install Ubuntu into NTFS partition? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on install Ubuntu into NTFS partition? - Ubuntu ; On 2008-02-13, Timothy Daniels wrote: > > OK. Thanks. Since I hope to dual- or triple-boot with Vista > and maybe XP, I was hoping that each could access all the > other partitions. (It will be for demo'ing functionality, ...

  1. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    On 2008-02-13, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > OK. Thanks. Since I hope to dual- or triple-boot with Vista
    > and maybe XP, I was hoping that each could access all the
    > other partitions. (It will be for demo'ing functionality, and security
    > will not be a concern since there will be no other users and no
    > connection to the Internet.)

    That wouldn't do a good job of demonstrating the functionality of
    Linux, by installing it on a relatively crippled filesystem...

    The way most people handle this is to give Vista, XP and Linux each
    their own partition, that is only theirs, then have a shared partition
    for data (usually FAT32) to keep the files in.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    On 2008-02-14, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > I figured if they were all in NTFS partitions, no special
    > drivers would be needed for Windows to read the Linux
    > data files and for Linux to read the Windows data files,
    > many of the files being in one of the OSs' home partition.
    > The question wasn't about how to accomplish dual- or triple-
    > booting.

    Even on Windows, it is generally bad practice to keep important data
    files on the OS's partition. Always makes more sense to have a
    separate data partition, so that filling it up doesn't crush an OS'
    ability to boot.

    And you don't want to change application files from a different OS,
    else you risk messing up the fragile Windows registry.

    Like I said, Install your first OS, then install a data partiton
    (drive D for Windows, formatted FAT32). Then, install the second M$
    OS and point it to the same drive D for data. Now, install Linux, and
    mount that partition as /data or /mnt/data or /home/tim/data, or
    whatever you want. Now you have access to all those files from any of
    the three OS', without risk of messing up one OS from another.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  3. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    On 2008-02-14, Peter Chant wrote:
    > You can get an ext2 (/3?) driver for XP. It does not respect linux
    > permissions but you can read and write.

    Supports writing on ext2. ext3 is read-only, as Windows doesn't
    support the journaling or necessary permissions. For a full rw shared
    partition, though, FAT32 seems a better idea, as it is natively
    supported in both Windows and Linux.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  4. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    "Timothy Daniels" writes:

    > "Mark Warner" answered:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Gutsy Gibbon is described as having improved NTFS
    >>> capability. Does that mean that Ubuntu can now be
    >>> *installed* into an NTFS partition?

    >> No.

    > "No"? What is it about "No" that you mean? :-))
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Huh? he means no you can not install Linux on NTFS. At least not if you
    want it to work.

    And please stop shifting your replies right - it's not standard and
    looks ugly. Of course its your choice, but expect to find less readers
    if you post in a non standard format. Left justified is the norm.

  5. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    "Joe" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>
    >> I figured if they were all in NTFS partitions, no special
    >> drivers would be needed for Windows to read the Linux
    >> data files and for Linux to read the Windows data files,
    >> many of the files being in one of the OSs' home partition.
    >> The question wasn't about how to accomplish dual- or triple-
    >> booting.

    > Even on Windows, it is generally bad practice to keep important
    > data files on the OS's partition. Always makes more sense to
    > have a separate data partition, so that filling it up doesn't crush
    > an OS' ability to boot.
    >
    > And you don't want to change application files from a different OS,
    > else you risk messing up the fragile Windows registry.
    >
    > Like I said, Install your first OS, then install a data partiton
    > (drive D for Windows, formatted FAT32). Then, install the
    > second M$ OS and point it to the same drive D for data. Now,
    > install Linux, and mount that partition as /data or /mnt/data or
    > /home/tim/data, or whatever you want. Now you have access
    > to all those files from any of the three OS', without risk of
    > messing up one OS from another.

    Thanks for the reminder. I got into the habit of putting everything
    on one partition from my day-trading days when I made daily
    clones of the entire partition onto a 2nd HD in order to have an
    immediately bootable backup if the primary HD crapped out
    during trading. By doing that, I not only backed up the OS, but
    I backed up my data without having to remember which files they
    were in. I haven't formed any large file collections (e.g. MP3,
    video, etc.), so I've continued that practice. I may have to
    re-think my partitioning scheme.

    *TimDaniels*

  6. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    "Hadron" enigmafied:
    > Wonderful!
    >
    > http://wubi-installer.org/screenshots.php
    >
    > Would you trust someone who can not configure
    > their own webserver to serve php files properly?

    Whuffo yoo been meanin'?

    *TimDaniels*

  7. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    "Joe" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>
    >> OK. Thanks. Since I hope to dual- or triple-boot with Vista
    >> and maybe XP, I was hoping that each could access all the
    >> other partitions. (It will be for demo'ing functionality, and security
    >> will not be a concern since there will be no other users and no
    >> connection to the Internet.)

    > That wouldn't do a good job of demonstrating the functionality of
    > Linux, by installing it on a relatively crippled filesystem...
    >
    > The way most people handle this is to give Vista, XP and Linux each
    > their own partition, that is only theirs, then have a shared partition
    > for data (usually FAT32) to keep the files in.

    The "functionality" would be the logical correctness and the
    efficiency of the source code rather than the speed of the app
    in execution. Envision the demonstration of programs written
    for course homework and a take-home exam.

    I had in mind just drag-n-dropping PHP files to a server during
    development instead of ftp'ing them to the server.

    *TimDaniels*

  8. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Joe" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>>
    >>> OK. Thanks. Since I hope to dual- or triple-boot with Vista
    >>> and maybe XP, I was hoping that each could access all the
    >>> other partitions. (It will be for demo'ing functionality, and security
    >>> will not be a concern since there will be no other users and no
    >>> connection to the Internet.)

    >> That wouldn't do a good job of demonstrating the functionality of
    >> Linux, by installing it on a relatively crippled filesystem...
    >>
    >> The way most people handle this is to give Vista, XP and Linux each
    >> their own partition, that is only theirs, then have a shared partition
    >> for data (usually FAT32) to keep the files in.

    > The "functionality" would be the logical correctness and the
    > efficiency of the source code rather than the speed of the app
    > in execution. Envision the demonstration of programs written
    > for course homework and a take-home exam.
    >
    > I had in mind just drag-n-dropping PHP files to a server during
    > development instead of ftp'ing them to the server.

    Duh. You can mount a server through an ftp connection and open it as a
    window on your desktop. Then you can drag and drop files into that window
    and hence on to that server. Linux isn't Windoze you know.

    After all these dozens of questions from you, don't you think it's time that
    you took the plunge and actually installed Ubuntu somewhere so that you
    could really start to learn what's going on with it? Seems like you want to
    be handheld through all this stuff before you even attempt to setup a box
    and try it. A funny way to learn, imho.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  9. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    NoStop writes:

    > Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> That wouldn't do a good job of demonstrating the functionality of
    >>> Linux, by installing it on a relatively crippled filesystem...
    >>>
    >>> The way most people handle this is to give Vista, XP and Linux each
    >>> their own partition, that is only theirs, then have a shared partition
    >>> for data (usually FAT32) to keep the files in.

    >> The "functionality" would be the logical correctness and the
    >> efficiency of the source code rather than the speed of the app
    >> in execution. Envision the demonstration of programs written
    >> for course homework and a take-home exam.
    >>
    >> I had in mind just drag-n-dropping PHP files to a server during
    >> development instead of ftp'ing them to the server.
    >>

    > Duh. You can mount a server through an ftp connection and open it as a
    > window on your desktop. Then you can drag and drop files into that window
    > and hence on to that server. Linux isn't Windoze you know.

    You can do that om Windows too.

    Better would be a remote filesystem using sshfs or something using
    encryption IMO.

    nfs is a piece of pee to use too.

    > After all these dozens of questions from you, don't you think it's time that
    > you took the plunge and actually installed Ubuntu somewhere so that you
    > could really start to learn what's going on with it? Seems like you want to
    > be handheld through all this stuff before you even attempt to setup a box
    > and try it. A funny way to learn, imho.

    As I pointed out earlier. I think he's trolling personally - just too
    many stupid questions that are SO easy to find in google in 1/10th of
    the time.

    --
    Queste donne micidiali! Non si puo' vivere ne' con loro ne' senza
    di loro.

  10. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    On 2008-02-14, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > The "functionality" would be the logical correctness and the
    > efficiency of the source code rather than the speed of the app
    > in execution. Envision the demonstration of programs written
    > for course homework and a take-home exam.
    >
    > I had in mind just drag-n-dropping PHP files to a server during
    > development instead of ftp'ing them to the server.

    Not sure why you indent like that. Sure looks funky when quoted...

    Anyhow, is the server on the same network as the desktop? Just share
    the web directory using samba, and you can mount it on any other
    machine and drag -n- drop to your heart's content...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  11. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    "NoStop" wrote:
    > After all these dozens of questions from you, don't you think it's time that
    > you took the plunge and actually installed Ubuntu somewhere so that you
    > could really start to learn what's going on with it? Seems like you want to
    > be handheld through all this stuff before you even attempt to setup a box
    > and try it. A funny way to learn, imho.

    A funny way, perhaps. But it beats wading through all the crap
    in all the web pages and all the forums with their arrogant non-
    informative replies. So far, I've found asking in this NG to be
    much quicker than the afore-mentioned wading - especially since
    some of the web-based information becomes more and more
    obsolete with every 6-month release of Ubuntu. As for installing
    Ubuntu in a dual-boot with Vista on my new laptop, I gotta learn
    Vista and laptops and Wi-Fi before go on to adjusting partitions
    and screwing with grub and EasyBCD boot loaders. Ubuntu will
    be just one tool in the bag, not the whole bag. And it will never be
    my hobby.

    *TimDaniels*

  12. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    "Joe" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> The "functionality" would be the logical correctness and the
    >> efficiency of the source code rather than the speed of the app
    >> in execution. Envision the demonstration of programs written
    >> for course homework and a take-home exam.
    >>
    >> I had in mind just drag-n-dropping PHP files to a server during
    >> development instead of ftp'ing them to the server.

    > Not sure why you indent like that. Sure looks funky when quoted...

    Indenting differentiates my comments from those of others
    in a long thread. Just consider it personal style.

    > Anyhow, is the server on the same network as the desktop? Just share
    > the web directory using samba, and you can mount it on any other
    > machine and drag -n- drop to your heart's content...

    The server will be a "localhost" - on the same PC as the client.
    I'd love to do the demos using 2 laptops, but finances intrude...

    *TimDaniels*

  13. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    "Timothy Daniels" writes:

    > "Joe" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> The "functionality" would be the logical correctness and the
    >>> efficiency of the source code rather than the speed of the app
    >>> in execution. Envision the demonstration of programs written
    >>> for course homework and a take-home exam.
    >>>
    >>> I had in mind just drag-n-dropping PHP files to a server during
    >>> development instead of ftp'ing them to the server.

    >> Not sure why you indent like that. Sure looks funky when quoted...

    > Indenting differentiates my comments from those of others
    > in a long thread. Just consider it personal style.

    its a horrible style and not required. newsreaders already have a
    standard for doing that. Believe me, if you don't change it, people will
    killfile you. reading your posts is more effort because of the need to
    cursor in with the eyes. Its not much effort, but its unnecessary
    effort. The standards are there for a reason.

    >> Anyhow, is the server on the same network as the desktop? Just share
    >> the web directory using samba, and you can mount it on any other
    >> machine and drag -n- drop to your heart's content...

    > The server will be a "localhost" - on the same PC as the client.
    > I'd love to do the demos using 2 laptops, but finances intrude...
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    In addition, if you post with a standard signature such as *TimDaniels*
    consider sticking it in a signature block like the one I have quoted
    here:

    ,----
    | --
    | Tim Daniels
    `----

    Then our news readers can snip it. it's just decent "playing by the
    book" behaviour.

  14. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    Hadron wrote:

    > NoStop writes:
    >
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> The "functionality" would be the logical correctness and the
    >>> efficiency of the source code rather than the speed of the app
    >>> in execution. Envision the demonstration of programs written
    >>> for course homework and a take-home exam.
    >>>
    >>> I had in mind just drag-n-dropping PHP files to a server during
    >>> development instead of ftp'ing them to the server.
    >>>

    >> Duh. You can mount a server through an ftp connection and open it as a
    >> window on your desktop. Then you can drag and drop files into that window
    >> and hence on to that server. Linux isn't Windoze you know.

    > You can do that om Windows too.

    With Windows Explorer?

    > Better would be a remote filesystem using sshfs or something using
    > encryption IMO.

    Well, I was assuming he intended on running a ftp server, as he did talk
    about ftp.

    > nfs is a piece of pee to use too.

    I don't mind nfs at all. What you got against it?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  15. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    NoStop writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop writes:

    >>> Duh. You can mount a server through an ftp connection and open it as a
    >>> window on your desktop. Then you can drag and drop files into that window
    >>> and hence on to that server. Linux isn't Windoze you know.

    >> You can do that om Windows too.
    >>

    > With Windows Explorer?
    >
    >> Better would be a remote filesystem using sshfs or something using
    >> encryption IMO.
    >>

    > Well, I was assuming he intended on running a ftp server, as he did talk
    > about ftp.
    >
    >> nfs is a piece of pee to use too.
    >>

    > I don't mind nfs at all. What you got against it?

    piss of pee= piece of piss = easy.

    I like it.

  16. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    Hadron wrote:

    > NoStop writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> You can do that om Windows too.
    >>>

    >> With Windows Explorer?
    >>
    >>> Better would be a remote filesystem using sshfs or something using
    >>> encryption IMO.
    >>>

    >> Well, I was assuming he intended on running a ftp server, as he did talk
    >> about ftp.
    >>
    >>> nfs is a piece of pee to use too.
    >>>

    >> I don't mind nfs at all. What you got against it?
    >>

    > piss of pee= piece of piss = easy.
    >
    > I like it.

    Are you a Brit?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  17. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    NoStop writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop writes:

    >>> With Windows Explorer?

    >>> Well, I was assuming he intended on running a ftp server, as he did talk
    >>> about ftp.

    >>> I don't mind nfs at all. What you got against it?
    >>>

    >> piss of pee= piece of piss = easy.
    >>
    >> I like it.

    > Are you a Brit?

    To a degree, yes.

  18. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    Hadron wrote:

    /snip/

    > its a horrible style and not required.

    Nanny's back!

    > In addition, if you post with a standard signature such as *TimDaniels*

    Blah, blah, blah - more silly Nannying.

    *C.*

  19. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    >> Are you a Brit?

    > To a degree, yes.

    What does that mean?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  20. Re: install Ubuntu into NTFS partition?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Yeah, I was just trying to avoid having to use special drivers for one
    > brand of OS to access the files of the other brand of OS. BTW, there's
    > a short article on sharing files between Windows and Linux in March's
    > PC Magazine (p. 116). It mentions NTFS-3G, Samba, and NTFS for
    > Linux as solutions.

    Tim, I think somebody else has mentioned your indentation. It's making
    your postings hard to follow for me.

    Anyway. Samba is a networking solution. This is only achievable if both
    OS's are running. Obviously, you cannot do this in a dual boot
    environment.

    From what I've garnered from this thread so far, simply make an extra
    data partition in either ntfs (ubuntu will read and write using
    ntfs-3g) or FAT seems to be your ideal solution.

    NTFS for linux? Isn't that paragon's "paid for" solution. I'd steer
    clear of that. Simply because what you want to do is perfectly
    achievable and readily available without cost.

    Alternatively, if you want both running at once, then virtualisation
    is the only way.
    My preferred virtualisation software is
    www.virtualbox.org
    Then configure samba or smbfs within the virtual machine.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"