VMware guest os does not see USB ports - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on VMware guest os does not see USB ports - Ubuntu ; I installed VMWARE server in my Kubuntu box to run some W$ apps not available in linux and not running via wine. - data retrieval from my Sunny beam solar PV system - X10 home automatisation application for Marmitec CM11-USB ...

  1. VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    I installed VMWARE server in my Kubuntu box to run some W$ apps not
    available in linux and not running via wine.
    - data retrieval from my Sunny beam solar PV system
    - X10 home automatisation application for Marmitec CM11-USB device

    Problem:
    W$ running as VM in Kubuntu does not see any USB device
    I did some modifications as described in
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...085/comments/5
    but still no luck.

    Some ideas anybody ?

    --
    MarcB

  2. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    MarcB wrote:
    > I installed VMWARE server in my Kubuntu box to run some W$ apps not
    > available in linux and not running via wine.
    > - data retrieval from my Sunny beam solar PV system
    > - X10 home automatisation application for Marmitec CM11-USB device
    >
    > Problem:
    > W$ running as VM in Kubuntu does not see any USB device
    > I did some modifications as described in
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...085/comments/5
    > but still no luck.
    >
    > Some ideas anybody ?

    Have you googled to see if any of these are available for linux. In X10 home automation stuff is. Also go to freshmeat to check.

    Walt

  3. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    Walt Nelson wrote:

    > MarcB wrote:
    >> I installed VMWARE server in my Kubuntu box to run some W$ apps not
    >> available in linux and not running via wine.
    >> - data retrieval from my Sunny beam solar PV system
    >> - X10 home automatisation application for Marmitec CM11-USB device
    >>
    >> Problem:
    >> W$ running as VM in Kubuntu does not see any USB device
    >> I did some modifications as described in
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...085/comments/5
    >> but still no luck.
    >>
    >> Some ideas anybody ?
    >>

    > Have you googled to see if any of these are available for linux. In X10
    > home automation stuff is. Also go to freshmeat to check.
    >
    > Walt

    I saw some X10 stuff in the repos, but have not tried it yet.

    I googled around for the sunnybeam, and also contacted the manufacturer,
    but no luck.
    When I run it in W$, there is a kind of sniffer delivered on the CD,
    and I can see that it is a fairly simple polling protocol ( the same
    protocol that is also used on older sunnybeams having a serial port)
    that requests if there is new data on the sunnybeam.
    With a little script or program, I could easily write the polling protocol,
    but I have no idea how I could read or write to the USB interface

    so if there is a USB interface wizzard in the group that could help me out,
    here is the output of lsusb -v for the Sunnybeam device

    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1587:002d
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 1.10
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 8
    idVendor 0x1587
    idProduct 0x002d
    bcdDevice 2.00
    iManufacturer 1
    iProduct 2
    iSerial 3
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 2
    wTotalLength 32
    bNumInterfaces 1
    bConfigurationValue 1
    iConfiguration 0
    bmAttributes 0xa0
    (Bus Powered)
    Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower 200mA
    Interface Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 4
    bInterfaceNumber 0
    bAlternateSetting 0
    bNumEndpoints 2
    bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
    bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
    bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
    iInterface 2
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
    bInterval 0
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
    bInterval 0
    cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

    --
    MarcB

  4. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    MarcB wrote:
    > I saw some X10 stuff in the repos, but have not tried it yet.

    I use bottlerocket 0.05b3-6.1 to control X-10 devices. It commands the
    CM17A (serial) Firecracker interface, not any USB device.
    http://graphics.x10.com/images7/tech_cm17a.jpg

    It's in the repository, and Synaptic's description (for Dapper) follows:

    Utility to control X10 Firecracker devices
    A command-line utility to interact with the Firecracker version of
    X10's home control devices.

    Also included is rocket launcher, a graphical frontend to bottlerocket.
    If you want this functionality you should have wish installed.

    Rather simple commands (example for house code A and device 7):

    john@dapper:~$ br -x /dev/ttyS0 a7 on
    john@dapper:~$ br -x /dev/ttyS0 a7 off

    Works great.

    http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket

    I'm still looking for replacement software for the Windows versions of
    Home Automation, security, etc., and have given X-10 my opinion on their
    lack of FOSS support.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Ford nor Yahoo products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  5. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > MarcB wrote:
    >> I saw some X10 stuff in the repos, but have not tried it yet.
    >>

    > I use bottlerocket 0.05b3-6.1 to control X-10 devices. It commands the
    > CM17A (serial) Firecracker interface, not any USB device.
    > http://graphics.x10.com/images7/tech_cm17a.jpg
    >
    > It's in the repository, and Synaptic's description (for Dapper) follows:
    >
    > Utility to control X10 Firecracker devices
    > A command-line utility to interact with the Firecracker version of
    > X10's home control devices.
    >
    > Also included is rocket launcher, a graphical frontend to bottlerocket.
    > If you want this functionality you should have wish installed.
    >
    > Rather simple commands (example for house code A and device 7):
    >
    > john@dapper:~$ br -x /dev/ttyS0 a7 on
    > john@dapper:~$ br -x /dev/ttyS0 a7 off
    >
    > Works great.
    >
    > http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket
    >
    > I'm still looking for replacement software for the Windows versions of
    > Home Automation, security, etc., and have given X-10 my opinion on their
    > lack of FOSS support.

    My X10 device is a CM11-usb from marmitec, any experience with that ?
    --
    MarcB

  6. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    MarcB wrote:
    > I installed VMWARE server in my Kubuntu box to run some W$ apps not
    > available in linux and not running via wine.
    > - data retrieval from my Sunny beam solar PV system
    > - X10 home automatisation application for Marmitec CM11-USB device
    >
    > Problem:
    > W$ running as VM in Kubuntu does not see any USB device
    > I did some modifications as described in
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...085/comments/5
    > but still no luck.
    >
    > Some ideas anybody ?

    What is W$ ? Perhaps its because your not running a known OS

  7. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    MarcB wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> MarcB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I saw some X10 stuff in the repos, but have not tried it yet.
    >>>

    >> I use bottlerocket 0.05b3-6.1 to control X-10 devices. It commands the
    >> CM17A (serial) Firecracker interface, not any USB device.
    >> http://graphics.x10.com/images7/tech_cm17a.jpg
    >>
    >> It's in the repository, and Synaptic's description (for Dapper) follows:
    >>
    >> Utility to control X10 Firecracker devices
    >> A command-line utility to interact with the Firecracker version of
    >> X10's home control devices.
    >>
    >> Also included is rocket launcher, a graphical frontend to bottlerocket.
    >> If you want this functionality you should have wish installed.
    >>
    >> Rather simple commands (example for house code A and device 7):
    >>
    >> john@dapper:~$ br -x /dev/ttyS0 a7 on
    >> john@dapper:~$ br -x /dev/ttyS0 a7 off
    >>
    >> Works great.
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket
    >>
    >> I'm still looking for replacement software for the Windows versions of
    >> Home Automation, security, etc., and have given X-10 my opinion on their
    >> lack of FOSS support.
    >>

    > My X10 device is a CM11-usb from marmitec, any experience with that ?

    I guess not, searching through the stack of "owners manuals" for all of
    my X-10 toys.

    I don't remember any of my goodies using a USB connection. IFAIR, they
    all are serial "DB-9" (DE-9)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DE-9_co...DE-9_connector

    Nothing could be found on X-10's site either, except that CM-11 is a
    protocol, and not a hardware model item. CM-11 may have been a
    discontinued hardware item?

    http://www.x10.com/support/support_manuals.htm

    Here is the only reference to CM-11 that I could find at X-10:

    ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/cm11a_protocol.txt

    Are you positive your hardware is CM-11, and not just a reference to the
    protocol it uses, or a software product code? Since I don't find an
    owner's manual in my files, and since X-10 has no real reference to
    CM-11, I would suspect it is a discontinued item. X-10 also seems to not
    use their product codes frequently. Can you supply the "long" nomenclature?

    Here are a few links that I found during searches. Perhaps they can be
    of some assistance.

    http://tinyurl.com/2w6qsd

    http://tinyurl.com/2rgf96

    http://tinyurl.com/2o2d3v

    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Ford nor Yahoo products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  8. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    www.marmitek.com/en/manual/9647.pdf
    --
    MarcB

  9. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    MarcB wrote:
    > www.marmitek.com/en/manual/9647.pdf

    Ah so! Thanks for the link.

    Looking at that receptacle type, I'd guess it is European.

    Perhaps that explains why X-10 doesn't show the product on its USA site?

    One idea might be to try a USB-to-DE-9 adapter, if such an animal is
    available. I use USB-to-PS/2 adapters, and I know there are
    PS/2-to-Serial adapters available. Might be a last resort to chain them
    together?

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Ford nor Yahoo products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  10. Re: VMware guest os does not see USB ports

    concerning the sunny beam device, consider my simple command line app on sourceforge:

+ Reply to Thread