sshd - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on sshd - Ubuntu ; PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD. All the web pages I have so far gone through contain wrong information. Everywhere there is this: - sudo apt-get install openssh-server It doesn't work. How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ...

  1. sshd

    PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD.
    All the web pages I have so far gone through contain wrong information.
    Everywhere there is this:
    - sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    It doesn't work.

    How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?

    I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out.
    My opinion is that Linux without SSHD is about as useless system as
    M$Windows !

  2. Re: sshd

    PTM wrote:
    > PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD.
    > All the web pages I have so far gone through contain wrong information.
    > Everywhere there is this:
    > - sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    > It doesn't work.
    >
    > How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?
    >
    > I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out.
    > My opinion is that Linux without SSHD is about as useless system as
    > M$Windows !

    Hell, it's useless anyway. It won't run any software worth having.
    Get Vista...it's very best OS available today.
    Frank

  3. Re: sshd

    On 2008-01-29, Frank wrote:
    > PTM wrote:
    >> PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD.
    >> All the web pages I have so far gone through contain wrong information.
    >> Everywhere there is this:
    >> - sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    >> It doesn't work.
    >>
    >> How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?
    >>
    >> I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out.
    >> My opinion is that Linux without SSHD is about as useless system as
    >> M$Windows !

    > Hell, it's useless anyway. It won't run any software worth having.
    > Get Vista...it's very best OS available today.
    > Frank

    Thanks Roger

  4. Re: sshd

    On 2008-01-29, PTM wrote:
    > PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD.
    > All the web pages I have so far gone through contain wrong information.
    > Everywhere there is this:
    > - sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    > It doesn't work.

    Good, we know it does not work. So what error messages are you getting?

    > How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?

    Have you tried the GUI synaptic way? Search for ssh should do it.

    > I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out.

    Because, a) one can put it in and b) Ubuntu is aimed at the desktop for
    first time users.

    > My opinion is that Linux without SSHD is about as useless system as
    > M$Windows !

    Depends on what you are trying to do, or are doing. ;-

  5. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    Frank wrote:
    > PTM wrote:
    >> PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD.
    >> All the web pages I have so far gone through contain wrong
    >> information. Everywhere there is this:
    >> - sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    >> It doesn't work.
    >>
    >> How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?
    >>
    >> I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out.
    >> My opinion is that Linux without SSHD is about as useless system as
    >> M$Windows !

    > Hell, it's useless anyway. It won't run any software worth having.
    > Get Vista...it's very best OS available today.
    > Frank

    PTM: Hello Bill !
    What do you mean by 'best'
    - needs enormous quantities memory and HD
    - needs a overgrown processor
    - is a multimedia system for laboratory and office
    - has tools for office work in a multimedia OS
    - has even more more useless small windows than WinXP and Versiles.
    - is a hell to configure
    - old programs don't work with it
    - there is no drivers for old laboratory devices
    - all the time it tries to make decisions for you like some braindamaged
    artifical intelligence system.
    - comes in at least four models without proper profiles
    - is expensive like hell

    I could carry on writing this list for some hours, but you know yourself
    what it is like - if you got to install and configure computers yourself
    and have been in this bussiness for some years.

    I approximated that M$Windows plus M$Office in a company of 5 persons
    costs as much as the 6th worker. This expence comes from the licenses
    for M$ and third party programs. It comes from costs of changing and
    expanding PCs, time of installation, configuration, modification and
    repair. And lost work hours for the 5 persons and the PC administrator.
    It even comes from modems, printers and scanners for whom you can't find
    new drivers.

    For example: every time your HD crashes or you got to upgrade your PC,
    you lose a M$Office licence. -And it is EXPENSIVE, when you got to buy
    it as a small company packet.

    I like to make my own decisions. I'd call a computer system
    'Intelligent' as soon as I meet one with papers of Master of Science.
    M$Windows has a long way to go.

  6. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    PTM wrote:

    > For example: every time your HD crashes or you got to upgrade your PC,
    > you lose a M$Office licence. -And it is EXPENSIVE, when you got to buy
    > it as a small company packet.

    Not true.

    Alias

  7. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    Alias wrote:
    > PTM wrote:
    >> For example: every time your HD crashes or you got to upgrade your PC,
    >> you lose a M$Office licence. -And it is EXPENSIVE, when you got to buy
    >> it as a small company packet.

    > Not true.

    PTM: Been there, seen that.
    Which part wasn't true ?
    - It is expensive
    - Small office packet of Office XP had one CD and 5 licenses. In case of
    crash you could get one extra licence when you called M$ import agency,
    if you cry long and loud enough. This licence was checked through the
    net and you could not install it but once. And thats it.

  8. Re: sshd

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-01-29, PTM wrote:
    >> PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD.
    >> All the web pages I have so far gone through contain wrong information.
    >> Everywhere there is this:
    >> - sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    >> It doesn't work.

    > Good, we know it does not work. So what error messages are you getting?

    PTM: I know this might contain something extremely simple, but this is
    first time I'm configuring Ubuntu or Debian. I have been in Slackware
    for years.

    luser@univac:~$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    [sudo] password for luser:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package openssh-server is not available, but is referred to by another
    package.
    is only available from another source
    E: Package openssh-server has no installation candidate
    luser@univac:~$ sudo apt-get install sshd
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package sshd
    luser@univac:~$

    >> How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?
    >>

    > Have you tried the GUI synaptic way? Search for ssh should do it.

    PTM: I tried, but I cant find openSSh or sshd there

    >> I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out.

    > Because, a) one can put it in and b) Ubuntu is aimed at the desktop for
    > first time users.

    PTM: I like that. Keep it simple. Still people in my environment use it
    daily.

    >> My opinion is that Linux without SSHD is about as useless system as
    >> M$Windows !

    > Depends on what you are trying to do, or are doing. ;-

    PTM: True. Still SSHD is very handy, when you move from PC to another
    and have something running in your main box. Samba or tools like VPN
    don't give you all the tools needed.

  9. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    PTM wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> PTM wrote:
    >>> For example: every time your HD crashes or you got to upgrade your
    >>> PC, you lose a M$Office licence. -And it is EXPENSIVE, when you got
    >>> to buy it as a small company packet.

    >> Not true.

    > PTM: Been there, seen that.
    > Which part wasn't true ?
    > - It is expensive

    True.

    > - Small office packet of Office XP had one CD and 5 licenses. In case of
    > crash you could get one extra licence when you called M$ import agency,
    > if you cry long and loud enough. This licence was checked through the
    > net and you could not install it but once. And thats it.

    You can reinstall the same license on the same, upgraded or repaired
    computer as much as you like, although phone activation may be necessary
    if hardware is changed.

    Alias

  10. Re: sshd

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:56:58 +0200, PTM wrote:

    > PTM: It seems that Ubuntu is missing SSHD. All the web pages I have so
    > far gone through contain wrong information. Everywhere there is this:
    > - sudo apt-get install openssh-server It doesn't work.

    The web pages haven't got it wrong. You obviously haven't got your
    repositories enabled correctly. I searched Synaptic for "openssh-server"
    and found it no problem.

    > How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?

    Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, then Settings >
    Repositories. I have got Ubuntu Software, Third Party Software and
    Updates all selected - you might want to do the same. Then, still in
    Synaptic, do a Search for openssh-server. Mark it for installation,
    click Apply, and in no time at all it'll be installed for you.

    > I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out. My opinion is that Linux
    > without SSHD is about as useless system as M$Windows !

    What makes Ubuntu sans sshd useless? Sure, running a ssh server can be
    useful (it can also be a security hazard if it's not necessary or
    incorrectly configured) but Ubuntu is good for a lot more than just
    running a ssh server. Unless you have very, very limited need for a
    computer.

    --

    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    - Albert Einstein

  11. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:03:33 +0100, Alias wrote:

    > PTM wrote:
    >

    >> For example: every time your HD crashes or you got to upgrade your PC,
    >> you lose a M$Office licence. -And it is EXPENSIVE, when you got to buy
    >> it as a small company packet.

    > Not true.

    The stuff about needing a new licence if your HD crashes may not be true,
    but it's certainly true that MS-stuff is expensive. Anything marketed on
    such licensing restrictions as MS-stuff is expensive.

    --

    "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
    - Henry Spencer

  12. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    firebrand wrote:

    > The stuff about needing a new licence if your HD crashes may not be true,
    > but it's certainly true that MS-stuff is expensive. Anything marketed on
    > such licensing restrictions as MS-stuff is expensive.

    Expensive? Compared to what? A couple of hundred bucks USD for the very
    best OS available today is a BARGAIN!!!
    Well worth every single penny!
    Frank

  13. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    On 2008-01-30, Frank wrote:

    > Expensive? Compared to what? A couple of hundred bucks USD for the very
    > best OS available today is a BARGAIN!!!
    > Well worth every single penny!

    Sure, a couple hundred bucks would be a bargain for Linux, but you can
    get it for free...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: sshd

    firebrand wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:56:58 +0200, PTM wrote:
    >
    >> How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?

    > Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, then Settings >
    > Repositories. I have got Ubuntu Software, Third Party Software and
    > Updates all selected - you might want to do the same. Then, still in
    > Synaptic, do a Search for openssh-server. Mark it for installation,
    > click Apply, and in no time at all it'll be installed for you.

    PTM: Great many thanks !
    It did the work.
    Still I wonder what happened, because I had installed some other
    packages to this very PC and they have come nicely from the net.
    Still. This is a minor problem globally thinking and I think it has been
    something I have done.

    Thank You !
    It was a pleasure to find there is somebody willing to help idiots like me !

  15. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    PTM wrote:
    > For example: every time your HD crashes or you got to upgrade your PC,
    > you lose a M$Office licence.

    Not so. I'm no fan of M$ either, but I have rebuilt my disk
    after crash at least three times and am still running the
    same Office that I purchased several years ago.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
    http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

  16. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > PTM wrote:
    >> For example: every time your HD crashes or you got to upgrade your PC,
    >> you lose a M$Office licence.

    > Not so. I'm no fan of M$ either, but I have rebuilt my disk
    > after crash at least three times and am still running the
    > same Office that I purchased several years ago.

    PTM: IT seems there is differences in the licenses of M$. It might be
    there is differences in local / national rules of them. It might be this
    is connected to the _SMALL OFFICE PACKET_.
    In any case. When the HD crashed and I installed the packet to the new
    disk in the very same PC, it told me the license cannot be used. I could
    open Word, but it checked something in the net and told that it don't
    save the files.
    I called Microsoft and they told me that the code can not be moved to a
    new HD. After very long and not so polite discussions they cave me
    another code in phone and I had to send them confirmation in email.
    When the next HD crashed, they didn't give a new code.
    Now there is OpenOffice.

  17. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    > You can reinstall the same license on the same, upgraded or repaired
    > computer as much as you like, although phone activation may be necessary
    > if hardware is changed.

    PTM: So you say. The M$ representative told me just as I told before: it
    is one installation and thats all, if you have this Small Office Packet.
    For the one re-installation of M$Office I had to talk, pry, cry and
    shout to the phone for about half an hour.
    That time we decided to move to OpenOffice ASAP. The Boss was ready to
    buy the license for OpenOffice just to get rid of M$.

  18. Re: sshd (comment abt Vista)

    Frank wrote:
    > Expensive? Compared to what? A couple of hundred bucks USD for the very
    > best OS available today is a BARGAIN!!!
    > Well worth every single penny!
    > Frank

    PTM: I wonder, why you are here at Linux list, if you are enthusiastic
    with M$ and willing to pay the price of it ?
    It might be worth of a penny as you said.
    I'm not ready to pay the price.

  19. Re: sshd

    firebrand wrote:
    >> How should I install SSHD to Ubuntu ?

    > Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, then Settings >
    > Repositories....

    PTM: Thank you I'm waiting hot to get to my PC to try this.

    >> I don't understand at all WHY sshd is left out. My opinion is that Linux
    >> without SSHD is about as useless system as M$Windows !

    > What makes Ubuntu sans sshd useless? Sure, running a ssh server can be
    > useful (it can also be a security hazard if it's not necessary or
    > incorrectly configured) but Ubuntu is good for a lot more than just
    > running a ssh server. Unless you have very, very limited need for a
    > computer.

    PTM: I should have said 'useless for me'
    Yes, I have rather limited use for these computers.
    And Yes. Ubuntu is a nice packet and I'm going to test some programs,
    which are optimized for Debian and Ubuntu.
    The securtiy aspect is allways there, when the mass of binaries gets larger.

+ Reply to Thread