet or html based)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ed

    Ubuntu supports user forums. If you can stand the idiots, keep posting
    here - you'll get a few usable responses.

  9. Re: What would be a good group

    On 2008-02-13, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > to get help actually *using* ubuntu?
    >
    > There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by me).
    > This seems to be much more of a "bash windows", "one-ups-manship" (i.e.
    > mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm not going to tell you" group
    > than an advocacy group. Is there a good *USER* forum (either usenet or html
    > based)?

    There seems to be a little more noise here than there used to be :-)
    Somebody has already suggested the ubuntu forums so perhaps I could
    also suggest linuxquestions:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/

    All the best,

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  10. Re: What would be a good group

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > Subject: What would be a good group
    >> to get help actually *using* ubuntu?

    > How to write a question to a newsgroup.
    >
    > Do not start a new post with the subject (if you don't know how to make
    > a subject and a body). For learning purposes, first create your
    > question with sufficient background for understanding in the *BODY* of
    > your message. The body should be composed of all complete sentences.
    > After you have completely finished writing the body, then you should
    > give *you* body a subject which is short, succinct, and accurately
    > entitles what the body is about. It does not need to be in complete
    > sentences; it should be structured as a 'title' about the body.

    Should that not be *your*

    Ram

  11. Re: What would be a good group

    Ram wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> After you have completely finished writing the body, then
    >> you should give *you* body a subject which is short, succinct, and
    >> accurately entitles what the body is about. It does not need to be
    >> in complete *sentences*; it should be structured as a 'title' about
    >> the body.
    >>

    > Should that not be *your*

    Yes. I'm so long-winded that by the time I get done typing, I'm ready
    to hit Send and I don't even feel like (proof)reading what I wrote;
    much less trying to put it into less words.

    And the subject doesn't even need to be in a/one complete sentence, much
    less 'sentences' now starred above.

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: What would be a good group

    www.ubuntuforums.org

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  13. Re: What would be a good group

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:33:02 +1100
    andrew wrote:

    > There seems to be a little more noise here than there used to be :-)

    Too many ex-win guys.

    --
    :-)

  14. Re: What would be a good group

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:11:26 -0800
    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    Mike, I had to top post for the fun of it, you little sick #@%&.

    > How to write a question to a newsgroup.
    >
    > Do not start a new post with the subject (if you don't know how to
    > make a subject and a body). For learning purposes, first create your
    > question with sufficient background for understanding in the *BODY* of
    > your message. The body should be composed of all complete sentences.
    > After you have completely finished writing the body, then you should
    > give you body a subject which is short, succinct, and accurately
    > entitles what the body is about. It does not need to be in complete
    > sentences; it should be structured as a 'title' about the body.

    --
    :-)

  15. Re: What would be a good group

    Holz wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:33:02 +1100
    > andrew wrote:
    >
    >> There seems to be a little more noise here than there used to be :-)

    > Too many ex-win guys.

    Problem isn't so much the ex-win guys as the non-Linux guys. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  16. Re: What would be a good group

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:57:21 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > to get help actually *using* ubuntu?
    >
    > There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by
    > me). This seems to be much more of a "bash windows", "one-ups-manship"
    > (i.e. mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm not going to tell
    > you" group than an advocacy group. Is there a good *USER* forum (either
    > usenet or html based)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ed

    You might want to try:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/
    and
    http://forums.pcworld.com/community/...gsystems/linux
    The PCworld forum is quite good and does not have the turnover that
    ubuntu forums has, i.e. a bit slower.

  17. Re: What would be a good group

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:13:56 -0800, Holz wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:33:02 +1100
    > andrew wrote:
    >
    >> There seems to be a little more noise here than there used to be :-)

    > Too many ex-win guys.

    I've always figured that the vast majority of Linuxers are ex-Win folks.

    --

    "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
    - Henry Spencer

  18. Re: What would be a good group

    firebrand schreef:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:13:56 -0800, Holz wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:33:02 +1100
    >> andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> There seems to be a little more noise here than there used to be :-)

    >> Too many ex-win guys.

    > I've always figured that the vast majority of Linuxers are ex-Win folks.

    Sure.
    But some keep more than others longing for their jealous ex
    Instead of having perverted dreams of the shackles they shed they should
    open their eyes and enjoy the freedom and beauty that comes with their
    new OS.

  19. Re: What would be a good group

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Ed Edelenbos had the audacity to say that:

    > to get help actually *using* ubuntu?
    >
    > There are a couple helpful people here (who are truly appreciated by me).
    > This seems to be much more of a "bash windows", "one-ups-manship" (i.e.
    > mines bigger than yours), and "I know but I'm not going to tell you" group
    > than an advocacy group. Is there a good *USER* forum (either usenet or html
    > based)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ed

    You can form your own virtual group, by filtering out all but the authors
    you want to read. This is doable in most newsreaders. Volume will be less
    but S/N ratio will be high.

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!