Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP? - Ubuntu ; Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop Edition plus Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the "AMP" displace the standard desktop apps? *TimDaniels*...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

  1. Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop
    Edition plus Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the
    "AMP" displace the standard desktop apps?

    *TimDaniels*

  2. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop
    > Edition plus Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the
    > "AMP" displace the standard desktop apps?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    That info is easily available on their web-site.

  3. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop
    > Edition plus Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the
    > "AMP" displace the standard desktop apps?

    I have Ubuntu Server on one machine at home and whatever was't there
    when I installed is now there from the standard repositories.
    Even KDE and multimedia stuff.

    AFAIR there was no graphics stuff installed, but, again, there is
    nothing that prevents one from installing KDE or Gnome.

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  4. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Josef Moellers" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop
    >> Edition plus Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the
    >> "AMP" displace the standard desktop apps?

    > I have Ubuntu Server on one machine at home and whatever was't there when I
    > installed is now there from the standard repositories.
    > Even KDE and multimedia stuff.
    >
    > AFAIR there was no graphics stuff installed, but, again, there is nothing that
    > prevents one from installing KDE or Gnome.
    >
    > Josef

    Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    *TimDaniels*

  5. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Timothy Daniels" writes:

    > "Josef Moellers" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop
    >>> Edition plus Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the
    >>> "AMP" displace the standard desktop apps?

    >> I have Ubuntu Server on one machine at home and whatever was't there when I
    >> installed is now there from the standard repositories.
    >> Even KDE and multimedia stuff.
    >>
    >> AFAIR there was no graphics stuff installed, but, again, there is nothing that
    >> prevents one from installing KDE or Gnome.
    >>
    >> Josef

    > Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    > forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    > the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    > would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    > need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    It might have escaped your attention, but you can download and install
    programs in Windows too.

  6. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Derek Turner" shared his "expertise":
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop
    >> Edition plus Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the
    >> "AMP" displace the standard desktop apps?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > That info is easily available on their web-site.

    If "their" is Ubuntu.com's, what is listed on this page
    doesn't say much:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati.../serveredition

    *TimDaniels*

  7. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Hadron wrote:

    > "Timothy Daniels" writes:

    >>> I have Ubuntu Server on one machine at home and whatever was't there
    >>> when I installed is now there from the standard repositories.
    >>> Even KDE and multimedia stuff.
    >>>
    >>> AFAIR there was no graphics stuff installed, but, again, there is
    >>> nothing that prevents one from installing KDE or Gnome.
    >>>
    >>> Josef

    >> Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    >> forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    >> the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    >> would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    >> need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    > It might have escaped your attention, but you can download and install
    > programs in Windows too.

    I thought Windows could do that all by itself. Seems to be good at picking
    up malware without user intervention.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  8. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:41:30 -0800, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Derek Turner" shared his "expertise":
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Is the Ubuntu Server Edition just the standard Desktop Edition plus
    >>> Apache, MySQL, and PHP? Or does the "AMP" displace the standard
    >>> desktop apps?
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> That info is easily available on their web-site.

    > If "their" is Ubuntu.com's, what is listed on this page doesn't say
    > much:
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati.../serveredition

    To quote from that URL:

    "In around 15 minutes, the time it takes to install Ubuntu Server
    Edition, you can have a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) server up and
    ready to go. This feature, exclusive to Ubuntu Server Edition, is
    available at the time of installation."

    What more do you need to know?

    I would suggest you do some post install configuration, such as setting
    up passwords on MySQL as a minimum.

    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9

  9. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    NoStop writes:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    >>> forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    >>> the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    >>> would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    >>> need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    >> It might have escaped your attention, but you can download and install
    >> programs in Windows too.

    > I thought Windows could do that all by itself. Seems to be good at picking
    > up malware without user intervention.

    You're in good fooling today M'lord.

  10. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    NoStop wrote:

    > I thought Windows could do that all by itself. Seems to be good at picking
    > up malware without user intervention.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Liar!
    Frank

  11. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Frank wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >

    >> I thought Windows could do that all by itself. Seems to be good at
    >> picking
    >> up malware without user intervention.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Liar!
    > Frank

    You are, that's nice to know.

    Ram

  12. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Frank wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >

    >> I thought Windows could do that all by itself. Seems to be good at
    >> picking up malware without user intervention.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Liar!
    > Frank

    Oh, I see, your mommy let you back on the computer again. Thought she'd sent
    you out to play on the freeway? Oh well. Welcome back. Now play nice!

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  13. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    On 2008-02-13, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    > forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    > the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    > would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    > need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

    -or-

    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "prawn" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> That info is easily available on their web-site.

    >> If "their" is Ubuntu.com's, what is listed on this page doesn't say
    >> much:
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati.../serveredition

    > To quote from that URL:
    >
    > "In around 15 minutes, the time it takes to install Ubuntu Server
    > Edition, you can have a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP)
    > server up and ready to go. This feature, exclusive to Ubuntu Server
    > Edition, is available at the time of installation."
    >
    > What more do you need to know?
    >
    > I would suggest you do some post install configuration, such as setting
    > up passwords on MySQL as a minimum.

    I'd hope to know if office productivity apps and CD/DVD authoring
    utilities were on the installation DVD, for example. Just saying that
    Apache and MySQL and PHP are there doesn't say more than that
    Apache and MySQL and PHP are there.

    Setting up passwords for the MySQL server would not be unnecessary
    from a security standpoint because the only client app would be in the
    same computer, and the only user would be me. This sever would
    never be seen by the Internet or any LAN.

    *TimDaniels*

  15. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Joe" wrote:
    >"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    >> forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    >> the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    >> would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    >> need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.
    >>

    > sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    >
    > -or-
    >
    > sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    I give up. What do those command lines do,
    and when should they be issued?

    *TimDaniels*

  16. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Timothy Daniels" writes:

    > "Joe" wrote:
    >>"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    >>> forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    >>> the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    >>> would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    >>> need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.
    >>>

    >> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    >>
    >> -or-
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    > I give up. What do those command lines do,
    > and when should they be issued?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    www.google.com

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/admin/sudo

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGetHowto

    If you ask what "root privileges are" next, then you're on your own ....

    I'm interested in these "scripts" that you will write. What will they
    do? ....

  17. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    On 2008-02-14, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    >>
    >> -or-
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    > I give up. What do those command lines do,
    > and when should they be issued?

    They are pretty self-explanatory. After you install the server
    edition, you'll be at a command prompt. Those commands will install
    the ubuntu or kubuntu desktop environments (gnome or kde),
    respectively. You need an active internet connection to get the up to
    date versions of everything...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  18. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Joe" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    >>>
    >>> -or-
    >>>
    >>> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    >> I give up. What do those command lines do,
    >> and when should they be issued?

    > They are pretty self-explanatory. After you install the server
    > edition, you'll be at a command prompt. Those commands
    > will install the ubuntu or kubuntu desktop environments (gnome
    > or kde), respectively. You need an active internet connection
    > to get the up to date versions of everything...

    OK. Installing with a connection to the Internet involved
    will be a new experience. Thanks for clearing that up.

    *TimDaniels*

  19. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Hadron" wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" writes:

    >>> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    >>>
    >>> -or-
    >>>
    >>> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    >> I give up. What do those command lines do,
    >> and when should they be issued?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > www.google.com
    >
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/admin/sudo
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGetHowto
    >
    > If you ask what "root privileges are" next, then you're on your own ....
    >
    > I'm interested in these "scripts" that you will write. What will they
    > do? ....

    "Root privileges"... seating at baseball games? :-)

    The scripts were written a couple years ago in a course in
    Unix shell scripting. The most complex involved knowing
    the order of argument evaluation (not at all obvious and not
    available in any textbook that the instructor has seen) and
    recursive parsing of a long command line (required functions).
    The whole purpose is merely to demonstrate that my
    familiarity with Unix shells is a step or two beyond knowing
    what cd and ls do. I'm not trying to become a Unix
    developer or server admin.

    *TimDaniels*

  20. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" writes:

    >>> I have Ubuntu Server on one machine at home and whatever was't there when I
    >>> installed is now there from the standard repositories.
    >>> Even KDE and multimedia stuff.
    >>>
    >>> AFAIR there was no graphics stuff installed, but, again, there is nothing that
    >>> prevents one from installing KDE or Gnome.
    >>>
    >>> Josef

    >> Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    >> forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    >> the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    >> would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    >> need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    > It might have escaped your attention, but you can download and install
    > programs in Windows too.

    Yes, but can you install Windows itself or its vital core components via
    download? I usually install Ubuntu (and various other flavours of Linux,
    e.g. Novell/SuSE Linux Enterprise Server or Red hat Enterprise Linux) by
    just inserting a CD and starting a base system in a RAMdisk and then I
    install everything from a remote repository.
    AFAIU, Microsoft does it the other way round: you get a DVD with
    everything and you just download a key to enable whatever part you have
    purchased. Saves bandwidth ...