Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore! - Ubuntu ; I don't know what's happened, but Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore. Whether I click on 'Write', or 'Reply' to an email I've read, or I click on a 'mailto:' link and select 'Compose email to', the same thing ...

  1. Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    I don't know what's happened, but Thunderbird won't let me compose emails
    anymore. Whether I click on 'Write', or 'Reply' to an email I've read, or
    I click on a 'mailto:' link and select 'Compose email to', the same thing
    happens - the 'Compose' window opens, there's nothing in the 'Subject:' or
    the 'To:' fields (even if I'm trying to reply to an email) and I can't
    type anything into any of the fields. When I click on the little 'x' in
    the corner of the window to close it, a dialogue comes up that 'Compose
    isn't responding' and I can wait or force quit... I have to force quit to
    get out of the frozen thing, and that's the end of Thunderbird.

    It's getting mail from my gmail and other accounts okay, and I can still
    read mail okay. It's just composing mail that seems to have screwed up,
    and like I said, I don't know why - I can't think of any event that may
    have caused this.

    Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do about this?

    --

    "People who wear Halloween costumes are sometimes mistaken for monsters"
    - Bruce Sterling

  2. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    firebrand wrote:
    > I don't know what's happened, but Thunderbird won't let me compose
    > emails anymore.

    > Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do about this?

    R&R

    You could remove it and then replace it.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:46:59 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > firebrand wrote:
    >> I don't know what's happened, but Thunderbird won't let me compose
    >> emails anymore.

    >> Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do about this?

    > R&R
    >
    > You could remove it and then replace it.

    Yeah I guess I could. Though I'd much rather fix it; reinstallation of
    software seems so Microsoftian.

    But, unless anyone else has got a suggestion, R&R may be the route I'll
    go.

    --

    "A little revolution now and then is a good thing; the tree of liberty
    must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and

  4. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:00:13 +0100 (CET), firebrand wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:46:59 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    > Yeah I guess I could. Though I'd much rather fix it; reinstallation of
    > software seems so Microsoftian.
    >
    > But, unless anyone else has got a suggestion, R&R may be the route I'll
    > go.

    First figure out if it is a user problem or system problem.

    Create a new account, say junk. Log into junk, set thunderbird prefs
    like firebrand's and see if still broke. If so, I recommend
    delete/install thunderbird.

    If works in junk, then
    rm -r .thunderbird
    in firebrand's account.
    Note the above wipes out all email in firebrand's .thunderbird
    directory, address book,,,,.

    Still broke,
    rm -r .fullcircle
    rm -r .thunderbird
    Try thunderbird again.

    Still broke,
    rm -r .fullcircle
    rm -r .mozilla
    rm -r .thunderbird
    Note the above wipes out firefox files (cookies, pw, book marks,,,,,)
    Try thunderbird again.

  5. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    firebrand wrote:

    > I don't know what's happened, but Thunderbird won't let me compose emails
    > anymore. Whether I click on 'Write', or 'Reply' to an email I've read, or
    > I click on a 'mailto:' link and select 'Compose email to', the same thing
    > happens - the 'Compose' window opens, there's nothing in the 'Subject:' or
    > the 'To:' fields (even if I'm trying to reply to an email) and I can't
    > type anything into any of the fields. When I click on the little 'x' in
    > the corner of the window to close it, a dialogue comes up that 'Compose
    > isn't responding' and I can wait or force quit... I have to force quit to
    > get out of the frozen thing, and that's the end of Thunderbird.
    >
    > It's getting mail from my gmail and other accounts okay, and I can still
    > read mail okay. It's just composing mail that seems to have screwed up,
    > and like I said, I don't know why - I can't think of any event that may
    > have caused this.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do about this?

    Here's a WAG - it sounds like you don't have write access to some
    directory that is used while composing mail. I don't know why that
    should be different from the one that you use to read and store mail,
    but that would be my first guess. Check your config files - probably
    prefs.js located in your account directory under ~/.thunderbird/

    Report back!

    JimR

  6. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 00:00:02 -0500, JimR wrote:

    > firebrand wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't know what's happened, but Thunderbird won't let me compose
    >> emails anymore. Whether I click on 'Write', or 'Reply' to an email
    >> I've read, or I click on a 'mailto:' link and select 'Compose email
    >> to', the same thing happens - the 'Compose' window opens, there's
    >> nothing in the 'Subject:' or the 'To:' fields (even if I'm trying to
    >> reply to an email) and I can't type anything into any of the fields.
    >> When I click on the little 'x' in the corner of the window to close it,
    >> a dialogue comes up that 'Compose isn't responding' and I can wait or
    >> force quit... I have to force quit to get out of the frozen thing, and
    >> that's the end of Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> It's getting mail from my gmail and other accounts okay, and I can
    >> still read mail okay. It's just composing mail that seems to have
    >> screwed up, and like I said, I don't know why - I can't think of any
    >> event that may have caused this.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do about this?
    >>

    > Here's a WAG - it sounds like you don't have write access to some
    > directory that is used while composing mail. I don't know why that
    > should be different from the one that you use to read and store mail,
    > but that would be my first guess. Check your config files - probably
    > prefs.js located in your account directory under ~/.thunderbird/
    >
    > Report back!

    I don't have a ~/.thunderbird directory... in fact, I look at my home
    directory and I don't see *anything* that's readily identifiable as a
    Thunderbird config file.

    If anyone can tell me what the Thunderbird config files are called, I'll
    be very appreciative.

    --

    "Think of the children! Won't somebody think of the children?!" - Moe

  7. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:02:20 +0100 (CET), firebrand wrote:

    > I don't have a ~/.thunderbird directory... in fact, I look at my home
    > directory and I don't see *anything* that's readily identifiable as a
    > Thunderbird config file.
    >
    > If anyone can tell me what the Thunderbird config files are called, I'll
    > be very appreciative.

    $ cd ~/.thunderbird
    $ ls *
    appreg profiles.ini

    vygwzfog.default:
    abook.mab extensions.ini mailViews.dat US
    blocklist.xml extensions.rdf mimeTypes.rdf virtualFolders.dat
    cert8.db history.mab News XPC.mfasl
    compatibility.ini key3.db panacea.dat xpti.dat
    compreg.dat localstore.rdf prefs.js XUL.mfasl
    extensions lock secmod.db
    extensions.cache Mail signons.txt

  8. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:27:14 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:02:20 +0100 (CET), firebrand wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't have a ~/.thunderbird directory... in fact, I look at my home
    >> directory and I don't see *anything* that's readily identifiable as a
    >> Thunderbird config file.
    >>
    >> If anyone can tell me what the Thunderbird config files are called,
    >> I'll be very appreciative.

    > $ cd ~/.thunderbird
    > $ ls *
    > appreg profiles.ini
    >
    > vygwzfog.default:
    > abook.mab extensions.ini mailViews.dat US blocklist.xml
    > extensions.rdf mimeTypes.rdf virtualFolders.dat cert8.db
    > history.mab News XPC.mfasl compatibility.ini key3.db
    > panacea.dat xpti.dat compreg.dat localstore.rdf prefs.js
    > XUL.mfasl extensions lock secmod.db
    > extensions.cache Mail signons.txt

    firebrand@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/.thunderbird
    bash: cd: /home/firebrand/.thunderbird: No such file or directory
    firebrand@ubuntu:~$

    So, I guess I have to reinstall.

    Thing is, I can't remember anything happening that would account for my
    ~/.thunderbird directory disappearing.

    --

    "When one burns books, one ends up burning people" - Heine

  9. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    My friend could also not compose an email in thunderbird, so I fixed it for her. What I did was to change the file and directory permissions of her thunderbird directory:
    From your home directory:
    $ cd .thunderbird
    in this directory, you should have a file profiles.ini
    $ more profiles.ini
    now you should see which directory thunderbird use, look at Path=yourdir.default in profiles.ini
    $ chmod 777 yourdir.default
    $ chmod 775 -R yourdir.default

    Now restart thunderbird and you should be able to type in the body text.
    You can also set in your Nautilus file browser, if you change View->Show Hidden Files, if you have a .thunderbird directory

  10. Re: Thunderbird won't let me compose emails anymore!

    login as administrator. try to run in samba:

    set as administrator or login administrator in cmd(windows), samba(Linux)
    $ ls * (list directory)

+ Reply to Thread