BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us? - Ubuntu ; Are they scared of us Linux users or what? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7233252.stm toe http://www.vistaisrubbish.com...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 202

  1. BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

  2. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    "toedipper" wrote in message
    > Are they scared of us Linux users or what?

    > toe
    >

    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    When "us" becomes a profitable share of the market they will cater to "us".
    I still have an Atari ST. Should I expect them to write a version for it?
    How about my Sinclair ZX81 (Timex-Sinclair 1000 actually)?

    Ed

  3. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:38:13 GMT, toedipper
    wrote:

    >Are they scared of us Linux users or what?

    What.

    Or "supply and demand" if you like.

    Why on earth would you think the BBC is "scared" of Linux
    users?

    --
    John Bean

  4. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    toedipper illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Are they scared of us Linux users or what?

    They've made a commitment to develop a Linux version. There is a beta
    version that apparently works, although from the screenshots, it's simply
    the browser doing the work, so thank firefox. It doesn't seem that you can
    download and play locally yet.
    http://polishlinux.org/apps/multimed...x-screenshots/

    Just as they've made a commitment to produce a Vista version.
    Although, you can tweak the XP version if you so desire...
    Isn't life great?
    http://cs.thefoleyhouse.co.uk/blogs/...bc-iplayer-on-
    windows-vista.aspx

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > What I have problems getting is the idea that Linux users are owed anything
    > by anyone. That is what I seem to continually hear.

    No, it's not "Linux users" that are owed anything but, in this case,
    citizens of the UK who pay for Aunty Beeb by means of their tax pounds.
    It should not matter which skin-colour, religion, or sex they have or
    which OS they choose to have on their PCs.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  6. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:30:15 +0100, Josef Moellers wrote:

    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> What I have problems getting is the idea that Linux users are owed
    >> anything by anyone. That is what I seem to continually hear.

    > No, it's not "Linux users" that are owed anything but, in this case,
    > citizens of the UK who pay for Aunty Beeb by means of their tax pounds.

    And licence payers who pay £160 or so per annum for the privilege of
    using the BBC's services.

    > It should not matter which skin-colour, religion, or sex they have or
    > which OS they choose to have on their PCs.

    I could not have put that better myself.

  7. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    "Josef Moellers" wrote in message
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> What I have problems getting is the idea that Linux users are owed
    >> anything by anyone. That is what I seem to continually hear.

    > No, it's not "Linux users" that are owed anything but, in this case,
    > citizens of the UK who pay for Aunty Beeb by means of their tax pounds.
    > It should not matter which skin-colour, religion, or sex they have or
    > which OS they choose to have on their PCs.

    They said they were working to get it out to the most number of people in
    the shortest time so they released the working windows version. Should they
    have held it up until the other versions were running? Do they even know
    there is a demand for a linux version?

    If the linux users were the "most number of people", I'd bet that version
    would have gone out first.

    Ed

  8. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > "Josef Moellers" wrote in message
    >> Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >>
    >>> What I have problems getting is the idea that Linux users are owed
    >>> anything by anyone. That is what I seem to continually hear.

    >> No, it's not "Linux users" that are owed anything but, in this case,
    >> citizens of the UK who pay for Aunty Beeb by means of their tax pounds.
    >> It should not matter which skin-colour, religion, or sex they have or
    >> which OS they choose to have on their PCs.
    >>

    > They said they were working to get it out to the most number of people in
    > the shortest time so they released the working windows version. Should they
    > have held it up until the other versions were running? Do they even know
    > there is a demand for a linux version?

    Yes, they do. You can read an interview with a Beeb person on groklaw.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  9. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> "Josef Moellers" wrote in message

    >>> No, it's not "Linux users" that are owed anything but, in this case,
    >>> citizens of the UK who pay for Aunty Beeb by means of their tax pounds.
    >>> It should not matter which skin-colour, religion, or sex they have or
    >>> which OS they choose to have on their PCs.
    >>>

    >> They said they were working to get it out to the most number of people in
    >> the shortest time so they released the working windows version. Should
    >> they have held it up until the other versions were running? Do they even
    >> know there is a demand for a linux version?

    > Yes, they do. You can read an interview with a Beeb person on groklaw.

    LOL. I bet they know what share of the market they command too... more
    accurately than I do for sure. So they should have held up the windows
    version until the linux version was working? Y'think Bill Gates himself
    broke the hands of the people working on the linux version? Personally, I
    just don't think they care about that 3%. I don't think they really care
    about the Mac 3% either. And, come to think of it... that doesn't even
    take into account the non-computer users.

    The world is controlled by capitalists (and worse). I'm not saying it's
    right... I'm just saying that is how it is. Getting too upset about things
    you can't change is unhealthy.

    Ed

  10. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:08:07 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Josef Moellers" wrote in message
    >> Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >>> "Josef Moellers" wrote in message

    >>> They said they were working to get it out to the most number of people
    >>> in the shortest time so they released the working windows version.
    >>> Should they have held it up until the other versions were running? Do
    >>> they even know there is a demand for a linux version?

    >> Yes, they do. You can read an interview with a Beeb person on groklaw.
    >>

    > LOL. I bet they know what share of the market they command too... more
    > accurately than I do for sure. So they should have held up the windows
    > version until the linux version was working? Y'think Bill Gates himself
    > broke the hands of the people working on the linux version? Personally,
    > I just don't think they care about that 3%. I don't think they really
    > care about the Mac 3% either. And, come to think of it... that doesn't
    > even take into account the non-computer users.
    >
    > The world is controlled by capitalists (and worse). I'm not saying it's
    > right... I'm just saying that is how it is. Getting too upset about
    > things you can't change is unhealthy.

    Could I just ask everyone in here not to respond to the obvious trolling
    about Windows that has suddenly surfaced in this thread?

    I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had enough of long threads resulting
    from Windows trolling. This one has started repeating the "everyone on
    earth uses windows so that's all that matters" troll.

    Don't get outraged. Don't try to respond. Remember that this group is
    about Ubuntu. We are interested in when people will make services
    available for Linux and for Ubuntu. We are interested in people and
    companies recognising that we have that interest.

    If the Windows trolls want to be smug about "market dominance", as if
    that's the most important thing, let them go off and do it in their own
    groups. Remember, we don't care. If we're here in the Ubuntu group,
    it's because we care about technical excellence.

    I'm sure that when Ford drivers want to feel superior to Ferrari drivers,
    they start talking about market share. They aren't kidding anyone except
    themselves.

    So, in summary, I would like to point out that, especially with the Year
    of the Rat newly started, we could all make fresh new year resolutions.
    And the best ones to make, for all of us, would be:

    A. RECOGNISE THE TROLLS
    B. PRACTISE RECOGNISING THE TROLLS
    C. DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

    Even though I know, deep down, that none of you will heed my plea, I am
    grateful that you took the time to listen.

    Best wishes for a ratty year,
    Mark

  11. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    "Mark South" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:08:07 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> "Josef Moellers" wrote in message

    >>> Yes, they do. You can read an interview with a Beeb person on groklaw.
    >>>

    >> LOL. I bet they know what share of the market they command too... more
    >> accurately than I do for sure. So they should have held up the windows
    >> version until the linux version was working? Y'think Bill Gates himself
    >> broke the hands of the people working on the linux version? Personally,
    >> I just don't think they care about that 3%. I don't think they really
    >> care about the Mac 3% either. And, come to think of it... that doesn't
    >> even take into account the non-computer users.
    >>
    >> The world is controlled by capitalists (and worse). I'm not saying it's
    >> right... I'm just saying that is how it is. Getting too upset about
    >> things you can't change is unhealthy.

    > Could I just ask everyone in here not to respond to the obvious trolling
    > about Windows that has suddenly surfaced in this thread?
    >
    > I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had enough of long threads resulting
    > from Windows trolling. This one has started repeating the "everyone on
    > earth uses windows so that's all that matters" troll.
    >
    > Don't get outraged. Don't try to respond. Remember that this group is
    > about Ubuntu. We are interested in when people will make services
    > available for Linux and for Ubuntu. We are interested in people and
    > companies recognising that we have that interest.
    >
    > If the Windows trolls want to be smug about "market dominance", as if
    > that's the most important thing, let them go off and do it in their own
    > groups. Remember, we don't care. If we're here in the Ubuntu group,
    > it's because we care about technical excellence.
    >
    > I'm sure that when Ford drivers want to feel superior to Ferrari drivers,
    > they start talking about market share. They aren't kidding anyone except
    > themselves.
    >
    > So, in summary, I would like to point out that, especially with the Year
    > of the Rat newly started, we could all make fresh new year resolutions.
    > And the best ones to make, for all of us, would be:
    >
    > A. RECOGNISE THE TROLLS
    > B. PRACTISE RECOGNISING THE TROLLS
    > C. DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS
    >
    > Even though I know, deep down, that none of you will heed my plea, I am
    > grateful that you took the time to listen.
    >
    > Best wishes for a ratty year,
    > Mark

    Sorry Mark, no troll here. I'm here to get info and help in my
    transformation (4 new machines... 1 Ubuntu, the others are Asus eee's
    running some derivation of Ubuntu.) When things get a little too whiney
    for me, I like to point out why things are the way they are. I get it...
    you feel superior by letting us know how you are triumphing in spite of
    being pushed down by the evil minions at microsoft. (rolling eyes)

    Happy new year to you, honestly. Who knows, maybe by the end of the year I
    will have defined myself by my OS as much as you obviously have.

    Ed

  12. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:47:53 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Mark South" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:08:07 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Josef Moellers" wrote in message

    >>> LOL. I bet they know what share of the market they command too...
    >>> more accurately than I do for sure. So they should have held up the
    >>> windows version until the linux version was working? Y'think Bill
    >>> Gates himself broke the hands of the people working on the linux
    >>> version? Personally, I just don't think they care about that 3%. I
    >>> don't think they really care about the Mac 3% either. And, come to
    >>> think of it... that doesn't even take into account the non-computer
    >>> users.
    >>>
    >>> The world is controlled by capitalists (and worse). I'm not saying
    >>> it's right... I'm just saying that is how it is. Getting too upset
    >>> about things you can't change is unhealthy.

    >> Could I just ask everyone in here not to respond to the obvious
    >> trolling about Windows that has suddenly surfaced in this thread?
    >>
    >> I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had enough of long threads
    >> resulting from Windows trolling. This one has started repeating the
    >> "everyone on earth uses windows so that's all that matters" troll.
    >>
    >> Don't get outraged. Don't try to respond. Remember that this group is
    >> about Ubuntu. We are interested in when people will make services
    >> available for Linux and for Ubuntu. We are interested in people and
    >> companies recognising that we have that interest.
    >>
    >> If the Windows trolls want to be smug about "market dominance", as if
    >> that's the most important thing, let them go off and do it in their own
    >> groups. Remember, we don't care. If we're here in the Ubuntu group,
    >> it's because we care about technical excellence.
    >>
    >> I'm sure that when Ford drivers want to feel superior to Ferrari
    >> drivers, they start talking about market share. They aren't kidding
    >> anyone except themselves.
    >>
    >> So, in summary, I would like to point out that, especially with the
    >> Year of the Rat newly started, we could all make fresh new year
    >> resolutions. And the best ones to make, for all of us, would be:
    >>
    >> A. RECOGNISE THE TROLLS
    >> B. PRACTISE RECOGNISING THE TROLLS
    >> C. DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS
    >>
    >> Even though I know, deep down, that none of you will heed my plea, I am
    >> grateful that you took the time to listen.
    >>
    >> Best wishes for a ratty year,
    >> Mark

    > Sorry Mark, no troll here. I'm here to get info and help in my
    > transformation (4 new machines... 1 Ubuntu, the others are Asus eee's
    > running some derivation of Ubuntu.)

    Even the most basic research would tell you how Xandros and Ubuntu are
    related.

    > When things get a little too
    > whiney for me, I like to point out why things are the way they are.

    I'm pointing out things the way are. It's you that's being too whiney,
    because that's a standard trolling technique.

    > get it... you feel superior by letting us know how you are triumphing in
    > spite of being pushed down by the evil minions at microsoft. (rolling
    > eyes)

    And this is further trolling evidence. Nowhere did I say anything
    remotely resembling what you chose to set up as a straw man.

    Why don't you tell me my age, weight, and hair colour while you have your
    deductive powers cranked right up to the max?

    > Happy new year to you, honestly. Who knows, maybe by the end of the
    > year I will have defined myself by my OS as much as you obviously have.

    And there, my fellow AOLU newsgroupers, we have pretty close to
    definitive proof that this is a troll. In other words, operate on the
    algorithm: read nothing that is written, reply to nothing that is
    written, simply make an ad hominem attack.

    I will not be replying any further to your Windows trolling. I will
    continue to answer actual questions relating to Ubuntu from you or
    anyone, in the case that I am able to provide assistance.

    And a final clue: If I'm actually wrong in my assessment of you as a
    troll, the way to prove me wrong is to stop trolling, not to crank up the
    troll-o-meter.

    Bye now, feel free to throw in a last troll about how you can judge
    everything about people from the fact that they choose to run Ubuntu on
    their computers.

  13. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:53:36 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "toedipper" wrote in message
    >> Are they scared of us Linux users or what?

    >> toe
    >>

    >> http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    > When "us" becomes a profitable share of the market they will cater to
    > "us". I still have an Atari ST. Should I expect them to write a version
    > for it? How about my Sinclair ZX81 (Timex-Sinclair 1000 actually)?

    Grrr what the hell has profitability got to do with it?! iPlayer is a
    free service, and anyway the BBC is there to serve the people of the UK
    *without charge*! that's what the TV licence fee is for, and owners of
    computers running Linux don't get to pay a smaller licence fee than
    everyone else! damn you!

    --

    "Eternal vigilance and constant mobility are the passwords of survival."
    - Che Guevara

  14. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:22:12 +0100, Josef Moellers wrote:

    > The main problem, as far as I understand, is that Linux, being
    > open-source, might allow users to sneak into the transmission path and
    > make local copies of the material. Microsoft keeps their source closed
    > so only criminals will be able to legally do that.

    It is allegedly down to DRM models. Microsoft's DRM model (and, I assume,
    Apple's latest) allows for downloaded TV shows to become unplayable after
    30 days. Apparently Linux doesn't play that game.
    --

    "So it goes." - Billy Pilgrim

  15. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:11:21 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > They said they were working to get it out to the most number of people
    > in the shortest time so they released the working windows version.
    > Should they have held it up until the other versions were running? Do
    > they even know there is a demand for a linux version?

    That is such a load of crap!! The BBC could have developed a platform-
    neutral application and everyone would have been able to use the thing
    straight away. Or maybe you think such an app is impossible? That
    Youtube is a figment of your imagination?

    --

    "Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself, in all
    cases, as the ages and generations which preceded it. Man has no

  16. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:08:07 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > The world is controlled by capitalists (and worse). I'm not saying it's
    > right... I'm just saying that is how it is. Getting too upset about
    > things you can't change is unhealthy.

    And believing that you can't change the policy of a publicly-answerable
    organization like the BBC is extremely stupid.

    Incidentally, the BBC Trust (the folk who tell the BBC what to do) have
    instructed them to make iPlayer "platform-agnostic" as soon as possible.
    Unfortunately the Trust didn't tell them to do it immediately. If they
    had, we'd have a platform-neutral iPlayer right now.

    --

    "If I can't dance you can keep your revolution." - Emma Goldman

  17. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    In article <9TKqj.2269$nG4.751@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,
    toedipper wrote:

    > Are they scared of us Linux users or what?

    Note that the Windows version has DRM. If that's a requirement for the
    other platforms, this might make sense. There are off-the-shelf DRM
    systems, licensable from Microsoft, for Windows, I believe.

    For Macs, Apple has a DRM system available, but I think it is just for
    their stuff. I don't think Apple licenses it. So, for the Mac, they'll
    have to get a third party system or develop their own.

    Same for Linux, except with the added issue of multiple distributions to
    deal with.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  18. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <9TKqj.2269$nG4.751@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,
    > toedipper wrote:
    >>
    >> Are they scared of us Linux users or what?

    > Note that the Windows version has DRM. If that's a requirement for the
    > other platforms, this might make sense. There are off-the-shelf DRM
    > systems, licensable from Microsoft, for Windows, I believe.
    >
    > For Macs, Apple has a DRM system available, but I think it is just for
    > their stuff. I don't think Apple licenses it. So, for the Mac, they'll
    > have to get a third party system or develop their own.
    >
    > Same for Linux, except with the added issue of multiple distributions to
    > deal with.

    Multiple distributions would be the least of their worries if they insist on
    DRM. How would they work around GPL3?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  19. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    "firebrand" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:53:36 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> "toedipper" wrote in message
    >>> Are they scared of us Linux users or what?
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7233252.stm
    >>>
    >>> toe
    >>>

    >>> http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    >> When "us" becomes a profitable share of the market they will cater to
    >> "us". I still have an Atari ST. Should I expect them to write a version
    >> for it? How about my Sinclair ZX81 (Timex-Sinclair 1000 actually)?

    > Grrr what the hell has profitability got to do with it?! iPlayer is a
    > free service, and anyway the BBC is there to serve the people of the UK
    > *without charge*! that's what the TV licence fee is for, and owners of
    > computers running Linux don't get to pay a smaller licence fee than
    > everyone else! damn you!

    Neither do people without computers or broadband so what was your point?
    The BBC have made iPlayer freely available to most people with computers..
    there must be a point at which they stop supporting smaller and smaller user
    numbers. Maybe you should consider buying windows if you want iPlayer that
    much?

  20. Re: BBC iplayer for Macs in 2008, what about us?

    "firebrand" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:11:21 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> They said they were working to get it out to the most number of people
    >> in the shortest time so they released the working windows version.
    >> Should they have held it up until the other versions were running? Do
    >> they even know there is a demand for a linux version?

    > That is such a load of crap!! The BBC could have developed a platform-
    > neutral application and everyone would have been able to use the thing
    > straight away. Or maybe you think such an app is impossible? That
    > Youtube is a figment of your imagination?

    Would you care to explain how you are going to implement the DRM they
    require? Youtube don't exactly care about DRM do they?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast