2 more newb questions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 2 more newb questions - Ubuntu ; I'm running Ubuntu 7.10. on a Compaq 1.4G Celeron. 1st situation) It's only got onboard 4mb video. It works but I'm thinking I'd like to bump that up a bit. There is a 4x AGP slot. The question: Is there ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: 2 more newb questions

  1. 2 more newb questions

    I'm running Ubuntu 7.10. on a Compaq 1.4G Celeron.

    1st situation) It's only got onboard 4mb video. It works but I'm thinking
    I'd like to bump that up a bit. There is a 4x AGP slot. The question: Is
    there an easy way to figure out if a given board is compatible and if
    drivers are available? I'm looking on my usual parts sources (ebay and
    geeks.com) for an inexpensive 32-64mb board.

    2nd situation) Getting file sharing to work. I have a home network...
    dslmodem to a router then to a wireless router. All of the other machines
    are windows. I can talk to the internet. I can see other computers when I
    look at the network. I can't get access to the shared folders and I can't
    seem to be able to turn on file sharing (nfs and/or samba). I've gone into
    a terminal and tried sudo apt-get install samba and it tells me it can't
    because samba is already in use by smbclient (I think that's right). I've
    googled... (in fact a google window is open now and when I post this, I'll
    be back there looking more) but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had
    a handy pointer to an "even you can do it" method.

    Thanks in advance
    Ed



  2. Re: 2 more newb questions

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > I'm running Ubuntu 7.10. on a Compaq 1.4G Celeron.
    >
    > 1st situation) It's only got onboard 4mb video. It works but I'm thinking
    > I'd like to bump that up a bit. There is a 4x AGP slot. The question: Is
    > there an easy way to figure out if a given board is compatible and if
    > drivers are available? I'm looking on my usual parts sources (ebay and
    > geeks.com) for an inexpensive 32-64mb board.


    You should be able to find a decent nVidia card for cheap, even 128MB.
    NVidia has very good Linux support.

    Here's one for $30 (same one as I use with dual monitors):

    http://tinyurl.com/3bwczv

    Stay away from ATI.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....goin' mobile with MEPIS Linux v7
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  3. Re: 2 more newb questions


    "Mark Warner" wrote in message
    news:60a6j2F1pg52iU1@mid.individual.net...
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> I'm running Ubuntu 7.10. on a Compaq 1.4G Celeron.
    >>
    >> 1st situation) It's only got onboard 4mb video. It works but I'm
    >> thinking I'd like to bump that up a bit. There is a 4x AGP slot. The
    >> question: Is there an easy way to figure out if a given board is
    >> compatible and if drivers are available? I'm looking on my usual parts
    >> sources (ebay and geeks.com) for an inexpensive 32-64mb board.

    >
    > You should be able to find a decent nVidia card for cheap, even 128MB.
    > NVidia has very good Linux support.
    >
    > Here's one for $30 (same one as I use with dual monitors):
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3bwczv
    >
    > Stay away from ATI.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Warner
    > ...goin' mobile with MEPIS Linux v7
    > Registered Linux User #415318
    > ...lose .inhibitions when replying


    Thanks a million.

    Ed



  4. Re: 2 more newb questions

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > I'm running Ubuntu 7.10. on a Compaq 1.4G Celeron.
    >
    > 1st situation) It's only got onboard 4mb video. It works but I'm
    > thinking
    > I'd like to bump that up a bit. There is a 4x AGP slot. The question:
    > Is there an easy way to figure out if a given board is compatible and if
    > drivers are available? I'm looking on my usual parts sources (ebay and
    > geeks.com) for an inexpensive 32-64mb board.
    >

    As Mark has pointed out, nvidia is the card of choice, if you want 3d and
    the ability to run compiz on your box. Matrox (450/550) is alright too, if
    3d is not an issue. The older cards are really cheap, but do a fine job
    with Linux and can give you dual monitor if that is of interest to you.

    > 2nd situation) Getting file sharing to work. I have a home network...
    > dslmodem to a router then to a wireless router. All of the other machines
    > are windows. I can talk to the internet. I can see other computers when
    > I
    > look at the network. I can't get access to the shared folders and I can't
    > seem to be able to turn on file sharing (nfs and/or samba). I've gone
    > into a terminal and tried sudo apt-get install samba and it tells me it
    > can't
    > because samba is already in use by smbclient (I think that's right). I've
    > googled... (in fact a google window is open now and when I post this,
    > I'll be back there looking more) but I figured I'd ask here to see if
    > anyone had a handy pointer to an "even you can do it" method.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Ed


    I've not ever seen that error. Maybe you can try turning samba off, although
    it doesn't look like other than the smbclient is installed. Try this and
    see what happens. If nothing, well, then you obviously don't have the samba
    server installed:

    sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop

    If you only have the client, maybe take a look inside
    the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and see whether it is using the same workgroup
    as your Windows boxes are.

    Cheers.


    --
    The world can't afford the rich.


  5. Re: 2 more newb questions

    NoStop wrote:

    >>

    >
    > As Mark has pointed out, nvidia is the card of choice, if you want 3d and
    > the ability to run compiz on your box. Matrox (450/550) is alright too, if
    > 3d is not an issue. The older cards are really cheap, but do a fine job
    > with Linux and can give you dual monitor if that is of interest to you.


    Horse****! You're a fukkin liar or else you have no idea what you're
    talking about. Proly the latter. Urbuttoo could not even recognize my
    Matrox P750 video card.
    POS os...a real toy!
    Frank

  6. Re: 2 more newb questions

    Frank wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >>>

    >>
    >> As Mark has pointed out, nvidia is the card of choice, if you want 3d and
    >> the ability to run compiz on your box. Matrox (450/550) is alright too,
    >> if 3d is not an issue. The older cards are really cheap, but do a fine
    >> job with Linux and can give you dual monitor if that is of interest to
    >> you.

    >
    > Horse****! You're a fukkin liar or else you have no idea what you're
    > talking about. Proly the latter. Urbuttoo could not even recognize my
    > Matrox P750 video card.
    > POS os...a real toy!
    > Frank


    There you go again Frankie Boy, displaying your inability to read and
    comprehend. Look way up and read again what I said ... Matrox (450/550).
    They are well supported. Your card, who knows? I certainly don't give a
    fsck. Only the village idiot like you would have problems installing Linux.
    Stick with Vista, you're meant for each other.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.


  7. Re: 2 more newb questions

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:23:25 -0800, Frank wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>

    >> As Mark has pointed out, nvidia is the card of choice, if you want 3d
    >> and the ability to run compiz on your box. Matrox (450/550) is alright
    >> too, if 3d is not an issue. The older cards are really cheap, but do a
    >> fine job with Linux and can give you dual monitor if that is of
    >> interest to you.

    >
    > Horse****! You're a fukkin liar or else you have no idea what you're
    > talking about. Proly the latter. Urbuttoo could not even recognize my
    > Matrox P750 video card.
    > POS os...a real toy!
    > Frank


    And I see that your cursing is non-existent as per your other reply.

  8. Re: 2 more newb questions

    ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:23:25 -0800, Frank wrote:
    >
    >
    >>NoStop wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>As Mark has pointed out, nvidia is the card of choice, if you want 3d
    >>>and the ability to run compiz on your box. Matrox (450/550) is alright
    >>>too, if 3d is not an issue. The older cards are really cheap, but do a
    >>>fine job with Linux and can give you dual monitor if that is of
    >>>interest to you.

    >>
    >>Horse****! You're a fukkin liar or else you have no idea what you're
    >>talking about. Proly the latter. Urbuttoo could not even recognize my
    >>Matrox P750 video card.
    >>POS os...a real toy!
    >>Frank

    >
    >
    > And I see that your cursing is non-existent as per your other reply.


    Oh now that's very helpful ray.
    Thanks.
    Frank

    oh, nostop is a fukkin cross-dressing lying linux loser.
    He also happens to be wearing a football helmet all the time...LOL!
    go figure?

  9. Re: 2 more newb questions

    NoStop wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >
    >>NoStop wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>As Mark has pointed out, nvidia is the card of choice, if you want 3d and
    >>>the ability to run compiz on your box. Matrox (450/550) is alright too,
    >>>if 3d is not an issue. The older cards are really cheap, but do a fine
    >>>job with Linux and can give you dual monitor if that is of interest to
    >>>you.

    >>
    >>Horse****! You're a fukkin liar or else you have no idea what you're
    >>talking about. Proly the latter. Urbuttoo could not even recognize my
    >>Matrox P750 video card.
    >>POS os...a real toy!
    >>Frank

    >
    >
    > There you go again Frankie Boy, displaying your inability to read and
    > comprehend. Look way up and read again what I said ... Matrox (450/550).


    No **** doris...read what I said...Matrox P750. The card is a an AGP
    64meg 8X card. Very popular and about 3-4 yrs old.

    > They are well supported. Your card, who knows?


    Well ubuntu doesn't know.

    I certainly don't give a
    > fsck.


    Then why are you over at my ng taking a crap all the time. Are you lost
    or just stupid huh?

    Only the village idiot like you would have problems installing Linux.

    Pretty dumb answer considering ubuntu did not and would not recognize my
    Matrox card. All versions of Windows immediately knew the card.

    > Stick with Vista, you're meant for each other.


    Oh I did install ubuntu on another box that has an ATI 9600xt card. I
    played with it for about two weeks then deleted it.
    But you're right. I run my business using Windows...mainly Vista
    Ultimate and running into jerks like you will most probably keep me with
    Windows.
    Frank

    Yeah, Cheers.


  10. Re: 2 more newb questions


    "NoStop" wrote in message
    news:cXRnj.23731$4w.15366@pd7urf2no...
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> 2nd situation) Getting file sharing to work. I have a home network...
    >> dslmodem to a router then to a wireless router. All of the other
    >> machines
    >> are windows. I can talk to the internet. I can see other computers when
    >> I
    >> look at the network. I can't get access to the shared folders and I
    >> can't
    >> seem to be able to turn on file sharing (nfs and/or samba). I've gone
    >> into a terminal and tried sudo apt-get install samba and it tells me it
    >> can't
    >> because samba is already in use by smbclient (I think that's right).
    >> I've
    >> googled... (in fact a google window is open now and when I post this,
    >> I'll be back there looking more) but I figured I'd ask here to see if
    >> anyone had a handy pointer to an "even you can do it" method.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Ed

    >
    > I've not ever seen that error. Maybe you can try turning samba off,
    > although
    > it doesn't look like other than the smbclient is installed. Try this and
    > see what happens. If nothing, well, then you obviously don't have the
    > samba
    > server installed:
    >
    > sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop
    >
    > If you only have the client, maybe take a look inside
    > the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and see whether it is using the same
    > workgroup
    > as your Windows boxes are.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    >


    The other thing that happens... when I go and try to make my "Share Folder"
    a share folder, I get the little box that tells me I need to install nfs and
    samba. Both are selected, I hit the install button and I get the little
    "thinking" cursor for a few seconds and then the orig. box pops up telling
    me (once again), nfs and samba are not installed. Frustrating it is...
    mostly because it is because I don't know what to do. I have not gone in
    and set a samba password yet. When I installed ubuntu, because I wasn't
    hooked up to the net, I skipped the network screens. Did I miss something
    crucial by doing so?

    Ed




  11. Re: 2 more newb questions

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:00:22 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "NoStop" wrote in message
    > news:cXRnj.23731$4w.15366@pd7urf2no...


    > The other thing that happens... when I go and try to make my "Share
    > Folder" a share folder, I get the little box that tells me I need to
    > install nfs and samba. Both are selected, I hit the install button and
    > I get the little "thinking" cursor for a few seconds and then the orig.
    > box pops up telling me (once again), nfs and samba are not installed.
    > Frustrating it is... mostly because it is because I don't know what to
    > do. I have not gone in and set a samba password yet. When I installed
    > ubuntu, because I wasn't hooked up to the net, I skipped the network
    > screens. Did I miss something crucial by doing so?
    >
    > Ed


    I think your last sentences give the (or a) solution. I've found that
    when the network and attached printers are turned on during installation,
    they are all detected and set up correctly. If hardware is turned off,
    sometimes (but not always!) they are not detected next time they are on,
    and it can be a fight with samba to make the system know that they are
    there. I'm afraid I've never investigated this very well, but just make
    sure everything is running before a new install or update.

    Keith

  12. Re: 2 more newb questions

    * Frank wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > No **** doris...read what I said...Matrox P750. The card is a an AGP
    > 64meg 8X card. Very popular and about 3-4 yrs old.



    Minimum system requirements:

    System: AGP 3.0 compliant system
    128 MB RAM
    600 MHz CPU
    Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows® XP, or Linux
    (check regularly for updates on support for other operating systems)
    CD-ROM drive


    Oh, Look, No Vista support but lookie here, Linux is supported. LOL What a
    loser

    Yeah, you've been using it for 10 years, ROTFLMMFAO!!!!111eleventy

    --
    David

  13. Re: 2 more newb questions


    "keith" wrote in message
    news:-LudnSdZnuBKBD3anZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@bt.com...
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:00:22 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> "NoStop" wrote in message
    >> news:cXRnj.23731$4w.15366@pd7urf2no...

    >
    >> The other thing that happens... when I go and try to make my "Share
    >> Folder" a share folder, I get the little box that tells me I need to
    >> install nfs and samba. Both are selected, I hit the install button and
    >> I get the little "thinking" cursor for a few seconds and then the orig.
    >> box pops up telling me (once again), nfs and samba are not installed.
    >> Frustrating it is... mostly because it is because I don't know what to
    >> do. I have not gone in and set a samba password yet. When I installed
    >> ubuntu, because I wasn't hooked up to the net, I skipped the network
    >> screens. Did I miss something crucial by doing so?
    >>
    >> Ed

    >
    > I think your last sentences give the (or a) solution. I've found that
    > when the network and attached printers are turned on during installation,
    > they are all detected and set up correctly. If hardware is turned off,
    > sometimes (but not always!) they are not detected next time they are on,
    > and it can be a fight with samba to make the system know that they are
    > there. I'm afraid I've never investigated this very well, but just make
    > sure everything is running before a new install or update.
    >
    > Keith


    So just maybe a re-install would fix it? I've only had the mahcine up and
    running for a week. I'd be a pain in the neck but it's do-able, that is to
    say I wouldn't lose much of anything if I tried it.

    Ed



  14. Re: 2 more newb questions

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Frank wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >
    >>No **** doris...read what I said...Matrox P750. The card is a an AGP
    >>64meg 8X card. Very popular and about 3-4 yrs old.

    >
    >
    >
    > Minimum system requirements:
    >
    > System: AGP 3.0 compliant system
    > 128 MB RAM
    > 600 MHz CPU
    > Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows® XP, or Linux
    > (check regularly for updates on support for other operating systems)
    > CD-ROM drive
    >
    >
    > Oh, Look, No Vista support but lookie here, Linux is supported. LOL What a
    > loser
    >
    > Yeah, you've been using it for 10 years, ROTFLMMFAO!!!!111eleventy
    >

    So what exactly are you afraid of david?
    Frank

  15. Re: 2 more newb questions

    * Frank wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Frank wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>
    >>>No **** doris...read what I said...Matrox P750. The card is a an AGP
    >>>64meg 8X card. Very popular and about 3-4 yrs old.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Minimum system requirements:
    >>
    >> System: AGP 3.0 compliant system
    >> 128 MB RAM
    >> 600 MHz CPU
    >> Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows® XP, or Linux
    >> (check regularly for updates on support for other operating
    >> systems)

    >
    >> CD-ROM drive
    >>
    >>
    >> Oh, Look, No Vista support but lookie here, Linux is supported. LOL
    >> Wha

    > t a
    >> loser
    >>
    >> Yeah, you've been using it for 10 years, ROTFLMMFAO!!!!111eleventy
    >>

    > So what exactly are you afraid of david?


    Try as I might I cant seem to find any fear expressed in my post. If
    you'd be so kind as to point out where I mentioned that I was afraid of
    anything I'd glady answer your querey.

    The only one expressing fear seems to be you. If Vista is all you say it
    is then your endless child like ramblings would be unnecessary since
    Linux will be gone in a day or so since it sucks so badly. Why waste the
    effort and make yourself look like a fool?

    While you are at it please explain the fact that you mention why the card
    above would not work under linux since Matrox provides the necessary
    drivers for that OS but seems lacking in the almighty Vista department.

    --
    David


  16. Re: 2 more newb questions


    "Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
    news:fnq7k7$59d$1@aioe.org...
    >
    > "keith" wrote in message
    > news:-LudnSdZnuBKBD3anZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@bt.com...
    >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:00:22 -0500, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >>
    >>> "NoStop" wrote in message
    >>> news:cXRnj.23731$4w.15366@pd7urf2no...

    >>
    >>> The other thing that happens... when I go and try to make my "Share
    >>> Folder" a share folder, I get the little box that tells me I need to
    >>> install nfs and samba. Both are selected, I hit the install button and
    >>> I get the little "thinking" cursor for a few seconds and then the orig.
    >>> box pops up telling me (once again), nfs and samba are not installed.
    >>> Frustrating it is... mostly because it is because I don't know what to
    >>> do. I have not gone in and set a samba password yet. When I installed
    >>> ubuntu, because I wasn't hooked up to the net, I skipped the network
    >>> screens. Did I miss something crucial by doing so?
    >>>
    >>> Ed

    >>
    >> I think your last sentences give the (or a) solution. I've found that
    >> when the network and attached printers are turned on during installation,
    >> they are all detected and set up correctly. If hardware is turned off,
    >> sometimes (but not always!) they are not detected next time they are on,
    >> and it can be a fight with samba to make the system know that they are
    >> there. I'm afraid I've never investigated this very well, but just make
    >> sure everything is running before a new install or update.
    >>
    >> Keith

    >
    > So just maybe a re-install would fix it? I've only had the mahcine up and
    > running for a week. I'd be a pain in the neck but it's do-able, that is
    > to say I wouldn't lose much of anything if I tried it.
    >
    > Ed
    >


    Replying to my own post...

    I've gone for the re-install choice. If nothing else, there is nearly 250mb
    of updates I don't remember getting on the previous install. Hopefully
    this'll work.

    Ed



  17. Re: 2 more newb questions

    Wank wrote:

    > Then why are you over at my ng taking a crap all the time.


    *Your* "ng"? Do you *own* one? Who did you buy it from? I've got a nice
    bridge I can sell you...

    What a fool!

    C.

  18. Re: 2 more newb questions

    SINNER wrote:

    > Try as I might I cant seem to find any fear expressed in my post. If
    > you'd be so kind as to point out where I mentioned that I was afraid of
    > anything I'd glady answer your query.


    Excellent. The only one scared around here is "Frank" - his pet "operating
    system" has been shown up for just another polished turd from Microsoft, so
    he feels that the best form of defence is attack... He tries (and fails)
    to describe Linux and its various distros as worse than Vista. HAHAHAHAHA!

    > The only one expressing fear seems to be you. If Vista is all you say it
    > is then your endless child like ramblings would be unnecessary since
    > Linux will be gone in a day or so since it sucks so badly. Why waste the
    > effort and make yourself look like a fool?


    I'm not sure if "Frank" understands quite how stupid he makes himself
    appear.

    > While you are at it please explain the fact that you mention why the card
    > above would not work under linux since Matrox provides the necessary
    > drivers for that OS but seems lacking in the almighty Vista department.


    Vista has no drivers for the *vast* *majority* of hardware out there.
    That's why MS can't /give/ it away to OEMs. That's also why most
    manufacturers are offering XP *upgrades!*

    C.

  19. Re: 2 more newb questions

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    ....nothing with any factual basis...as usual.
    Frank

  20. Re: 2 more newb questions

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Wank wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Then why are you over at my ng taking a crap all the time.

    >
    >
    > *Your* "ng"? Do you *own* one? Who did you buy it from? I've got a nice
    > bridge I can sell you...
    >
    > What a fool!
    >
    > C.


    Yeah, you seem stupid enough to have bought a bridge.
    But I'm surprised a broke loser like you could scrap up the necessary
    funds.
    Did you use a cc or get a bank loan?
    Keep it!
    It's yours...you own it...LOL!
    Idiot!
    Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast