E-SATA ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on E-SATA ? - Ubuntu ; How does one implement an E-SATA drive in Ubuntu? I can get it to work in Windows, but not in Ubuntu. I bought an external E-SATA/USB 2.0 drive thinking I could use USB, but USB support even in Windows with ...

  1. E-SATA ?

    How does one implement an E-SATA drive in Ubuntu? I can get it to work
    in Windows, but not in Ubuntu. I bought an external E-SATA/USB 2.0
    drive thinking I could use USB, but USB support even in Windows with
    this case is quite awful. E-SATA works, but I can only barely get USB
    to work and only sometimes. So, I would like to see if I could get
    E-SATA to work in Ubuntu if that is possible.

    I would have thought they would have been detected automatically, but
    for some reason they are not though I guess it is probably due to the
    fact that the E-SATA connections are going through a different SATA
    controller. In any case, it would be great if someone could tell me how
    to implement E-SATA in Ubuntu.

    Z.K.

  2. Re: E-SATA ?

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:14:43 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > How does one implement an E-SATA drive in Ubuntu? I can get it to work
    > in Windows, but not in Ubuntu. I bought an external E-SATA/USB 2.0
    > drive thinking I could use USB, but USB support even in Windows with
    > this case is quite awful. E-SATA works, but I can only barely get USB
    > to work and only sometimes. So, I would like to see if I could get
    > E-SATA to work in Ubuntu if that is possible.
    >
    > I would have thought they would have been detected automatically, but
    > for some reason they are not though I guess it is probably due to the
    > fact that the E-SATA connections are going through a different SATA
    > controller. In any case, it would be great if someone could tell me how
    > to implement E-SATA in Ubuntu.

    Is your o/s installed on a SATA disk?

  3. Re: E-SATA ?

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:33:10 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:14:43 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> How does one implement an E-SATA drive in Ubuntu? I can get it to work
    >> in Windows, but not in Ubuntu. I bought an external E-SATA/USB 2.0
    >> drive thinking I could use USB, but USB support even in Windows with
    >> this case is quite awful. E-SATA works, but I can only barely get USB
    >> to work and only sometimes. So, I would like to see if I could get
    >> E-SATA to work in Ubuntu if that is possible.
    >>
    >> I would have thought they would have been detected automatically, but
    >> for some reason they are not though I guess it is probably due to the
    >> fact that the E-SATA connections are going through a different SATA
    >> controller. In any case, it would be great if someone could tell me how
    >> to implement E-SATA in Ubuntu.
    >>

    > Is your o/s installed on a SATA disk?

    Sounds like your system needs to have a esata controller if its external.
    You can find the controllers on ebay which seem to work with Linux or take
    a look at a site like http://www.satasite.com. They list external storage
    drives, controller cards, etc. I recently needed to do the same so I found
    these things on ebay:

    eSATA, External SATA 4-Port RAID-0/1/10/1+S PCI Card
    2-BAY SATA-eSATA HOTSWAP HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE CASE

    The card above is rated to work with Linux. If you find a similar card it
    will probably put you back about 45.00 or so. Should be an easy issue of
    installing the card in the system, getting right cables, plugging in the
    drive and configuring the array or drive.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

+ Reply to Thread