Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP? - Ubuntu ; Timothy Daniels wrote: > > Thanks. For having servers available for simply demo'g > some AJAX apps, the "server-with-a-head" option sounds > simplest to run, so using GNOME sounds best for me. > Do you think it would be simpler ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 55 of 55

  1. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > Thanks. For having servers available for simply demo'g
    > some AJAX apps, the "server-with-a-head" option sounds
    > simplest to run, so using GNOME sounds best for me.
    > Do you think it would be simpler to get the Server Edition and
    > add GNOME, or get the Standard Edition and add Apache
    > and MySQL?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I've installed both and the only major difference is the install
    program. The standard version gives you the nice graphical Live
    CD installer. The server edition has a very straight forward
    console based install program. Both versions point to the same
    package repositories, so you can easily convert a server to
    desktop or desktop to a server just by removing/installing the
    appropriate packages. Of course the server starts out with the
    server kernel and the option to install exim, apache, etc right
    from the get-go, so it can save you a bit of time setting up a
    headless system. I'm guessing it would have to pull the gnome
    software from the repositories if you wanted to install it, so
    you might be better off using the standard live CD if you know
    you want a graphical desktop on your server.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  2. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Hadron wrote:

    > If one ones to run certain program over the net using x-forwaring, a
    > lot of apps wont exist without a desktop env installed on that machine
    > afaik. You certainly need X at the very least.

    True, though one nice thing is that you only need the desktop
    environment *installed*, it doesn't actually need to be *running*
    on the remote system to run individual apps and redirect their
    output. This is actually a rather nice feature of X11 based
    environments. I only mention it because some people new to the
    Unix/Linux/X11 way of doing things may not know that. The
    system running a GUI app does not need to be running any X11
    display software or windowing environment, only the system
    *displaying* the GUI app does.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  3. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Hadron wrote:

    >> Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    >> forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    >> the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    >> would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    >> need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    > It might have escaped your attention, but you can download and install
    > programs in Windows too.

    Yes, though usually not as easily. I think he was referring to the
    ease of repository based package management in Linux.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  4. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Thanks. Being more familiar with the Windows world, I
    >>> forgot that one could just download whatever wasn't on
    >>> the installation CD/DVD. Having a desktop environment
    >>> would be helpful to a newbie like me, although I don't
    >>> need it for demo'g the scripts that I wrote.

    >> It might have escaped your attention, but you can download and
    >> install programs in Windows too.

    > Yes, though usually not as easily. I think he was referring to the
    > ease of repository based package management in Linux.
    >
    > Thad

    And indeed, I was.

    *TimDaniels*

  5. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks. For having servers available for simply demo'g
    >> some AJAX apps, the "server-with-a-head" option sounds
    >> simplest to run, so using GNOME sounds best for me.
    >> Do you think it would be simpler to get the Server Edition and
    >> add GNOME, or get the Standard Edition and add Apache
    >> and MySQL?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > I've installed both and the only major difference is the install
    > program. The standard version gives you the nice graphical Live
    > CD installer. The server edition has a very straight forward
    > console based install program. Both versions point to the same
    > package repositories, so you can easily convert a server to
    > desktop or desktop to a server just by removing/installing the
    > appropriate packages. Of course the server starts out with the
    > server kernel and the option to install exim, apache, etc right
    > from the get-go, so it can save you a bit of time setting up a
    > headless system. I'm guessing it would have to pull the gnome
    > software from the repositories if you wanted to install it, so
    > you might be better off using the standard live CD if you know
    > you want a graphical desktop on your server.
    >
    > Thad

    Thanks for the info and advice. Would you advise going
    with the Latest And Greatest releases of Apache and MySQL,
    or would downloading one version back be prudent? Are the
    Latest And Greatest the versions which appear in Ubuntu Server
    Edition, or does Ubuntu "hold back" for one version?

    *TimDaniels*

  6. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Indeed, they are. If you are running a dedicated server, there is no
    >>> point in having a Desktop environment taking up cpu and RAM.

    >> It can be handy to set up a minimal XFCE one. It can come in handy if
    >> you want to VNC in. Certain graphical assistance to such things as
    >> cups, apache and MySQL can also be handy.
    >>
    >> Oooh. Handily, it was quite handy using the word handy in this
    >> response.

    > I would advise against vnc. Primarily because you might also catch
    > someone doing something they dont want you to see and you dont want to
    > either ....
    >
    > Enable x-forwarding on the remote machine (/etc/ssh(sshd_config). ssh
    > in. issue "sux" if you must run as root (at least on debian). run the
    > graphics application on the remote and the display appears on your local
    > desktop. very, very nice and secure.

    I'll give that a go.

    Can I just confirm though, that the machine being VNC'ed into isn't a
    regular machine. It is a headless server running a minimal XFCE.

    To be honest, webmin looks like the way forard for me. Thanks to all
    that recomended.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-02-14, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> It can be handy to set up a minimal XFCE one. It can come in handy if
    >> you want to VNC in. Certain graphical assistance to such things as
    >> cups, apache and MySQL can also be handy.

    > I am seriously unimpressed with the GUI tools available for all of
    > those. The only graphical tool that I have found useful for such
    > things is webmin. And it requires no DE on the server. And you can
    > remote in just fine with ssh... ;-)

    I've just given that webmin thingy a try. Wow. Just the answer to my
    problems. Thanks Joe.
    So now it's time for
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge *buntu-desktop
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge *** graphical-application

    I reckon you'vwe just given me half a gig of disk space back. Thanks.

    > Not to say that there are no possible reasons for having a DE on the
    > server, but if it is something like a web server, it really isn't
    > necessary at all, and not at all "severe" to not have one...

    Yup.

    >> Oooh. Handily, it was quite handy using the word handy in this
    >> response.
    >>

    > Proud of yerself, are ya? ;-)

    Never proud. Always humble. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  8. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> If one ones to run certain program over the net using x-forwaring, a
    >> lot of apps wont exist without a desktop env installed on that machine
    >> afaik. You certainly need X at the very least.

    > True, though one nice thing is that you only need the desktop
    > environment *installed*, it doesn't actually need to be *running*
    > on the remote system to run individual apps and redirect their
    > output. This is actually a rather nice feature of X11 based
    > environments. I only mention it because some people new to the
    > Unix/Linux/X11 way of doing things may not know that. The
    > system running a GUI app does not need to be running any X11
    > display software or windowing environment, only the system
    > *displaying* the GUI app does.

    That's what I said ... "X at the very least".

  9. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >>> Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It can be handy to set up a minimal XFCE one. It can come in handy if
    >>> you want to VNC in. Certain graphical assistance to such things as
    >>> cups, apache and MySQL can also be handy.
    >>>
    >>> Oooh. Handily, it was quite handy using the word handy in this
    >>> response.

    >> I would advise against vnc. Primarily because you might also catch
    >> someone doing something they dont want you to see and you dont want to
    >> either ....
    >>
    >> Enable x-forwarding on the remote machine (/etc/ssh(sshd_config). ssh
    >> in. issue "sux" if you must run as root (at least on debian). run the
    >> graphics application on the remote and the display appears on your local
    >> desktop. very, very nice and secure.

    > I'll give that a go.
    >
    > Can I just confirm though, that the machine being VNC'ed into isn't a
    > regular machine. It is a headless server running a minimal XFCE.

    I only have logged into a machine that is logged in and has a desktop. I
    seem to recall (before I started using x forwarding) that I couldnt
    configure the setup to actually LOG IN to the remote machine.

    --
    Murphy was an optimist.

  10. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.
    -- Calvin

  11. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Can I just confirm though, that the machine being VNC'ed into isn't a
    >> regular machine. It is a headless server running a minimal XFCE.

    > I only have logged into a machine that is logged in and has a desktop. I
    > seem to recall (before I started using x forwarding) that I couldnt
    > configure the setup to actually LOG IN to the remote machine.

    Yes. When using VNC, it *is* logged in. However, there are no monitor
    mouse or keyboard connected so there is absolutely no chance of
    seeing another user surfing for whale porn.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    On 2008-02-15, Moog wrote:

    > I've just given that webmin thingy a try. Wow. Just the answer to my
    > problems. Thanks Joe.

    It is a seriously powerful tool. It helped me to configure a few
    things that I had previously beaten my head against a wall about.
    Dansguardian comes immediately to mind. After installing webmin and
    running through the config there, it works like a champ.

    > So now it's time for
    > $ sudo apt-get remove --purge *buntu-desktop
    > $ sudo apt-get remove --purge *** graphical-application
    >
    > I reckon you'vwe just given me half a gig of disk space back. Thanks.

    And with a well-configured ssh, it is available from wherever you are.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  13. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > Thanks for the info and advice. Would you advise going
    > with the Latest And Greatest releases of Apache and MySQL,
    > or would downloading one version back be prudent? Are the
    > Latest And Greatest the versions which appear in Ubuntu Server
    > Edition, or does Ubuntu "hold back" for one version?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Apache/2.2.4
    PHP/5.2.3
    MySQL/5.0.45
    Perl/5.8.8

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  14. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    "Jonathan N. Little" replied:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for the info and advice. Would you advise going
    >> with the Latest And Greatest releases of Apache and MySQL,
    >> or would downloading one version back be prudent? Are the
    >> Latest And Greatest the versions which appear in Ubuntu Server
    >> Edition, or does Ubuntu "hold back" for one version?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > Apache/2.2.4
    > PHP/5.2.3
    > MySQL/5.0.45
    > Perl/5.8.8

    OK, they're not the Latest-and-Greatest releases, but they
    all seem to be within the past year. I guess one could call
    that "prudent". Thanks for the info.

    *TimDaniels*

  15. Re: Ubuntu Server just Standard + AMP?

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-02-15, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> I've just given that webmin thingy a try. Wow. Just the answer to my
    >> problems. Thanks Joe.

    > It is a seriously powerful tool. It helped me to configure a few
    > things that I had previously beaten my head against a wall about.
    > Dansguardian comes immediately to mind. After installing webmin and
    > running through the config there, it works like a champ.

    It looks superb. I've been tinkering with it and its power is
    perfectly obvious.

    >> So now it's time for
    >> $ sudo apt-get remove --purge *buntu-desktop
    >> $ sudo apt-get remove --purge *** graphical-application
    >>
    >> I reckon you'vwe just given me half a gig of disk space back. Thanks.

    > And with a well-configured ssh, it is available from wherever you are.

    I actually can reach the server just by typing the networks wan ip. I
    don't think I'll even need ssh.

    I won't know properly though until I fully configure it (I'm on leave
    at the moment and don't really want to "work" until at least Tuesday)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

+ Reply to Thread