fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint) - Ubuntu ; I understand that the fluxbox and XFCE editions of linux mint are less resource hungry. But (from my standpoint of total ignorance) how to choose between them? Also, I'd like to see a distinction drawn between memory and processor resources ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    I understand that the fluxbox and XFCE editions of linux mint are less
    resource hungry. But (from my standpoint of total ignorance) how to
    choose between them? Also, I'd like to see a distinction drawn between
    memory and processor resources when it is easier to beef up the ram
    than the processor speed.

    From the users point of view, how would the fluxbox and XFCE editions
    of linux mint (both based on Ubuntu 7.1) differ?

  2. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:16:15 +0000, John Savage wrote:

    > I understand that the fluxbox and XFCE editions of linux mint are less
    > resource hungry. But (from my standpoint of total ignorance) how to
    > choose between them?

    Install them both and try them out?

    > Also, I'd like to see a distinction drawn between
    > memory and processor resources when it is easier to beef up the ram than
    > the processor speed.
    >
    > From the users point of view, how would the fluxbox and XFCE editions of
    > linux mint (both based on Ubuntu 7.1) differ?

  3. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    John Savage wrote:
    > I understand that the fluxbox and XFCE editions of linux mint are less
    > resource hungry.

    Than what?

    > But (from my standpoint of total ignorance) how to
    > choose between them?

    Simple, based on your requirements.

    > From the users point of view, how would the fluxbox and XFCE editions
    > of linux mint (both based on Ubuntu 7.1) differ?

    One uses Xfce and one uses fluxbox.

    You do know this is an Ubuntu NG, not a Mint NG?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > You do know this is an Ubuntu NG, not a Mint NG?

    there is no mint ng, probably because mint is just an extremely good
    derivative of ubuntu.

  5. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > there is no mint ng, probably because mint is just an extremely good
    > derivative of ubuntu.

    Then ask the Mint developer(s) or at their forums. This seems to be a
    specific Mint question.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  6. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    Derek Turner writes:

    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> You do know this is an Ubuntu NG, not a Mint NG?
    >>

    > there is no mint ng, probably because mint is just an extremely good
    > derivative of ubuntu.

    But again, this is not a Mint NG. If you chose Mint then you should use
    the Mint forums.

  7. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > Derek Turner writes:
    >
    >> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>
    >>> You do know this is an Ubuntu NG, not a Mint NG?
    >>>

    >> there is no mint ng, probably because mint is just an extremely good
    >> derivative of ubuntu.

    > But again, this is not a Mint NG. If you chose Mint then you should use
    > the Mint forums.

    Y'know I'm a complete newb... so I'm already defined as an idiot in your
    book.... but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you know where the
    mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you tell them if they need
    to pee they better find it?

    That doesn't apply to just you. What is it about usenet that makes being
    rude ok?

    Ed

  8. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you
    > know where the mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you
    > tell them if they need to pee they better find it?

    Alert alert -- topic drift ahead....

    I have a friend who believes or whatever the right verb is, that anyone
    who walks into a bar or restaurant who can't tell/sense/divine where the
    restrooms are to be found from the overall layout or design of the place
    seen upon entering, is so stupid that they shouldn't be allowed to go
    out in public.

    Don't ask me why he feels that way, but I make it a point to never ask
    him if he knows where the men's room is.

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    "Ed Edelenbos" writes:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> Derek Turner writes:

    >>> there is no mint ng, probably because mint is just an extremely good
    >>> derivative of ubuntu.

    >> But again, this is not a Mint NG. If you chose Mint then you should use
    >> the Mint forums.

    > Y'know I'm a complete newb... so I'm already defined as an idiot in your
    > book.... but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you know
    > where the

    You give yourself too much credit. I don't know who you are. I was just
    trying to point you in the right direction.

    > mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you tell them if they need
    > to pee they better find it?

    Erm, no. I point them to the mens room. Its over there in the Mint
    forums .....

    > That doesn't apply to just you. What is it about usenet that makes being
    > rude ok?
    >
    > Ed

    In what way is anything above rude? I agree that somethings MIGHT be
    Ubuntu related. But the fact is you are NOT using Ubuntu. You are using
    Mint. So go to the Mint forums. If they can not help try here.

    Seriously. Not being rude. I am trying to help.

    You try asking a Ubuntu question in #Debian on IRC and see how far you
    get. *chuckle*.

    I agree its a pain. And causes fragmentation. But thats part of the deal
    for Free and free and hundreds of Distros IMO.

  10. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    On 2008-02-13, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > Y'know I'm a complete newb... so I'm already defined as an idiot in your
    > book.... but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you know where the
    > mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you tell them if they need
    > to pee they better find it?
    >
    > That doesn't apply to just you. What is it about usenet that makes being
    > rude ok?

    How is it rude to tell someone that their question has a much better
    chance of an accurate response somewhere else? Seems quite civil to
    me. It's the same reason people do not generally ask Debian specific
    questions in here, even though Ubuntu is just a (good, imo) derivative
    of Debian.

    There may be no Mint newsgroup, but Mint does have forums where people
    that use Mint hang out, along with some of the developers, and
    therefore there is a better chance of getting a quality answer to a
    Mint specific question.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  11. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    John Savage wrote:
    > I understand that the fluxbox and XFCE editions of linux mint are less
    > resource hungry.

    I have Mint4 (the regular, main, gnome edition) installed on a box which
    I'm also running Linspire2, Mepis7, & Ub71.0 and the Ub has an alternate
    session for gOS1.

    That install has a .pdf on its desktop called Daryna User Guide. That
    guide has some information about the various Mint editions which sez:

    An Edition is a release of Linux Mint which is customized to address a
    certain need. Here are the most popular editions:
    - Main Edition
    - Light Edition (same as the Main Edition but without multimedia
    codecs and patented technologies, specialized mostly for the US and
    Japan where patent legislation is enforceable)
    - KDE Community Edition (uses a KDE desktop)
    - XFCE Community Edition (uses an XFCE desktop)
    - miniCD Community Edition (fits on a 350MB miniCD)
    - Fluxbox Edition (extremely lightweight for older computers)

    > But (from my standpoint of total ignorance) how to
    > choose between them?

    Where is the part where you are trying to describe your hardware and why
    you are thinking about something between the XFCE vs the Fluxbox. We
    might be left to assume that there is some 'less than optimal' hardware
    situation, but not necessarily, and that would be an important
    consideration between the XFCE & the Fluxbox. The fluxbox is going to
    run a lot lighter.

    > Also, I'd like to see a distinction drawn between
    > memory and processor resources when it is easier to beef up the ram
    > than the processor speed.

    I guess we are supposed to interpret that sentence as meaning that you
    have hardware X and you are considering boosting its ram to hardware Y.
    Why are you keeping all of these secrets?

    > From the users point of view, how would the fluxbox and XFCE editions
    > of linux mint (both based on Ubuntu 7.1) differ?

    It looks to me like Mint developers have decided to make the fluxbox
    edition, which would be lighter anyway, even lighter by not making it a
    community edition.

    What is your hardware? What have you tried on it?

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:34:13 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    >> But again, this is not a Mint NG. If you chose Mint then you should use
    >> the Mint forums.

    > book.... but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you know where the
    > mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you tell them if they need
    > to pee they better find it?
    >
    > That doesn't apply to just you. What is it about usenet that makes being
    > rude ok?

    You Win-droids have such thin skin.

    Bugger off.

  13. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > On 2008-02-13, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> Y'know I'm a complete newb... so I'm already defined as an idiot in your
    >> book.... but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you know where
    >> the
    >> mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you tell them if they
    >> need
    >> to pee they better find it?
    >>
    >> That doesn't apply to just you. What is it about usenet that makes being
    >> rude ok?

    > How is it rude to tell someone that their question has a much better
    > chance of an accurate response somewhere else? Seems quite civil to
    > me. It's the same reason people do not generally ask Debian specific
    > questions in here, even though Ubuntu is just a (good, imo) derivative
    > of Debian.
    >
    > There may be no Mint newsgroup, but Mint does have forums where people
    > that use Mint hang out, along with some of the developers, and
    > therefore there is a better chance of getting a quality answer to a
    > Mint specific question.

    Is it really so hard to say;

    Try here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/ you are liable to get better

    ???

    It takes about the same time as a brushoff response. If all someone is
    going to say is "you'd get a better response in a mint forum", isn't the
    time better spent moving to the next message (or by reading the subject
    line, bypassing the question altogether?) I'm trying to understand so some
    day I can be a good ubuntu-er. Whatever happened to offering some real
    help?

    Ed

  14. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    "Ed Edelenbos" writes:

    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-02-13, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >>> Y'know I'm a complete newb... so I'm already defined as an idiot in your
    >>> book.... but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you know where
    >>> the
    >>> mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you tell them if they
    >>> need
    >>> to pee they better find it?
    >>>
    >>> That doesn't apply to just you. What is it about usenet that makes being
    >>> rude ok?

    >> How is it rude to tell someone that their question has a much better
    >> chance of an accurate response somewhere else? Seems quite civil to
    >> me. It's the same reason people do not generally ask Debian specific
    >> questions in here, even though Ubuntu is just a (good, imo) derivative
    >> of Debian.
    >>
    >> There may be no Mint newsgroup, but Mint does have forums where people
    >> that use Mint hang out, along with some of the developers, and
    >> therefore there is a better chance of getting a quality answer to a
    >> Mint specific question.
    >>

    > Is it really so hard to say;
    >
    > Try here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/ you are liable to get better

    is it really so hard for you to google that up yourself? YOU'RE the one
    using Mint. Not the others here. It's not the Ubuntu groups job to find
    the resources you need. I certainly never know that address,

    > ???
    >
    > It takes about the same time as a brushoff response. If all someone is
    > going to say is "you'd get a better response in a mint forum", isn't the
    > time better spent moving to the next message (or by reading the subject
    > line, bypassing the question altogether?) I'm trying to understand so some
    > day I can be a good ubuntu-er. Whatever happened to offering some real
    > help?

    Try asking in the right place.

    Would you expect a Mercedes mechanic to fix your BMW?

  15. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "Ed Edelenbos" writes:
    >
    >> "Joe" wrote in message

    >>> How is it rude to tell someone that their question has a much better
    >>> chance of an accurate response somewhere else? Seems quite civil to
    >>> me. It's the same reason people do not generally ask Debian specific
    >>> questions in here, even though Ubuntu is just a (good, imo) derivative
    >>> of Debian.
    >>>
    >>> There may be no Mint newsgroup, but Mint does have forums where people
    >>> that use Mint hang out, along with some of the developers, and
    >>> therefore there is a better chance of getting a quality answer to a
    >>> Mint specific question.
    >>>

    >> Is it really so hard to say;
    >>
    >> Try here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/ you are liable to get better

    > is it really so hard for you to google that up yourself? YOU'RE the one
    > using Mint.

    Actually, *I* installed Ubuntu so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
    I googled it up just fine... in less time than it took you to type up "is
    it really so hard for you to google that up yourself? YOU'RE the one using
    Mint." You spend plenty of time on this group. Wouldn't it be time better
    spent if you came up with something useful?

    > Not the others here. It's not the Ubuntu groups job to find
    > the resources you need. I certainly never know that address,
    >

    >> ???
    >>
    >> It takes about the same time as a brushoff response. If all someone is
    >> going to say is "you'd get a better response in a mint forum", isn't the
    >> time better spent moving to the next message (or by reading the subject
    >> line, bypassing the question altogether?) I'm trying to understand so
    >> some
    >> day I can be a good ubuntu-er. Whatever happened to offering some real
    >> help?

    > Try asking in the right place.
    >
    > Would you expect a Mercedes mechanic to fix your BMW?

    No but most mechanics I know are polite enough to know who would be a good
    choice. I think the big differences are; you talk to them face to face and
    they aren't hiding behind a moniker and a computer screen. Well, that and
    with the manners displayed by some here, they wouldn't stay in business
    long.

    Ed

  16. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    "Ed Edelenbos" writes:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "Ed Edelenbos" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Joe" wrote in message

    >>> Is it really so hard to say;
    >>>
    >>> Try here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/ you are liable to get better

    >> is it really so hard for you to google that up yourself? YOU'RE the one
    >> using Mint.

    > Actually, *I* installed Ubuntu so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
    > I googled it up just fine... in less time than it took you to type up "is
    > it really so hard for you to google that up yourself? YOU'RE the one using
    > Mint." You spend plenty of time on this group. Wouldn't it be time better
    > spent if you came up with something useful?

    I usually do if its the right group. To be honest you have me confused
    now. But regardless, this is NOT the group to ask about Mint. You can go
    on all you like, but a simple google takes whoever to the correct
    place. It isn't rocket science. Or will you field Edubuntu specific
    questions or Debian Unstable questions here too?

    >> Not the others here. It's not the Ubuntu groups job to find
    >> the resources you need. I certainly never know that address,
    >>

    >>> ???
    >>>
    >>> It takes about the same time as a brushoff response. If all someone is
    >>> going to say is "you'd get a better response in a mint forum", isn't the
    >>> time better spent moving to the next message (or by reading the subject
    >>> line, bypassing the question altogether?) I'm trying to understand so
    >>> some
    >>> day I can be a good ubuntu-er. Whatever happened to offering some real
    >>> help?

    >> Try asking in the right place.
    >>
    >> Would you expect a Mercedes mechanic to fix your BMW?

    > No but most mechanics I know are polite enough to know who would be a good
    > choice.

    Yes, a BMW one. Go find one as I dont know of one as I dont have or
    service BMWs.

    What is so tricky here?

  17. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you
    >> know where the mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you
    >> tell them if they need to pee they better find it?

    > Alert alert -- topic drift ahead....
    >
    > I have a friend who believes or whatever the right verb is, that anyone
    > who walks into a bar or restaurant who can't tell/sense/divine where the
    > restrooms are to be found from the overall layout or design of the place
    > seen upon entering, is so stupid that they shouldn't be allowed to go
    > out in public.
    >
    > Don't ask me why he feels that way, but I make it a point to never ask
    > him if he knows where the men's room is.

    He's absolutely right. Assuming the persons eyes work, then how hard
    is it to find the correct room in a 3-4 room public building?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  18. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    On 2008-02-14, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > Is it really so hard to say;
    >
    > Try here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/ you are liable to get better
    >
    > ???
    >
    > It takes about the same time as a brushoff response. If all someone is
    > going to say is "you'd get a better response in a mint forum", isn't the
    > time better spent moving to the next message (or by reading the subject
    > line, bypassing the question altogether?) I'm trying to understand so some
    > day I can be a good ubuntu-er. Whatever happened to offering some real
    > help?

    If he'd done the minimal amount of research to go to the Mint site in
    the first place, he'd get all the help he needs. This is free
    support. You get what you pay for.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  19. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > but if you are at a bar and someone asks you if you know where the
    > mens room is, do you point them towards it or do you tell them if they need
    > to pee they better find it?

    Horrible analogy. He didn't ask where was the "men's room". Anyway,
    nobody said find it; looks to me we all told the OP to use the Mint forums.

    > That doesn't apply to just you. What is it about usenet that makes being
    > rude ok?

    Nobody was rude; brother, you're too thin-skinned.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  20. Re: fluxbox vs XFCE (linux mint)

    In Joe:

    [Snip...]

    > You get what you pay for

    Weird's Usenet SOP: Do not cast or demand pearls among the swine.

    IOW: Not happy? Inquire elsewhere, or learn to use a phrickin' scorefile.

    FWIW: Anybody still honestly believe Usenet is a *FREE* 24/7/365 HellDesk?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast