Re: Linux Banned At My School - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Linux Banned At My School - Ubuntu ; The "true linux advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile expert", "X specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "defragger professional", "newsreader magician", "hardware maven", "time coordinator" and "email sage" Hadron Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Richard, aka Damian O'Leary wrote: > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Re: Linux Banned At My School

  1. Re: Linux Banned At My School

    The "true linux advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile
    expert", "X specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "defragger
    professional", "newsreader magician", "hardware maven", "time coordinator"
    and "email sage" Hadron Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Richard, aka
    Damian O'Leary wrote:

    > Davorin Vlahovic writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-01-28, Linonut wrote:
    >>> Then also unload the netfilter modules, if you think that is an issue.

    >>
    >> And how many kernels today come with netfilter as a module?

    >


    Basically all of them. Netfilter is usually compiled as "m" in the config of
    any given kernel

    > Aha. You have met Liarnut?
    >
    > His replies tend to be a hotch potch of under researched Google queries.


    Poor Hadron Quark. Another feature of "kernel hacking" which totally was
    over your extremely low level. But then, you are just a "kernel hacker"

    You should try to invastigate some day before burning your tongue like that.
    It takes all of 3 seconds to take a look if you don't know.

    Well, you don't know (why am I not surprised). And you did not take a look
    (afterall, it is easier if one actually *runs* linux. You don't)

    --
    Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.


  2. Re: Linux Banned At My School

    On 2008-01-28, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > The "true linux advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile
    > expert", "X specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "defragger
    > professional", "newsreader magician", "hardware maven", "time coordinator"
    > and "email sage" Hadron Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Richard, aka
    > Damian O'Leary wrote:
    >
    >> Davorin Vlahovic writes:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-01-28, Linonut wrote:
    >>>> Then also unload the netfilter modules, if you think that is an issue.
    >>>
    >>> And how many kernels today come with netfilter as a module?

    >
    > Basically all of them. Netfilter is usually compiled as "m" in the config of
    > any given kernel


    Haven't seen one in a veeery long time.

    >> Aha. You have met Liarnut?
    >>
    >> His replies tend to be a hotch potch of under researched Google queries.

    >
    > Poor Hadron Quark. Another feature of "kernel hacking" which totally was
    > over your extremely low level. But then, you are just a "kernel hacker"
    >
    > You should try to invastigate some day before burning your tongue like that.
    > It takes all of 3 seconds to take a look if you don't know.
    >
    > Well, you don't know (why am I not surprised). And you did not take a look
    > (afterall, it is easier if one actually *runs* linux. You don't)


    Perhaps you should get him on this one in another post?
    --
    Large Systems Suck. This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you suck.
    -- Steve Yegge

  3. Re: Linux Banned At My School

    * Davorin Vlahovic peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Basically all of them. Netfilter is usually compiled as "m" in the config of
    >> any given kernel

    >
    > Haven't seen one in a veeery long time.


    My 2.6.24 config:

    # Core Netfilter Configuration
    #
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_LOG=m

    . . .

    CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE=m
    CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=m
    CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_IPRANGE=m
    CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=m

    . . .

    CONFIG_IP6_NF_QUEUE=m
    CONFIG_IP6_NF_IPTABLES=m
    CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_RT=m
    CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_OPTS=m

    . . .

    CONFIG_DECNET_NF_GRABULATOR=m

    . . .

    Had to add that last one, I like the name. Reminds me of the "graboids"
    on "Tremors".

    Anyway, if you're running Debian you will find a config file in /boot.

    --
    Before all else, be armed.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

  4. Re: Linux Banned At My School

    On 2008-01-31, Linonut wrote:
    > * Davorin Vlahovic peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> Basically all of them. Netfilter is usually compiled as "m" in the config of
    >>> any given kernel

    >>
    >> Haven't seen one in a veeery long time.

    >
    > My 2.6.24 config:


    Rolled your own?

    > Anyway, if you're running Debian you will find a config file in /boot.


    No, I roll my own kernels, original config files are long (long!) gone


    --
    Large Systems Suck. This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you suck.
    -- Steve Yegge

  5. Re: Linux Banned At My School

    * Davorin Vlahovic peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-01-31, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Davorin Vlahovic peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>>> Basically all of them. Netfilter is usually compiled as "m" in the config of
    >>>> any given kernel
    >>>
    >>> Haven't seen one in a veeery long time.

    >>
    >> My 2.6.24 config:

    >
    > Rolled your own?


    Yes, but the settings I showed were already there.

    >> Anyway, if you're running Debian you will find a config file in /boot.

    >
    > No, I roll my own kernels, original config files are long (long!) gone
    >


    I save them: config.2.6.24-ca-1

    They save a lot of time.

    --
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't
    lose.
    -- Bill Gates, The Road Ahead (1995)

  6. Re: Linux Banned At My School

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:09:07 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * Davorin Vlahovic peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-01-31, Linonut wrote:
    >>> * Davorin Vlahovic peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>>
    >>>>> Basically all of them. Netfilter is usually compiled as "m" in the
    >>>>> config of any given kernel
    >>>>
    >>>> Haven't seen one in a veeery long time.
    >>>
    >>> My 2.6.24 config:

    >>
    >> Rolled your own?

    >
    > Yes, but the settings I showed were already there.
    >
    >>> Anyway, if you're running Debian you will find a config file in /boot.

    >>
    >> No, I roll my own kernels, original config files are long (long!) gone
    >>

    >
    > I save them: config.2.6.24-ca-1
    >
    > They save a lot of time.


    CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
    CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y

    That saves the config file in the kernel and makes it accessable from the
    proc file system as /proc/config.gz. Quite handy if you misplace the
    original config file.

    Bug



+ Reply to Thread